Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide

I saw this article here:

And thought they need to catch up with the times.

My candidates are:
    Packers-Vikings
    Ravens-Steelers
    Giants-Eagles
    Giants-Cowboys
    Dolphins-Jets
    Patriots-Colts

The Chiefs-Raiders rivalry has been dead for the past decade since both franchises kicked the bucket

I also thought that the Browns-Steelers rivalry was old, old news and hasn't been competitive for more than 20 years.

Nonetheless, I'd rate the Colts-Patriots rivalry as the best of the past decade, followed closely by Steelers-Ravens (more one-sided, one less Super Bowl win between them, only one team won all of those Super Bowls), then with Packers Vikings a bit further behind (but still, for the most, part featuring two competitive teams)

Right now, I'd say Colts-Patriots is one of the best rivalries in all of sports (for the past decade), along with Sox-Yankees, Lakers-Kings, Suns-Spurs, Penguins,Red Wings, Bruins-Canadiens, Cubs-Cardinals, and Ravens=Steelers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide

I don't like Baseball much but I still Think Yankees-Sox. I need to see more hatred between the Pats and Colts. I would actually lean more towards the Pats and Jets because I think there is more bad blood between the organizations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking99. Show Harleyroadking99's posts

The games I personally look forward to every year are Pats/Jets and Celtics/Lakers but that is homer viewpoint. Is baseball a sport? :^]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide:
    I don't like Baseball much but I still Think Yankees-Sox. I need to see more hatred between the Pats and Colts. I would actually lean more towards the Pats and Jets because I think there is more bad blood between the organizations.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Pats / Jets as the best in the entire NFL?  Isn't that a little esoteric?

(Esoteric?  Could it mean sexy?  -> I think it's a science term.  -> Fellas, fellas, esoteric means delicious)... ewhite1065, Jets/Patriots is not a food
    *swing and a miss*

I'm hoping by your profile picture that you understand this reference...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide : Pats / Jets as the best in the entire NFL?  Isn't that a little esoteric? (Esoteric?  Could it mean sexy?  - /> I think it's a science term.  -> Fellas, fellas, esoteric means delicious)... ewhite1065, Jets/Patriots is not a food *swing and a miss* I'm hoping by your profile picture that you understand this reference...
    Posted by NickC1188

~Being a word-buff, I know that I've looked up and used Esoteric on several occassions (none lately though)... I thought it meant something akin to, "an archaic or eclectic knowledge of something possessed, known, used, or whatever by few (in the know), or an elite/select few."  He!!, For all I know these daysof learning-depravity, The meaning could be closer to "Tapioca", But seeing as I'm too lazy to type 8 or so letters in Google, so I'm just stickin' with that...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide : Pats / Jets as the best in the entire NFL?  Isn't that a little esoteric? (Esoteric?  Could it mean sexy?  - /> I think it's a science term.  - /> Fellas, fellas, esoteric means delicious)... ewhite1065, Jets/Patriots is not a food *swing and a miss* I'm hoping by your profile picture that you understand this reference...
    Posted by NickC1188

LOL...Yeah, I'm familiar with that episode..Sadly enough the older I get the more cartoons I watch. I don't know whether that's good or bad but I do wish somebody would bring back the classic cartoons.

By the way, Pats / Jets is a tad esoteric but it is a good rivalry. I hate them more than I hate the Yankees or the Colts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Pats/Jets=Esoteric...uh-uh, no.  Although this nation's media outlets are by and large East Coast concentric, and so Jets/Pats, like Yanks/Sox, might receive a little more coverage in the press...One can argue that ALL Team based Sports are regional, perhaps even insular and provincial.  But esoteric like some secret society masked with initiated knowledge...no (the term was used somewhat better as an aforementioned Table Spice).  This concludes Laz's uniquely eclectic, but never esoteric Grammar Excercise for the day...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Federer vs Nadal has been the best rivalry this decade in a top flight sport. There's not even a comparison.

As for best rivalry of all time, almost nothing matches the history of Red Sox vs Yankees. England vs Australia ashes series in Cricket is also up there. So is Brazil vs Argentina in soccer. 

To say Patriots vs Colts can even be considered amongst the best rivalries of all time is beyond absurd. The 3 rivalries I mentioned above have all had almost 100 years of history between two teams who both remained near the top of the sport for the entire 100 years. Pats vs Colts can't even compare.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

And your NHL example is also messed up. Canadiens / Bruins ?!!?

Canadiens vs Maple Leafs is most definitely the more storied rivalry. 

Amongst American Sports I'd say

1. Red Sox vs Yankees
    2. Canadiens vs Maple Leafs
    3. Celtics vs Lakers.

Amongst all sports

1. Red Sox vs Yankees
    2. England vs Australia ashes cricket
    3. Brazil vs Argentina soccer

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Just my take, "sports" that nobody cares about don't count.  So tennis and cricket, and badminton and ping pong and shuffleboard are out.  There's no rivalry between Tiger and Phil.  It's the hammer and nail analogy there. 

To be a great rivalry, there has to be fan passion, so Sox/Yanks rates, as do Bruins/Canadians and Celts/Lakers, Steelers/Ravens, etc. 

But no pro sports rivalry can match college football for the combination of fan passion and player passion.  I really don't think David Ortiz hates Johnny Damon or anybody else on the Yankees. 

Bama/Auburn, OSU/Michigan, Florida/FSU, WVU/Pitt, USC/UCLA, etc.  There's real hate there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Nadal / Federer is great.  I missed on that one.  I don't think of tennis as a major sport because it sits in the third row behind golf, soccer, and hockey, which take a backseat behind football, baseball, and basketball.

I don't know anything about hockey.  I posted a rivalry that I had hoped would appeal to Boston fans.

And I should have remembered Brazil / Argentina in soccer.

But cricket???  Never seen a minute of it in my life.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The games I personally look forward to every year are Pats/Jets and Celtics/Lakers but that is homer viewpoint. Is baseball a sport? :^]  
    Posted by Harleyroadking99

With Woods/Mickleson on this list you are wondering if baseball is a sport?

Might as well put Charles Hardy/Sonya Thomas.

ps: not a reflection on you, hrk. Just using your post as it began the theme of calling out other so-called sports.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Nadal / Federer is great.  I missed on that one.  I don't think of tennis as a major sport because it sits in the third row behind golf, soccer, and hockey, which take a backseat behind football, baseball, and basketball. I don't know anything about hockey.  I posted a rivalry that I had hoped would appeal to Boston fans. And I should have remembered Brazil / Argentina in soccer. But cricket???  Never seen a minute of it in my life.
    Posted by NickC1188

Why do people consider golf to be a sport? No offense/defense. Generally no head to head. Swing a stick, take a walk, swing a stick, take a walk, have someone carry your sticks...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightyfid. Show themightyfid's posts

Its the Sox Yanks, hands down. The Pats should mot be playing the Colts every single year. They are not even in the same division! So that eliminates them right there. The NFL is greedy and as soon as on of those teams starts to stink. This so-called rivalry will end. I'm sick of seeing the colts year after year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide : Just my take, "sports" that nobody cares about don't count.  So tennis and cricket, and badminton and ping pong and shuffleboard are out.  There's no rivalry between Tiger and Phil.  It's the hammer and nail analogy there.  To be a great rivalry, there has to be fan passion, so Sox/Yanks rates, as do Bruins/Canadians and Celts/Lakers, Steelers/Ravens, etc.  But no pro sports rivalry can match college football for the combination of fan passion and player passion.  I really don't think David Ortiz hates Johnny Damon or anybody else on the Yankees.  Bama/Auburn, OSU/Michigan, Florida/FSU, WVU/Pitt, USC/UCLA, etc.  There's real hate there.
    Posted by Muzwell

Dude even your college football examples are messed up.

Army vs Navy is easily the most storied college football rivalry. Since 1889!! The two programmes exist just to counter the other. You don't even mention it in your list. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide : Dude even your college football examples are messed up. Army vs Navy is easily the most storied college football rivalry. Since 1889!! The two programmes exist just to counter the other. You don't even mention it in your list. 
    Posted by murghkhor

Storied and highly irrelevant.

This game has become meaningless except for the cadets who have to stand throughout the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

College is where the real rivalries are:

UNC/Duke
    Kentucky/Louisville - ramped up recently.
    IU/Purdue
    USC/Notre Dame
    Texas/Oklahoma
    Oklahoma/Nebraska
    Ohio St./Michigan
    Kansas/Missouri

Many others.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

College is where the real rivalries are: UNC/Duke Kentucky/Louisville - ramped up recently. IU/Purdue USC/Notre Dame Texas/Oklahoma Oklahoma/Nebraska Ohio St./Michigan Kansas/Missouri Many others.
    Posted by underdogg

Good call.  I put this board up WAYYYYY too quickly without thinking it out enough.

HUGE misfire:
    Forgetting North Carolina / Duke (college basketball)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

College is where the real rivalries are: UNC/Duke Kentucky/Louisville - ramped up recently. IU/Purdue USC/Notre Dame Texas/Oklahoma Oklahoma/Nebraska Ohio St./Michigan Kansas/Missouri Many others.
    Posted by underdogg

Yes sir Mr dogg. I am a huge Nebraska fan and one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a conference pull was to separate Nebaraska and Oklahoma between north and south and not let them play each other every year. That was as big as any and a disappointment at least every other year when we don't meet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

E -

I don't know how old you are but as a kid I went down to IU to watch them play Nebraska and saw the best name in all of sports history, I M Hipp, just tear up the Hoosiers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide:
    I saw this article here: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/gallery/11_10_09_nfl_rivalries?pg=8 And thought they need to catch up with the times. My candidates are: Packers-Vikings Ravens-Steelers Giants-Eagles Giants-Cowboys Dolphins-Jets Patriots-Colts The Chiefs-Raiders rivalry has been dead for the past decade since both franchises kicked the bucket I also thought that the Browns-Steelers rivalry was old, old news and hasn't been competitive for more than 20 years. Nonetheless, I'd rate the Colts-Patriots rivalry as the best of the past decade, followed closely by Steelers-Ravens (more one-sided, one less Super Bowl win between them, only one team won all of those Super Bowls), then with Packers Vikings a bit further behind (but still, for the most, part featuring two competitive teams) Right now, I'd say Colts-Patriots is one of the best rivalries in all of sports (for the past decade), along with Sox-Yankees, Lakers-Kings, Suns-Spurs, Penguins,Red Wings, Bruins-Canadiens, Cubs-Cardinals, and Ravens=Steelers.
    Posted by NickC1188

Oh boy, you guys are gonna chastise me for this but...when I was a teen I was a die-hard Yankess fan. (I know, I know...). See I had no siblings or parents that were into pro sports so I just sort of fell into being a Yankees fan (being a CT 'Yankee' by birth). But that was back in the late 70s, the era of Guidry, Jackson, Nettles, et. al., and times have changed (I'm no longer into baseball at all. Although I must say that Nettles was then and still is probably the greatest 3rd baseman of all time IMO,...his diving horizontal catches were ridiculous. The man was crazy talented in his position on the diamond. Yeah I know, Brooks Robinson is still considered the diety of defensive 3rd base players.) 

At any rate, I really don't think any rival can, well, rival Yankees/Red Sox. It's just a rivalry that will never be equalled IMHO.

And for what it's worth, if I had to choose a BB team now, I would root for Boston. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide : Oh boy, you guys are gonna chastise me for this but...when I was a teen I was a die-hard Yankess fan. (I know, I know...). See I had no siblings or parents that were into pro sports so I just sort of fell into being a Yankees fan (being a CT 'Yankee' by birth). But that was back in the late 70s, the era of Guidry, Jackson, Nettles, et. al., and times have changed (I'm no longer into baseball at all. Although I must say that Nettles was then and still is probably the greatest 3rd baseman of all time IMO,...his diving horizontal catches were ridiculous. The man was crazy talented in his position on the diamond. Yeah I know, Brooks Robinson is still considered the diety of defensive 3rd base players.)  At any rate, I really don't think any rival can, well, rival Yankees/Red Sox. It's just a rivalry that will never be equalled IMHO. And for what it's worth, if I had to choose a BB team now, I would root for Boston. :)
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

We all have our skeletons in the closet CTLady... When I was a mid-1980's preteen I wore tight parachute pants, moussed AND gelled my feathered mullet hair-do right before I slipped on my velcro high-top sneakers and headed to school (for a very short time, I might have slipped oversized headphones over my hair-helmet, while turning The New Kids on The Block's "Hangin' Tough" on Full blast...this last one hurts...alot-and is why I'll now shave my head 'til death). 

Oh well, I had a nutty Freud/Kafka Professor in College that often would quote cryptic Scripture Passages...One went like this: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child.  When I became an adult, I put away these such childish play-things."  I'm pretty certain the author was refering to 80's mullets and a New Englander's brief love-affair with the NY Yankees, When He penned this phrase...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

I used to like the Yankees /Red Sox thing, but I'm really tired/bored with it now.  It comes out 50/50, and I think it has been way over hyped. The media will never let it NOT be a big rivalry.  I think the low game count in the NFL enhances the passion.  I find myself really alot more fired up when the Pats are playing now than when the Sox are.  The Pats/Colts thing is big. I can get excited about that without "hating" the other team. Both teams are class.  As long as you have 2 talented leaders, and 2 quality teams, that will be the case. As is a Pats/Jets game, even with the Jets being very mediocre overall, it's still very entertaining, given that any team can win on a given day, and gotta hand it to the fat guy with the big mouth. It "sells tickets".  How bout the Ryder Cup?  No mention.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Re: Best Rivalry in the NFL? In Sports? You decide : We all have our skeletons in the closet CTLady ... When I was a mid-1980's preteen I wore tight parachute pants, moussed AND gelled my feathered mullet hair-do right before I slipped on my velcro high-top sneakers and headed to school (for a very short time, I might have slipped oversized headphones over my hair-helmet, while turning The New Kids on The Block's " Hangin' Tough " on Full blast...this last one hurts...alot-and is why I'll now shave my head 'til death).  Oh well, I had a nutty Freud/Kafka Professor in College that often would quote cryptic Scripture Passages...One went like this: " When I was a child, I spake as a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child.  When I became an adult, I put away these such childish play-things ."  I'm pretty certain the author was refering to 80's mullets and a New Englander's brief love-affair with the NY Yankees, When He penned this phrase...
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Bwahahahah...mullets...gel...mousse...parachute pants...ah those were the days weren't they? lmao ;-) "Every little step I take..." lol Sorry but that Bobby Brown song still makes me groove. lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

CTladyluvsPats; careful friend. I recommend rehab.

Sections
Shortcuts