Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz?

i almost threw up a bit in my mouth when i heard Sal Paolantonio on a Herd archive from earlier today SAY that it was no doubt that Cruz had now dethroned welky or as menino would say, mr. weckler. yes, welk is now option #3 and likely wont be back next season, but i do consider him the #3 overall wr and definitely the best slot in the league. i love cruz for he is very versatile and can easily play both wr spots unlike welk. he's a burner playing the slot. as a downfield guy, he has a definite edge over welk but as for pure shiftiness in tight areas and running intermediate routes and getting open in any situation, i go with welk. i will give cruz the heads down lead though in the all-important salsa dancing category and overall brotha rhythm. its tough and yes cruz is closing but i must go with welk esp when u factor in experience and history. he also enjoys 2 burners on either side of him to open things up for him without complexed schemes to get him open. this is cruz's first good season, lets not put him in canton yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Re: Best Slot, Welk or Victor Cruz?

This is a joke, right?

Welker />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cruz

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Re: Best Slot, Welk or Victor Cruz?

Fawk Victor Cruz and NY too....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz?

not even close... this has to be a joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I had to look up who Victor Cruz was.  He catches 2/3 of the passes that Welker catches, probably because he's not open as much.  I wish Mr. Cruz the best in San Francisco. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonhoop74. Show jonhoop74's posts

The real question is: Why did we not a) know about his potential b) sign him?  You would think that the Pats scouts would have an idea about a guy like this right in their back yard. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Right now?  I'm going to say Cruz...that guy is making game changing plays on a pretty consistent basis.  Welker has him beat from yards 1-15...but Cruz owns from 15-99.  Cruz is a headache for a lot of defenses, but he's more likely to make a back breaking play. 

Welker was all over the place early on...but he's been contained a bit in the second half of the season.

I love Wes Welker...don't get me wrong.  But I think Cruz is a bit more explosive right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Let's see what the w/e brings stat wise and chat again....
    Victor's tank look a little light to me...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz?:
    I had to look up who Victor Cruz was.  He catches 2/3 of the passes that Welker catches, probably because he's not open as much.  I wish Mr. Cruz the best in San Francisco. Posted by Paul_K

Let's see, first...I didn't have to look Mr. Cruz up. He played his college ball in Amherst. Secondly, If we look at how the two QBs distributed the ball:

TE  
    Brady: 169 catches
    Manning 55 catches
    WR 
    Brady: 196 catches: Welker 122 (1569 yards) Branch 51 Johnson 15
    Manning:  213 Cruz 82 (1536 yards) Nicks 76 Manningham 39
    RB
    Brady: 37 catches
    Manning: 100 catches

Thirdly, Welker's YPC is 12.9 yards while Cruz' is 18.7.
    Welker was TARGETED 172 times while Cruz was targeted 131 times.
    They both had 9 TDs.

Victor Cruz is younger, faster AND playing on a team that has a better corp of pass catchers at the WR position. In fact, I might even put Jordy Nelson at par with the two with 15 TDs on 68 catches and 1263 yards (18.6 ypc) for the season.

One last thing, I never get into saying who is better or worse. I do recognize that  there are other teams and other players. I'm not saying anyone is better BUT in 2012 forward? I'd take both Cruz and Nelson over Wes Welker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Cruz is why the Giants are so inconsistent, the same way that DeSean Jackson is why the Eagles are so inconsistent

live by the big play, die by the big play.

Welker is MUCH more consistent

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

Very close , but I'd have go with Cruz by a little. Imho he was more of a playmaker/game-changer this year. Plus he had more yards playing in slot than Welker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz?":
    i almost threw up a bit in my mouth when i heard Sal Paolantonio on a Herd archive from earlier today SAY that it was no doubt that Cruz had now dethroned welky or as menino would say, mr. weckler. yes, welk is now option #3 and likely wont be back next season, but i do consider him the #3 overall wr and definitely the best slot in the league. i love cruz for he is very versatile and can easily play both wr spots unlike welk. he's a burner playing the slot. as a downfield guy, he has a definite edge over welk but as for pure shiftiness in tight areas and running intermediate routes and getting open in any situation, i go with welk. i will give cruz the heads down lead though in the all-important salsa dancing category and overall brotha rhythm. its tough and yes cruz is closing but i must go with welk esp when u factor in experience and history. he also enjoys 2 burners on either side of him to open things up for him without complexed schemes to get him open. this is cruz's first good season, lets not put him in canton yet. Posted by CAPITALIST_AVENGER
    Your a sad , pathetic man. You're post look and sound like a drunk 4th grader. You spam this board with you're terrible threads that make zero sense. You claim to go against the grain , but you're as bad as Joe public. Nice call on the Eagles BTW , great call. What time are they playing again?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Cruz is why the Giants are so inconsistent, the same way that DeSean Jackson is why the Eagles are so inconsistent live by the big play, die by the big play. Welker is MUCH more consistentPosted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Even mentioning the dude from Philly is a travesty.

Granted, Welker catches more of his targets than Cruz does but Cruz being the reason for Giant inconsistency? I'm not buying it. Manningham missed a bunch of games. Hicks spent some time hurt. Their backfield tandom was either AWOL or injured. Ballard, their replacement for Kevin Boss even spent some time hurt.

Frankly? T. Brady is the only part of the passing attack that would have been considered "questionable" for health reasons.

Consistency is an overused word. I really wonder how many 3-5 yard passes Wes Welker caught because the Pats running attack was less than effective.

All that being said?
    I love Green -Ellis as the money-man difference-maker this Sunday!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Typical Commie stupidity. Cruz is Manning's only go to guy. Brady has a choice between Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and Branch when he needs a first down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Typical Commie stupidity. Cruz is Manning's only go to guy. Brady has a choice between Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and Branch when he needs a first down.
    Posted by Evil2012

...and that's why both Cruz and Welker accounted for 22% of their team's first down huh?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Commie you got banned? LOL 

p.s. care to revisit your "Tebow is better than Brady in the clutch" one more time, with feeling? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from onesoxtwosoxredsoxbosox. Show onesoxtwosoxredsoxbosox's posts

In response to "Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz?": Your a sad , pathetic man. You're post look and sound like a drunk 4th grader. You spam this board with you're terrible threads that make zero sense. You claim to go against the grain , but you're as bad as Joe public. Nice call on the Eagles BTW , great call. What time are they playing again?
    Posted by 1guy1sharp

Pretty sure fourth graders know the difference between "your" (possessive pronoun) and "you're" (a contraction meaning "you are"). Even drunk ones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

You can't compare their seasons as slot recievers...because Welker hasn't played the slot this year. They play in completely different offensive styles, and have very different styles themselves. If you're going to compare systems at all, then look more to the 2007 Pats when Welker could actually play underneath Moss and Stallworth (he didn't have the numbers Welker and Moss did, but he was a threat that opened it up for Wes). Cruz is a solid guy with blazing speed, but this year's Welker isn't someone to compare him to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

This is no Joke Guys. I was driving up to Maine Yesterday listening to ESPN Radio and I heard this. I actually was thinking it was the show that came on right after the Colin Cowherd show but none the less he said it. I flipped my Sirius receiver the bird so fast I almost sprained my wrist. The thing is with these ESPN idiots, they just look for anybody and anything that they can say is better than the Patriots. Cruz is good but Welker's still the best. Between ESPN and the NFL Network yesterday I heard 6 analysts explain to me why the Ravens would beat the Pats and only 2 that picked the Pats. ( Cowherd for ESPN and Adam Schein for the NFL ). Let's face it- People around the country are just sick of seeing the Pats win. This is the way I used to feel about the Cowboys and the 9ers. Tough luck for them though because are window doesn't appear to be closing anytime in the near future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

Wes is such a versatile player, also is great because he is a true team player. He doesn't mind if it's not him but does what he is asked. His intensity gets the rest playing at a higher level. You can't just pick a player by the stats you have to look at the overall picture, and in that case It's Wes, he is just awesome to watch!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Re: Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz?":
    In Response to Re: Best Slot right now, Welk or Victor Cruz? : Pretty sure fourth graders know the difference between "your" (possessive pronoun) and "you're" (a contraction meaning "you are"). Even drunk ones. Posted by onesoxtwosoxredsoxbosox
    LOL I'm sure they do , as do I. I'm typing from my phone and as soon as I type certain letters it will print the most common word. I should have looked it over.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Oh yeah and I almost forgot. Sal's exact quote was, "Wes Welker has Been de-Throned as the best Slot receiver in the league".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Cruz is strictly BIG play.....   not your 3rd down, underneath, go to guy.  He's also at the end of many Eli Manning heave it up in the air prayer passes hoping my receiver catches them he is known for.  Have you ever noticed that?  In the GB game, that is what he did a few times... throw it down the field and hope for one of two things, sort of like his older brother, a catch or a PI call.  (got two of those against the Pats, didn't he?)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I am NOT saying Wes isn't awesome. Can I hear someone say "AMEN!" to the reality that Cruz is awesome as well? Sheeesh...and I'm a Pats fan. Rerun...give it a rest. You JUST realized that there are football fans and there are Patriot haters?

In 2006 I sat next to a Bears fan when the Pats played in The Meadowlands and beat the Giants. He was rooting for the Giants. I turned and asked..."Giants fan?" His response, "Oh no! I'm a Bears fan! I hate the Giants but I hate the Patriots even more!"
    The talking heads say things to flip your switch. Nevertheless, there is some credibility to the thought that Victor Cruz has become a great receiver too. His body of work is not equal to Welkrs but...

Stats:

Cruz 30% 20 +yards

9 TDs Long 99yds

Hicks 22% 20+yards

7 TDs Long 78yds

Welker 17% 20+yards

9 TDs Long 99yds

Gronkowski 24% 20+yds

17 TDs Long 52yds

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I am NOT saying Wes isn't awesome. Can I hear someone say "AMEN!" to the reality that Cruz is awesome as well? Sheeesh...and I'm a Pats fan. Rerun...give it a rest. You JUST realized that there are football fans and there are Patriot haters? In 2006 I sat next to a Bears fan when the Pats played in The Meadowlands and beat the Giants. He was rooting for the Giants. I turned and asked..."Giants fan?" His response, "Oh no! I'm a Bears fan! I hate the Giants but I hate the Patriots even more!" The talking heads say things to flip your switch. Nevertheless, there is some credibility to the thought that Victor Cruz has become a great receiver too. His body of work is not equal to Welkrs but...
    Posted by WesternOregon

There is your key right there...  he has come out of no where this season and there are folks who put him up there with Welker?  One season of amazing catches and stats do not make a career.  Let him do this for the length of time Welker has and then we'll talk.  These "flavor of the moment" things are amazing!

Sections
Shortcuts