2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Re: BEST TE in football signs new deal

o i thought you meant ben watson

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I thought he meant Daniel Graham

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I hate these "Best" arguments.  There are too many variables in play.  Gates is darn good though, and his is certainly one of the best playing today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

"Gronkowski, one of three second-round draft picks (42d overall) by the Patriots, received a four-year, $4.44 million deal."

Sometimes the best tight end is the one that does the job while he saves the team money under the salary cap.  Gronk would have been the first tight end in the draft except for his back injury, and at this point he doesn't seem to have a back injury.

For starters, Gronk is three inches taller than Gates, with longer arms too.  We'll see about the rest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

How many rings does he have?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to BEST TE in football signs new deal:
    Antonio Gates - 5 years 36 million /20.4 million guaranteed http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/28/gates-signs-extension/
    Posted by jbolted

yeah, and what's that got you? the chargers have choked in every big they've had over the past 5 years.

heack even a rookie QB for the lambs got more than that-78 mil for 6 yrs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: BEST TE in football signs new deal:
    I thought he meant Daniel Graham
    Posted by Rocky

Now thats funny

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

zero rings like the rest of the chargets

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

And See, I thought that this thread was on Vernon Davis...

#5 Straight-Up TIE (in no order):  Owen Daniels & Heath Miller...

Miller lacking somewhat in Big Passing Play Potential, Compared with being a SOLID Blocker; Daniels lacking somwhat in Big Blocking Potential, Compared with being a Solid Pass-Catcher.  Neither will ooOOh and aaAAh you, Yet NEITHER have ANY seious flaws to their game and skill-sets imho.  Seriously, I'd be ECSTATIC if NE's Rob Gronkowski plays JUST LIKE either of these TE's...

#4 Straight-Up TIE (in no order):  Jermichael Finley & Kellen Winslow...

2 Head-Cases, with ALL the physical tools at their whim.  Admittedly imho Jermichael Finley SHOULD be perhaps 1 single step above Winslow, but Winslow=Buccaneers, while Finley=Packers, AND Winslow=90% headcase, while Finley=95% headcase.  Seriously, IF either one of these guys put their cr#p together for more than 2-3 months, they could be #1...

#3 Tony Gonzalez...What's this dude, 40 yo?  This AIN'T a lifetime achievement award, but even an older, slower Gonzalez IS still pretty absurd overall.

#2 Straight-Up TIE (in no order):  Jason Witten & Antonio Gates...

Witten IS the best blocking TE, but he's on a stacked team usually.  Witten doesn't have the TD #'s (red-zone threat) nor Average (game-breaking runs) That Gates has; Gates and Witten's Total Yards are extremely close; Also Imo Witten/Gates BOTH have great hands too though.

Gates IS the best pass-catching TE, but he too has minor flaws.  Not asked to (as much), BE a blocker...and he ISN'T a good blocker.  Chargers most often have a potent Offensive Team O-Line, Other WRs, Good QB, Good RBs); Past Injuries; Although NOTHING should take away from ates INSANE pass-catching abilities, Speed, TDs, and BIG YAC

#1 Vernon Davis- Better the blocker that Gates is, Better red-zone target (5 more TDs).  2nd under Gates in Average, and 2nd or third in yards...BUT 10 X less to work with in terms of 49ers vs Chargers Offense (including WR corp, O-Line, and more than anything QB).  Leader on and off-field; 25 or 26 yo (Gates=29).  This past season was the first big one for Davis in terms of receiving #'s-Before, asked to be a blocker with SF's weak pass-protection (In otherwords imo, his SINGLE flaw-Not AS soft hands, gets a reprieve when compared to flaws in other TEs vs Pros in other TEs):
    Davis's blocking skills:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/777/how-vernon-davis-fits-into-49ers

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

And See, I thought that this thread was on Vernon Davis ... #5 Straight-Up TIE (in no order):  Owen Daniels & Heath Miller ... Miller lacking somewhat in Big Passing Play Potential, Compared with being a SOLID Blocker; Daniels lacking somwhat in Big Blocking Potential, Compared with being a Solid Pass-Catcher.  Neither will ooOOh and aaAAh you, Yet NEITHER have ANY seious flaws to their game and skill-sets imho.  Seriously, I'd be ECSTATIC if NE's Rob Gronkowski plays JUST LIKE either of these TE's... #4 Straight-Up TIE (in no order):  Jermichael Finley & Kellen Winslow ... 2 Head-Cases, with ALL the physical tools at their whim.  Admittedly imho Jermichael Finley SHOULD be perhaps 1 single step above Winslow, but Winslow=Buccaneers, while Finley=Packers, AND Winslow=90% headcase, while Finley=95% headcase.  Seriously, IF either one of these guys put their cr#p together for more than 2-3 months, they could be #1... #3 Tony Gonzalez ...What's this dude, 40 yo?  This AIN'T a lifetime achievement award, but even an older, slower Gonzalez IS still pretty absurd overall. #2 Straight-Up TIE (in no order):  Jason Witten & Antonio Gates ... Witten IS the best blocking TE, but he's on a stacked team usually.  Witten doesn't have the TD #'s (red-zone threat) nor Average (game-breaking runs) That Gates has; Gates and Witten's Total Yards are extremely close; Also Imo Witten/Gates BOTH have great hands too though. Gates IS the best pass-catching TE, but he too has minor flaws.  Not asked to (as much), BE a blocker...and he ISN'T a good blocker.  Chargers most often have a potent Offensive Team O-Line, Other WRs, Good QB, Good RBs); Past Injur ies ; Although NOTHING should take away from ates INSANE pass-catching abilities, Speed, TDs, and BIG YAC #1 Vernon Davis - Better the blocker that Gates is, Better red-zone target (5 more TDs).  2nd under Gates in Average, and 2nd or third in yards...BUT 10 X less to work with in terms of 49ers vs Chargers Offense (including WR corp, O-Line, and more than anything QB).  Leader on and off-field; 25 or 26 yo (Gates=29).  This past season was the first big one for Davis in terms of receiving #'s-Before, asked to be a blocker with SF's weak pass-protection (In otherwords imo, his SINGLE flaw-Not AS soft hands, gets a reprieve when compared to flaws in other TEs vs Pros in other TEs): Davis's blocking skills: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/777/how-vernon-davis-fits-into-49ers
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

I thought he meant Adrian William Klemm

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Yep. I've always heard how talented san diego players are... it's just that they can not seal the deal!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Unfortunately, he signed with the CHARGERS, thereby wasting his efforts.  Hope he enjoys the money and the climate.  Norv Turner has neutralized more talent than even Wade Phillips could.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

and we care about Gates on a Patriots board why?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

In Response to Re: BEST TE in football signs new deal : Now thats funny
    Posted by jbolted

just as funny as your avatar? a charget fan with a raider avatar..duh

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to BEST TE in football signs new deal:
    [QUOTE]Antonio Gates - 5 years 36 million /20.4 million guaranteed http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/28/gates-signs-extension/
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Granted, he was the best TE in football but he's on the downside of his career at this point. He just turned 30 and he's taken a lot of hits in his career.

I've had the same foot problem he has (plantar faciitis) for years and it means that every step you take is accompanied with a certain amount of pain. No doubt he'll  get better medical treatment than I have access to, but I've been told that the problem can be made better but just cannot be "fixed".  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

you guys are right
    79 catches for 1157 yards with 14.6yds per catch is not that good, especially for TE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BEST TE in football signs new deal : just as funny as your avatar? a charget fan with a raider avatar..duh
    Posted by HRK103[/QUOTE]
    Dillweed
    I guess this gives you permission to put a Kenny O'brien Jet picture on your avatar.

Did you notice that the picture is Jamarcus Russell. It a tribute to the Raiders  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

And now I see you have a picture of Gunslinger Burress' SB catch, I guess trying to make a painful point about how we LOST that one, and shattered the "perfect" season.  Only problem is this- our team actually have WON some, (three is the number, you may recall) and did will two with the guy YOUR team said wasn't good enough.  Which is why your team has won ZERO.  They need to rename your team the San Diego Squanders.