Best team in the AFC in 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Best team in the AFC in 2012?

I'll give the Pats the slight edge at number 1 because of consistency and Brady...but that team down in Houston looks like the most complete team. Defense is strong on the line, backers, and defensive backs. Strong oline. Great running game. They probably need one more WR to compliment Johnson...and Schaub is good, not great, but i think good enough to win playoff games.

Ravens will always play us well. Steelers are good too

Chargers can beat any team in the league; however, they make a ton of stupid mistakes.

Still have a decent shot next season. This isn't the NFC where I see the GMEN, Packers, Saints, Eagles (I think after a year of playing together theyll get it together), Lions (I think theyre ready to make another step), Bears (Will be competitive when healthy), 49ers, Falcons and even the rising Panthers as legitimate playoff contenders.

Peyton Manning's new team may also be a contender, whomever that may be. AFC is weak, other than the Texans, the best teams are aging (Steelers and Ravens D, and Patriots Brady). 

Pats still need to learn how to close playoff games. Giving up leads in the championship game against the Colts and Super Bowls against the Gmen...We nearly blew that Ravens game too...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Best team in the AFC in 2012?

I agree, provisionally. Need to pick up an outside receiving threat, and make one or two moves on D. But yeah, they're right there at the top.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Pats should be right near the top of the AFC again next year.  I agree that they need to improve at closing out playoff games, but at the same time I'm happy that they got the "haven't won a playoff game since '07" monkey off of their backs this season.  Tough way to end it, but definitaly a sucessful season all together.  Keep in mind, there are 32 teams trying to win the SB every year.  Only 1 can.  Not an easy task.  The fact that we have been in the Big Game 5 times in the past 11 years, winning it 3 times, is pretty incredible.  Tough to look at the positives today in the wake of a tough loss, but the future looks bright for the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Houston...Schaubb doestgo down this year Texans win SB

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

They will be fine . I just hope we use all our picks for defense or focus on the whole team obviously but  with emphasis on the D...........Brandon LLoyd would be a nice down field threat that would fit in well.......I am bummed for sure but Love My PATRIOTS .............GREAT YEAR GUYS

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Texans have to be in the conversation.  The Defense is for real and with a healthy Schaub, big if, they may be the most balanced team in the AFC but there is no reason to think the Pats can't be back on top of the AFC next year.

The AFC is definitely the conference you want to be in for the next few years, Pitt and Baltimore are old on defense and there really are not any scary up and coming teams other than Houston.  I guess the wild card in this discussion is Peyton, if he goes to Miami and his healthy, that becomes an interesting team real fast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Every team has to deal with injuries.  Houston didn't really have a quarterback for the playoffs and that hurt them, but then again they didn't have a quarterback to start with.

No, Houston wasn't playing like a 13-3 team this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them as second best in 2012, as the Ravens and Pittsburgh both get a year older.

New England is in a rebuilding year.  They have massive numbers of rookie and second year draft choices who will be getting better, and then they have two late first rounders and two second rounders this year too.

San Diego has Norv.  As long as San Diego has Norv, you can't count them out.  Count them out of what is the question.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In Response to Re: Best team in the AFC in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Every team has to deal with injuries.  Houston didn't really have a quarterback for the playoffs and that hurt them, but then again they didn't have a quarterback to start with. No, Houston wasn't playing like a 13-3 team this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them as second best in 2012, as the Ravens and Pittsburgh both get a year older. New England is in a rebuilding year.  They have massive numbers of rookie and second year draft choices who will be getting better, and then they have two late first rounders and two second rounders this year too. San Diego has Norv.  As long as San Diego has Norv, you can't count them out.  Count them out of what is the question.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Houston was playing like a 13-3 team...had Schaub not been lost, they probably couldve gone 13-3...

Rebuilding year argument for the Pats doesn't mean anything. Having young players doesnt mean much if they turn out as busts. Plus, look at what Houston did to their defense. Took one season to go from horrible to one of the best. Young players like Watt, Reed and Barwin have been pretty good since theyve started.

Pats need to make this next draft count. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Hey, it's been the Charger's year for the past 6 years or so, it's bound to happen this year.....right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Every team has to deal with injuries.  Houston didn't really have a quarterback for the playoffs and that hurt them, but then again they didn't have a quarterback to start with. No, Houston wasn't playing like a 13-3 team this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them as second best in 2012, as the Ravens and Pittsburgh both get a year older. New England is in a rebuilding year.  They have massive numbers of rookie and second year draft choices who will be getting better, and then they have two late first rounders and two second rounders this year too. San Diego has Norv.  As long as San Diego has Norv, you can't count them out.  Count them out of what is the question.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Of course every team has injuries but if you're talking about next year, a Houston team that nearly won 2 play-off games with a rookie 3rd string QB is absolutely in the discussion.  With Schaub, they have a very balanced offense and might just have the best D in the AFC going forward.  They also play in a division that doesn't look to be particular strong next year and that always helps.

If I was going to rank the AFC teams for 2012, assuming health  1. Houston 2. NE 3. Pitt 4. Baltimore 5. everyone else   wild card= Peyton.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Hou will get a bye next season...barring another unfortunate injury scenario. They were without schaub, williams and johnson for much of the season and still made it far. theyre stacked.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Hou will get a bye next season...barring another unfortunate injury scenario. They were without schaub, williams and johnson for much of the season and still made it far. theyre stacked.
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]

Agree.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

It's so hard to do before the draft and free agency but I'll do it anyway. The Patriots are lucky not to be in the NFC with the Packers, Giants, Saints, Falcons, Eagles, Lions, 49ers, Cowboys and not to mention if Manning goes to the Redskins or Cardinals.

01. New England Patriots
    This is assuming they keep Welker and make the right moves in the draft. But other than a few questions on D and at WR, the Pats are set up nicely. They have a lot of young talent on offense (Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley) and D (those LB's are pretty solid) plus they'll have confindence to know that they do have the ability to make it to the Super Bowl.

02. Houston Texan
    They're ready for that next step, people thought it was going to be this year but injuries hurt the team a lot. That D is for real and the O does have a lot of weapons.

03. Baltimore Ravens
    I put the Ravens over the Steelers just cause they have a few more weapons. I think this next year is the year where their D really starts to show its age.

04. Pittsburgh Steelers
    The Ravens and Steelers seem to be in the same position, both have aging D's and their O sometimes isn't always good enough to carry them through. But they'll still be contenders.

05. San Diego Chargers
    I predict them to win their division every year because they always have the ability to. They have the talent it just seems like they beat themselves so man time. And if Manning leaves the AFC, they will have the second best QB in the AFC. 

Besides those few its a crap shoot. Are the Bengals a flash in the pan? Can the Jets get their sh*t together? Can mediocre teams like the Titans, Raiders and Broncos go anywhere?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

I think Pittsburgh with a healthy Roethlisberger are the top team in the AFC. I think Houston with a healthy Schaub is pretty good too. The Patriots are in that mix though for sure. You have to assume the Ravens cannot keep this up much longer.

The bigger problem is that the NFC probably has four teams (Packers, Saints, 49ers, and Giants) who can beat any of those team in a Super Bowl.

The Patriots have allegedly been rebuilding this defense for about 5 years now. When will it be rebuilt? A lot of the young players are coming to the end of their contracts soon and will need to be re-signed. Ihedigbo who started 12 games at safety is a FA this year. Arrington and Chung (who were probably the top to DBs on this team) both have one year left. As do Spikes, Pryor and Brace. All told, the Patriots have something like 14 FA's in 2013.

The d-line was not that young. Shaun Ellis is going to be 35 next year and is probably done. Carter is going to be 33 and coming off a major knee injury (if they resign him at all).  Warren is going to be 34 and is probably done as well.
    So you are resting your hope on Wilfork (who is getting into his 30s, but is still the best player on the Patriots defense), Love and Deaderick basically.

Do you really think that Sterling Moore is the answer at CB. They need to lock up Arrington and Chung as well. They had to move McCourty because he was getting torched at CB. Mayo and Spikes are still young coming into their own (although neither looks great against pass). Overall though, I am not as optimistic on the defense as presently constituted as you are. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'll tell you after FA and draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

As I said in another post Peyton will end up in Houston, that will make them # 1. Miami will do all it can to get him as well so if that happens Miami is # 1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Steelers and Texans. Patriots if they can actually make some changes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

pats got the draft picks and money to improve the team, we'll just have to wait and see

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

[QUOTE]As I said in another post Peyton will end up in Houston, that will make them # 1. Miami will do all it can to get him as well so if that happens Miami is # 1.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

I sPeyton(havong missed an entire season) really an upgrade over Shaub? Remember Brady's first year back, good numbers but anyone that watched him play knew he wasn't the same guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best team in the AFC in 2012? : I sPeyton(havong missed an entire season) really an upgrade over Shaub? Remember Brady's first year back, good numbers but anyone that watched him play knew he wasn't the same guy.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

Peyton with 3 vertbra fused and a shackel on each leg is an upgrade over Shaub. Peyton is fine and his Indy situation is not over health but Salary Cap space and money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

right on about Norv! I agree 100%

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Pats have the best O in the AFC. ANd it is gettting better! Two rookie O linemen have a year under their belt. Connolly looking very good. Waters has a year in the system and with this group under his belt. However the O line shakes out it looks like one of the most well rounded units in the league.

Add to the O line the TE monster - no team matches up there at all.
    Add to the above Wes Welker.
    Add to the above an intriguing group of RBs: Vereen may end up being the best all around RB in the AFC (yes, he has to do it on the field... I am stating what I saw of his college play). Ridley was impressive.
    Add to the above TB. Still the best QB in the AFC.

Going over to the D this is a work in progress. You saw how much improved they became; first after the dumping of Haynesworth and then in the playoffs. Yes the D is incomplete. It has flaws. In both the Ravens game and the Giants game they could not make the final stop (and the O didnt nail down the victory either). But it is an improving unit with a very good core (Vinny , Mayo, Spikes, Chung). Add two or three players to the edge fo the D - a DE, an OLB, a CB (Dowling??) and this D is a top 8 D in this league come playoff time.

They have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. They have cap space. They are a place veterans want to go to (not the ONLY place but one of the top choices if you are looking to get a shot at going deep into the playoffs).

Compare this up and coming Pats team to the:
    1. Ravens - aging D is still good but not what it once was. Their O is more versatile with their WRs but it just isn't special with a decent but not a special QB. You have to expect them to still be very good and tough but I don't see them as being as good as the Pats.
    2. Pittsburgh - D is very good but showing cracks. O is good when completely healthy but not the depth and O line is a little suspect anyway. Tough team like the Ravens but not up and coming... .more like trying to maintain their level of play.
    3. Houston - looks very good. D and O. Best they have been. Not sure about the chemistry, not sure about depth, not sure about whether they have the coaching and intensity. They might. They are the greatest unknown here.
    4. SD - falling star.... some good marquis players but not a special team and they have a bum for a coach. In case you don't know coaching is more critical than even QB. 
    5. Denver - rising team but is there a ceiling because of Tebow? Also, they just do not have the complete package as a team yet in any case. If they can make some key upgrades this year maybe they challenge. Hard to say unless Tebow can make a big jump in his passing game.
    6. Cincinnati - Tough and some good young players. I just do not see them as being consistent enough. Maybe it is the legacy of their coach. He has been there a long time and has never accomplished anything.
    X. Speaking of a coach who has not accomplished anything, the Jets and Rex Ryan are not a team I especially fear. They have good players and are tough. But they are not just in disarray. They are flawed. They will win some games. But so will every team in the league. 

No, I do not see any AFC team looking more impressive than the Pats going into next season. Houston is the one team you could make a case for. But neither the team, nor the coach nor the QB has shown clutchness or long term consistency. This could be their year. But they will have to step it up. And I do see the Pats NOT sitting still but being on the rise in terms of the quality of the team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]Pats have the best O in the AFC. ANd it is gettting better! Two rookie O linemen have a year under their belt. Connolly looking very good. Waters has a year in the system and with this group under his belt. However the O line shakes out it looks like one of the most well rounded units in the league. Add to the O line the TE monster - no team matches up there at all. Add to the above Wes Welker. Add to the above an intriguing group of RBs: Vereen may end up being the best all around RB in the AFC (yes, he has to do it on the field... I am stating what I saw of his college play). Ridley was impressive. Add to the above TB. Still the best QB in the AFC. Going over to the D this is a work in progress. You saw how much improved they became; first after the dumping of Haynesworth and then in the playoffs. Yes the D is incomplete. It has flaws. In both the Ravens game and the Giants game they could not make the final stop (and the O didnt nail down the victory either). But it is an improving unit with a very good core (Vinny , Mayo, Spikes, Chung). Add two or three players to the edge fo the D - a DE, an OLB, a CB (Dowling??) and this D is a top 8 D in this league come playoff time. They have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. They have cap space. They are a place veterans want to go to (not the ONLY place but one of the top choices if you are looking to get a shot at going deep into the playoffs). Compare this up and coming Pats team to the: 1. Ravens - aging D is still good but not what it once was. Their O is more versatile with their WRs but it just isn't special with a decent but not a special QB. You have to expect them to still be very good and tough but I don't see them as being as good as the Pats. 2. Pittsburgh - D is very good but showing cracks. O is good when completely healthy but not the depth and O line is a little suspect anyway. Tough team like the Ravens but not up and coming... .more like trying to maintain their level of play. 3. Houston - looks very good. D and O. Best they have been. Not sure about the chemistry, not sure about depth, not sure about whether they have the coaching and intensity. They might. They are the greatest unknown here. 4. SD - falling star.... some good marquis players but not a special team and they have a bum for a coach. In case you don't know coaching is more critical than even QB.  5. Denver - rising team but is there a ceiling because of Tebow? Also, they just do not have the complete package as a team yet in any case. If they can make some key upgrades this year maybe they challenge. Hard to say unless Tebow can make a big jump in his passing game. 6. Cincinnati - Tough and some good young players. I just do not see them as being consistent enough. Maybe it is the legacy of their coach. He has been there a long time and has never accomplished anything. X. Speaking of a coach who has not accomplished anything, the Jets and Rex Ryan are not a team I especially fear. They have good players and are tough. But they are not just in disarray. They are flawed. They will win some games. But so will every team in the league.  No, I do not see any AFC team looking more impressive than the Pats going into next season. Houston is the one team you could make a case for. But neither the team, nor the coach nor the QB has shown clutchness or long term consistency. This could be their year. But they will have to step it up. And I do see the Pats NOT sitting still but being on the rise in terms of the quality of the team.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

Waters is contemplating retirement. And you cant assume that young players/another season in the system leads to improvement. (i.e. McCourty)