Better not sleep on these Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMichalski12. Show JMichalski12's posts

Re: Better not sleep on these Pats

I totally agree. Still need to generate a pass rush and tighten up the D but ill take the quiet road to the super bowl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

You guys don't sound remarkably different from the Jets or their fans.  Isn't it a bit premature to think of this Patriot team as going to the superbowl?  They seem a year or two away, although I certainly hope they are better on defense.  There are still glaring deficiencies there, whereas the offense looks very potent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Better not sleep on these Pats:
    [QUOTE]You guys don't sound remarkably different from the Jets or their fans.  Isn't it a bit premature to think of this Patriot team as going to the superbowl?  They seem a year or two away, although I certainly hope they are better on defense.  There are still glaring deficiencies there, whereas the offense looks very potent.

Posted by chaucer[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think its just the same team from last year expect they are faster in the secondary and a very balanced offense. The lack of pressure upfront is goona become apparent when we go against MR. Manning, other than that we're good. I see somewhere between 9-12 wins. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]You guys don't sound remarkably different from the Jets or their fans.  Isn't it a bit premature to think of this Patriot team as going to the superbowl?  They seem a year or two away, although I certainly hope they are better on defense.  There are still glaring deficiencies there, whereas the offense looks very potent.

Maybe you should learn to read more carefully.  None of the posts says anything about going to the Super Bowl.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

I don't think anyone is talking Superbowl at all. All I'm saying is that there are naysayers out there who suddenly feel that NE is an 8-8 team or worse. Not gonna happen. Honestly, last years team was not that good and they still won 10 games. Unlike all these blow-hard Jet fans and pundits who all of a sudden have the Jets as this big super power off a 9 win season and a free pass into the playoffs ,Pats fans are just keeping quite and going about their business without all this windowdressing that is the NYJ's.
    Pats are STILL the team to beat in the East and they have gotten younger, faster and I believe they are more focused as well..and that includes BB who I think realizes he made some mistakes last season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

We're going to the Superbowl Baby. I'm on the bandwagon already and strapped in for the ride. Alllll Aboarrrrrd!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

They're looking good. I like the balance on offense.

man Spikes looks big out there, reminds me of McGinnest

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Glaring is a pretty strong word.  We certainly misfired plenty on offense last year, put the defense on the field more than we should have, in some bad field positions.  We still won the AFC East, and have not subtracted significantly.  Bodden was a find, I think we have a decent corner opposite, in either McCourty or Butler, LBs are better with the addition of Spikes and McKenzie and subtraction of Thomas (who still didn't find a job, I believe).  I'm not seeing a glaring there at all.  I'm seeing solid, steady, young.  Yes, they need time.  An offense that can stay on the field should buy them some time.  I'm fairly pleased, you don't win until you play, but I like what I see so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]They're looking good. I like the balance on offense. man Spikes looks big out there, reminds me of McGinnest
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Spikes is going to be a Monster, you can already see it just like when Mayo came into the league.

I just want to see Cunningham now. Sukkks that he got hurt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

One guy posts something about the SB and you take it to the bank.  It seems you have missed the primus of this post.

I do agree with you on the year or two away from being in the SB again.  If the Pats make this year it would be a great surprise to me.  After next year I do expect the Pats to be back in the SB. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]Yup. Been saying this since the draft.  Many trolls and irrational Pats fans are just blind to it.    All of a sudden BB and Brady are not great and NE is not rebuilding the right way.  They should be desperate like Minny or the Jets.  Avoid injuries and watch them not blow 4 or 5 games this season because of a one dimensional offense that can't finish. Upgrades are all over the field. I hope they can bolster the roster by clipping some quality veterans from other teams who get cut.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Russ, I heard TB talk about being driven to the point where he wants points every trip. I really think you'll need to put up 27+ to beat them and the question is going to be can the D hold them under that.

I think they can

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I run my numbers.  Jets fans can't do this.  The Patriots currently rank significantly stronger at 14.0 victories out of 16 than #2, the New Orleans Saints at 12.7.

We didn't see a pass rush last night.  The top two rushers were both injured, and both are expected back by September.  We saw Burgess, who only practiced for three days before taking the field as a starter, and Murrell, who got a sack last week but probably isn't that good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Better not sleep on these Pats : One guy posts something about the SB and you take it to the bank.  It seems you have missed the primus of this post. I do agree with you on the year or two away from being in the SB again.  If the Pats make this year it would be a great surprise to me.  After next year I do expect the Pats to be back in the SB. 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    Actually, it was three guys, Gary, and I do get the general thrust of the post.  So, if you were the offensive coordinator of a patriot opponent how would you attack the Pats D?  Neither Burgess nor Banta cain is solid against the run or setting the edge so i would expect sweeps, pitches, and power left and right.  neither one of them rushes the QB all that well either so i do think the defense has some real vulnerabilities.  I don't overreact I just think some Patriot fans are expecting too much and when the team loses a game or two they frequently go the other way and bad mouth the team.  That's my point

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]We're going to the Superbowl Baby. I'm on the bandwagon already and strapped in for the ride. Alllll Aboarrrrrd!
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

All aboard the Super Bowl train!  Get on board or get the f*ck off!

Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

A great offense or a great defense helps mask the weaknesses of the weaker of the two.

The Pats look like they have made improvements since last season in addition to having Brady AND Moss back from injuries (both were hurt last year though they both played through it). They might well have their first CAPABILITY to run a truly balanced O since Corey Dillon. And with that extremeley explosive offense of recent. And with more dangerous weapons to throw to than at any time in Brady's career. Their O is very tantalizing at this point. They could have the best  pasing attack in the league but if not they will likely be in the top 3. And of the teams that end up in the top 5 passing attacks in the league they could end up having the best running game of the lot.

On D they have shored up the ILB spot which was a critical need. They have improved safeties and corners through development of youth (Merriweather, Chung, Butler) and possibly with this years top pick.

Is all this enough to overcome the remaining weaknesses in the passrush and OLB in general? Barring injuries, which can change the equation for any team, it will certainly make the difference against most teams in the league. Agasint  the Colts and NO it is harder to say.

The Jets look like a very tough and good team and they have some real good players on O. Their D is designed to be able to handle the Pats O but the question is whether any D can handle the very best Os in this league today - with the rules being what they are. Both the Jets and the Pats have questions and potential. The hype is with the Jets. The smart money, the dispationate money leans towards the Pats but acknowledges that it could go either way.

Game 2 will be hyped and it will set a tone.

But at seasons end it will be entertaining to see whether or not L Tomlinson is smiling or feels like he just can't beat these guys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Better not sleep on these Pats : All aboard the Super Bowl train!  Get on board or get the f*ck off!
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

There's enough room for me to kick my foot up on this wagon. In 2007, I couldn't find the bathroom on this wagon. 

@Cauncey, I wouldn't worry about our pass rush just yet. Let's see how Banta-Cain, with the team up of either Cunningham or Burgess, does when he is in the game. We got better at every position form last year. "Glaring holes" from last year were Adalius Thomas, RCB, pass-rush, TE, 3rd WR, Offensive game planning, defensive schemes and QB returning from a huge injury. 

Thomas is gone, RCB will be filled by either Butler or McCourty, We have 3 new TEs, Tate, Edelman and Price will fill in well as a 3rd WR, O'brien seems like he's coming into his own this year as the OC, Belichick will basically be the DC this year with Patricia and Johnson as his assistants and Tom Brady looks like he's returning to form this year. 

The pass-rush is the same unit as last year, but reports from camp say that Cunningham looks quick off the ball. Let's see how Cunningham does against opposing team's RTs before we say NE doesn't have a pass-rush. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Does anyone out there have any inkling of what is wrong with Cunningham.Initially I thought I read somewhere that he turned an ankle.Since then nada,zip,zilch,zero,nothing other than he isn't practicing and wasn't even taken to Atlanta.Obviously B.B. could teach thew CIA something about keeping secrets,but lord man give us hint.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree, this team looks faster and more physical than last year. young players look exciting. brady looks energized. one thing that seems like a key to me is fragile fred staying healthy. he was a stud against atlanta, and if he can play a full season he can do wonders for this team (especially in tandem with morris, who i think has been really good the whole time he's been here, but he always gets hurt too). i see that as a big key.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I got first class tickets for the SB train!!!!! :)

Go Pats!