Bias still out there - kills ESPN to give NE credit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Re: Bias still out there - kills ESPN to give NE credit

We turn to these "analysts" to listen to unbiased analyzing, but rarely is that the case.  Some guys can and do do it, but for the most part as has been mentioned, these are ex players and coaches who have history and often in cases, bitterness and resentfulness towards certain individuals or teams because of it.  The Patriots have two things going against them. 

1.  They are old hat.  It's hard to excited and talk about something that has become as common as the sun rising.  Even by us fans, they are kind of held to a different standard than everyone else. 

2.  Success breeds contempt.  5 Superbowls in 11 years is insane, and a whole lot of people have just come to hate the Patriots because they've rolled over and mowed down so many other teams along the way many many times over now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Mike-J-D's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember 2 bogus calls that went the Texans' way and one that went the Pats' way.  ESPN plays to ratings.  The majority of the country dislikes the Pats so most of the time, they'll pander to the lowest common denominator.

[/QUOTE]

good point

[/QUOTE]

I was about to post the same thing...  Pandering to the legions of haters...

As for the pi penalties.  I've started threads about this problem and how the penalty is rarely completely justified relative to the foul.

Without a rule change to have an intermediate call (like running into the kicker vs. Personal foul...) where offense gets 10-15 yards instead of point of foul based on severity, these calls will continue and will suck for defenses .

As a side note, did you see dc Philips have a flying conniption over that call...?  Nothing like setting a whiney example for your team.  looked like Coughlin from the jints on that one...lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We turn to these "analysts" to listen to unbiased analyzing, but rarely is that the case.  Some guys can and do do it, but for the most part as has been mentioned, these are ex players and coaches who have history and often in cases, bitterness and resentfulness towards certain individuals or teams because of it.  The Patriots have two things going against them. 

1.  They are old hat.  It's hard to excited and talk about something that has become as common as the sun rising.  Even by us fans, they are kind of held to a different standard than everyone else. 

2.  Success breeds contempt.  5 Superbowls in 11 years is insane, and a whole lot of people have just come to hate the Patriots because they've rolled over and mowed down so many other teams along the way many many times over now. 

[/QUOTE]

Great Post!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the complaints regarding the missed calls are valed, as are the critique of the analysts. However, this is a weekly "complaint" at ESPN, that the analysts dont give a certain team a fair shake. Gruden especially, calls them as they happen. He doesnt care who gets the call, or who wins the game.

To think that ESPN has a Patriot bias is ridculous. Kraft, BB and the entire team are held in the highest regards. To think other wise is simply homerism

[/QUOTE]

ESPN is made up of people, if they represent the cross section of the American sports landscape, fans and ex-players many have huge jelousy issues about the successful organization (that hey were not a part of). Not likley many of them have had a team as successful as the Pats. Actually the Patriots have probably ruined their teams Sundays multiple time and perhaps even their one chance at a SB. Look at any comment board outside of this one onece in a while bring up the Patriots and multiple people will bring up the Patriots weak SOS, Pats paying off the refs, still talking about Spygate, Brady being a system QB and not really deserving, etc. etc..

So I agree for the most part ESPN as an organization is not biased but their analysts being taken mostly off the scrap heap of ex-players definitely are.

[/QUOTE]

really? you say "the Pats have ruined their teams Sundays"...who is Grudens team? The Broncos because he started at UT and Peyton is the face for UT? The 49'ers because that is where Holmgren gave him a start? The PAckers, as he was WR coach? The Eagles, Raiders or Bucs as Gruden was head coach at each?

Try to understand, the thought of the Patriots entering Grudens mind has been non existant since they played 12 years ago as the coach of the Raiders and when Gruden has them on Monday night. The guy is one of the most sought out speakers, has a schedule that is extremely busy...and he is friends with BB...

He has zero grudge with the Pats. Think Young cares anything about the Pats other than to enjoy watching them when they are clicking on offense, and he can marvel at Brady?

I think you are way off base to assume any of these guys "hate" the Pats or have any bnias against the Pats

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do not think the media was too enthralled with the way the Pats won and are very begrudging to admit the Pats were REALLY that much better.  They say the Texans didn't seem to play well?  Well, doesn't the play of the Pats, being dominant, have something to do with that?  Why is it that media has to include some excuses as to why a team was effectively dominated by a superior opponent so as to infer the losing team had a "bad" game and is the main reason the better team dominated?  Most times a better, superior team does make the other team look inferior no matter how good they played!!! 

[/QUOTE]

What I think is really going on is they feel uncomfortable not really understanding what is going on and how the Patriots are dominant.

Actaully, Steve Young has a good idea as he was commenting how he appreciates watching the subtlties in Bradys game. He seemed reasonable to me in his commnets.

Trent Dilfer on the other hand was not a great QB, it is understandable that he is clueless on the level of preparation and detail  needed to go to get where tha Pats are. By not knowing he clues into things like size, speed, stats, agressiveness. The things he knows about in football do not explain the Patriots sucess, so like many he assumes something fishy is going on or perhaps the other team is having an off day to explain things. He has just never broken the game down like BB or TB or played with someone as team minded as Vince Wilfork so will eternally be baffled by the Pats. Unfortunaltely many in the business are the same way..the ones who DO understand are easy to spot by there sucess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]

I do not think the media was too enthralled with the way the Pats won and are very begrudging to admit the Pats were REALLY that much better.  They say the Texans didn't seem to play well?  Well, doesn't the play of the Pats, being dominant, have something to do with that?  Why is it that media has to include some excuses as to why a team was effectively dominated by a superior opponent so as to infer the losing team had a "bad" game and is the main reason the better team dominated?  Most times a better, superior team does make the other team look inferior no matter how good they played!!! 

[/QUOTE]

I guess from a ratings point of view the game probably wasn't as good for them as they hoped since most casual viewers probably skipped at least the 4th quarter. And Dilbert doesn't like the Pats anyway. Consider too that these guys have all been ranting about the Texans for weeks. They don't like to be proven wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

the complaints regarding the missed calls are valed, as are the critique of the analysts. However, this is a weekly "complaint" at ESPN, that the analysts dont give a certain team a fair shake. Gruden especially, calls them as they happen. He doesnt care who gets the call, or who wins the game.

To think that ESPN has a Patriot bias is ridculous. Kraft, BB and the entire team are held in the highest regards. To think other wise is simply homerism

[/QUOTE]

ESPN is made up of people, if they represent the cross section of the American sports landscape, fans and ex-players many have huge jelousy issues about the successful organization (that hey were not a part of). Not likley many of them have had a team as successful as the Pats. Actually the Patriots have probably ruined their teams Sundays multiple time and perhaps even their one chance at a SB. Look at any comment board outside of this one onece in a while bring up the Patriots and multiple people will bring up the Patriots weak SOS, Pats paying off the refs, still talking about Spygate, Brady being a system QB and not really deserving, etc. etc..

So I agree for the most part ESPN as an organization is not biased but their analysts being taken mostly off the scrap heap of ex-players definitely are.

[/QUOTE]

really? you say "the Pats have ruined their teams Sundays"...who is Grudens team? The Broncos because he started at UT and Peyton is the face for UT? The 49'ers because that is where Holmgren gave him a start? The PAckers, as he was WR coach? The Eagles, Raiders or Bucs as Gruden was head coach at each?

Try to understand, the thought of the Patriots entering Grudens mind has been non existant since they played 12 years ago as the coach of the Raiders and when Gruden has them on Monday night. The guy is one of the most sought out speakers, has a schedule that is extremely busy...and he is friends with BB...

He has zero grudge with the Pats. Think Young cares anything about the Pats other than to enjoy watching them when they are clicking on offense, and he can marvel at Brady?

I think you are way off base to assume any of these guys "hate" the Pats or have any bnias against the Pats

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Gruden, I never said Gruden, was talking about the replays today anyway. He has his own take on PI rules, but he is not biased.

No I think mostly they are uncomfotable to the degree they don't get what the Pats are doing so they do not know how to assign sucess. It compounds this as their favorite team or team thay played on loses to the PAts they don't feel really beat in a 'fair' way. So they put down what they do not understand.

Gruden is a smart guy and does mostly get what BB and TB are doing..he is fine. Dilfer is a diferent story..do you want to defend him??

I actually highlight Steve Young as someone who is an exception too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Gruden, I never said Gruden, was talking about the replays today anyway. He has his own take on PI rules, but he is not bias.

No I think mostly they are uncomfotable to the degree they don't get what the Pats are doing so they do not know how to assign sucess. It compounds this as their favorite team or team thay played on loses to the PAts they don't feel really beat in a 'fair' way. So they put down what they do not understand.

Gruden is a smart guy and does mostly get what BB and TB are doing..he is fine. Dilfer is a diferent story..do you want to defend him??

[/QUOTE]

Dilfer? You mean Dilbert? He's almost as good an on air personality as he was a QB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Frankly I think some of the ESPN commentators were prepped to talk about the beating they expected the Texans were going to put on the Pats and they were nearly stunned into a stupor from the actual results.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Gruden, I never said Gruden, was talking about the replays today anyway. He has his own take on PI rules, but he is not biased.

[/QUOTE]

I have only been in Dilfers company 1 time. That 1 time, I thought he was a douche.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess from a ratings point of view the game probably wasn't as good for them as they hoped since most casual viewers probably skipped at least the 4th quarter. And Dilbert doesn't like the Pats anyway. Consider too that these guys have all been ranting about the Texans for weeks. They don't like to be proven wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Another point is just sympathy for the team that has obviously just been crushed...  Multiple reports on the radio have described it like that.  After a while you feel bad for the players who were beaten badly.

At least Texans took it with class at the end and ran out the clock without incedent. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another point is just sympathy for the team that has obviously just been crushed...  Multiple reports on the radio have described it like that.  After a while you feel bad for the players who were beaten badly.

At least Texans took it with class at the end and ran out the clock without incedent. 

[/QUOTE]

Capitulating with 12 minutes left..don't know if I have ever seen that in the NFL.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i personally dont care what ESPN says about the game, i watch CSNNE after all the games to watch the interviews and hear from Ty Law and Troy Brown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]

Todays highlights show the pass interference on Welker as a big play that extended a drive. Some or all of the ESPN commentators call it a terrible call because he could not have made the catch.

OK, look at a replay, when Welker is running full speed before he slows down because he was interfered with keep your finger moving across the screen at his pace, his path intersects the ball..he could have made the catch.

Secondly, why did they not showcase the bogus offensive holding call on Hernandez in the same way??..which was infact a drive killer? They showed a drive extending penalty on the Texan as if it was giving the Texans 7 points..why not show the play that took away 7 points in the same light??

Thirdly, Could Trent Dilfer make up more excuses for the Texans? "Matt Shaub played his worse game..he never does these things", mentioned the penalties..ball always bouncing NE way. The last being mostly true but listening to Trent you would think NE would have lost if these unusual lucky breaks did not happen.

[/QUOTE]

"Embrace the Hate"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

"Embrace the Hate"  And feed off of it!! I live in Raider country and those fans still hate the Patriots.