Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head

Money and the betting line TP. The NBA ref was caught so I'm sure there are crooked refs in every sport. Remember the Steeler game when it looked like was going end 11 to 9 and the refs made a call to help Pittsburgh get more points to cover the spread.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

I concur the three most recent ridiculous calls were pretty much the entire nba finals this year horrible calls on both sides and more so in favir of the lakers.

The safe at first base call to rob gallaraga of a perfect game\

and The usa soccer goal that was called back

its just getting out of hand.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The most obtuse officiating had to be the Olympics USSR vs USA in basketball.  The officials kept adding time to the clock and gave the Russians about three or four chances to win the thing.  I watched that game as a kid and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I thought it blatant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I didn't realize that the Lakers got an EIGHTY THREE free throw advantage... or that they shot 21 in the 4th quarter...

Oh well.

We had our days.  You could just as easily argue that no-calls in the defensive secondary earned us our Super Bowl wins (although for 30+ years of the NFL that has been the norm)

And Colts duplicity on pass interference (they can do it but nobody can do it to them) is just a fact of life for every team playing them not named the Saints.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head:
    I do.   It's the worst in title or big games or playoffs series.  I would argue this recent NBA Finals with the refs totally shaping the games in favor of LA was one of the worst displays in sports history. An 83 F advantage through a 7 game series?  That's an awfully large disparity and allowing them to get to the line 21 times in the 4th quarter the other night, AFTER LA was trailing the whole game? LA's only chance in that series was to get to the line. They did and they barely win by 4 points at home.  The NBA is the worst and it's why I went on hiatus over 10 years ago with the fraud that it is.

RESPONSE: I too thought that the C's got the short end of the stick from the refs. Ron Artest and Derrick Fisher, in particular, got away with murder. The Lakers are to the NBA what the Indianapolis Colts are to the NFL. But, in the end, the inability to make 3-point shots the way they did in 2008, did the Celtics in. Had they made a few more of those, it would have opened things up offensively.  

The NHL doesn't have much to complain about in terms of big games being affected.  They over-officiate sometimes, but it's not bad.

RESPONSE: The NHL did themselves in through short-sighted over-expansion. Too many teams, too little talent, and too many goons.

As much as MLB has some horrendous umpiring almost weekly, I can't recall too many playoff or WS games being egregiously affected in recent years.  The 1999 phantom tag on Offerman by Tim Tschida stands out against the Yankees.

RESPONSE: I recall the Don Denkinger call at first base in Game 6 of the 1985 WS...which cost the St' Louis Cardinals that game against the KC Royals...who went on to win the Series in 7:
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=203448&catid=3

Obviously, in the NFL, the 2006 AFC Title game smells to this day.  Phantom PI call on Troy Brown, Caldwell raped in the end zone by Marlin Jackson and of course the phantom "face guarding" call sealed the deal the fix was in.

RESPONSE: Agreed. The league and the media wanted so badly to get Peyton a title...and have "The Pius One", Tony Dungy, make history by being the first black coach to win a SB.

Posted by russgriswold

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Cheating referees are in all sports. I like to say my earliest experience with cheating officials came when I was playing little league baseball as thats the earliest memory I have that people just can't stand to see the better team win,in my case I had just stole home, but the HP umpire ruled I was out some 30 seconds after I had touched home plate. Turns out his son was the opposing teams pitcher !! In my case god was swift in his retribution for me,as his son reached first via a walk and I was catching the kid knew he could steal a base because the umps were in the other teams pockets,he broke for second and unfortunately for him I had a cannon for an arm as he slid in head first arms extended my throw arrived right on time, and the force of my throw and the tag by the SS resulted in a broken arm for the Home plate umpires kid....SHWYHF!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yeah well maybe if the US didn't go around starting wars the rest of the world wouldn't hate us so much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Yep - In the top 5 of all time, at least 3 include Boston teams getting jobbed.  Geez.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Frankly, the World Cup is a joke and I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks. Any sport that allows its officials to blow arbitrary whistles and award possessions with abosultely no explanation of why is not worth my time. I understand that human beings are both fallible and corruptible, but allowing a guy to call whatever he wants without even having to explain or defend his decision is beyond preposterous.

That said, we are not likely to ever again see politics determining the outcome of a sporting even to the degree it did in the 1972 Olympic Basketball gold medal game. That game officials twice tried to hand the game to the Soviets -- and failed -- and that FIBA Secretary General R. William Jones had to come out of the stands and reset the clock a THIRD time in order to reach the desired conclusion is not a bit of chicanery that is likely to be outdone in my lifetime . . .   or yours.

I think it's worth noting that the members of that American team have refused to accpet their silver medals to this day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat99. Show TexasPat99's posts

Don't forget about the worst officiating call in NFL history....the Brady tuck rule call against the Raiders.  There isn't a worse call that has ever been made then that one!!!  Funny how you idiot Patriots fans talk about bad officiating and ALWAYS leave that one out!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Too bad the call was ruled correctly. Stinks when facts get in the way, huh troll?
    Posted by russgriswold

And we are all surprised, etlated, and now expect much more from you given your knowledge of this. 

Time to step up Russ.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Don't forget about the worst officiating call in NFL history....the Brady tuck rule call against the Raiders.  There isn't a worse call that has ever been made then that one!!!  Funny how you idiot Patriots fans talk about bad officiating and ALWAYS leave that one out!
    Posted by TexasPat99

Revenege is always best served cold! Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : This little geeky troll probably has no clue what you mean by that. lol
    Posted by russgriswold

I highly doubt it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

TexasPat = worst poster on this board

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Posted by TexasPat99

The Brady tuck rule was called correctly. Even ESPN will tell you that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriothead22. Show Patriothead22's posts

Here's the link to the description to the "Tuck Rule", and based on this description, it was ruled correctly.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule

Now, if you Colts fans want bad calls, I have a bunch for you right here:

Phantom Offensive Pass Interference against Giants: 

Calvin Haden Mauls Reche Caldwell; No Call:

Phantom Roughing the Passer Call (In Favor of Peyton Manning) Against the Cowboys:

I would post a video of the phantom roughing the passer call in favor of Peyton Manning in the 2007 Championship Game, however, I couldn't find it (with good reason though; the replay was never even shown).

I got all of that by typing in "Phantom Pass Interference" and "Phantom Roughing the Passer" on YouTube.  Pretty sad eh?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Head - How come you didn't mention the one footed, outside foot gift Touchdown by Jabbar Gaffney?

How come nothing on the non-holding call on the Welker 70 yd return last year against the colts?

How about the non-PI calls vs. the colts in 04 (or was it 03)?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Russ - agreed.  PI is PI and the Pats got away with it all game.  its a well known fact. 

As for the Gaffney TD - everyone knows it.  Back of the endzone - 06 AFCCG.  One foot down.  Pushed out.  Called a TD.  Everyone knows it was a make up call for the faceguarding PI.  the difference is that the Pats got a TD outright, the colts still had to score theirs. 

There was no way Gaffney's OUTSIDE foot was going to come down in bounds.  It would have had to cross over his inside foot that looks like it is actually on the OB line. 

As for Welker - just go back and look.  His lead blocker has all of the colts Jersey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

im sorry...but ive lived here since 1989 and new england teams have had waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more of their fair share of the calls go their way...and not just the slap happy, reaching all-the-time celtics

and pats fans complaining about the refs? you guys have had the refs in your back pocket for years...just stop...its embarrassing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Umm, not it's not. I remember Dungy whining for a call on Wayne when Eugene Wilson simply hit him hard on near the sideline. I was embarrassed for Colts fans. Dude, the entire country saw how wimpy the Colts were then and are now.  Then, we learned Polian used tape from that game to make a case his team needs the rules bent in order his offense to succeed. Hits would dislodge balls, Bruschi stripped balls from people, Dungy would think every clean and hard hit was some kind of penalty, etc. Phifer held Pollard on one play late and that was it.  You have every right to make contact within 5 yards off the line and Ty Law was great at that.   Totally bitchslapped off the field. Harrison struggled in the playoffs his entire career because he was soft.  Get over it. He and Eggie disappear in the playoffs. That's what is a fact. And we have no idea what your point is on the Gaffney TD or this mystery hold you are babbling about with Welker either.  The NFL apologized to NE and Hobbs for the faceguarding phantom call.  FAIL
    Posted by russgriswold

LOL - good opinion, short on facts.  As for Manning disappearing in the Playoffs, in the last 5 years, he's been to 2 SB's and won 1.  I understand your blinders don't allow reality to be seen, but the rest of us see it clearly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Cheating referees are in all sports. I like to say my earliest experience with cheating officials came when I was playing little league baseball as thats the earliest memory I have that people just can't stand to see the better team win,in my case I had just stole home, but the HP umpire ruled I was out some 30 seconds after I had touched home plate. Turns out his son was the opposing teams pitcher !! In my case god was swift in his retribution for me,as his son reached first via a walk and I was catching the kid knew he could steal a base because the umps were in the other teams pockets,he broke for second and unfortunately for him I had a cannon for an arm as he slid in head first arms extended my throw arrived right on time, and the force of my throw and the tag by the SS resulted in a broken arm for the Home plate umpires kid....SHWYHF!!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Hmmmmm.....
    Bozo, I'm exposing you for a fraud. I'm a certifed Little League umpire, with 20+ years service, and have worked the West Region in San Bernadino, CA. Sorry, but head first sliding is and has been forbidden in LL since I started out loo those many years ago.

Which leads me to question that "cannon for an arm" claim...... Then there's the "gpd was swift in retribution" claim. Sorry, pal, but anyone advocating for any benefit obtained via any injury to any kid playing any game is, well, a LOSER! So, I'm going to make another assumption on your "out at the plate" whine. I'll bet you were too slow to safely make it, and the HP umpire had to make sure the catcher held on to the ball, through all the dust billowing up on the play.

Umpires, and sport referees call what they see. It's why they're there in teh first place. Try playing any game without one. Joyce explained why he made the call during the immediate confrontation with Leyland and after when he had an opportunity to review it. We've heard other Refs speakong out after blowing a call, many in contradiction with "league" rules. The thing that saddens me about teh spccer ref's 'call" is that he doesn't have to explain what he saw opr why he disallowed the goal to anyone. As Americans we find that unacceptable to OUR standards, and are demanding reversal, as if there's a huge "DO OVER" button that a game ref can push. it's a FIFA rule, and if we expect the USA to pl;ay under FIFA rules, then they have to deal with this stuff. ANytime any USA teams plays under international rules (ie: the '72 team scruing in Munich) things should be expected.

Do I like calls going against my teams? Of course not, and, like LL parents, will blame someone else for the team's failure (Hello, umpires!) Would we be talking about Joyce's famous call if that play happened, say, in the 2nd inning? We probably would, but without all the rancor and demands for replay usage. We'll set the replay usage rule this way: Replay can be used at any time in a game that the manager, player, or fans demand it to be used, with no restrictions on the number of times it can be used during any game. Would that make us all happier? No, because we only wan to reflect on that late game call that "costs" us victory. Like Hollywood, we want a storybook ending every time out.

Bozo, stick to Hollywood screen writing. You seem to be a good fit.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Peyton has a higher playoff passer rating than Brady does.  But, that's probably not a fact you care to acknowledge.  BTW - when did Super Bowl wins or playoff record become an individual statistic?  Kind of artibrary, isn't it?  Did you have the same punter for all three of your SB victories?  By your logic, he must be one of the greatest punters of all time, because he has three SB victories!

Now for my main point: the Pats get plenty of calls from the officials.  You just refuse to recognize calls in your favor, whereas every close call against the Pats you deem a horrible call.  I salute you: this is the biggest "homer" fan base in the NFL.  Your Patriot-colored glasses should continue to keep you happy and arrogant even though your team has greatly deteriorated!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

It's always funny to me when fans in a sports discussion board call each other out on bias. Really?

Peyton. Owned by New England. Polian. Competition Committee. Peyton Interference (PI) Flags Galore. End of Story.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

And when Miami gets a QB, who knows the NFL may consider giving you some calls. Until then, enjoy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Yeah well maybe if the US didn't go around starting wars the rest of the world wouldn't hate us so much.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Why do we even have nukes if we don't use them? Just a small one set off in some God forsaken land would get the point across. Teddy Roosevelt said to walk softly, but carry a big stick, but if you bash one head in with that big stick the others will fall in to line.

Sections
Shortcuts