Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head

The worst call Ive ever seen was pass interference against Ellis Hobbs in Pats Colts 2006 afc championship game. Peyton threw up a 40 yard prayer on 3rd and 18. Hobbs was called for "Face Guarding" a rule that had been taken out of the league 6 years earlier. He was 3 feet away from Reggie with 100% no contact. Ball on 1 yard line Colts complete greatest come back in afc championship history and Peyton gets a ring. Hmmmmmm

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head:
    I do.   It's the worst in title or big games or playoffs series.  I would argue this recent NBA Finals with the refs totally shaping the games in favor of LA was one of the worst displays in sports history. An 83 F advantage through a 7 game series?  That's an awfully large disparity and allowing them to get to the line 21 times in the 4th quarter the other night, AFTER LA was trailing the whole game? LA's only chance in that series was to get to the line. They did and they barely win by 4 points at home.  The NBA is the worst and it's why I went on hiatus over 10 years ago with the fraud that it is. The NHL doesn't have much to complain about in terms of big games being affected.  They over-officiate sometimes, but it's not bad. As much as MLB has some horrendous umpiring almost weekly, I can't recall too many playoff or WS games being egregiously affected in recent years.  The 1999 phantom tag on Offerman by Tim Tschida stands out against the Yankees. Obviously, in the NFL, the 2006 AFC Title game smells to this day.  Phantom PI call on Troy Brown, Caldwell raped in the end zone by Marlin Jackson and of course the phantom "face guarding" call sealed the deal the fix was in.
    Posted by russgriswold
    Great Post add the Steelers Super Bowl over the SeaHawks. I bet on the Steelers and still thought the game was Dirty

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : Hmmmmm..... Bozo, I'm exposing you for a fraud. I'm a certifed Little League umpire, with 20+ years service, and have worked the West Region in San Bernadino, CA. Sorry, but head first sliding is and has been forbidden in LL since I started out loo those many years ago. Which leads me to question that "cannon for an arm" claim...... Then there's the "gpd was swift in retribution" claim. Sorry, pal, but anyone advocating for any benefit obtained via any injury to any kid playing any game is, well, a LOSER! So, I'm going to make another assumption on your "out at the plate" whine. I'll bet you were too slow to safely make it, and the HP umpire had to make sure the catcher held on to the ball, through all the dust billowing up on the play. Umpires, and sport referees call what they see. It's why they're there in teh first place. Try playing any game without one. Joyce explained why he made the call during the immediate confrontation with Leyland and after when he had an opportunity to review it. We've heard other Refs speakong out after blowing a call, many in contradiction with "league" rules. The thing that saddens me about teh spccer ref's 'call" is that he doesn't have to explain what he saw opr why he disallowed the goal to anyone. As Americans we find that unacceptable to OUR standards, and are demanding reversal, as if there's a huge "DO OVER" button that a game ref can push. it's a FIFA rule, and if we expect the USA to pl;ay under FIFA rules, then they have to deal with this stuff. ANytime any USA teams plays under international rules (ie: the '72 team scruing in Munich) things should be expected. Do I like calls going against my teams? Of course not, and, like LL parents, will blame someone else for the team's failure (Hello, umpires!) Would we be talking about Joyce's famous call if that play happened, say, in the 2nd inning? We probably would, but without all the rancor and demands for replay usage. We'll set the replay usage rule this way: Replay can be used at any time in a game that the manager, player, or fans demand it to be used, with no restrictions on the number of times it can be used during any game. Would that make us all happier? No, because we only wan to reflect on that late game call that "costs" us victory. Like Hollywood, we want a storybook ending every time out. Bozo, stick to Hollywood screen writing. You seem to be a good fit.
    Posted by AZPAT

AZ...how you been! Long time no hear.

While you may have a point with Bozo, and I'm sure that you're an above board umpire, you have to admit that World Cup Soccer, to some extent the NFL, and, in particular, the NBA, are approaching pro-wrestling status due to biased officiating. In the NFL, we have the Grand Wizard, a/k/a Bill Polian, pulling the strings of the Rules Committee, and intimidating officials. In the NBA, we have James J. Dillon, a/k/a David Stern, putting the fix in for the LA Lakers. In World Cup Soccer, you have Dangerous Danny Davis, a/k/a referee Koman Coulibaly, disallowing a US goal, and not being able to explain why he did it! 

Captain Lou Albano, may he rest in peace, would be proud.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head :      AZ...how you been! Long time no hear.      While you may have a point with Bozo, and I'm sure that you're an above board umpire, you have to admit that World Cup Soccer, to some extent the NFL, and, in particular, the NBA, are approaching pro-wrestling status due to biased officiating. In the NFL, we have the Grand Wizard, a/k/a Bill Polian, pulling the strings of the Rules Committee, and intimidating officials. In the NBA, we have James J. Dillon, a/k/a David Stern, putting the fix in for the LA Lakers. In World Cup Soccer, you have Dangerous Danny Davis, a/k/a referee Koman Coulibaly, disallowing a US goal, and not being able to explain why he did it!       Captain Lou Albano, may he rest in peace, would be proud.
    Posted by TexasPat3

What bothers me the most about this whole thing is that he is not even required to provide any kind of explanation. Blow the whistle. Place the ball. Play on.

No.

I'm sorry.

Not buying it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

The worst call I ever saw was the Miami-Ohio st. game when the refs called Miami who were ahead for pass interference in the end zone on what would have been the last play of the game.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

amen to that...cost them back to back championships and the program hasnt been the same since that game...complete garbage officiating

id also like to point out a college game last year where the team was penalized for excessive celebration and it was just awful, cost them the game at the end and i believe the gaytors were the beneficiaries

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head:
        ...What is the worst officiating call that you've ever seen? Do you feel that biased officiating is a major problem in sports?           
    Posted by TexasPat3

Another candidate has to be the Roy Jones, Jr. "loss" to the Korean boxer in the Seoul Olympics back in the day.  Hagler-Leonard is another, though not as egregious. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : ... id also like to point out a college game last year where the team was penalized for excessive celebration and it was just awful, cost them the game at the end and i believe the gaytors were the beneficiaries
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

Was that the Arkansas/Fla. game?  Really brutal calls in that one, especially an unnecessary roughness call on an Ark. lineman during an interception I believe. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : How about Sweet Pea Whitake putting on a clinic against Julie Ceasar Chavez circa 1993 and losing? Remember that one? He destroyed Chavez for 12 rounds and somehow Chavez won decisively. I'll never forget the look on Whitaker's face. Stunned disbelief. As bad or worse than Hagler in '87.
    Posted by russgriswold

Didn't the ref stop the fight in the very last seconds of the final round, but Whitaker could have held on & would have won on points? That was when boxing was trying to get Chavez to 100 wins.

The worst I've ever seen, & it is probably in the top 3 ever, was another Chavez fight. A substitute fighter was called in to take the place of Chavez's main oppenent at the last minute. It was a school teacher, IIRC from New Jersey, & he kicked Chavez's butt so badly that when Chavez won the descision the announcers were talking about a fix right away. They offered the school teacher a rematch for $50,000 & he told them to go f*ck themselves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : Was that the Arkansas/Fla. game?  Really brutal calls in that one, especially an unnecessary roughness call on an Ark. lineman during an interception I believe. 
    Posted by Muzwell

i believe it was....all in the name of getting timmy back to the big game...sad and pathetic...shame on you SEC

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

The worst call Ive ever seen was pass interference against Ellis Hobbs in Pats Colts 2006 afc championship game. Peyton threw up a 40 yard prayer on 3rd and 18. Hobbs was called for "Face Guarding" a rule that had been taken out of the league 6 years earlier. He was 3 feet away from Reggie with 100% no contact. Ball on 1 yard line Colts complete greatest come back in afc championship history and Peyton gets a ring. Hmmmmmm
    Posted by TrueChamp

Yep, that was a bad one, but they made up for it by gifting that td to Gaffney later in the game when he only had one foot inbounds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

The Caldwell non-call was just absolutley brutal to see at the time and even now. How that was not a slam dunk PI call, I have no idea. Look at how many points Indy was handed in that game.  It's amazing. This was a 4 point swing here settling for a FG.  The faceguaring one is also 4 points.  And it is debatable with the Troy Brown one being a 4 pt swing in favor because we don't know if NE would have scored a TD there or not. So, anywhere between 8-12 points total in favor of Indy. The faceguarding call is flat out made up, so we know that is wrong, and I'd like Underoos or Jules Winfield to tell us how this is not PI? He never turns for the ball and when he turns his body just a little, he's already made contact and impeded Caldwell. This is how Indy has to win a game at home. In fact, only the 2008 game with Cassel was called cleanly since this game. 
    Posted by russgriswold

are you really still crying like polian was the reason you lost? good god...have the pats ever lost a game in your opinion?

you are all excuses and BS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : Yep, that was a bad one, but they made up for it by gifting that td to Gaffney later in the game when he only had one foot inbounds.
    Posted by underdoggggg

Ud, if I'm not mistaken on that play(which was an amazing catch btw) he had one foot in and 1 foot coming down but was pushed out of bounds. The push out rule was still in effect that game so the refs according to the rule book made the right call did they not? Where as earlier they "forgot" that face guarding is no longer a rule and handed the Colts a td on a desperation end zone lob. They "apologized" for getting the play wrong and swinging the game in favor of Indy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : Another candidate has to be the Roy Jones, Jr. "loss" to the Korean boxer in the Seoul Olympics back in the day.  Hagler-Leonard is another, though not as egregious. 
    Posted by Muzwell

People will argue this one back and forth, but whatever you think of the decision, this was the fight that closed the era when you had to "take" a champion's belt. Leanord didn't win this fight, he survived it, and you should not unseat a champion by merely surviving.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : I thought you put me on ignore, child?  Apparently you have proven yourself a phony, caught lying. Again.
    Posted by russgriswold

what can i say? your posting is like watching a fight outside the bar...its just too irresistable to step in and kick your a.s.s all over the place

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : Yep, that was a bad one, but they made up for it by gifting that td to Gaffney later in the game when he only had one foot inbounds.
    Posted by underdoggggg

LOL!! Still with the same, tired ol' BS, I see. Why can't you admit what everybody else knows...that the refs handed your phony ponies the AFC title game in 2006, and, by so doing, handed them a world championship.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : How about Sweet Pea Whitake putting on a clinic against Julie Ceasar Chavez circa 1993 and losing? Remember that one? He destroyed Chavez for 12 rounds and somehow Chavez won decisively. I'll never forget the look on Whitaker's face. Stunned disbelief. As bad or worse than Hagler in '87.
    Posted by russgriswold

Wasn't that the fight that was stopped with one second left?  That was absurd.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : What can you say???   How about nothing?  Everyone here would love it you simply disappeared. You're like the tool on the playground who wants to play ball, but isn't good enough. Good day.
    Posted by russgriswold

awww...but crusty, you are the only one requesting i leave...so who is the one all alone on the play ground?

again i ask, in your opinion...have the pats ever lost a game that wasnt someone else's fault?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Posted by TrueChamp

yeah i forgot about that one. colts always seem to have the refs on their side when playing the Patriots

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Umm, not it's not. I remember Dungy whining for a call on Wayne when Eugene Wilson simply hit him hard on near the sideline. I was embarrassed for Colts fans. Dude, the entire country saw how wimpy the Colts were then and are now.  Then, we learned Polian used tape from that game to make a case his team needs the rules bent in order his offense to succeed. Hits would dislodge balls, Bruschi stripped balls from people, Dungy would think every clean and hard hit was some kind of penalty, etc. Phifer held Pollard on one play late and that was it.  You have every right to make contact within 5 yards off the line and Ty Law was great at that.   Totally bitchslapped off the field. Harrison struggled in the playoffs his entire career because he was soft.  Get over it. He and Eggie disappear in the playoffs. That's what is a fact. And we have no idea what your point is on the Gaffney TD or this mystery hold you are babbling about with Welker either.  The NFL apologized to NE and Hobbs for the faceguarding phantom call.  FAIL
    Posted by russgriswold

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Can you find me a copy of that apology? I need to see it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : yeah i forgot about that one. colts always seem to have the refs on their side when playing the Patriots
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Yes...that call was so bad that the NFL sent the Patriots a "letter of apology", after the game. But, how do you apologize after your referees have cost the Patriots a world championship? But, if the NFL was really serious about their apology, they would have finally recognized the extreme conflict of interest at having Bill Polian run their Rules Committee...and ousted him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head :      LOL!! Still with the same, tired ol' BS, I see. Why can't you admit what everybody else knows...that the refs handed your phony ponies the AFC title game in 2006, and, by so doing, handed them a world championship.
    Posted by TexasPat3

I've been ignoring dogpoop for a year or so, but unfortunately I still occasionally see his dogpoop posts when someone else replies to him. It just never ends, does it?
    I believe the 2006 AFC championship was the game handed to the dolts by the refs, based on the bogus PI call against ellis hobbs. Everyone in the world, besides dogpoop, saw it for what it was, another payton-ference gift to the colts, essentially handing them a victory in a game where they had in fact been whipped by the Pats.

The NFL sent hobbs a letter apologizing for the bad call the following spring but the fix was in, allowing jughead to win his one and only SB.

But doogpoop, alone in the known universe, sees it differently; the game instead hinged on a bad call against the dolts on a Givens TD.

To quote John Wayne, "That'll be the day".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Sad day for humans.  No winners here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A (slightly) more defensible but still bad call was the call of a TD when Watson ran down Champ Bailey and forced him to fumble it out of the end zone.  Certainly could have turned that game around had it been called correctly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Biased Officiating Again Rears Its' Ugly Head : yeah i forgot about that one. colts always seem to have the refs on their side when playing the Patriots
    Posted by kansaspatriot

You guys are hilarious.  Unwilling to admit the make up call which was the Gaffney TD in that 06 AFCCG to even things out AND never always omitting the 03 AFCCG where the pats acted like prison lifers to newbie colts receivers. 

Give it up boys.  You've had your share ref favoritism.