Big Sey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Big Sey

I see over on the big, bad .com site Richard Seymour most likely has played his last snap for the Raiders. Would he be willing to accept a team friendly deal to make a last SB run next year? Pats need some DL depth and size, Seymour knows the system, is versatile and doesn't need the money. He got along with Kraft, did he and BB part on good terms? 

If Fat Albert and SEllis were worth a try, isn't Seymour worth talking with?

I was always a big fan, and subscribe to the BB philosophy of business is business (are you listening Wes).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Re: Big Sey

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see over on the big, bad .com site Richard Seymour most likely has played his last snap for the Raiders. Would he be willing to accept a team friendly deal to make a last SB run next year? Pats need some DL depth and size, Seymour knows the system, is versatile and doesn't need the money. He got along with Kraft, did he and BB part on good terms? 

I was always a big fan, and subscribe to the BB philosophy of business is business (are you listening Wes).

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the D-line needs Seymour, and at his age.  We have a good, young line.  Now if he were a ferocious pass rusher........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I wouldn't mind him back but I think he felt but hurt when he left and I'm not sure he'll ever want to return.  But then again Branch seemed unlikely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think he'd come back here - he was pretty bent about being shipped out days before the season started. Seymore always thought he should of been looked and payed like he was Reggie White, but he didn't play well enough to warrant that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

would love to have him back but i doubt it.  Our D line hasn't been the same since he left. One fill in guy after another in hopes to create the pressure he was able to provide.  I would be amazed if he wanted to come back.  with big sey showing chandler and nink how it is done! draft margus hunt, bring in Seymore and resign nink for longer! our DE position would be in great shape!  especially if we got the big man hunt and/or seymore to learn the DT position which would enable us to disguise who was playing pass rushing DE. and have Nink being able to play OLB/DE we could really confuse opposng QB's

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I do think that the Pats need DL help. Especially versatile, smart players that can step right in. At the right price, Sey can spell Vince and Lovie, and both DE's if needed. Playing 15-20 snaps per game could keep him around for the full 16, or beyond. He is younger than Andre Carter when Carter signed on. 

I am a firm believer in BB we trust, but I don't spare criticism where warranted. I do think BB erred with Seymour. I do think both Seymour and Vince could have been retained, affordably, if the Pats acted on Vince a year earlier. 

In hind sight, Warren, Warren, Ellis, Albert, Myron and Brace never really panned out( yet Lovie and Deadrick are serviceable)....Slder and cap relief were a good return for Sey, but in actuality the defense hasn't been as good since he left. 

If the dollars make sense, I would welcome him back, knowing he isn't the old Seymour, but now a situational player that knows the system, can play in big games, and likes the area.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Much like Branch, this guy is a fading star who had fallen off his game before he was shipped to the Raiders. We need to go after someone who is on the upside to his career and not settle for a player way past his prime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think he'd come back here - he was pretty bent about being shipped out days before the season started. Seymore always thought he should of been looked and payed like he was Reggie White, but he didn't play well enough to warrant that.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.   The Pats wouldn't pay him anything but a team freindly deal now and I doubt Sey would take less than he thinks he's worth.  Besides after he's already been paid a 100 Mill or so in his career he probably doesn't need the money.  :)

In hindsight, this ended up being a good trade for the Pats. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.   The Pats wouldn't pay him anything but a team freindly deal now and I doubt Sey would take less than he thinks he's worth.  Besides after he's already been paid a 100 Mill or so in his career he probably doesn't need the money.  :)

In hindsight, this ended up being a good trade for the Pats. 

[/QUOTE]

Fantastic trade.  BB chose to pay Wilfork, which was clearly the right move and Al Davis got fleeced giving up a 1st rder (Solder) and had to pay Seymour 15 mil per into and out of lockout, where his contract has hindered their ability to build correctly, also with the loss of that 1st rder itself.

Another team in similar trouble who did the same thing is Chicago. They're ultra old on D and paid Peppers 16 mil per the last few years. Another bloated deal.

Seymour hasn't really been the same since his leg surgery after the 2005 season and his hold out.   It's the truth. He's still good, a veteran who can help, but the fact he got paid more in Oakland than he did here, when he was MUCH better here, is why the Raiders are the Raiders.

Renting guys with the name on the jersey as they USE you, is what the Raiders and Jets are great at.

If he's not hungry, though, forget it.  The games I saw from him in recent years, he disappeared against the good O Lines.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  And let's not forget the Bills who spent 80 Killgillian Dollars on Mario Williams and others to improve their Defense.  

I think that the Patriots have proved that big money players are not necessarily the answer.   Also look at Philadelphia and the "Dream Team".  If the Pats had signed some of those big names like Asomugha or Cromartie it would appear that our CB problems could be over but these guys went to Philly and shriveled up there.   And the Pats went to a Super Bowl with CB's that probably couldn't start for other teams.    If Talib can get healthy it could change to a favorable Secondary and who knows what could happen.  

The bigger picture is remarkable indeed.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I doubt it, but one can hope. 

Seymour, even at his age > Kyle Love. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I don't think BB will want him back. Think about it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

If I was technically competent, I'd post a picture of a burning bridge here, but since I'm not you'll have to close your eyes and imagine...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fantastic trade.  BB chose to pay Wilfork, which was clearly the right move and Al Davis got fleeced giving up a 1st rder (Solder) and had to pay Seymour 15 mil per into and out of lockout, where his contract has hindered their ability to build correctly, also with the loss of that 1st rder itself.

Another team in similar trouble who did the same thing is Chicago. They're ultra old on D and paid Peppers 16 mil per the last few years. Another bloated deal.

Seymour hasn't really been the same since his leg surgery after the 2005 season and his hold out.   It's the truth. He's still good, a veteran who can help, but the fact he got paid more in Oakland than he did here, when he was MUCH better here, is why the Raiders are the Raiders.

Renting guys with the name on the jersey as they USE you, is what the Raiders and Jets are great at.

If he's not hungry, though, forget it.  The games I saw from him in recent years, he disappeared against the good O Lines.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, it was a great move made by Belichick. Seymour was on of my favorite players but BB had to go with either him or Wilfolk at the time. Seymour has been hurt a lot in Oakland and while he's played well at times he's mostly been inconsistent. The trade allowed the Patriots to sign Vince and continue to rebuild an aging defense. Soldier in only his 2nd year is the best lineman on the Patriots and looks like he will make a lot of pro-bowls during his career. No GM is perfect, and he's missed a few but  Belichick is the best IMO. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

would love to have him back but i doubt it.  Our D line hasn't been the same since he left. One fill in guy after another in hopes to create the pressure he was able to provide.  I would be amazed if he wanted to come back.  with big sey showing chandler and nink how it is done! draft margus hunt, bring in Seymore and resign nink for longer! our DE position would be in great shape!  especially if we got the big man hunt and/or seymore to learn the DT position which would enable us to disguise who was playing pass rushing DE. and have Nink being able to play OLB/DE we could really confuse opposng QB's

[/QUOTE]

call bb and test the idea out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

didn't seymour say that he would sign with any team but the Patriots or something to that affect? think it was last year when he was asked about what he'd do if the Raiders didn't sign him and he said that there were 31 teams including the Raiders that he'd play for. 

he was a great player and a big part of  the defense during the superbowl years but I doubt he'd sign here. he probably doesn't have much left in the tank at this point.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Much like Branch, this guy is a fading star who had fallen off his game before he was shipped to the Raiders. We need to go after someone who is on the upside to his career and not settle for a player way past his prime.

[/QUOTE]

my preference. several pass rushers avail in free agency this year grab 1; and one of the top safeties, considier xavier rhodes in rd - 1 big tough corner. frederick(c/g) in 2 or 3.

or trade up in rd 1 for ansah (pass rushign de)

will also need a speedy lb and a tall outside wr with hands who can separate in fa or draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

@Rkarp; you say "I am a firm believer in BB we trust, but I don't spare criticism where warranted. I do think BB erred with Seymour. I do think both Seymour and Vince could have been retained, affordably, if the Pats acted on Vince a year earlier"

I respectfully disagree with you. We couldnt afford two $10 million a year players on the line. As you go on thinking BB erred in Seymour, read the rest of the article that says Big Sey was basically a disappointment for the Raiders as they paid him a ton of money, he performed mediocre at best, and never transfomred the D like they had hoped. As your reading that have visions of Nate Solder at LT for the next 10+ years!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

call bb and test the idea out

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@Rkarp; you say "I am a firm believer in BB we trust, but I don't spare criticism where warranted. I do think BB erred with Seymour. I do think both Seymour and Vince could have been retained, affordably, if the Pats acted on Vince a year earlier"

I respectfully disagree with you. We couldnt afford two $10 million a year players on the line. As you go on thinking BB erred in Seymour, read the rest of the article that says Big Sey was basically a disappointment for the Raiders as they paid him a ton of money, he performed mediocre at best, and never transfomred the D like they had hoped. As your reading that have visions of Nate Solder at LT for the next 10+ years!

[/QUOTE]

Quags,

no problem to disagree. But I feel you are incorrect. Both players could have been structured into the financial parameters if Vince was addressed 1-2 years earlier. 

Additionally, money was not the only factor, with Sey. The Pats incorrectly put their money on TWarren rather than Sey, and Brought in Brace, Pryor and TBC to replace Sey's production.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

didn't seymour say that he would sign with any team but the Patriots or something to that affect? think it was last year when he was asked about what he'd do if the Raiders didn't sign him and he said that there were 31 teams including the Raiders that he'd play for. 

he was a great player and a big part of  the defense during the superbowl years but I doubt he'd sign here. he probably doesn't have much left in the tank at this point.  

[/QUOTE]

The situation with Sey was as follows;

he wanted to be paid what he thought he was worth. He understood the Patriots felt otherwise, and knows in the business in order to get paid, trades and free agency are not personnel, but simply part of the business. Sey did not hold a grudge against the move, as long as he got his presumed fair money.

Mrs Sey was a different story. She loved the area, the team, and the Krafts. She felt her husband attained a Brady status, and deserved to be paid and retired a Patriot. She was furious with the move, and Sey supported his wife's furor.

any future recruitment of Sey would also need recruiting of Mrs Sey. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to sheldong's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the D-line needs Seymour, and at his age.  We have a good, young line.  Now if he were a ferocious pass rusher........

[/QUOTE]

I assume when you refer to our good young line, youdontinclude Brace because of production, Pryor because of injury, and Vince because of age?

So the line is Deadrick, Lovie, Nink, Cunningham and Jones. With Vince's snap Count, I think interior DL is most likely the Pats #1 need this off season, along with interior OL