Biggest Busts...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Biggest Busts...

All I have been hearing is how everyone thinks guys like Brace will emerge this year, how Spikes will be a starter opposite Mayo, Rich Orhnberger will make a push with Mankins out, Deaderick will be a guy to watch and even Crable will finally break out. History tells us not all of our recent draft picks will pan out.

My question is out of the last three drafts who is/will be the biggest draft busts from each one? Mine are as follows...

2008-Terrence Wheatley-Guy was a second rounder and has never been better than 4th on the depth chart all while having a relative weak CB corps. Looks to me like he might stuggle to find a roster spot this season.

Prediction:Gets cut during pre season.

2009-Brandon Tate-Guy was a third rounder coming off an injury. Without said injury scouts pegged him as a first rounder. All this added extra hype and pressure to be great. Reality is this guy was an average receiver in college who ran sloppy routes, but was great with the ball in his hands. Hence, his return ability. If he emerges as top kick returner and provides depth on punt returns this year I could see him staying with the club. However, WR is a crowded position on this team with 3 players clearly ahead of him (Moss, Welker, Edelman) 1 player most likely ahead (Holt) and Taylor Price, who is getting praises from Brady and quite a few Boston beat writers, nipping at his heels.

Prediction: Our new Bethel Johnson. Hangs out for a couple years as our Return man but never breaks through as a receiver.

2010-Part of me thinks Cunningham could be a bust even though I want him to succeed more than any Rookie from this years draft class. I'm going to go with Ted Larsen though. Guy was a sixth round pick. Now I realize sixth round picks aren't normally busts because even if they get cut before camp, well it was just a sixth round pick right? Wrong, this guy got drafted at a position (Center) that I believe we have serious problems at. Koppen is the weak link on the line and we do not have much in the way of a quality backup. Larsen should be pushing for the starters spot come 2011, but at a very crowded OL and Tackle and Guard always needing a a good backup or two, quality backups for the Center seems to go unnoticed. This means Larsen might have a shorter leash than most other rookies.

Your thoughts??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Re: Biggest Busts...

A 6th round bust?  You are an idiot.

Wheatley or Brace have/will be the biggest busts.  2nd round picks have to do something.

Chad Jackson even worse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

True, while we are all trying to figure out who could be the next pro bowler there is just as good a chance that some guys will turn out to be busts.  The Pats have been talking up Tate this year which is not thier MO so I'm not going to go with Tate.  I'll go with Brace.  From this draft I don't know but if I had to guess it would be Gronk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

All 12 of the 2009 draft choices have made it as far as the second training camp, down to the last seventh rounder.  No Vernon Gholston busts are visible.  The biggest possible busts so far have been MacKenzie and Tate.  They're both competing, but I'm not convinced that either one of them will hold up to NFL-level pounding.  We'll see.  MacKenzie is in no way the fault of the scouting staff, as he tore his knee in the Patriots' rookie camp.  Maybe next year we can blame the scouting staff (or maybe not) for gambling on a one-kneed receiver, but right now Mr. Tate really wants his job so the jury is out.  We'll have to wait.

I have no bust of 2010 yet.  Calling Cunningham a bust doesn't fly because he's already gotten reps with the first team.  Gronk is a gamble and he could possibly be a bust someday, but he could be a late-blooming star too.  Teach him how to pass-block first.

I suspect that Wheatley and Wilhite will get second place for the 2008 bust awards.  The bugboys were drafted too small.  The scouting staff took a risk.  They should know that tiny cornerbacks often get damaged quickly.  BB did get some use out of the CBs in the meantime.

The winner might be third rounder Crable.  Might be.  He's competing too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Maroney

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Biggest Busts...:
    All I have been hearing is how everyone thinks guys like Brace will emerge this year, how Spikes will be a starter opposite Mayo, Rich Orhnberger will make a push with Mankins out, Deaderick will be a guy to watch and even Crable will finally break out. History tells us not all of our recent draft picks will pan out. My question is out of the last three drafts who is/will be the biggest draft busts from each one? Mine are as follows... 2008-Terrence Wheatley-Guy was a second rounder and has never been better than 4th on the depth chart all while having a relative weak CB corps. Looks to me like he might stuggle to find a roster spot this season. Prediction:Gets cut during pre season. 2009-Brandon Tate-Guy was a third rounder coming off an injury. Without said injury scouts pegged him as a first rounder. All this added extra hype and pressure to be great. Reality is this guy was an average receiver in college who ran sloppy routes, but was great with the ball in his hands. Hence, his return ability. If he emerges as top kick returner and provides depth on punt returns this year I could see him staying with the club. However, WR is a crowded position on this team with 3 players clearly ahead of him (Moss, Welker, Edelman) 1 player most likely ahead (Holt) and Taylor Price, who is getting praises from Brady and quite a few Boston beat writers, nipping at his heels. Prediction: Our new Bethel Johnson. Hangs out for a couple years as our Return man but never breaks through as a receiver. 2010-Part of me thinks Cunningham could be a bust even though I want him to succeed more than any Rookie from this years draft class. I'm going to go with Ted Larsen though. Guy was a sixth round pick. Now I realize sixth round picks aren't normally busts because even if they get cut before camp, well it was just a sixth round pick right? Wrong, this guy got drafted at a position (Center) that I believe we have serious problems at. Koppen is the weak link on the line and we do not have much in the way of a quality backup. Larsen should be pushing for the starters spot come 2011, but at a very crowded OL and Tackle and Guard always needing a a good backup or two, quality backups for the Center seems to go unnoticed. This means Larsen might have a shorter leash than most other rookies. Your thoughts??
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

Training camp has not even started and you're already talking about cutting people? Ridiculous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bdcjoker. Show bdcjoker's posts

uncle cracker you are by far he biggest ahole on the forum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

How about any first round pick that isn't a starter from day 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

it was a joke, but point taken

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hammer219. Show hammer219's posts

In Response to Biggest Busts...:
    Koppen the weak link on the offensive line? I agree that he is a weak link, but in my opinion, Kascur and Neal have been weaker and throw Light in there against good teams. The two linemen we had last year worthy of an elite team was Mankins and Vollmer.

Where does that leave the OL this year?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

@hammer - at no point has Stephen Neal been a weak point other than the fact that he gets injured.

Watch the game film.  He wins his battles, particularly in the run game

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

2008 Wheatly. This kid had amazing speed and quickness. But his rep out of Colorado was he was injury prone.

2009 Brace. Hope I'm wrong cause we need him. Tate and McKenzie IMHO, could end up being great finds. Both have talent, size and speed for their positions.

2010 I like all the picks, really. I don't see Gronk as a bust, unless his back injury flares up. He'll be much better than Watson, I hope. Cunningham is the only one that worries me, I see too much Pierre Woods there.