Biggest Concern(s) Going Into The Playoffs.....?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Re: Biggest Concern(s) Going Into The Playoffs.....?

In Response to Biggest Concern(s) Going Into The Playoffs.....?:
    [QUOTE]Offensively, I have few concerns regarding the Patriots. So long as they continue to mix up plays - and use the TE corp to their advantage (in both the passing and running games). I think we still need to worry about that one team that gets their pass rush game going full on and harassing Brady to death. Defensively, things are looking up. I'm still thinking our tackling in spots occasionally get sloppy (but that happens with other teams too). As long as we continue to get turnovers in our favor (and capitalize on them offensively) - then teams can have all the yards they want (just no points...lol). Special Teams - doing okay. Will need to take care of little stuff like coverage for onsite kicks. The kicking game is a concern.  Short(er) kickoffs may lend to better field position with opponents. And it'll be that much harder for Graham the lower the temperature it gets (or the windier). Punting seems to be holding up pretty good. Oh, and a 2 week layoff can be a good and/or bad thing. Good to give us time to get healthy and prepare for opponents....can be bad if we start off slow in that first playoff game - and don't score early and often.  It'll be a totally different game for the patriots - playing behind - or in a close, low scoring game. Anways, what do other people think?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

My biggest worry would be just the general youth of the team. I'm counting on the Belichick and team vets to keep the rookies from getting overwhelmed by the playoff experience.

If they get through the first games with a win, I think they'll be fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Playcalling. Even though we've been beating the pants off opposing teams, I've still seen a few series here and there where the playcalling has reverted back to 2009. I don't expect to beat teams 45-3 or 36-7 in the playoffs so each series will be scrutinized even more. The two tight end set is what's murdering defenses so let's stick with it and not go into that dreaded, and outdated, spread formation.

Otherwise, I like that our offense and defense are both trending upward. Special teams is still a constant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't think the youth is a concern. They're no longer rookies anymore and I think we have enough veterans on both sides of the ball to keep the kids focused on just playing football.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

Defensive line depth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Cool stat from the Sports Illustrated I got in the mail today:

Second half win/loss and margin of victory

Year: 2001
    W/L: 7-1
    Avg. Margin of Victory: 9.3

Year: 2003
    W/L: 8-0
    Avg. Margin of Victory: 10.6

Year: 2004
    W/L: 7-1
    Avg. Margin of Victory: 14.4

Year: 2007
    Avg. Margin of Victory: 13.9

Year: 2010
    Avg. Margin of Victory: 21.8

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Biggest concerns?

Can we come from behind what happens if the offense doesn't click on the first half and we are down by 17, do we have a defense that can give us enough time to for a comeback and on offense how will the young players react when the AFC title is on the line 4th quater in and we are down by 3 touchdowns?

Hopefully Brady won't let that happen but there are defenses out there that can do that to us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

I think it would take a perfect storm of sorts...

an opponent willing to run and stay with a dink/dunk passing game.

an opponent willing to throw caution to the wind and run every trick play in their book.

Plus turnovers by the Pats, or a really bad day for Brady.

Plus bad calls at critical times by the officials.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I'm with Sam-Adams. Baltimore's defense has regressed and yes, Ed Reed is great, but a lot of his picks are moronic decisions by the opposing QB's. I don't see Brady making a few of those mistakes in ONE GAME let alone the entire stretch of 3 games we need to win in January/February.

The Chiefs have the closest thing to the Browns in terms of hunger, knowledge of our staff, tendencies, etc. I've heard about 10 Patriots interviewed the past few weeks and when asked about a turning point, they all say Cleveland because they didn't prepare as they normally do and they got sloppy. I don't see them laying that egg again this year. Plus, two fumbles, two/three key drops, and then a late pick by Brady when he clearly had to pass his team into a victory. Won't happen again.

I fear Indy in a sense because they can match us point for point. I don't see them getting any weak PI calls because the game would be in Foxboro. Otherwise, you might as well chalk them into the Super Bowl..........

Unless the Steelers ditch their zone defense, which I highly doubt, they're goners. Big Ben's offensive line will make our pass rush look 2007-Giants-esque.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Biggest Concern(s) Going Into The Playoffs.....?:
    [QUOTE]Defense in general.  Look at what GB did with a BACKUP QB.  Facing goood teams is gonna be a HUGE difference. I don't think people realize what a good team could potentially do to this defense.  Outscoring opponents is always possible with the Offense the Pats have, no matter how bad the D plays....but still, it is my biggest fear. IF we get the Ravens for the first game then I think the game is basically a coin flip.  I don't think people realize how good the Ravens actually are.
    Posted by SoxinBoston[/QUOTE]

We had nobody on the defensive line in that game, some untimely penalties (offsides and facemask by Wilfork), and yes, I bet the guys took Flynn lightly.

The Ravens?! Please. Stuff the run and Flacco won't do anything against our defense. Watch. Look up the boxscore from last year's playoff game, Flacco still didn't do anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

will they be serving blueberries at halftime?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

1. Continuity W/Playcalling - Bill O'Brien's penchant for using the shotgun.  When he used it in the game on Sunday, it did not work again. Please, no Josh McDaniels ego moments.

That's a very small concern, though, admittedly.

2. Health - This goes for both sides of the ball. Is Connolly going to be ready?  What about Mike Wright?

3. Youth - Personally, I think this is overblown and I know Rodney Harrison is beating his chest comparing his rookie year to this team's set of rookies and younger players, but I am not putting a lot of stock into it.

4. STs - At the beginning of the year, I had this as a strength, but it appears to be more inconistent than anything. Not a huge, huge deal, but the coverage units in particular need to step it up. Mesko has been outstanding and I have faith in Graham.

5. Over-Confidence - Remains a slight, slight concern, but I believe Wilfork when he says that the team does not want to repeat the taste left in their mouth, post Cleveland.

If I had one major concern out of these 5, it's health.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Cool stat from the Sports Illustrated I got in the mail today: Second half win/loss and margin of victory Year: 2001 W/L: 7-1 Avg. Margin of Victory: 9.3 Year: 2003 W/L: 8-0 Avg. Margin of Victory: 10.6 Year: 2004 W/L: 7-1 Avg. Margin of Victory: 14.4 Year: 2007 W/L: 8-0 Avg. Margin of Victory: 13.9 Year: 2010 W/L: 8-0 Avg. Margin of Victory: 21.8
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

I will now channel the troll/hater/jealous fan mindset:..................

Those great stats are because BB hurries his video coordinator into the locker room at halftime, where the coaching staff quickly reviews the other team's defensive signals, which magically made Charlie Weis and McDaniels the best playcallers of all time, not to mention made Brady what he is today.

Yes, it's true. In 12 minutes, they feverishly scan in-game video footage and become unstoppable in the 2nd half.

Mark Schlereth, Cris Carter, Merrilk Hoge, et al, all told me this a few years ago.  They played in the league so it HAS to be true.   They also knew everything their coaches did, so of course, they would never lie or spin.

:))

It also helps me feel better when my team failed against NE or was absolutely throttled off the field in nationally televised games.

So, as a jealous fan I think those numbers should have an "asterisk" next to them.*

*Extreme Sarcasm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/comish/goodell.html" target="_self">Roger Goodell

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Biggest Concern(s) Going Into The Playoffs.....? : Who's
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Ravens from AFC (I know they declining but I think Ray lewis still can manage one last stand) and they can run I would say any team that can run on us crazy has the best chance and that team might be in the NFC.

I'm not alarmed I think if we keep doing what we do it'll all be good but a team that can run and bring pressure from the middle like the packers did is our Achilles heel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Biggest Concern(s) Going Into The Playoffs.....? : The Pats had no D line for the Green Bay game first off, and secondly have you watched any of the Pats other games for the last month??? 7 points to Chicago, 3 to the Jets, 3 to the Bills, 7 to Miami. "Facing good teams is going to be a big difference" Ummmm... the Pats schedule wasn't exactly filled with slouches. Colts, Steelers, Bears, etc... You fear what a good team could do to this defense and then you mention the Ravens??? The Ravens Offense struggled to put up 10 points on the Steelers, a team the Pats put up 39 on. Your point baffles me!
    Posted by Prophet76[/QUOTE]

Bingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Many of the Irrationals don't have points.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Biggest Concern(s) Going Into The Playoffs.....? : I will now channel the troll/hater/jealous fan mindset:.................. Those great stats are because BB hurries his video coordinator into the locker room at halftime, where the coaching staff quickly reviews the other team's defensive signals, which magically made Charlie Weis and McDaniels the best playcallers of all time, not to mention made Brady what he is today. Yes, it's true. In 12 minutes, they feverishly scan in-game video footage and become unstoppable in the 2nd half. Mark Schlereth, Cris Carter, Merrilk Hoge, et al, all told me this a few years ago.  They played in the league so it HAS to be true.   They also knew everything their coaches did, so of course, they would never lie or spin. :)) It also helps me feel better when my team failed against NE or was absolutely throttled off the field in nationally televised games. So, as a jealous fan I think those numbers should have an "asterisk" next to them.* *Extreme Sarcasm
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Russ, you seem like you've read/undressed some similar posts before? HA!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Cool stat from the Sports Illustrated I got in the mail today: Second half win/loss and margin of victory Year: 2001 W/L: 7-1 Avg. Margin of Victory: 9.3 Year: 2003 W/L: 8-0 Avg. Margin of Victory: 10.6 Year: 2004 W/L: 7-1 Avg. Margin of Victory: 14.4 Year: 2007 W/L: 8-0 Avg. Margin of Victory: 13.9 Year: 2010 W/L: 8-0 Avg. Margin of Victory: 21.8

Wow, talk about playing your best football when it matters most! This is a better situation to be in then 2007 when teams had (slightly) figured us out and started to slow us down by week 12.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I understand the concern about pass blocking with 2007 SB in memory. But that passing game looked downfield first and that requires more time before throwing the ball. With the current passing schemes and stable of potential receivers Brady does not need quite as long. Also and significantly the TEs (all three of them) add not only very strong targets for Brady and mismatches agasint the D but they also often help in the blocking schemes, even on passes. Depending on what the D package is and what Brady's read is they can adjust at the line and keep an additional blocker in. THis was not an option in the 2007 SB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

My only concern at this point is the defense's ability to keep points off the board. They've kinda been living off of turnovers and at some point it will end.  I still expect the Pats to come out on top although we may be in for a few nailbiters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think the youth is a concern. They're no longer rookies anymore and I think we have enough veterans on both sides of the ball to keep the kids focused on just playing football.

We've gotten pretty lucky with the young players; like McCourty, Herndandez, Gronk, and Mesko.

I don't know what the stats are, but how many rookie CBs and TEs and punters have performed as well as the guys above during their rookie season? Most of the time, it takes several years for players to develop (depending on the position).

We certainly needed these guys during the regular season; and it's going to be that much more important for these guys to contribute w/o mental/rookie errors in the playoffs where the stress level/pressure/adrenaline reaches new highs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]will they be serving blueberries at halftime?
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

LMAO. Probably not fresh ones.  Please go the thread on favorite fruits for helpful suggestions.Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I understand the concern about pass blocking with 2007 SB in memory. But that passing game looked downfield first and that requires more time before throwing the ball. With the current passing schemes and stable of potential receivers Brady does not need quite as long. Also and significantly the TEs (all three of them) add not only very strong targets for Brady and mismatches agasint the D but they also often help in the blocking schemes, even on passes. Depending on what the D package is and what Brady's read is they can adjust at the line and keep an additional blocker in. THis was not an option in the 2007 SB.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

That's true, and the Patriots started to put points on the board by changing things up - albeit a little late.

However, if any team out there plays lights out w/ pass rush the entire game - we will have problems. The bad part is that it's the playoffs, and it can happen on any given day. Hopefully, we won't run into the same thing like in 2007.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]My only concern at this point is the defense's ability to keep points off the board. They've kinda been living off of turnovers and at some point it will end.  I still expect the Pats to come out on top although we may be in for a few nailbiters.
    Posted by patsfaninpa420[/QUOTE]

If I have a concern, this^ is it. The defense is what it is, and can be nerve-wracking to watch sometimes. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but a team that can hang onto the ball could give the Pats trouble.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I have none, this team is strong