Biggest needs - post draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Biggest needs - post draft

I know a lot of people are freaking out about the TE depth, but to me thats not a huge concern. Keller will probably get signed if his medicals check out and I think Tony Gonzalez could be a legitimate in season possibility.

For me, the big issue is Linebacker depth. Right now the team only has 3 legit LB's, and Mayo is coming off a major inury, Collins is very raw, and Hightower has been so inconsistent. Add to that the fact that the only other players listed at LB are special teams guys, I think this is a position that needs to be addressed before the start of the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Biggest needs - post draft

In response to artielang's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know a lot of people are freaking out about the TE depth, but to me thats not a huge concern. Keller will probably get signed if his medicals check out and I think Tony Gonzalez could be a legitimate in season possibility.

For me, the big issue is Linebacker depth. Right now the team only has 3 legit LB's, and Mayo is coming off a major inury, Collins is very raw, and Hightower has been so inconsistent. Add to that the fact that the only other players listed at LB are special teams guys, I think this is a position that needs to be addressed before the start of the season.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt they bring in anybody at LB. By the end of the season last year, Collins wasn't raw at all and Hightower was no longer inconsistent. Add in Will Smith and that they were in nickle or dime over 60% of the snaps last year and they don't really need any more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree with the OP.  I was expecting them to draft a LB, actually.  They did pick up two rookie free agent LBs, but I suspect several more free agents (rookie and/or veteran) will end up on the team before the regular season begins. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

[/QUOTE]

I doubt they bring in anybody at LB. By the end of the season last year, Collins wasn't raw at all and Hightower was no longer inconsistent. Add in Will Smith and that they were in nickle or dime over 60% of the snaps last year and they don't really need any more.

[/QUOTE]

i'm talking more about a backup in case of injury, or just to spell the starters for a few plays a game. i really dont want to see beauharnais or an undrafted free agent out there. will smith doesnt factor in, he is purely a situational DE pass rusher. a coverage type backup is a big need...kinda like a dane fletcher. wish we didnt let him get away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Passing on Jordan Tripp at the end of the 4th and Yawin Smallwood in the 7th was stupid in my mind.

But, agree that they play a ton of nickel and also Chandler Jones and Nink can drop back and play with their hands off the ground in a 3-4.

Not as big a need as TE in my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

TE  of course!

I would take a vet WR.  Would be good with adding another LB.  What is going on at RB?  I would have liked Blount to have stayed, would have loved picking up Moreno.  I feel someone has to be added at RB.  If Ridley fumbles he is riding the bench then who are you using?  Vereen and Boulden are it.. well besides the rookie.  Would like to see a more durable and dependable vet at RB.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

TE and LB depth.  That said, lots of time to add depth before the start of the reg season.  FAs will be there once the cut downs begin.  Needs to fill?  Yes.  Major concern? Not in my opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think they need a "play on two feet" kind of LB in the mould of a Mayo or Collins.  Sure, Chandler Jones can drop back, but he's still basically a "hands in the dirt" guy.  Nink has played more as a true LB, so he could provide some depth at that position, especially if the other DLs can take over for him at DE.  But the OP is right that depth in that traditional upright LB position is thin.  I think ATJ is probably right that the Pats are likely to look closely at cut players in August and September, unless Beauharnais or one or more of the rookie free agents shows well.  

As far as playing with extra DBs, the Pats will do that a lot, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are taking out a LB to put in the extra DB.  Sometimes its a DL that comes out.  And there's still the matter of having back-up to give the starters a breather or take over if an injury occurs. So nickel defenses don't completely negate the need for depth at LB. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

1 lb need 2 , rotational depth is a necessity

2 te may need 1, depends on Justin

White is now Blount

another wr only if Dobson doesn't recover

We can have some hope that at the end of the season our rookies ,like on Oline, grow like Collins did, because we have the best coach

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land