Bill Belichick and Jim Brown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Bill Belichick and Jim Brown

Just watching Inside the NFL on Showtime and Jim Brown was the guest.  Sounds like him and BB has some very good history together off the field.  Brown was asked top 3 people in his life he respects and Jim Brown said top 3 heros and friends in his life are Bobby Knight, Bill Belichick and Bill Russell.  Very interesting!

Did anyone know about this friendship between Jim Brown and Bill Belichick?

After a little research I found this..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025537/3/index.htm

SI: What current athlete do you admire?

Brown: Compared with a Bill Russell?

SI: Sure.

Brown: Nobody.

SI: Compared with a Jim Brown.

Brown: I don't compare myself with anyone. Let me tell you about someone I do admire. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any black athlete in modern times—financially, intellectually, every way. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland [where Belichick coached the Browns from 1991 to '95]. He's put up money. He's opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the same thing.

Fascinating!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Bill Belichick and Jim Brown

The press doesn't like Belichick, some haters here don't like Belichick, but anyone who doesn't have unrealistic expectations for the guy love him.  He doesn't sugarcoat sht, he doesn't blow smoke up your as.  He tells it like it is, he makes smart pragmatic decisions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

No way Belichick is philanthropic or a role model to anybody.  I've been told he doesn't like answering stupid questions from the press.  And also that he hates puppies.  Real sick guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

TFB12, thanks for posting that.  What an eye-opener!!  I had no idea, none, that friendship existed nor had I any clue the BB was engaged in that kind of outreach.  Whole new dimensionn to the guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sure lets you know how he feels about Jordan   

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I have little doubt that BB is a great guy; great football coach too. GM? Not so much.

His press conferences absolutely blow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I do find it hilarious that some claim one hates BB because they simply call out his flaws; no matter how much they sing praise to his strengths.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I do find it hilarious that some claim one hates BB because they simply call out his flaws; no matter how much they sing praise to his strengths. 

I'll be honest with you, Babe.  I don't think you hate BB and you do give him his due as a head coach.  What I will say is that I think you are assessing BB's performance as a GM out of context and to an unrealistically high standard.  You attribute the team's success over the years to the presence of Brady and there is no question that Brady is in the running for GOAT but show me any highly successful team over the long haul and you'll find a great QB in the mix. 

Hey, it all depends on how you view it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I'll be honest with you, Babe.  I don't think you hate BB and you do give him his due as a head coach.  What I will say is that I think you are assessing BB's performance as a GM out of context and to an unrealistically high standard.  You attribute the team's success over the years to the presence of Brady and there is no question that Brady is in the running for GOAT but show me any highly successful team over the long haul and you'll find a great QB in the mix. 

Hey, it all depends on how you view it.

I've always said, a coach can't be great without great players. And people constantly misrepresent what I say about him as a GM. I say he is average. Maybe a bit better than that. People read that as saying he sucks; because of their unrealistic views.

Do I think an average GM is good enough for our team? Hell no.

I have little doubt BB and I would be good friends if our paths crossed. We would both liberally tell each other when we were completely FOS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Bill Belichick is the greatest coach I have ever watched in the NFL.  The man is just plain fascinating to watch work.  He was the reason I became a Pats fan.  You go back and look at the team of coaches he surrounded himself with in Cleveland, some very recognizable names there.  Had the Browns never left and moved to Baltimore that Browns team would have won a couple of Super Bowls with Bill Belichick.  And it's possible he may have never joined the Patriots.  How crazy is that.  If you watched the NFL network 2 part show about Belichick you would probably agree that it was some of the best tv ever.  To get a little look of BB behind the scenes is amazing tv.

However, as much as I like BB, I have no problem being objective and admitting he has some faults. 

He is horrible in most interviews.  He really could be better with the media.  This really hurts how the team is perceived by others.  One of the reasons the team is so disliked by fans and some players around the league.

I think he controls too much.  I think being the head coach and the GM is a conflict of interest and is the reason why BB is not the great GM some like to think he is.  I think overall the team suffers because they do not have a good GM who isn't also the coach.

It's great fun having a team and players you like and cheer for but it takes the experience to a whole higher level when you have an amazing coach that you find fascinating and look forward to watching coach on Sunday just as much as you enjoy watching the players play.  That is what you get with Bill Belicheck as your teams head coach.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry, but which GM drafted Tom Brady when he probably would have gone undrafted?

Yeah, conversation over...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I don't know BB, but I have followed him since his days as the Giants DC. I can tell you that he is all about putting his team in the best position to win no matter what area he is operating in (Media, Coach, Gm, Football operations, personnel...).

He is required by the league to speak to the media, so he does. However, he will not give anything whatsoever that could make it easier for any other team to possiblly obtain a competitive advantage, in other words, he says nothing. The league also requires that other staff and members of the team be available to talk to the media, so he let's them talk, but makes sure they stick to the party line - say nothing.

I lived in DC for a couple years when Joe Gibbs had returned to coach and it was ridiculous. He had a TV show, the OC and DC were regulars on TV shows, the owner gave interviews, the players could say whatever they wanted, everyone on that team was talking. PS, the team sucked. There were constantly squabbles and hurt feeings and contradictions and finger pointing, it was a total circus. Having seen that insanity, I think BB is right on. I'm sure that behind closed doors there's all knds of that stuff happening with the Pats, and I'd like to know more about the team and BB and gameplanning and all that, but having seen the clown show that was the Redskins at that time, I'm happy with the glowering, resentful, taciturn BB - just show me the results on the field!

He doesn't care about statistics, no joke. All these prognosticators and radio call-in fans that point to offensive and defensive rankings, and points allowed, and rant and rave about all that BS make me laugh - BB doesn't care. He just cares about W and L. He doesn't care if his D gives up yards, as long as his game plan is executed. Case in point last week - they blanketed Tampa's running back and primary receiver in the pasing game. The secondary and tertiary receviers made some plays, but I noticed that the RB (forgot his name already) was getting pasted by multiple people anytime he came out of the backfield as a receiver. They took the top two offensive weapons out of the game, figuratively and literally. Tampa moved the ball with the other guys, but look at the result. I'll bet he was pretty happy with that execution. Another great coaching job.

Someday when he retires I hope that he will write a detailed, no holds barred autobiography that opens up all the curtains on his time with the Pats. I think it would make absolutely fascinating reading.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

However, as much as I like BB, I have no problem being objective and admitting he has some faults. 

He is horrible in most interviews.  He really could be better with the media.  This really hurts how the team is perceived by others.  One of the reasons the team is so disliked by fans and some players around the league.

I think he controls too much.  I think being the head coach and the GM is a conflict of interest and is the reason why BB is not the great GM some like to think he is.  I think overall the team suffers because they do not have a good GM who isn't also the coach.

It's great fun having a team and players you like and cheer for but it takes the experience to a whole higher level when you have an amazing coach that you find fascinating and look forward to watching coach on Sunday just as much as you enjoy watching the players play.  That is what you get with Bill Belicheck as your teams head coach.

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

I took out the parts where you praise BB. The rest....here is you know who's reply...."TROLL. What are you some dumb millenial that works flipping burgers? Go get a degree from a college. That is if you've even been to high school. BB is god and I pleasure myself to him every nite"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Just watching Inside the NFL on Showtime and Jim Brown was the guest.  Sounds like him and BB has some very good history together off the field.  Brown was asked top 3 people in his life he respects and Jim Brown said top 3 heros and friends in his life are Bobby Knight, Bill Belichick and Bill Russell.  Very interesting!

Did anyone know about this friendship between Jim Brown and Bill Belichick?

After a little research I found this..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025537/3/index.htm

SI: What current athlete do you admire?

Brown: Compared with a Bill Russell?

SI: Sure.

Brown: Nobody.

SI: Compared with a Jim Brown.

Brown: I don't compare myself with anyone. Let me tell you about someone I do admire. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any black athlete in modern times—financially, intellectually, every way. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland [where Belichick coached the Browns from 1991 to '95]. He's put up money. He's opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the same thing.

Fascinating!!

I thought a BB fan such as yourself would have known that already. He is very active with young players and mentorship. Ive always liked that about him. BB is truly NOT the person he is portrayed tio be. As far as Jordan goes. I was told if you dont have anything good to say...

THIS is why I seperate the two(player, person) in terms of being a fan. I didnt like Jordan early on. I was a D.Wilkins fan. MY brother loved MJ. Over the years I had no choice to respect his game. He is far and away the most amazing player Ive watched, but as a person, I never hear good things about him. I am not gonna judge him but he really doesnt do much seeing as much money he makes from inner city kids staying up all night outside of malls to buy 150 dollar pair of shoes. Just enjoy athletes for what they do in their proffesion because a lot are jerks off the court/field,etc.

I remember going to work  w/my mom when she worked for smithkline/beecham. Back in the day, all the Celtics used to go there to get their blood drawn. I had a few not so nice encounters from players I looked up too. I wont say any names.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I have no problem with you taking issue with BB's abilities as a GM, though I don't agree with you.  What I do take issue with, is how you expect people to accept your critical views of him, but you don't show the same courtesy to anyone who is critical of TB.  At the very least, it makes you appear to be hypocritical.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Someday when he retires I hope that he will write a detailed, no holds barred autobiography that opens up all the curtains on his time with the Pats. I think it would make absolutely fascinating reading.

[/QUOTE]

This is also what Im waiting for. I am hoping he opens up the pandoras box to all the strange things that happen over the years and all the outside the box stuff. lets also give credit to Ernie Adams, a guy who has been behind the scenes for years. He is part of the genius. He has drawn up some of these game plans that BB gets credit for. Not a slight, just a observation for those who dont know

I want him to sit here with a stogie and say, Yea I def. flubbed up w/ocho, that son of a gun was dumber than a bag of rocks!  LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Sorry, but which GM drafted Tom Brady when he probably would have gone undrafted?

OVER???

New England Patriots

Pioli during 2007 Patriots training camp

When Belichick accepted the Patriots' head coaching position in 2000, Pioli became vice president of player personnel. The two eventually became the first personnel director/head coach tandem in league annals to win three Super Bowls during a four-year span (2001–2004).[2] He and Belichick split the duties usually held by a general manager on most other NFL teams, though Belichick had the final say.[4]

Pioli’s skills as a talent evaluator helped create a consistent championship contender in New England.[2] He was regularly recognized for his ability to build a team, not simply collecting individual talent,[2] helping to make the Patriots a "model franchise."[2] From 2000–2008, the Patriots had an NFL-best record of 102-42 (.708) and registered 14 playoff victories.[2] Pioli worked in close coordination with Belichick, bringing players to the Patriots who fit into the framework of the club’s team concept.[2] Pioli and Belichick's teams were noted for the depth of talent at all the positions[2] and used an effective combination of draft picks, free-agent signings, and trades to continually upgrade their roster.[2] The most-notable selection in an NFL Draft by Pioli and Belichick was quarterback Tom Brady, who was chosen 199th overall in the 2000 NFL Draft.[2]

In his tenure with the Patriots, Pioli earned promotions from Assistant Director of Player Personnel to Director of Player Personnel in 2001, and to Vice President of Player Personnel in 2002. Also, Pioli earned a contract extension in 2005 after being pursued by several NFL teams to become general manager.

In 2007, the Patriots finished their regular season with a 16-0 record, a first in NFL history. The team advanced to Super Bowl XLII but lost to the New York Giants 17-14 and failed to finish the season with a perfect 19-0 record. Prior to the season, Pioli executed trades to acquire wide receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss, both of whom helped the Patriots set multiple NFL records on offense.[2

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Bill Belichick is the greatest coach I have ever watched in the NFL.  The man is just plain fascinating to watch work.  He was the reason I became a Pats fan.  You go back and look at the team of coaches he surrounded himself with in Cleveland, some very recognizable names there.  Had the Browns never left and moved to Baltimore that Browns team would have won a couple of Super Bowls with Bill Belichick.  And it's possible he may have never joined the Patriots.  How crazy is that.  If you watched the NFL network 2 part show about Belichick you would probably agree that it was some of the best tv ever.  To get a little look of BB behind the scenes is amazing tv.

Since coming to this board and reading all the criticism of BB's drafting I've done some research on the drafting success of the 32 NFL teams since 2000. The Patriots are always in the top ten as far as drafting successful players. Don't take my word for it do the work yourself but those are the results.

Also, this TEAM (not Brady - the team)  has won 100 games more than it has lost under this staff. Again, don't take my word - look it up.

So - stop b!tching and enjoy the ride! My God, what do you people expect? How about being a Brown's fan?

As far as the original post goes - it doesn't suprise me that this info is not common knowledge - that's Belichick....like it or leave it!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I thought a BB fan such as yourself would have known that already. He is very active with young players and mentorship. Ive always liked that about him. BB is truly NOT the person he is portrayed tio be. As far as Jordan goes. I was told if you dont have anything good to say...

What surprised me isn't the fact that he is so active with the youth as you can see most of that on his bio's, but Jim Brown showing such high regard for BB.  Sure, they had a connection in Cleveland, Ozzie Newsome has mad respect for BB but I didn't know BB did so much with Jim Brown and Jim Brown had such respect for BB to include him as 1 of the 3 best friends respected people in his life.  Awesome stuff!

Now the Michael Jordan stuff isn't a surprise.  I could tell a few stories of what I personnaly have seen with him

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

What surprised me isn't the fact that he is so active with the youth as you can see most of that on his bio's, but Jim Brown showing such high regard for BB.  Sure, they had a connection in Cleveland, Ozzie Newsome has mad respect for BB but I didn't know BB did so much with Jim Brown and Jim Brown had such respect for BB to include him as 1 of the 3 best friends respected people in his life.  Awesome stuff!

Now the Michael Jordan stuff isn't a surprise.  I could tell a few stories of what I personnaly have seen with him

Yes its interesting in deed. Almost makes you wonder if BB was trying to turn Hernandez around and maybe knew about his gang ties but saw the talent and the good side and tried to help him. Now some will take this wrong. Its not a slight. Just a reminder that we are all human and BB is NOT so naiive. If he has talked with gang members, it wouldnt take long to see that Hernandez fits the bill.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Section136's comment:

Since coming to this board and reading all the criticism of BB's drafting I've done some research on the drafting success of the 32 NFL teams since 2000. The Patriots are always in the top ten as far as drafting successful players. Don't take my word for it do the work yourself but those are the results. 

Also, this TEAM (not Brady - the team)  has won 100 games more than it has lost under this staff. Again, don't take my word - look it up.

So - stop b!tching and enjoy the ride! My God, what do you people expect? How about being a Brown's fan?

As far as the original post goes - it doesn't suprise me that this info is not common knowledge - that's Belichick....like it or leave it!!

UNQUOTE

I'm afraid that unvarnished, truly objective observations such as these are lost on those who choose to believe what they choose to believe.  

And I'm really tired of reading about Pioli.  He did exactly what in KC?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

OVER???

New England Patriots

Pioli during 2007Patriots training camp

When Belichick accepted the Patriots' head coaching position in 2000, Pioli became vice president of player personnel. The two eventually became the first personnel director/head coach tandem in league annals to win three Super Bowls during a four-year span (2001–2004).[2] He and Belichick split the duties usually held by a general manager on most other NFL teams, though Belichick had the final say.[4]

Pioli’s skills as a talent evaluator helped create a consistent championship contender in New England.[2] He was regularly recognized for his ability to build a team, not simply collecting individual talent,[2] helping to make the Patriots a "model franchise."[2] From 2000–2008, the Patriots had an NFL-best record of 102-42 (.708) and registered 14 playoff victories.[2] Pioli worked in close coordination with Belichick, bringing players to the Patriots who fit into the framework of the club’s team concept.[2] Pioli and Belichick's teams were noted for the depth of talent at all the positions[2] and used an effective combination of draft picks, free-agent signings, and trades to continually upgrade their roster.[2] The most-notable selection in an NFL Draft by Pioli and Belichick was quarterback Tom Brady, who was chosen 199th overall in the 2000 NFL Draft.[2]

In his tenure with the Patriots, Pioli earned promotions from Assistant Director of Player Personnel to Director of Player Personnel in 2001, and to Vice President of Player Personnel in 2002. Also, Pioli earned a contract extension in 2005 after being pursued by several NFL teams to become general manager.

In 2007, the Patriots finished their regular season with a 16-0 record, a first in NFL history. The team advanced to Super Bowl XLII but lost to the New York Giants 17-14 and failed to finish the season with a perfect 19-0 record. Prior to the season, Pioli executed trades to acquire wide receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss, both of whom helped the Patriots set multiple NFL records on offense.[2

BB is the GM of the NE Patriots and has been since 2000. Do you think he left the loser jets at the podium by mistake?

You are a joke pretending director of pro player personnel somehow is choosing players on draft day or overruling BB on personnel decisions.

Pioli said it himself recently.  It was always Bill's show. An administrator like Pioli in that role here is not the GM, moron.

Look at you doing anything to disparage BB's incredible accomplishments as GM. The best ever, hands down.

So, the directer of "player personnel"  has nothing to do with picking players?

YOU are the joke.

I suppose Wikki is biased against BB too?

The checks and balances are not in place. This needs improvement.  Period!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

This is a good point, Babe. There is a big difference between being critical of something that the person did not do well, versus saying the person being bad at his job.

People get all defensive for the person whose deed is being critiqued, and label the person critiquing a hater. That's how most of the flame wars get started on this boards. Can be avoided if people can remember to make the distinction described above.

That applies to critiques on BB's actions. But it should also apply to critiques on TB's actions.

Where I draw the line is when, on top of the critique, people start saying he's not the right person for the job.

So, here I go at labeling, and making sweeping conclusions based on the above...

1. You hate BB as a GM. You want that role to be done by someone else. But you want him to remain to be the coach.

2. There are some of us who scratch our heads over some of the things that BB does in coaching and drafting, it does not mean they hate BB or that they want BB to give up either role.

3. Most people who critique TB don't hate TB at QB. They (actually I am part of this) want him to continue to QB for the Pats. But they also want him to raise his game on SBs and playoff games - not make rookie mistakes. That's really what won them the 3 SB games - not the great Ds.

4. Where Rusty is with regard to #3, I am not sure. He's farther to an extreme than most. Maybe you can ask him what he wants to happen, bottomline.

Sections
Shortcuts