Bill Belichick: No longer creative

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Bill Belichick: No longer creative

Bellichick used the "bend don't break" defense for years - and it worked because the Pats built a prolific offense. 

in 2007, the Pats offense was so dangerous that they would put pressure on other teams to score points and then the bend don't break would eventually pay off.

But in 2008 the Patriots lost Brady.  And Bellichick played the same old stupid bend don't break defense.  Now with Brady obviously weeks away and the offense looking incredibly average - Bellichick isstill playing the same old bend don't break BS defense.

He has allowed two QBs sit back and have a cup of coffee while facing soft zones.

Come on Bill?  What happened to the creative defensive schemes and blitz packages?  Remember those?  The ones you used to actually help your defense dictate part of the game?  Remember those defenses that won your first superbowl?  Could we mix in just a smidgen of that intensity and pressure?  Or ust we play passively?

This passive bend don't break strategy is killing the team.  They play with ZERO emotion as they put 7 in coverage and desperately attempt to cover for 5 - 7 seconds while Sanchez has a cup of coffee before hitting a WR that has NO DEFENDER WITHIN 5 YARDS.

Similarly, where is the offensive creativity Bill?  How many 1 yard passes are we going to throw next week?  Will it be every week and will it be every down?  Brady threw 47 times today and about 41 of those passes were 3 yard patterns.  Not very creative.

And one last hint, Bill.  You may want to include Randy Moss in teh gameplan next week.  He's pretty good.  If you can - get creative and maybe draw up a NEW play OR TWO that get Moss the ball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Re: Bill Belichick: No longer creative

A football win starts at the line of scrimmage and it looks like the fat f u c k s up front forgot what got tehm 3 SB wins and tehy are abunch of softies upfront! no QB protection except in the 2nd half and no running lanes.  

BB got outcoached today, yet again, bring back that s h i t head from ND and the unemplyed Crennel we may have a shot then.  Parcells hasn't won without BB and BB hasn't won without romeo and the fat slob weis

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from iclaudius. Show iclaudius's posts

I agree with you Ghost, and I know you have been saying this for some time.
    The O-line (my biggest beef) and play-calling are very suspect these days.

It seems that ol' trick-up-the-sleeve coaching went into hiding with Bin-Laden.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyBradyFan. Show LadyBradyFan's posts

The game is what it is. Jets game is over. Time to move on to Atlanta who by the way did win today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Brother Ghost: Amen!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

When the Pats were scoring 40 points a week - it covered up the fact that Bellichick hasn't been creative on the defensive side of the ball in years.

Now it is glaringly obvious that he is no longer a defensive genius.

Atlanta has a good pas rush.  Expect another week next week like the last two. 

Matt Ryan will have minutes to stand and go to his 7th option as Bill employs the "bend don't break" (aka prevent) defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Uh, the years we won the SB's were hardly years that the Pats had a prolific offense.  In fact, we won mostly due to our defenses those years.  The Pats defense was near the top in scoring defense.  We allowed yards, but not scores.  That's what "bend but don't break" meant.

Our defense did not lose this game.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Two things: we had a LOT more talent on defense those years (namely a young Rodney Harrison, a young Tedy Bruschi, and a young Mike Vrabel - we also had a young Ty Law)

Second, those guys not only communicated well and rarely missed their assignments, but they also took tremendous pride in keeping teams out of the endzone.  Right now, I see a defense struggling to find leaders, confidence, and consistency.  They need an identity, and the sooner Mayo can be healthy, the faster the process will go.  In the meantime, Guyton is getting valuable minutes - he'll improve over time (particularly shedding a blocker to make the tackle for a short gain instead of being dragged for another 5 yards).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I agree we had more defensive talent in the past - which lent itself to "bend don't break"

Now we have a young defense - that we have been told is much faster. 

So a fast, inexperienced defense should not play the "bend don't break"  (aka prevent defense).

Time for creativity - but does the coaching staff have ANY creativity left?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I agree completely. There was a time, when a BB defense vs a rookie QB was an automatic win and the rookie would look completely lost out there. It has been several years since that has happened.

Now, 2 weeks in a row, we have a sub-par Trent E. and a Rookie, looking pretty comfortable for most of the game. The Pats made some plays on D, but neither opponent looked, in any way,confused by the schemes we ran.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

He looked disinterested while he was picking his teeth with the play calling card! What's with that!?? What happened to the defensive mad genius? All we've seen the past few years is defensive failure starting with the AFC Championship game against Indy. Keep letting talent walk out the door though for draft picks we'll never use!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

In the first half of yesterdays game Sanchez was looking at a different look everytime he snaped the ball and so Belichick was doing it yesterday he just simply didnt do it enough in the second half. That and Tom Brady forgot how to play the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Bill Belichick: No longer creative:
    [QUOTE]Bellichick used the "bend don't break" defense for years - and it worked because the Pats built a prolific offense.  in 2007, the Pats offense was so dangerous that they would put pressure on other teams to score points and then the bend don't break would eventually pay off. But in 2008 the Patriots lost Brady.  And Bellichick played the same old stupid bend don't break defense.  Now with Brady obviously weeks away and the offense looking incredibly average - Bellichick isstill playing the same old bend don't break BS defense. He has allowed two QBs sit back and have a cup of coffee while facing soft zones. Come on Bill?  What happened to the creative defensive schemes and blitz packages?  Remember those?  The ones you used to actually help your defense dictate part of the game?  Remember those defenses that won your first superbowl?  Could we mix in just a smidgen of that intensity and pressure?  Or ust we play passively? This passive bend don't break strategy is killing the team.  They play with ZERO emotion as they put 7 in coverage and desperately attempt to cover for 5 - 7 seconds while Sanchez has a cup of coffee before hitting a WR that has NO DEFENDER WITHIN 5 YARDS. Similarly, where is the offensive creativity Bill?  How many 1 yard passes are we going to throw next week?  Will it be every week and will it be every down?  Brady threw 47 times today and about 41 of those passes were 3 yard patterns.  Not very creative. And one last hint, Bill.  You may want to include Randy Moss in teh gameplan next week.  He's pretty good.  If you can - get creative and maybe draw up a NEW play OR TWO that get Moss the ball.   
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Where in the last 2 games makes you think that we don't have a good D?  Is it the game we gave up 17 points or the game where we gave up 16 points?

All you whiners sound like idiots.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Belichick: No longer creative:
    [QUOTE]I agree with you Ghost, and I know you have been saying this for some time. The O-line (my biggest beef) and play-calling are very suspect these days. It seems that ol' trick-up-the-sleeve coaching went into hiding with Bin-Laden.
    Posted by iclaudius[/QUOTE]

It isn't the playcalling, when the players don't exicute the plays properly.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, the years we won the SB's were hardly years that the Pats had a prolific offense.  In fact, we won mostly due to our defenses those years.  The Pats defense was near the top in scoring defense.  We allowed yards, but not scores.  That's what "bend but don't break" meant. Our defense did not lose this game.  
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

I don't think that he is smart enough to know that.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]I agree completely. There was a time, when a BB defense vs a rookie QB was an automatic win and the rookie would look completely lost out there. It has been several years since that has happened. Now, 2 weeks in a row, we have a sub-par Trent E. and a Rookie, looking pretty comfortable for most of the game. The Pats made some plays on D, but neither opponent looked, in any way,confused by the schemes we ran.
    Posted by jedinate[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah....Those 137 passing yards the Jets got were really scary!
      LOL and the 186 passing yds that the Bills got sent chills down my spine!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

No pressure on the QB the entire second half. 

When you don't have a 2007 offense - you better have a creative, opportunistic defense.

Haven't seen that type of defense in YEARS. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Bellichick used the "bend don't break" defense for years - and it worked because the Pats built a prolific offense.  in 2007, the Pats offense was so dangerous that they would put pressure on other teams to score points and then the bend don't break would eventually pay off. But in 2008 the Patriots lost Brady.  And Bellichick played the same old stupid bend don't break defense.  Now with Brady obviously weeks away and the offense looking incredibly average - Bellichick isstill playing the same old bend don't break BS defense. He has allowed two QBs sit back and have a cup of coffee while facing soft zones. Come on Bill?  What happened to the creative defensive schemes and blitz packages?  Remember those?  The ones you used to actually help your defense dictate part of the game?  Remember those defenses that won your first superbowl?  Could we mix in just a smidgen of that intensity and pressure?  Or ust we play passively? This passive bend don't break strategy is killing the team.  They play with ZERO emotion as they put 7 in coverage and desperately attempt to cover for 5 - 7 seconds while Sanchez has a cup of coffee before hitting a WR that has NO DEFENDER WITHIN 5 YARDS. Similarly, where is the offensive creativity Bill?  How many 1 yard passes are we going to throw next week?  Will it be every week and will it be every down?  Brady threw 47 times today and about 41 of those passes were 3 yard patterns.  Not very creative. And one last hint, Bill.  You may want to include Randy Moss in teh gameplan next week.  He's pretty good.  If you can - get creative and maybe draw up a NEW play OR TWO that get Moss the ball.   

Am wondering about this too, Ghost. And you hit it on the nose, it's on both sides of the ball. Bottomline is that the Pats has caught what ailed the teams that the Pats beat up in 01, 03 and 04 -- one dimensional/ predictable.

I still remember how the comments during the game against the greatest show on turf. Commentators where praising the Pats' balance on offense (they were running on passing downs and throwing on rushing downs, and pass/ rush distribution was around near 50-50) and how the Rams offensive line could not figure out where the Pats were to come from. I feel that the Pats took over the "greatest show" title in 2007, let it get to their heads (God I hope not) and took for granted the other aspects of the game.

I wonder how the staff will get the team to the same level of sharpness when most of the staff members who understand the required level of meticulousness during game prep, to be as successful, have left the team. I hope BB's genius can overcome the brain drain.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Two things: we had a LOT more talent on defense those years (namely a young Rodney Harrison, a young Tedy Bruschi, and a young Mike Vrabel - we also had a young Ty Law) Second, those guys not only communicated well and rarely missed their assignments, but they also took tremendous pride in keeping teams out of the endzone.  Right now, I see a defense struggling to find leaders, confidence, and consistency.  They need an identity, and the sooner Mayo can be healthy, the faster the process will go.  In the meantime, Guyton is getting valuable minutes - he'll improve over time (particularly shedding a blocker to make the tackle for a short gain instead of being dragged for another 5 yards).
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

The BB system did not rely on ultra-outlier individuals. Are the talent levels of current players much lower than perceived of members of the 01 Pats? Back the the names you mention (take out Harrison) were not recognized as talented individuals. In fact I can still remember people in other teams say that the Pats were made up of no-name nobodies who got lucky witht he tuck rule (even after beating the greatest show on turf). And in 02, most of the league looked at the Pats as a one year wonder. It was only after 03 that people around the league opened their eyes. By middle of 04, they stopped doubting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, yeah....Those 137 passing yards the Jets got were really scary![/QUOTE] 

Scary enough to win, it's not the yards but the points. I can't remember the last time a team won a game, by scoring less points than their opponent. Yards are a stat, score matters, if you can't get that crucial stop, that turns a touchdown drive into a punt, you lose.

BB's defenses don't make those stops anymore and haven't for several years. Please don't be blinded by the bling on the fingers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayosmyboy51. Show mayosmyboy51's posts

Ok all this whining really needs to stop.  We should be so grateful for what Belichick has done for us - 3 Super Bowls in the 9 years he's been here.  There are still teams that have yet to even MAKE IT to a Super Bowl.  The minute he retires (pray that it won't be for another 10 years at least) everyone will now be whining about how much they miss Belichick.  The point is, we've become spoiled as Pats fans.  My dad and many other older fans had to wait 41 years to see the Lombardi Trophy come to New England.  Forget about 2007, that year is over and nothing like it will ever happen again.  All that matters is Atlanta next week.  In Bill I Trust!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

I love it. First we get the post on how Kraft has not delivered on his promise to invest in the team and now we get BB has lost his fastball. Dude, who are you? What is your creative suggestion for improvement? Sell the team and fire the coach? Clearly they are idiots and know nothing.

Did you even watch the game? Did you see the fact that Brady had 1.5 seconds to throw several passes? How far downfield can patterns be run in that time?

I suspect you are secretly Ron Borges.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisBarb. Show ChrisBarb's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Bill Belichick: No longer creative : Where in the last 2 games makes you think that we don't have a good D?  Is it the game we gave up 17 points or the game where we gave up 16 points? All you whiners sound like idiots.....
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  The jaw dropping lack of football acumen on this board astounds me. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Belichick: No longer creative : Agreed.  The jaw dropping lack of football acumen on this board astounds me. 
    Posted by ChrisBarb[/QUOTE]

Yup. Give me 17 PPG on D and I'm happy the rest of my life.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Yeah...BB has lost it...fire him!!!

Come on, guys!! Its' one bad game. If you're looking for a silver lining...as bad as the Pats' played, they lost a one-possession...one TD, regular season game. This, despite playing without arguably their best defender (Jerod Mayo), the heart of their offense (Wes Welker), and with a rusty Tom Brady. 

Chill already!!

Sections
Shortcuts