Bill Belichick: No longer creative

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Re: Bill Belichick: No longer creative

In Response to Re: Bill Belichick: No longer creative:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bill Belichick: No longer creative :      Yeah...BB has lost it...fire him!!!      Come on, guys!! Its' one bad game. If you're looking for a silver lining...as bad as the Pats' played, they lost a one-possession...one TD, regular season game. This, despite playing without arguably their best defender (Jerod Mayo), the heart of their offense (Wes Welker), and with a rusty Tom Brady.       Chill already!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Thank you

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

16 points is not a bad day on defense.  My problem is with the offense.  I watched Miami run the wildcat monday night, and it looked awesome.  I think Faulk should qb a wildcat package with Maroney comming across the way Williams does in Miami.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I love whiny message board babies who aren't satisfied with 17 points a game. They also want players who are not yet superstars to play like superstars. They want the defense to return interceptions for touchdowns. If they don't get that, the game is no fun for them and they can't enjoy their popcorn. If we average 17 points allowed this season we should be fine. That said, if I had to be concerned about one area on this team (that can't be fixed with more playing time and roster shuffling), it's the offensive line. But, it may be that with a better response to the blitz that will improve. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPat27. Show BigPat27's posts

We haven't done anything ever since they stopped the video taping!! Shoot why did they do that!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinalpap. Show spinalpap's posts

I never liked the bend dont break defense because it kept the defense on the field too long and wore them down.  I would rather see a blitzing defense with a lot of different looks and if we give up a quick TD then we get our offense back on the field to get it back and our defense wont be exhausted when its time to go back out.

The defense over the past few years has been slow and very vanilla. We need to blitz blitz blitz!  It works against us so why wouldnt it work against another team?

Maybe if the Pats hadnt waited until 2008 to draft a linebacker, we wouldnt be in this spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPat27. Show BigPat27's posts

We haven't done anything ever since they stopped the video taping!! Shoot why did they do that!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I love when a champ and proven war-chief gets backed into a corner..clear the way!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPat27. Show BigPat27's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPat27. Show BigPat27's posts

I'm gonna cry!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, the years we won the SB's were hardly years that the Pats had a prolific offense.  In fact, we won mostly due to our defenses those years.  The Pats defense was near the top in scoring defense.  We allowed yards, but not scores.  That's what "bend but don't break" meant. Our defense did not lose this game.  
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
    I thought Tom Brady was responsible for all of those wins.  Isn't that what makes him the greatest QB of all time?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]Two things: we had a LOT more talent on defense those years (namely a young Rodney Harrison, a young Tedy Bruschi, and a young Mike Vrabel - we also had a young Ty Law) Second, those guys not only communicated well and rarely missed their assignments, but they also took tremendous pride in keeping teams out of the endzone.  Right now, I see a defense struggling to find leaders, confidence, and consistency.  They need an identity, and the sooner Mayo can be healthy, the faster the process will go.  In the meantime, Guyton is getting valuable minutes - he'll improve over time (particularly shedding a blocker to make the tackle for a short gain instead of being dragged for another 5 yards).
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

In addition, experience mostly at LB, as well should be addec to your post.  This defense, having played together 2 games and assorted pre-season tilts, is not ready yet for many of the other complexities.  I believe as the season progresses, you will see some of the old stuff.  One thing is certain, this secondary will be better than the ones of the last couple years.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ieyetouch. Show ieyetouch's posts

Schumpeter,
    We may not have the personnel on D to do those things anymore. Fact is D gave up only16 points, a good enough job to win.
    Should have had 17 - 21 points at halftime. Brady played like a guy who was afraid to get hit. Seldom have seen him misfire on passes like he did Sunday.
    The whole organization is playing with old cards while the rest of the league has caught up -ie- young, hungry, fast, athletic guys and staffs who want to taste glory for the first time.
    I'm not writing off our season, but we need something that re-treads like Galloway, Taylor et al don't bring. Call it hunger, and a bit more talent

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

You cant get creative if the talent you have cannot grasp the concepts... How many times did you see blown assignments by the secondary last year... i saw alot of them, now if they cant grasp normal scheme's then how is he supposed to get creative. This is exactly the reason the pats are overhauling on DEFENSE, and expect more of it the next 2 years with our draft picks. We need young, smart players who HE could actually gameplan with... I am sure hes bored of the vanilla D as much as we are.. but it is what it is... u play with what you got... U cant go all in with 2 - 7 offsuit... if u do, more times than not, ur gonna get beat...
    u need the Aces to do it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Bill Belichick: No longer creative :      Yeah...BB has lost it...fire him!!!      Come on, guys!! Its' one bad game. If you're looking for a silver lining...as bad as the Pats' played, they lost a one-possession...one TD, regular season game. This, despite playing without arguably their best defender (Jerod Mayo), the heart of their offense (Wes Welker), and with a rusty Tom Brady.       Chill already!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Yep! Agreed Tex Pat.

We can either fire Kraft, BB and Brady too!!!

or...perhaps fire some of the fans on this site !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I thought the defense played well out there but the offense hung them out to dry; not converting in the red zone, penalties and otherwise passing way too much.  The defense can attack all day as long as the offense controls the time of possesion, converts on third downs and then scores touchdowns in the red zone.

Back in the day this "bend don't break" philosophy someone mentioned was countered by a ball control offense, not some high powered passing attack and the defense was good at one stat in particular; points allowed... or the only stat that matters.

Every year the PAT's get ravaged by other teams; taking coaches, GM's, players Bill puts on the practice squad in the hopes of cultivating them into good players.  Over time this takes it toll, Bill doesnt even have time to turn an assistant into a finished product before they're promoted the head coach of some other team prematurely, which usually sets them up to fail.  It's being a victim of success...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

[QUOTE]No pressure on the QB the entire second half.  When you don't have a 2007 offense - you better have a creative, opportunistic defense. Haven't seen that type of defense in YEARS. 
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Don't expect it anytime soon with all this young talent. The DL can scheme, but the LBs and Dbs are too new to the NFL/team to do much in being creative.

The great opportunity here is having all these players like Guyton step up and once Mayo returns the overall defense will be better off. Obviously this is not an ideal situation and we wait with bated breath to see how things turn out v Atlanta...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoochiemgg. Show hoochiemgg's posts

The D gave up 17 points to the Bills and 16 to the Jets.....not terrible. Other than the two game ending drives against the Bills, the offense has been, well, offensive. Did anyone assume that Brady would just dive back in after a year off and major knee surgury and be at the top of his game? He needs time to get his timing back. He had two receivers and a running back and a tight end that he NEVER played with before. If the Pat's need to shore up anything it's the special teams play. Brady will be fine and the D will improve. It may not happen for a couple weeks but it will happen and the Pats will be playoff bound. Let's not forget that Indy and Pit didn't look that great either. Lastly, BB didn't go from a mad scientist to a defensive knucklehead in two games. And that was Brady's first regular season loss in a very long time.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If you look at the stats the Defense held opposing offenses to the last 2 weeks, overall, I think you got to say the defense did a fair job. the problem is 2 fold; First, the defense is allowing opposing offenses to make the big plays on 3rd down and continue marching down the field. Second, we saw a Jets defense that moved around a lot, disguised blitzes, etc...and I'm sure we all want some of that. The creativity question is an interesting one because I for one think the Pats Defense (although relatively effective the last 2 weeks), telegraphs what they will do. 

I think the bigger problem is on offense really. Brady had significant opportunity to beat the Jets and he could not connect with his receivers or the receivers dropped passes. If the offense gets the wrinkles ironed out, we should be OK. I still think we can put more points on the board at the end of the day, and the Defense will be in a better position because they will not be playing from behind. Honestly, I would like to see 2 defenses; 1 the bend don't break when we have the lead, and the attacking style when things are even or we are down. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Belichick: No longer creative :   Scary enough to win, it's not the yards but the points. I can't remember the last time a team won a game, by scoring less points than their opponent. Yards are a stat, score matters, if you can't get that crucial stop, that turns a touchdown drive into a punt, you lose. BB's defenses don't make those stops anymore and haven't for several years. Please don't be blinded by the bling on the fingers.
    Posted by jedinate[/QUOTE]

But yet, how many TD's have the Pats D given up this year?

Please don't be blinded by your hatred.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

are the pats really playoff bound?
    (like last year) it looks like 11-5 might not guarantee a playoff spot this year, since ravens, steelers and jets could win a lot of games.

i'm not being pessimistic, it's just that the schedule is tough and the next games are really difficult.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Where are the babies from this thread complaining about the D?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Come on MODS, close this discussion too.....You are slipping with your NEW POWERS!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Bill Belichick: No longer creative:
    [QUOTE]Bellichick used the "bend don't break" defense for years - and it worked because the Pats built a prolific offense.  in 2007, the Pats offense was so dangerous that they would put pressure on other teams to score points and then the bend don't break would eventually pay off. But in 2008 the Patriots lost Brady.  And Bellichick played the same old stupid bend don't break defense.  Now with Brady obviously weeks away and the offense looking incredibly average - Bellichick isstill playing the same old bend don't break BS defense. He has allowed two QBs sit back and have a cup of coffee while facing soft zones. Come on Bill?  What happened to the creative defensive schemes and blitz packages?  Remember those?  The ones you used to actually help your defense dictate part of the game?  Remember those defenses that won your first superbowl?  Could we mix in just a smidgen of that intensity and pressure?  Or ust we play passively? This passive bend don't break strategy is killing the team.  They play with ZERO emotion as they put 7 in coverage and desperately attempt to cover for 5 - 7 seconds while Sanchez has a cup of coffee before hitting a WR that has NO DEFENDER WITHIN 5 YARDS. Similarly, where is the offensive creativity Bill?  How many 1 yard passes are we going to throw next week?  Will it be every week and will it be every down?  Brady threw 47 times today and about 41 of those passes were 3 yard patterns.  Not very creative. And one last hint, Bill.  You may want to include Randy Moss in teh gameplan next week.  He's pretty good.  If you can - get creative and maybe draw up a NEW play OR TWO that get Moss the ball.   
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

LOL!! Joe six pack lectures BB on football. Too funny!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fantasyfootball. Show fantasyfootball's posts

Except for 2007, every Pats team under BB has gotten better as the season has progressed.

The defense is coming together and looks like it could be top 5 by seasons end. There is more talent in the secondary since the 2003 season when they won their 2nd S-Bowl.

The offense is starting to realize it cannot be pass happy like 2007. They did get conservative in the last 2 drives, but that was because they made a HUGE mistake in the 3rd quarter when they dropped back to pass on 1st down inside their 20 (Brady fumble for TD), which put the Ravens back in the game.

Get Jarvis Green-Ellis in there. He's going to be an important contributor with his physical running style late in the year.

Sections
Shortcuts