Bill Belichick throwing down the hammer on draft day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Bill Belichick throwing down the hammer on draft day

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Lets revisit this.....

It turns out New England coach Bill Belichick advised Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff against trading up to get receiver Julio Jones in the April draft.

That revelation was made in the book “War Room’’ by Michael Holley. Dimitroff spent years working under Belichick in New England’s front office. When pondering the trade, Dimitroff called his mentor and was told the cost of trading up for Jones was too great.

The cost of moving from No. 27 to No. 6 was sending that No. 27 pick, along with second- and fourth-round choices this year and first and fourth-round picks in 2012 to Cleveland. Belichick told Dimitroff to sit still and take Jonathan Baldwin at No. 27. As it turned out Baldwin went to the Chiefs at No. 26.

We can all sit here and debate who had the right move here, the Falcons or BB, but I can tell you that Julio Jones has been a much better player then Jonathan Baldwin.  Not by a little but by a lot!!  So yeh, I think you really have to question BB's decision making when it comes to the draft.

So let me see Tom Dimitroff a GM of another team asks BB on draft day or just before draft day his opinion on whether Julio Jones was worth trading 5 draft choices for 1? I'm not saying this sounds crazy but what team is going to ask BB his opinions on players just before a draft especially one who already knows BB could easily run the CIA, he's been too War College they don't teach you how to help your potential opponents at WC. I like you as a poster so don't take this the wrong way,I doubt they ever had the conversation.

I believe this has been well documented.  I also assume that yes, BB does work with others.  Last I checked BB is doing a few things for/with the Bucs.  I believe BB is well respected by many in the NFL and that he does have some close relationships with other teams.  This doesn't surprise me at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

The Harmon situation if feasible. I sincerely doubt any of their scouts had a late-round grade on Jamie Collins. Seems absurd to think. 

All that said, I think both players will fit right in here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

I have no faith in any of the picks we have made in the secondary, none!! All those picks the last few years and we have Merriweather and McCourty two free safeties and first round picks?!?!!??!?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

good info TFB, but I didnt think this was news? Didnt every scouting service say the same regarding Harmon?

But what I don't like, assuming I read it correctly, is it was the Patriots Scouts that were over ruled.  Again, if you have your own scouting department why are you not using the info they are providing?  I would imagine the scouting department and BB would all be on the same page with what they are looking for, no?  Don't you think it's beyond time to either let the Scouts do their job and use their info to pick players or maybe time to replace the scouting department if BB doesn't agree with them? 

So it is normal procedure in the NFL for all GMs simply to do what their scouts tell them to do?  Why don't the scouts run the draft rooms?  Who is the last scout who became a head coach in the NFL and actually had to try to win games?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

For several years BB has been drafting the Duron Harmon prototype.  BB first wants guys who are well trained so that they can play the pro game the first season that they are drafted, and second he wants guys who throw down the hammer on the field for him.  Harmon was trained by Devin McCourty's old coach and McCourty is a highly respected NFL free safety.  Harmon hits like a truck. 

The Patriots draft room has been above average in their drafting lately.  Gronk and Hernandez really pushed the Patriots' slugging percentage way high.  Why, in retrospect, didn't anybody else draft either Gronk or Hernandez?  Vollmer is a starting tackle.  McCourty was a good call.  Logan Mankins was fine for a #32 pick.  Can't say enough about Big Vince. 

Then there's BB's penchant for trading away first round picks to get more draft choices, and for trading out of the current year and into next year.  Scouts can't make those calls.  BB has to weigh the other club's offer versus the best player available.  In this case BB had a trade offer on the table and went for Duron Harmon anyway.  Now that's throwing down the hammer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I've never heard of Tony Pauline so he must be trying to make a name for himself by using the the Tomase method.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

as someone once said..."if you're going to cook the dinner, you ought to be able to pick the groceries." BB has always had cart blanche and always will. i'll live with tavon wilson and harmon as long as he keeps this team in the hunt every year. which he does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Gez, I hope this works out well.  Why have scouts if you aren't going to listen to them??? 

Amen, brother!! If true, this is ridiculous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Duron Harmon was the 16th ranked SS on CBSSports.com, he was drafted at the 91rst spot in the draft what makes this pick so ridiculous? How many SS were taken in this draft? Who knows how the Patriots and Bill Belichick had their board stacked. I wasn't in the room. However i will say that BB does have a budding relationship with the Tampa Bay Bucs HC. We lose an UDFA to an injury and Schiano recomends Shavers Akeem not Gillette's....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Although this appears to be somewhat controversial and newsworthy, there is nothing at all surprising to me here.   As GM Belichick has ultimate authority in football decisions. Scouts are nothing more than knowledgeable advisors to the GM. He takes the info that they provide and makes his decision.  This is no different than in any other significant business enterprise.  GM has the authority and the responsibility.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

good info TFB, but I didnt think this was news? Didnt every scouting service say the same regarding Harmon?

But what I don't like, assuming I read it correctly, is it was the Patriots Scouts that were over ruled.  Again, if you have your own scouting department why are you not using the info they are providing?  I would imagine the scouting department and BB would all be on the same page with what they are looking for, no?  Don't you think it's beyond time to either let the Scouts do their job and use their info to pick players or maybe time to replace the scouting department if BB doesn't agree with them? 

Well, think about it. On the one hand you dont want YES MEN and so on the other there will at times be disagreements and you have to make the final decision. So this sort of thing is inevitable now and again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For several years BB has been drafting the Duron Harmon prototype.  

Ha! I think this is what scares people!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He's a different kind of Drafter. You know what our Superbowl Winning Defenses were? They were smart, always thinking and working in the Film Room. Thats why our Draft Thread guys probably wont get many predictions right. Love the Thread, though.
    BB's MO is to find smart FOOTBALL Players, who can analyze, and diagnose a play faster before it is snapped. That takes the brain. Not the 40 yard dash, 3 cone drill, or even large hands.
    What good is it if you run 4.2, but your on the other side of the Field. If you can anticipate the play faster than it is being executed, Defense will always win. You dont guess when you anticipate, you study.
    Also think BB is into more Fundementals, good tackling, hard work, and Team play.
    Its been a work in progress since our Older Guys have left, thus missing on Picks, and failures. But, he is still working on this formula that brought us 3 Superbowls.
    Between a Scout and a man that has 40+ years in the Sport, that has won Superbowls, who would you trust?

Even the Old Giants D that he Coached were smart players.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE

We can all sit here and debate who had the right move here, the Falcons or BB, but I can tell you that Julio Jones has been a much better player then Jonathan Baldwin.  Not by a little but by a lot!!  So yeh, I think you really have to question BB's decision making when it comes to the draft.

[/QUOTE]

First of all Atlanta paid too much to move up and grab Jones, yes he played better than Baldwin but they could have stayed where they were at and picked Torrey Smith and they wouldn't have missed a beat. You can't just assume they would have taken Baldwin.  

People knock Belichick for not being able to pick WR's, the fact is wide receivers wash out in the NFL at a higher rate than just about any other position.  Atlanta didn't win the Super Bowl because they drafted Julio Jones, and isn't that why Belichick is catching grief?  I might take note of the fact a respected GM from another team called BB and asked for his advice.

I can't wait for Dobson, Boyce and TJ Moe to hit the field this year so we can put all this Belichick can't draft nonsense.  The draft is a gamble, picking high only increases your shot of winning but it's still a roll of the dice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

And btw Belichick took Jamie Collins because he read Wozzy's Draft Guide on BDC and he was the highest rated outside linebacker available.

Last day pick?  That's what takes this piece of garbage "reporting" from probable to complete fiction.  This kid wasn't going to last past the 2nd or 3rd round at the latest...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Wow - so PFT or whoever has an inside line on the inner workings of the Pat's. Seems like ESPN, the Globe, and every other news outlet that covers the Pat's should fire all their reporters who have never gotten an inside line onto the Pat's!!!

My take - 

This stuff sounds like what my sisters exes best friends neighbor who knows the guy who parks cars at Gillette overheard. If there is any validity, it is probably sourced from a single scout who didn't get a promotion.

Scouts in general all have their 'Binkies' and can be frustrated when a team goes in a different direction. And they are one set of voices on player evaluation.

The other report is that BB turned down a trade for pick 91 so he obviously like the Pick more than whatever he was offered. Who knows, when doing a trade it is customary to ask what player they are going to draft - maybe the team was going to draft Harmon! Wouldn't that be a hoot!

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Wow - so PFT or whoever has an inside line on the inner workings of the Pat's. Seems like ESPN, the Globe, and every other news outlet that covers the Pat's should fire all their reporters who have never gotten an inside line onto the Pat's!!!

My take - 

This stuff sounds like what my sisters exes best friends neighbor who knows the guy who parks cars at Gillette overheard. If there is any validity, it is probably sourced from a single scout who didn't get a promotion.

Yup, just like I said, a Tomase job!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to poopsteo's comment:

I have no faith in any of the picks we have made in the secondary, none!! All those picks the last few years and we have Merriweather and McCourty two free safeties and first round picks?!?!!??!?

It's 2013. Get over the 2007 draft pick in the 1st rd. My god.

McCourty has been very good overall.  Not his fault the back end was a mess in 2011, but he is now emerging as a top notch FS in the AFC, after an All Pro rookie year.  Not Pro Bowl, All Pro.

Wake up, kid.

I get poopsteo's point.  BB has had 5 years (this will be his 6th year) to rework the defense and that has not gone well the last 5 years.  The defense, for a defense guru, has been horrible.  So when info like this comes up you gotta wonder what is going on.

Sections
Shortcuts