Bill Belichick's Sensitive Side

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Bill Belichick's Sensitive Side

I've always thought Belichick gets something of a bum rap in the press for being a cold, heartless, and uncaring man.  But I think he truly cares for his players and is generally well liked by them.  This quote from his press conference today seems truly heartfelt and sheds a different light on Belichick's personality than what is generally assumed in the press and by many fans.  

The quote is Belichick's answer in response to a question about having to cut players:

It's the hardest part of the job. It's the hardest part of the job to take players that have played for you, won for you and players that have been with us since the spring, the whole offseason, done everything we asked them to do, worked hard, sweated, been banged up, kept going out there, kept playing, kept trying to do everything they could to make the team, to do what we asked them to do, to do it in a team-first attitude and fashion and to tell those players that they can't be a part of the team is very difficult. On the other hand, we all know when we get into this business that that's the way it's going to be. Jerry Glanville: ‘Not For Long.' A lot of coaches, including myself, have been through that. A lot of players have been through that. It's a production business. There's not too many of us who have been in this game for very long that haven't experienced that in some form or fashion. It's part of the business. It's not a great, real happy day as a head coach when you have to give that news to any players really, certainly it's those guys, but it's any players. You could exchange the names but you're still affecting somebody's life and somebody's career and basically somebody who has worked hard and given all that they can to try to earn a spot on your team. It's disappointing for them and it's not fun to deliver that news. But we all knew a long time ago that was… we all knew when cut down day was a long time ago so it's not anything unexpected but it still makes it hard. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Bill Belichick's Sensitive Side

On the flip side I remember when Pete Carroll (Mr. Nice and smiley guy) was asked how difficult it was for him on cut down day while he was here, he said it was easy..no problem at all...just glad to get the team constructed and get going. God I hated that guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Bill Belichick's Sensitive Side

In response to mthurl's comment:

On the flip side I remember when Pete Carroll (Mr. Nice and smiley guy) was asked how difficult it was for him on cut down day while he was here, he said it was easy..no problem at all...just glad to get the team constructed and get going. God I hated that guy.

bb it seeems from people who know him, is a very funny, sensitive and a softie inside, which he only chooses to share with people he knows well. others be forewarned, dont let it fool you, becasue he can be ruthless if he needs to (so dont read him as weak).

Sections
Shortcuts