Bill Cowher Exposes SpyGate Witch Hunt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Bill Cowher Exposes SpyGate Witch Hunt

Well, this diffuses the claim that NE had advantages over other teams. Read it and weep, trolls:

12/3/2010 98.5 Sports Radio Interview, Boston, MA

Guest: Bill Cowher, longtime NFL head coach and 2005 SB Champion Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Tony Massarotti:  Bill, as you can imagine, there was a great deal of interest here in the Josh McDaniels/Steve Scarnecchia story out in Denver. And, I certainly don’t need to refresh your memory on the link between the two organizations with Josh McDaniels. I know you have been asked about this…

But, for the benefit of our listeners here, is there any way in your mind that Josh McDaniels was not aware of what Steve Scarnecchia was doing?

Bill Cowher:  Well, I don’t know, and in my opinion, and I ‘ll say this, and I said this last Suunday:   I don’t know if any employee in any National Football League building, that doesn’t answer to some superior. 

Even the head coach answers to the owner.  And so, you are looking at a video guy, he was answering to somebody.  I have a hard time believing he did that independently

That being said, it’s the responsibility of the organization and I think you have to be accountable for actions that are done within an organization.

The New England Patriots, they were given a very severe penalty when they were caught with that.  I don’t see there being..I understand there is a difference…But again, to me, draft picks should have been taken away from the Denver Broncos.

That is the ultimate. You take away a draft pick and you’re saying it’s a very serious thing. Money?

Listen.  These companies, these organizations, some of them are worth almost a billion dollars.  So, you can fine them and that’s going to get lost somewhere in it, and I am not trying to diminish the effect of a fine, but you take away draft picks?  And now you are talking about going to the very core of something unethical. And to me, there was not enough punishment done.

I don’t who the video guy was answering to, but he was answering to someone. I have a hard time believing it was done independently.

Michael Felger:  While we’re on the topic, you lost some big games to the Patriots in that era.   Do you feel that taping was a part of that story?

Bill Cowher:  Ohhh! Heck no! I mean honestly, I, I, I, the taping that was involved in that story was the taping of Tom Brady making some pretty accurate throws.  And that’s what beat us.  That’s the only taping that I remember.

You know what? Listen:  All that stuff at this point, a lot of it is overblown. Did they know our signals of our Monday night game when we came up there?  Ya know? So what?  Ok, sometimes I felt like we knew some plays and certain formations.  The bottom line is you gotta execute. The bottom line is they completed passes. They beat 1 on 1 situations and we weren’t able to defend them.

So, you know what? The game is still played between the lines, the game is still played by men, it comes down to executing and certainly a little anticipation helps and if you some things pre-snap that will help you execute, so be it.   Right now, all these things are moot points.  Everybody has communications.  Defense has it. Offense has it.  All this signal calling and stealing of years past is just that:  In the past.

Michael Felger:  This is not, just cause it popped in my head, coach….Do you remember the AFC Championship game at your place when you have a 4th and 1?  And BB called a timeout and called Ted Johnson over? And they had a little conversation and Johnson stopped , I guess it was Bettis? Short of the first down.  Do you remember that play?

Bill Cowher:    Yeah. Oh yeah. Yeah. And you know what? We called a timeout. How does he know what we are going to call in the huddle?

I mean, listen: They made the stop.  We didn’t get em blocked. And ya know, and so, in hindsight, we should have ran to the other side (laughs all around). Listen: Those aren’t the ones.    Those aren’t the signals. I don’t worry about that.

That’s not…Our offensive plays had been talked about and we talk through a headphone, and there is a formation we got involved with, we were going to run our play.  And if New England gets into a formation, you know what they are going to run. Knowing what they are going to run is one thing, but having to stop it is another.  The teams that can execute, even when the other team knows what you are doing, those are the teams that win championships. We weren’t good enough that day.

Tony Massarotti: Bill, this has obviously been a sensitive and widely dissected topic here now, for over 3 or 4 years……

It’s not as intense as it was then, but the McDaniels thing now has brought it back to the surface. It has been a point of discussion here, that, and the question was:  

Does the Josh McDaniels thing ultimately lead back to the Patriots because of the fact he was a Belichick protégé?  Throughout the rest of the league, do other people look at it that way? When this happened, did other people say, “well, what do you expect, he learned  under Belichick and they got busted for it and now he’s doing it in Denver”….?

Bill Cowher:  You know, let me just say this:  To answer your question, no, I don’t think so. I just know as a head coach, you are always looking for a competitive edge. We had people out there trying to look at signals. We had guys go to games. They would tape the signal caller and also write it down. They would take it back and match up the signals with the game film and certain defenses with certain plays that were being called, particularly the defenses being called, to see if we could come up with some kind of an alert for a signal.  So, what they did with videotaping the signal caller, people do it with the people in the stands!! 

These people sitting there in the stands, looking at the signal, writing it down and matching up the 1st and 10 signal. Ok? Then you go back again and the 2nd and 10 and here’s the signal. You do that for a whole game.

You then go back and match up the defenses with the signal.  And you can come up with what the signal was.

So, you don;’t need a video tape with what they were talking about doing. And people were doing it. WE were doing that.  Everybody does that. You’re TRYING to gain a  competitive edge. There is nothing wrong with that.

That’s why baseball players go through the mirage of signals. They’ve got all these different codes. That’s part of the competitive spirit of the game. I think it’s totally overblown.  I think if  you get caught (signals compromised), then do what we did and go to wristbands, you are worried about it.  We started putting defenses on wristbands. Then you find a way to not get caught (signals compromised).  When your good at something and people try steal from ya, I think it’s flattering.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Re: Bill Cowher Exposes SpyGate Witch Hunt

The Dynasty is legitimate again. Bill Cowher said it was. Yeah!!!!

For a few years, I was feeling very inferior and upset that America was dissing me and my love for the laundry called Patriots.   How dare anyone take away my joy with such a horrible story.

Thank Bill Cowher for making me fell entitled and arrogant again.  Take notice Roger!!  We are back!!!!!  Actually..

We never left!!!!

49-10 New England over New York

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Cowher Exposes SpyGate Witch Hunt:
    People hate the Pats because they win and have won for a long time.  Evil is correct, others won't listen to reason, they only spew hate cause they hate the Pats success.  It's good for Pats fans really.  If the Pats were the Bills, nobody would have cared.  Let's be happy regardless, the Pats are amazingly good with sustaining their success.  I hope BB does whatever necessary to keep winning.
    Posted by Duc749Rider

Me too!!  I hope BB boo-bee traps the opponents locker room until they release their tapes to us so we can show the world everyone does it!!  I hate everyone who hates the Patriots.  They are so jealous of us. We are the best people in the world!!

We are Boston. We own you.  Not even Spygate can slow BB and Tom down.

49-10 Pats over the Jests!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

best advice guys, dont worry or care about what fans around the country respect or dont respect. Anyone with a brain can see this was no big deal at all and that we got punished for a technicality, but you what? that doesnt sell. No one wants to hear or believe that outside of NE.

It is unbelievable how stupid the haters are. I used to argue for hours with them, but its worthless and so are they.

If anyone would be mad about it if it was really that bad of a cheating method, it would be bill cowher who lost SB runs because of the Patriots. And he says it was nothing and explained it exactly for what it is and anyone who reads that and says the Patriots didnt work for their championships is just mentally challenged.

If u care enough, save this transcript and post it anytime someone mentions we cheated. There is a 99.99% chance the haters will conveniently ignore it.

Which is why we shouldnt care what they think and just keep enjoying our Golden Era.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

best advice guys, dont worry or care about what fans around the country respect or dont respect. Anyone with a brain can see this was no big deal at all and that we got punished for a technicality, but you what? that doesnt sell. No one wants to hear or believe that outside of NE. It is unbelievable how stupid the haters are. I used to argue for hours with them, but its worthless and so are they. If anyone would be mad about it if it was really that bad of a cheating method, it would be bill cowher who lost SB runs because of the Patriots. And he says it was nothing and explained it exactly for what it is and anyone who reads that and says the Patriots didnt work for their championships is just mentally challenged. If u care enough, save this transcript and post it anytime someone mentions we cheated. There is a 99.99% chance the haters will conveniently ignore it. Which is why we shouldnt care what they think and just keep enjoying our Golden Era.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

We rule!!!!!  I don't even listen to the haters when they even say something nice.. because really they are just setting you up to hate on you!  You can never let your guard down on all the haters in America.  This is Boston. No one can touch us ever!!!

Go Pats!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He is just stating the FACT that the trolls here don't want to admit. 

I rarely weigh in on this, or at least not in a couple years, but I will say what I said then ...  everyone on my team in highschool, not even the pros, was told to watch for signals. The assistant coaches would jot things down if they thought it could eventually tip them off.

Everyone in the pros does/did it. They all do/did it with video. NE just got caught and someone sent the tape out of NY in an obvious attempt to a.) force Goodell's hand, and b.) besmirch the Patriots by making it seem like they were the only one. 

Other than Jimmy Johnson, who was clear about it from the get go, others like Bill Cowher can go s@ck a f@ck. Where was this statement three seasons ago when NE was getting dragged through the gutter?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

He is just stating the FACT that the trolls here don't want to admit.  I rarely weigh in on this, or at least not in a couple years, but I will say what I said then ...  everyone on my team in highschool, not even the pros, was told to watch for signals. The assistant coaches would jot things down if they thought it could eventually tip them off. Everyone in the pros does/did it. They all do/did it with video. NE just got caught and someone sent the tape out of NY in an obvious attempt to a.) force Goodell's hand, and b.) besmirch the Patriots by making it seem like they were the only one.  Other than Jimmy Johnson, who was clear about it from the get go, others like Bill Cowher can go s@ck a f@ck. Where was this statement three seasons ago when NE was getting dragged through the gutter?
    Posted by zbellino

You know where he was???  Bedding up with the Haters!!!  Its pretty much known the rest of the country is so jealous of us New Englanders, they wanted to take us down.  They won back then..

But not now!!!!   Bill Cowher proves it all.  Our dynasty is the best ever. He even said it.  Now we can into other city papers and be trolls armed with this transcript!!

Take that America.  We  are BACK!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dunnieboy. Show Dunnieboy's posts

doesn't really matter the Pats 3 SB wins under Bellicheat will go down in history as

SB XXXVI *
    SB XXXVIII *
    SB XXXIX *

* Patriots were found guilty of cheating via illegal use of video equipment. (AKA Spygate)

Its still better than no suber bowls ... i guess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

doesn't really matter the Pats 3 SB wins under Bellicheat will go down in history as SB XXXVI * SB XXXVIII * SB XXXIX * * Patriots were found guilty of cheating via illegal use of video equipment. (AKA Spygate) Its still better than no suber bowls ... i guess.
    Posted by Dunnieboy

This is the CLASSIC case of a fan outside of New England who actually BELIEVES the filming of coaches sideline signals ACTUALLY resulted in the Pats winning the 3 SBs.  There was nothing wrong with the "filming", it was the location of the camera.  As Cowher said, it is done EVERYWHERE and in many ways.  Besides, he basically totally debunked the fact stealing signals really works.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

doesn't really matter the Pats 3 SB wins under Bellicheat will go down in history as SB XXXVI * SB XXXVIII * SB XXXIX * * Patriots were found guilty of cheating via illegal use of video equipment. (AKA Spygate) Its still better than no suber bowls ... i guess.
    Posted by Dunnieboy

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Cowher Exposes SpyGate Witch Hunt : This is the CLASSIC case of a fan outside of New England who actually BELIEVES the filming of coaches sideline signals ACTUALLY resulted in the Pats winning the 3 SBs.  There was nothing wrong with the "filming", it was the location of the camera.  As Cowher said, it is done EVERYWHERE and in many ways.  Besides, he basically totally debunked the fact stealing signals really works.
    Posted by agcsbill

He is likely one of those, I am not sure what the right word is here, "fools" I guess, who simply repeat what ESPN reports without any investigation or thought. He is one of those people who need things extremely dumbed down in order to be able to digest it. He is "Click it or ticket." The really bad part of this is when the information is presented incorrectly to begin with. 

He is one of those that believe the so-called "Brady rule" came into existence after Brady was injured. It would take a reasonable person with a modicum of intelligence and even less effort to find out that the rule was changed after Carson Palmer was injured and was in place for the 2006 season. The media didn't name it something easy to remember like, oh, the "Palmer rule" or something. But they did call it that when Brady got injured so ignorant and incapable people think that is when it came into existence. 

It is because of people with this limited mindset that we have to protect ourselves from computer virii, receive spam and why there are so many deposed Nigerian princes. The virus is useless if it isn't spread. Spam wouldn't be sent if people didn't respond and the Nigerian princes wouldn't keep trying to get your money if people like this didn't willingly give it to them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Bill Cowher sort of mentioned this when Spygate came out 3 years ago.  Jimmy Johnson said he did the same thing back in the day.  Nobody wants to hear it.  Because the Pats won 3 Super Bowls, jealous fans will continue to insist that videotaping signals was invented by Bill Belichick.  They'll also continue to insist that videotaping signals is why they won 3 Super Bowls.  If it was that effective, you'd think they win every year.  And what have they done since being punished for it?  11-5 with a backup QB who hadn't played since high school.  Division title in 2009 and now 9-2 and tied for the best record in football with a young and rebuilding defense.  Yeah, videotaping signals really did it for them!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dunnieboy. Show Dunnieboy's posts

Brady Rule ... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-10-06-nfl-replay_N.htm

Not only has that rule led to the decline of the NFL as we know it. It absolutely led to the rediculous panzy league that we are watching today.

Ask the Steelers (who have buiilt their team around sound defense) if they appreciate not being able to hit receivers or quarterbacks ?

The league is about money ... and the NFL thinks that Quarterbacks like Brady are the meal ticket. I bet that witin five years we will be watching something akin to a mix of Soccer/Flag Football ...

Also ... if you look at the number of Roughing the Passer calls made in a games that involved Manning or Brady vs the rest of the league it would become obvious what is happening here.

Its too bad too because i think Brady is one of the best QBs to play the game ... its too bad he is playing two hand touch instead of tackle football.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Bill Cowher sort of mentioned this when Spygate came out 3 years ago.  Jimmy Johnson said he did the same thing back in the day.  Nobody wants to hear it.  Because the Pats won 3 Super Bowls, jealous fans will continue to insist that videotaping signals was invented by Bill Belichick.  They'll also continue to insist that videotaping signals is why they won 3 Super Bowls.  If it was that effective, you'd think they win every year.  And what have they done since being punished for it?  11-5 with a backup QB who hadn't played since high school.  Division title in 2009 and now 9-2 and tied for the best record in football with a young and rebuilding defense.  Yeah, videotaping signals really did it for them!
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats

As Enoch mentions ...   reality for these folks does not set in and there is no thought as to what has to happen in a game for this "cheating" to actually be successful.  As you mention, if it worked so well, the Pats would have won more SBs or in the least been in more of them to date in BBs era.  You may recall BB even said the "stealing signals" matter really was just something he dabbled in as possibly providing an advantage but did not focus on that matter at all.  The game is all about execution, as Cowher states, even when you know what the other team is doing.  Of course, these types of fans do not see this and fail to grasp how teams changes plays, signals etc  game to game season to season.  Film of any team this year is basically useless the next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Brady Rule ... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-10-06-nfl-replay_N.htm Not only has that rule led to the decline of the NFL as we know it. It absolutely led to the rediculous panzy league that we are watching today. Ask the Steelers (who have buiilt their team around sound defense) if they appreciate not being able to hit receivers or quarterbacks ? The league is about money ... and the NFL thinks that Quarterbacks like Brady are the meal ticket. I bet that witin five years we will be watching something akin to a mix of Soccer/Flag Football ... Also ... if you look at the number of Roughing the Passer calls made in a games that involved Manning or Brady vs the rest of the league it would become obvious what is happening here. Its too bad too because i think Brady is one of the best QBs to play the game ... its too bad he is playing two hand touch instead of tackle football.
    Posted by Dunnieboy

the rule was changed in 2006:
    http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/12/2/1850935/terrell-suggs-uses-carson-palmers-knee-injury-as-example-for-league

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dunnieboy. Show Dunnieboy's posts

I agree .. execution on offense if the thing that matters in this era of Flag Football.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

With each passing day and the draconian rulings and the micromanagement of the league the mountain of spygate gets smaller and smaller as Goodell's idiocy gets larger and larger. Soon it will be know as the overzealous commissioner establishing himself as the head of the league, and squashing the most hated rival of his beloved Jest....his former employer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

With each passing day and the draconian rulings and the micromanagement of the league the mountain of spygate gets smaller and smaller as Goodell's idiocy gets larger and larger. Soon it will be know as the overzealous commissioner establishing himself as the head of the league, and squashing the most hated rival of his beloved Jest....his former employer.
    Posted by harleyroadking1

Yes, we Pats fans may have a feeling some of Goodell's cr*p is directed at the Pats, "spygate", but, he is doing this to everyone so just what in the he*l is his agenda and what is driving it?

For years and years up until his entry as the commissioner all was going great for the game.  The players KNOW what they signed up for and knew it is a HARD hitting game.  In the old days you rarely saw a flag when a defender blew up a receiver or QB.  Now, with today's rules, can you blame a player for "asking" for a flag after a late or potential helmet hit?  Fans point to the "kid gloves" treatment Manning and Brady are getting, well, so are all QBs, they just focus on these two.  If you ask these two QBs, both will say they expect to get hit and know they can get hit hard, but, when the rules are the way they are, they expect flags when the hits, in their opinion, call for a flag.  Do you blame them?  He*l will freeze over when a QB goes to the referee after a defender, trying to knock down a pass, grazes their helmet with a hand/arm and gets a flag for it with the QB saying.. " He was just trying to knock down my pass, he had no intention to touch my helmet, pick it up!".  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Excellent interview with Cowher. It's absolutely laughable the jealousy that goes on around the country towards winners! We still had to execute! When you think of everything that goes on during a game, it's ridiculous to think that video taping is going to be the deciding factor in us winning 3 Super Bowls.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I got the impression that Mazz was trying to steer Cower to trash Belichick. I don't think Cower was playing that game.  Maybe I read it different.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think Mazz was just asking provocative questions. He doesn't know what Cowher is going to say, and odds are Cowher would say nothing important. 

The funny thing is that no one mentions this story on ESPN, SI, etcetera. If Cowher had thrown BB under the bus and not stated the fact that everyone tapes signals, or stated that he felt like there was foul play that influenced his losses, then you can be sure that ESPN and SI would pick it up and run it front page so the mouth-breathing m0rons who want a ready excuse for why their team has played like a gang of cripples for fifty years can lap it up like milk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

I think Mazz was just asking provocative questions. He doesn't know what Cowher is going to say, and odds are Cowher would say nothing important.  The funny thing is that no one mentions this story on ESPN, SI, etcetera. If Cowher had thrown BB under the bus and not stated the fact that everyone tapes signals, or stated that he felt like there was foul play that influenced his losses, then you can be sure that ESPN and SI would pick it up and run it front page so the mouth-breathing m0rons who want a ready excuse for why their team has played like a gang of cripples for fifty years can lap it up like milk.
    Posted by zbellino

SO TRUE, You can bet your life that ESPN would have had sportscenter special
     reliving the whole ordeal if Cowher said anything involving spygate helping the Pats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Brady Rule ... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-10-06-nfl-replay_N.htm Not only has that rule led to the decline of the NFL as we know it. It absolutely led to the rediculous panzy league that we are watching today. Ask the Steelers (who have buiilt their team around sound defense) if they appreciate not being able to hit receivers or quarterbacks ? The league is about money ... and the NFL thinks that Quarterbacks like Brady are the meal ticket. I bet that witin five years we will be watching something akin to a mix of Soccer/Flag Football ... Also ... if you look at the number of Roughing the Passer calls made in a games that involved Manning or Brady vs the rest of the league it would become obvious what is happening here. Its too bad too because i think Brady is one of the best QBs to play the game ... its too bad he is playing two hand touch instead of tackle football.
    Posted by Dunnieboy

God I wish you'd just f off man, the Brady rule is a modification of the Carson Palmer rule, it makes it so a defensive player can not tackle the player from the blind side below the knee. The rule was modified after Brady's injury to include players which are blocked to the ground not being able to dive at the QB below the knee. It did nothing to take the roughness from the game the rule just states hit him wherever you want as hard as you want as long as it's above the knee and below the neck. I don't know how anyone can see that as not fair, are you an advocate for knee and neck injuries. Does it make the game better if a player following his career can't walk without a limp or possibly walk at all because he had his spinal cord severed in a helmet to helmet collision. Stop talking out of your butt man, I don't know you or what age you are YOU TROLL!! But put your favourite player, yourself or possibly your own child in the pocket on an NFL field with Harrison or Suggs or Ware coming off the edge 100 MPH all 250-300 pounds of them. Do you really want the person in question to get hit below the knee or above the neck, think about that and you'll find the logic in the rule. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

And this interview may bascially die here in NE and fall on the deaf ears of fans outside the region who fully BELIEVE the Pats are cheaters.  Cowher's statements will not change their minds!
    Posted by agcsbill

Hit the nail on the head right there.

The world was already full of Pats haters who were jealous of their successes before "spygate" ever happened. Anyone who examined the facts objectively could see that the whole thing was severely overblown and the loss of a first round pick completely unjustified.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldjcole. Show pauldjcole's posts

[
    Have you even been watching the Pats lately? Watch the Thanksgiving game against Detroit and the monster hits Brady was taking in the first half. Better yet why don't you let someone tackle you like that and see if you get up let alone keep playing. What a dope you are. Just another hater from around the country that can't handle the fact that the Pat's are one of the best franchises of all time. The same people hated on the 80's 49'ers , the 70's Steelers, the 60's Packers. They just don't like it when a team is very good for a long time. Boo hoo. You should be directing your anger towards what ever team you root for. You should be asking how come they don't run their team like the Pats! 

Sections
Shortcuts