Bill crafts the next defensive incarnation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrule55. Show patsrule55's posts

Bill crafts the next defensive incarnation

Scary to watch Bill craft the patriots defense this year.  Pulling the pieces together in a master stroke of seemingly unrelated components - a core group of outstanding 1-3 year guys, experienced veterans who will block the Sun out and crush the quarterback, swing, multi positional guys -  ESPN will be running a 2 hour special in January on the new defensive schemes the Patriots rolled out each game, and the records they set.  Nice part of this is to watch the J-E-S-T-S featured in the carnage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Bill crafts the next defensive incarnation

Yes, he is the master conjurer who conjured us one of the worst 3rd down pass defenses in history last year.

Maybe this year the spell will work better. A little I of Ras and a dash of haynseworth scrotum in the cauldron should do the trick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I'm anxious to see if it works out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

February would be a better time to run the ESPN special.....to continue the celebration...if you know what i mean.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Overhype much?  Our defensive line of Seymour-Wilfork-Warren a few years back was much better than Albert-Vince-Nobodies

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Bill crafts the next defensive incarnation:
    [QUOTE]Overhype much?  Our defensive line of Seymour-Wilfork-Warren a few years back was much better than Albert-Vince-Nobodies
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Usually, you're so positive. What gives?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Of course we're gonna win the Super Bowl.  I'm just acknowledging that we used to have a better defensive line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Agreed. But how about the various personel groupings BB can create. Think about having Haynesworth, Carter, Ellis, and Wright on passing downs (not all at the same time). They are going to bring some heat. I also don't think you'll see as much 3-4 bc it would be impossible to beat the Sey-Wilfork-Warren combo.

[QUOTE]Overhype much?  Our defensive line of Seymour-Wilfork-Warren a few years back was much better than Albert-Vince-Nobodies

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I haven't seen a defensive line with this much experience in awhile,maybe the NYG's of the Bill Parcell era,who was the D.C. on those teams?????????? Oh I almost forget the guys name was Bill Belichick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Of course we're gonna win the Super Bowl.  I'm just acknowledging that we used to have a better defensive line.

I feel ya! 19-0 and the Patriots beat teams on average by 30. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed. But how about the various personel groupings BB can create. Think about having Haynesworth, Carter, Ellis, and Wright on passing downs (not all at the same time). They are going to bring some heat. I also don't think you'll see as much 3-4 bc it would be impossible to beat the Sey-Wilfork-Warren combo. In Response to Re: Bill crafts the next defensive incarnation :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

We had much better backups then too.  Wright was on the team.  Jarvis Green was a great pass-rushing sub.  Colvin and Vrabel were much better OLBs than anyone we have now.  AD was a great blitzer at the time. 

Every pre-season people act like we're going to have some crazy exotic Rex Ryan blitzing D, then after every game the board whines about our passive read-and-react D.  But the Pats win almost every game so I will take what has been working. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think you're overrating a couple of those guys. Jarvis Green had a few incredibly games, but he wasn't even a JAG anywhere else. Colvin wasn't a special player after breaking his hip. Having a great core made the backups look great. Time will tell but this years D should be much improved and put a lot of pressure on QB's.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill crafts the next defensive incarnation : We had much better backups then too.  Wright was on the team.  Jarvis Green was a great pass-rushing sub.  Colvin and Vrabel were much better OLBs than anyone we have now.  AD was a great blitzer at the time.  Every pre-season people act like we're going to have some crazy exotic Rex Ryan blitzing D, then after every game the board whines about our passive read-and-react D.  But the Pats win almost every game so I will take what has been working. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

No, Green was great here up until his last year or 2.  Once Colvin recovered by the end of 2004 he was a great OLB.  I hope this year's team is better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, he is the master conjurer who conjured us one of the worst 3rd down pass defenses in history last year. Maybe this year the spell will work better. A little I of Ras and a dash of haynseworth scrotum in the cauldron should do the trick.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Interesting BDC wont let you say F A R T or P U K E but it will let u say scrotum

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They let you say dick and balls too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'm not so sure of that. It depends on what you get from Haynesworth, i.e., which Haynesworth we see. But I would say it's pretty close to a draw. Ellis, Haynesworth, Wilfork is a pretty awesome line as well.

I agree, though, that the OLBs are not as good as Vrabel, et al. But I also think that the ILB crew could turn out to be better overall in the long run. And a lot of the decision on how good these OLBs are will be determined by how young players developed between this year and last. If Nink and Cunningham look improved then they could be a very good pair.  

I would also add, that the corners here could be the best group they have put on the field skill-wise. Though it is close to a wash with Ty Law and Ty Poole. McCourty looked elite last season, and Bodden is great. 

I don't think this defense will be the best in the NFL, heck the old Pats defenses weren't the best in the NFL. But it will be a great defense and more than enough to make NE a Superbowl caliber club this season when we factor in how much better they are on the offensive side of the ball than those clubs were. 

The safety group depends on maturity. Chung looked like an all-star for a lot of last season. His development is going to be crucial, as will Mayo's and Spikes'. The front three is drastically improved this year, so those guys will be able to (realy have to) run around and make plays on the ball. There has been a lot of noise in the signal, so to speak, rating the back 6 players these last few years because Wilfork alone was a shadow of what he looked like when he was paired with Seymour. The back 6 have had to defend the field for long periods of time, they have had to sort through trash on the second level to get after ball carriers, and have had to shake interior lineman that slip the DEs. That should change this season because of the protection they'll get from having Ellis, Wilfork and Haynesworth as protection, and with a little maturation, the trio of Mayo, Spikes, and Chung could come to make their own great name in Patriot lore.  

Watch out. Because this team looks legit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

did someone say bill craft?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nathan-ndeira. Show nathan-ndeira's posts

Bill and the coaches created a more scheme diverse offence last year with TE's and they'll add to that Diversity with the running Backs this year. Now with all the new guys on the D-line BB will create mismatches for the opposing the O-line. He'll single out guys and attack teams on the weekest points of their lines. This pressure will slow strong offences down. Having such a Diverse D-line means He can rotate guys in and out, constantly having fresh bodies, He'll also be able to open up the playbook more, a lot of the guys they brought in have experience in both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts. In subpackages they'll keep the offence worrying about the D-line because they won't know who they'll be blocking, who to account for. The mismatches from the D-line will help the secondary a lot. 

So BB isn't going to switch to a base 4-3, he'll Keep the 3-4 as the base, but because of the versitlity he has on the D-line group, the rotations will be strong and fresh bodies will be in their slowing down the opposing O-line. Later in the games when the O-line gets tired, blitz the LB's and that will further add pressure on the Qb's.

It's Scheme smart Defence and BB knows how to play the game!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Disagree on the greatest line comment.  Washington and Traylor were the closest we got to what we have now, and when they were on the field together, it got pretty nasty out there.  Either way, we just don't have the people to support the 3-4, what with every other team in the league implementing it, so I like the shift to Load Beef And Charge 'Em defense.  The rest of our D (especially the Dbacks) are going to look much better this year with the addition of pressure.  And although last years D wasn't great on 3rd down, look at some of the other stats they put up.. not too shabby.  Just had that one issue to fix, and that was PRESSURE.  Now we should be able to bring it, and that will change both the Defense and the Offense for the better.  MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Ellis, Haynesworth, Wilfork on the line and the opposition will have to keep 2 tight ends home to block all that. Wonder what the other 3 players and the QB will be doing.

I agree with the Washington / Traylor comment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It's more likely the other teams will devote five or six blockers to four Pats rushers, and try to get the ball out quick. Going max protect against superior rushers is a zero sum game.

Addin players like Ellis and Haynesworth more likely pays dividends in increased interceptions and a few extra sacks and more dropped balls/bad passes.

Before, Ne could send five and the other team could negate the rush with five or six, which gave opponents  big margin for error, and put unrealistic pressure the linebackers and defensive backs to cover.

This unit won't have that issue. They could send four and get a better rush than they used to get with five. It should be fun to watch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

as long as no one gets injured before the season.......

Sections
Shortcuts