Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Football

I've never seen one man do so little with so much talent.

5-15 on third downs, but they were all 3rd and long weren't they?

Brady sacked twice, pressured numerous times, 49 passing attempts, two INT's, 1 fumble that was really another INT, a 4.4 rushing average for our backs who only rushed it 24 times accumulatively = O'Brien blows.

I saw one screen play all game, they rolled Brady away from the pressure one time and not until the final scoring drive, I swear they made every mistake against the Giants that the 2007 team did... aren't you supposed to learn from mistakes?

I could call a better game on the playstation.  There was the series to start the 3rd quarter for example; 1st in ten Law Firm rips off an 8 yard run, we only need two for a 1st down so they send Solder on the field as a tight end, they put him wide in the flanker position with Law Firm in the backfield, Tommy motions Solder in so he's lined up at tight end, essentially a 6 man offensive line, over a ton of beef... they pass, Tommy throws his 2nd INT. 

We could have rammed it down their throats but threw it away again...

Once again, The Patriot's should stop being cheap and pay an offensive coordinator familiar with the Ernhardt Perkins offensive system to run the offense so Belichick can run the D.  There's no salary cap on coaching, this is a coaches league... C'mon Krafty?!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Footabll

We absolutely shut their running game down and still they managed to give their runningbacks 30 carries. We couldn't be stopped in the ground game and stopped ourselves... yet again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The run wasn't there from our backs. Take away the two long rushes, one for 18 and another for 9 and they averaged 3 yards a carry. The Giants weren't fearing that. The O-line didn't run or pass block well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

While a lot of what happened today is on Brady, you are correct.  There are offensive coordinators who would think they had died and gone to heaven if they had this offense to work with. 

As much as we all love BB he has one fatal flaw.  He can't stand people that challenge him, nor can he stand anyone on his staff being elevated to the point where the rest of the league notices them, ala Weis and Romeo.  So he tries to keep his coaching staff very under the radar.  Hopefully he's close to coming to the conclusion that if he wants another ring so he can change the name of his boat again, he's going to have to bring in some big respectable names to help out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The line was man handled for much of the game - run - pass -it didn't matter. The Giants (who draft pass rushers whenever they can) are huge on the line. There aren't many 6'5"/6'6" guys around that can pass rush and play the run, they got 4 of them.

Our offense consists of a little possession receiver and two tight ends, it's not enough. Price had better find his hamstrings and this Ocho thing is confusing. Ocho gets open deep on one route (under thrown), he separates on a 15 yard out (ball was thrown too out), he beats a jam (very very well inside the 15), makes a hell of a catch out of bounds on an out, and then just completely blows a roll out pass designed for him...shoulders inside and then runs right into 2 defenders for an incompletion. Does Brady hate him? What the hell is going on here? Who's fault is this? You don't hear him complaining, yet week after week goes by and nothing. They have no plays designed just for him, something he feels comfy with, is our offense that ridged?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Footabll:
    [QUOTE]While a lot of what happened today is on Brady, you are correct.  There are offensive coordinators who would think they had died and gone to heaven if they had this offense to work with.  As much as we all love BB he has one fatal flaw.  He can't stand people that challenge him, nor can he stand anyone on his staff being elevated to the point where the rest of the league notices them, ala Weis and Romeo.  So he tries to keep his coaching staff very under the radar.  Hopefully he's close to coming to the conclusion that if he wants another ring so he can change the name of his boat again, he's going to have to bring in some big respectable names to help out. 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

One O coordinator would be enough...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Football

Agreed... the worse. Hit the Road Jack!

In Response to Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Football:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen one man do so little with so much talent. 5-15 on third downs, but they were all 3rd and long weren't they? Brady sacked twice, pressured numerous times, 49 passing attempts, two INT's, 1 fumble that was really another INT, a 4.4 rushing average for our backs who only rushed it 24 times accumulatively = O'Brien blows. I saw one screen play all game, they rolled Brady away from the pressure one time and not until the final scoring drive, I swear they made every mistake against the Giants that the 2007 team did... aren't you supposed to learn from mistakes? I could call a better game on the playstation.  There was the series to start the 3rd quarter for example; 1st in ten Law Firm rips off an 8 yard run, we only need two for a 1st down so they send Solder on the field as a tight end, they put him wide in the flanker position with Law Firm in the backfield, Tommy motions Solder in so he's lined up at tight end, essentially a 6 man offensive line, over a ton of beef... they pass, Tommy throws his 2nd INT.  We could have rammed it down their throats but threw it away again... Once again, The Patriot's should stop being cheap and pay an offensive coordinator familiar with the Ernhardt Perkins offensive system to run the offense so Belichick can run the D.  There's no salary cap on coaching, this is a coaches league... C'mon Krafty?!
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm not a fan.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Our offensive playcalling just seems to lack a general direction.

We could've ran it more, establish the play action, especially given that the Giants couldn't stop the run all season. But I remember on like the 2nd drive, the one time we ran it was with Woodhead on 3rd and short. If you're going to pound it, use Law Firm!

Brady was under pressure on day. I expected us to run it a lot and use screens to slow down their pass rush. Nope!

There's just no gameplan to me. It looked like a string of sporadic calls.

I wouldn't say O'Brien is the worst O coordinator in the league, but he's certainly not good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Footabll:
    [QUOTE]The line was man handled for much of the game - run - pass -it didn't matter. The Giants (who draft pass rushers whenever they can) are huge on the line. There aren't many 6'5"/6'6" guys around that can pass rush and play the run, they got 4 of them. Our offense consists of a little possession receiver and two tight ends, it's not enough. Price had better find his hamstrings and this Ocho thing is confusing. Ocho gets open deep on one route (under thrown), he separates on a 15 yard out (ball was thrown too out), he beats a jam (very very well inside the 15), makes a hell of a catch out of bounds on an out, and then just completely blows a roll out pass designed for him...shoulders inside and then runs right into 2 defenders for an incompletion. Does Brady hate him? What the hell is going on here? Who's fault is this? You don't hear him complaining, yet week after week goes by and nothing. They have no plays designed just for him, something he feels comfy with, is our offense that ridged?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Seems like the offensive play calling is off. Seems like the OL and TEs didn't help our RBs much in the first half. Why aren't we using TEs to help block and pulling guards to lead the way? They're were very predictable in the first half, less so in the second half.

Here's another thing. I wonder if the running back by committee idea should be changed? Not so much that relief shouldn't be provided when they get tired - but giving Law Firm and Ridley more involved in numerous kinds of plays so that they become less predictable in what they do? THEN throw a change of pace guy like Woody.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]I don;t think it's BB.  Brady and McDaniels were buddies. Brady then handpicked O'Brien. They then gave O'Brien this title.  In some ways, this team has no Off Coordinator, so I think that is the issue.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

The buck stops with BB, if there was a coordinator that had final say we would be a lot better off, ask any QB to call their own plays and they'll throw it 70% or more times...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Football:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen one man do so little with so much talent. 5-15 on third downs, but they were all 3rd and long weren't they? Brady sacked twice, pressured numerous times, 49 passing attempts, two INT's, 1 fumble that was really another INT, a 4.4 rushing average for our backs who only rushed it 24 times accumulatively = O'Brien blows. I saw one screen play all game, they rolled Brady away from the pressure one time and not until the final scoring drive, I swear they made every mistake against the Giants that the 2007 team did... aren't you supposed to learn from mistakes? I could call a better game on the playstation.  There was the series to start the 3rd quarter for example; 1st in ten Law Firm rips off an 8 yard run, we only need two for a 1st down so they send Solder on the field as a tight end, they put him wide in the flanker position with Law Firm in the backfield, Tommy motions Solder in so he's lined up at tight end, essentially a 6 man offensive line, over a ton of beef... they pass, Tommy throws his 2nd INT.  We could have rammed it down their throats but threw it away again... Once again, The Patriot's should stop being cheap and pay an offensive coordinator familiar with the Ernhardt Perkins offensive system to run the offense so Belichick can run the D.  There's no salary cap on coaching, this is a coaches league... C'mon Krafty?!
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

wozz,
     you finally comin around or have you felt this way and not said it.
    in my pats overhaul at th end of last season on this forum this was # 1 and probably one of the most important of the 12 or so points on my list (hiring a top off. coordinator)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

2 INTs and a fumble by the golden boy and a muff by the groper will negate any offensive gameplan.  TB is losing "it" right before our eyes - has not played a complete game in weeks.  The returns game is quite horrendous - anyone think Edelman is an improvement over Tate (who appears to be having quite a decent year so far)?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

The OC calling is bad, could anyone make out what the game plan was?  It's like he's throwing stuff out there see what works and try to run that the rest of the game. 

Some of the plays Brady left on the field like the would had been a TD to Ocho if Brady would had released quicker but the rest comeon.  You and I know coming in the pressure is going to be constant and they don't game plan for max protect and heavy running against a team that struggles against the run?  Sick of watching Brady's years go by without anything to show for it because coaching is just not at the level it needs to be.  That also is clear when you see what little progress even regression on young players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

BB is making the personnel decisions, so if O'Brien is the problem, the blame ultimately rests with BB because BB has had several years now to assess O'Brien's talent and decide whether or not to keep him. 

One myth, though, needs to be busted.  This offense is not that talented. Brady is good, the TEs are good, and Welker is good.  After that, we really don't have much in the skill positions.  I thought the O line was pretty good, but they seem to be losing it too. Part of the problem for the O line, though, is that teams don't have to worry too much about either the run or the deep pass, so they can really concentrate their efforts on pass rush and short pass defense.  The line has a tougher job because of it, I think. A lot of teams are loading up the box with 8,9, even 10 men at or near the LOS.  That makes life hard for the line. 

Those who are defending the defense are ignoring its faults.  The pass coverage is atrocious.  It's not just our DBs but our LBs too.  We just don't have enough guys who can play close to the receiver effectively and make plays on the ball. And the pass rush continues to be subpar. We are good against the run--it's always been a strength for this defense--and we tighten up in the red zone when our pass defenders have a smaller area to cover. This has helped us limit points scored. But teams get in the redzone too frequently.  If you give up lots of shots on net, the other team will score, even if your goalie plays well.  That's kind of where the Pats are now.  They can't stop drives outside the red zone, and so teams get lots of shots against their red zone defense.  Those teams won't score all the time--but they are scoring enough to win, particularly when our offense sputters. 

There are scheme issues on both offense and defense . . . but I'm afraid the scheme is often dictated by the talent.  If you don't have guys who can cover man-to-man, then you are going to be forced into playing a lot of softer zones. If you don't have a deep threat and don't have great running backs, you're going to have to pass short.  

So we can criticize scheme, but maybe the real fault lies with scouting and player development.  We're either bringing in the wrong guys or we're not developing them well once they're here.  I think there's some of both.  For instance, I'm not sure Ridley was the best guy to draft . . . but now that he's here, why aren't we doing more to get him in the mix?  Why do our corners always seem to regress?  What's happening with our O line that everyone seemed to think was good and that now can't seem to hold their own?  Was the talent playing above it's head earlier in the season?  Or is the talent playing below it's potential because the coaching has the players confused and losing confidence in themselves?  I don't know the answer, but increasingly I'm wondering whether talent acquisition and development is becoming a big problem for this team--and maybe BB needs more experienced help in those areas to right the ship. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sawksfan. Show sawksfan's posts

They got the ball with around 2:40 left in good field position with 3 timeouts  and ran a hurry up and 3 plays before the 2 minute warning.  At the time I was wondering why with the first play being a run they just didn't let the clock roll to the 2 minute warning instead of running 2 more plays.  Announcers talked about them getting in a rythym but that's ridiculous.  I'm sure they felt pressured needing a TD in that situation but they could have and should have burned at least another minute off the clock in that drive. With 3 timeouts they could have milked it to 1:20 before they even got serious about running a hurry up.  I doubt the Giants would have called any timeouts before the Patriots scored and even if they had it would have put more pressure on Giants offense when they got the ball back with 1 or 0 timeouts.  Just like Arizona the Pats left too much time on the clock at end of game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm not buying Brady hand picking coordinators.  But I do agree, I don't like the one we have.  Or the DC for that matter.  At least ONE of them seems to be getting a bit better though.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Come on.  Do you seriously think Brady is taking total direction from the OC.  The guy is the reigning MVP?  Do you not think he has audible authority at the line, and if so, do you not think he uses it? 

Maybe I am spoiled but I am of the opinion that when QB's demonstrate an acumen for figuring out defenses, very little of what the OC may call matters 5 seconds after the team lines up. 

If the OC's play gets run, it is only with the QB's blessing.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Welker and 2 TE. So much talent. Yeah he sucks as a OC but people are blind. The WR can't man press coverage against anyone and the reason teams do that is because they have zero speed. They aren't worried about anything deep so they press and funnel everyting to the middle. Leaving Welker, Gronk and Hernandez to make all the plays. Only thing he needs to implement is so freaking screens like every other team on earth runs. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Bill O'Brien is easily the worst coordinator in Pro Football:
    [QUOTE]Come on.  Do you seriously think Brady is taking total direction from the OC.  The guy is the reigning MVP?  Do you not think he has audible authority at the line, and if so, do you not think he uses it?  Maybe I am spoiled but I am of the opinion that when QB's demonstrate an acumen for figuring out defenses, very little of what the OC may call matters 5 seconds after the team lines up.  If the OC's play gets run, it is only with the QB's blessing.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

The OC is responsible for the game plan, the game plan that has been put together sucked.  He's also dictating what personnel groupings are on the field.  He's responsible for adjustments during the game based on what the D is trying to.  That falls on the OC and he has done a terrible job specially in mid game adjustments. 

Reggie Bush torched the Giants D, their run D is suspect. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.