Bill O'Brien watch . . .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Bill O'Brien watch . . .

Widely reviled by our unappreciative fan base, Bill O'Brien continues to be the early favourite for NCAA Coach of the Year.  His Penn State team put a beating on Iowa yesterday, looking dominant in all phases of the game.  They are passing well, running well, and playing good defense too.  O'Brien started at Penn State under extremely adverse conditions and has just done a fabulous job in what seemed like a hopeless situation.  I doubt you'll hear much praise for him from our bellyaching fans . . . they prefer to spend their time criticizing the coaches' play calling and pointing fingers at Brady.  But Bill O'Brien really deserves some recognition for what he's done . . . Here's the lead from the ESPN article:

Penn State looking more like Big Ten's best

October, 21, 2012
    OCT 21
    1:43
    AM ET

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- It's time to stop talking about Penn State as a nice little story. 

The narrative about first-year coach Bill O'Brien getting the most out of his presumably talent-starved, transfer-wrecked roster sounds old, boring and, quite frankly, a bit condescending. Because even in praising O'Brien and his Nittany Lions, there's a subtle hint that things inevitably will fall apart. There's a suggestion that at some point, the letdown will happen -- at some point, Penn State will collapse under the weight of all that has happened to its program in the past 11 months. 

Keep waiting. 

Maybe it's time to be honest about Penn State. This is a merciless football team playing with tremendous confidence and urgency on both sides of the ball. O'Brien and his staff are one step -- or, in games such as Saturday night's -- three steps ahead of the competition, and they have more than enough talent to keep on winning. 

Right now, the Big Ten has no hotter team than the Lions. A week from now, we could be proclaiming Penn State the Big Ten's best team. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Re: Bill O'Brien watch . . .

Thanks for that Prolate ....

I'm happy for Bill O'B, the Penn State Players and Fans. Wish him further success for the makings of a great Story.

I enjoy your posts and comments and have a great Day at the Razor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

They just beat Iowa for God sakes.  They are worse than UMass.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

A school with a long tradition of supporting Baby Rapers.  They might as well change their name too "the Scout Masters" or "The Priests"

Nuke Happy Valley!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I always thought Bill O'Brien was better suited as a head coach for the college game.

He is a good guy and has a clear cut philosophy, what the college player needs. Talk about focused, that atmosphere must have been toxic, how he can make a success out of that I do not know...amazing.

As a pro strategist always thought we needed someone a bit more analytical/sophisitcated but then Josh McD is obvioulsy too far in that direction. So smart he outsmarts himself.

I guess I am part of that unappreciative fan base. I look at it as finding everyones talent and putting them in a postion to succeed. I know there is a use for Josh McD as offensive coordinator to help develop the very sophisitcated offense the Pats have. I wish someone a little more grounded was actually calling the plays in the game though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I suspect the PS players are very motivated because of the scandal. I.m not a fan of OB, but it ha little to do with his coaching. His asinine verbal assault on Brady in favor of the clueless scrub Underwood was despicable behavior for a so called professional. I'm very glad he's gone. The final chapter on his PS adventure is yet to be written. Let's give it a while before we start canonization proceedings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I suspect the PS players are very motivated because of the scandal. I.m not a fan of OB, but it ha little to do with his coaching. His asinine verbal assault on Brady in favor of the clueless scrub Underwood was despicable behavior for a so called professional. I'm very glad he's gone. The final chapter on his PS adventure is yet to be written. Let's give it a while before we start canonization proceedings.

I agree.  We both were very critical towards BOB for his tantrum towards Brady on the sidelines when that happened.  But I am glad he is doing well at Penn St.  He should be commended for taking that tough job after all the school has been through.  Thought he has handled his position there with some class and trying hard to turn it all around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I'm not a Kansas St. fan, but to be honest I think their coach will be coach of the year.

Sections
Shortcuts