Bill Polian

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Bill Polian

I think this is the year we find out how overrated Polian may be. He's touted as an excellent GM who built his team around the draft...i say FALSE.

He built his team around Peyton Manning...or Peyton Manning built the team with Polians picks

I think Pitt showed last year they could win without Big Ben as they went 3-1 to open last season
    NE went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008
    And if last year's game was any indication, GB can compete without Rodgers

Most of these teams probably would not have won the super bowl if their franchise QB was out the whole season. that's expected.

But good GMs will build teams that can remain playoff contenders even without the Franchise Qb...Its the franchise Qb that makes the team a Super Bowl Contender

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Bill Polian

What is not smart about building a team around Manning, a player who didn't miss a game in 13 seasons and has been the best QB in the game.  Sounds like a smart idea to me. 

I think when you put franchises you've built into 6 super bowls that is worthy of being called smart. 

I think when you start a franchise from scratch and take it to the conference championship game in the franchises 2nd year, that's pretty smart. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runer. Show Runer's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Polian:
    [QUOTE]What is not smart about building a team around Manning, a player who didn't miss a game in 13 seasons and has been the best QB in the game.  Sounds like a smart idea to me.  I think when you put franchises you've built into 6 super bowls that is worthy of being called smart.  I think when you start a franchise from scratch and take it to the conference championship game in the franchises 2nd year, that's pretty smart. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

The best QB in the game would have won more than one superbowl.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

putting all your eggs in one basket is always a bad idea.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Runer - not sure how you figure that. 

Being that this was your first post on the board, I take it you are not well versed in my general feelings on this matter. 

Simply put, football is the most team of sports.  To assume that one player (manning in this case) can control the defense and special teams without playing a single down for either is highly short sighted. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runer. Show Runer's posts

[QUOTE]Runer - not sure how you figure that.  Being that this was your first post on the board, I take it you are not well versed in my general feelings on this matter.  Simply put, football is the most team of sports.  To assume that one player (manning in this case) can control the defense and special teams without playing a single down for either is highly short sighted. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I am well versed enough to know that any fan of another team that hangs out on a rival teams board is simply put a troll and a troublemaker.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Well yes Polian's prowess will be tested, but when you have the best in the game on the field and he is as much a general as he is - directing the offense completely in camp, etc - when he's gone the team is left with a void. 

By contrast - Brady's simple game management style can be duplicated as we saw by a capable (but unspectacular) back up.  Add to that the marvelous defense and the high quality offensive players that Cassel had around him, and while 11-5 is surprising, that the pats had success, is not. 

the thing that will stink is if the colts d actually steps up this year, then it could have been a superbowl year for us.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Hey Rusty - Thanks for perpetuating the Colts threads on the pats board.  Keeps me busy, and I am loving talking colts football with you. 

LOL!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]What is not smart about building a team around Manning, a player who didn't miss a game in 13 seasons and has been the best QB in the game.  Sounds like a smart idea to me.  I think when you put franchises you've built into 6 super bowls that is worthy of being called smart.  I think when you start a franchise from scratch and take it to the conference championship game in the franchises 2nd year, that's pretty smart. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Polian has had a great body of work no doubt...but so did Al Davis...but we're not calling him a great owner at the moment. Carolina was great work, ill give you that. But i wouldnt consider his colts tenure masterful.

You cant assume that over a 13 year career, your QB isnt going to miss a game. Its easy to look back now and say they didnt need a backup, but if i asked you 13 years ago if you thought peyton wouldnt miss a start, you probably wouldve said yes.

Creating a team around one player suggests that if that one player goes down, you're done for. This past decade, teams like NE. Manning has been the most indispensible player for the past 7 years it seems like, that is not a good thing. Why couldnt Polian build a better defense where it didnt have to rly so much on the arm of 18?

Fact of the matter is, The Colts success this past decade has been because of Manning not Polian.
    Had GMs like Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Colbert, BB, Ted Thompson had gotten Manning, he wouldve won more than just 1 Super Bowl...because they built complete teams, where as Polian just built a team around Manning

If the Colts compete this season, I will admit that Im wrong. But considering the emergency signing of Collins, it doesnt look that way

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Don't the Colts have their own board? I want Manning healthy so when the Pats beat them there won't be any excuses about how they didn't have their General out there.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Well heck dapats. 

Everyone's day passes them by eventually.  And while Polian is still pulling many of the strings with the franchise, he has turned day to day GM duties over his son who oversaw this year's draft. 

In the 13 years before polian arrived, the indianapolis colts went to playoffs just 3 times and the most wins they had was 9 in any season. 

In the 13 seasons since (and remember he came in off of a 3-13 season), he's been to the playoffs 11 seasons, been to 3 AFCCG's, been to 2 SB's, and won 1.  His teams have won less than 9 games only twice and one of those was his first season when a rookie QB started and the previous season the team was 3-13.   

I do agree with you about the defense.  IMO, its been unfair to Manning.  I'll also agree that Polian has overpaid a few and let some players go that he shouldn't.  But imagine if Bob Sanders didn't get hurt for those 3 seasons in a row.  He, like Polamalu, was a difference maker.  I think its possible with just that one player playing at an all pro level, it could have made a significant difference.  C'est la vie. 

Further, if comparing to the pats.  The colts had a kicker that missed 2 clutch playoff kicks that could have changed the team's fortunes.  That never happened to the pats.  

Finally, building a defense isn't easy.  If it was, there'd be alot of better teams out there.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

He's a very good GM, no question, but as GM of the Bills he knew how important it was to have Frank Reich--one of the best backup QBs ever--ready to step in if Kelly got hurt. And Kelly got hurt a lot in the latter part of his career. That he has never really had a good backup QB in Indy is puzzling. Granted, Manning has been an iron man, but the guy's not made of stone. As Rocky's trainer said after he cut Ivan Drago: "You see! He's not a machine! He's a man!!!!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Polian is just an ok GM. He has added enough to get them one SB in the Manning era. Of course he does deserve credit for getting Manning with a big draft pick. Though those high picks have a fair chance of being a bust they are relatively high percentage successful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runer. Show Runer's posts

The Colts are a franchise born in indy based upon lies and treachery.

"This building is a symbol of our dedication to bring winning football back to our fans. We want our team to match the standards set by this building."  - Robert Irsay to fans in Owning Mills, MD

Four years later they snuck out in the night like cowards.....even stealing the nickname. The cowardly behavior and sneakiness continues to this day.

At least the Ravens had the dignity to leave the name with the city of Cleveland.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]He's a very good GM, no question, but as GM of the Bills he knew how important it was to have Frank Reich--one of the best backup QBs ever--ready to step in if Kelly got hurt. And Kelly got hurt a lot in the latter part of his career. That he has never really had a good backup QB in Indy is puzzling. Granted, Manning has been an iron man, but the guy's not made of stone. As Rocky's trainer said after he cut Ivan Drago: "You see! He's not a machine! He's a man!!!!"
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

Hardright.  Don't you think Collins is a decent alternative?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Polian is just an ok GM. He has added enough to get them one SB in the Manning era. Of course he does deserve credit for getting Manning with a big draft pick. Though those high picks have a fair chance of being a bust they are relatively high percentage successful.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe, Polian's made plenty of mistakes for sure, but I think he is much better than ok. 

There's no guarantee that top picks make it.  In 98 alone, picks 2,3, and 5 were busts.  Polian could have picked Leaf. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Rusty - Thanks for perpetuating the Colts threads on the pats board.  Keeps me busy, and I am loving talking colts football with you.  LOL!!!
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Talk smack while you can, when you are 0-4 you will nowhere to be found.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]The Colts are a franchise born in indy based upon lies and treachery. "This building is a symbol of our dedication to bring winning football back to our fans. We want our team to match the standards set by this building."  - Robert Irsay to fans in Owning Mills, MD Four years later they snuck out in the night like cowards.....even stealing the nickname. The cowardly behavior and sneakiness continues to this day. At least the Ravens had the dignity to leave the name with the city of Cleveland.
    Posted by Runer[/QUOTE]
    Know anything about eminent domain runer?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Polian : Talk smack while you can, when you are 0-4 you will nowhere to be found.
    Posted by patrick69[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'll be here.  Your comment suggest you are a novice and don't know me very well. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runer. Show Runer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Polian : Know anything about eminent domain runer?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Sneaking out in the night and stealing the name.... like i said, at least the old browns team had the class and dignity to start anew, not steal a cities identity and run.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The point is Polian never planned to have a decent back-up until he absolutely needed one. The Colts should have at least drafted a capable back-up within the last two years. You don't sign Collins if you believe your  capable back-up is already on the roster. We also get to see just how good the coaching staff in Indy really is without Manning.

It would be a miracle if the Colts lost Manning for the season and still managed to make the playoffs or win 11 games.

Sections
Shortcuts