Bill Simmons on the state of Patriots nation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Bill Simmons on the state of Patriots nation

For all the time WEEI spends ripping Bill Simmons,  I don't think anyone could have described the state of Patriots nation better than this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?page=simmons/patriots/090925

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Couldn't have said it better

I think his point about recent drafts is well taken.  It's been debated here quite a bit.  We've had some very mediocre drafts recently.  The number of FA's we didn't draft starting on our team is quite high compared to our championship years.   I disagree with the article on this year's draft however.  I think we turned things around with this draft.  Floyd Reese has a history of striking gold.  I think he drafted 3 rookie of the year's.  

I think this year is a defining year for the Pats.  However it turns out will likely be an indicator of the next couple of seasons.  If we have a good year we have a lot to hope for in the following seasons.  If we do so-so we don't have much reason to think it will get better anytime soon.  I think we're going to look at the team at the end of the season and have a lot to feel good about myself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Bill Simmons on the state of Patriots nation

Wow, an article with real insight and analysis.  As opposed to Mazz who just repeats the most obvious comments about what happened in last week's game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Bill's gotta be one of the biggest homers there is, so for him to write this, it should cause us all to take a step back. The recent threads about the weak drafts was pretty polarizing. Choircontrarian was nearly tarred and feathered for raising the issue, but he reallly did have a point. Everyone points to Welker and Moss as "draft picks," but they really aren't.

I was thinking about this today before I even read the ESPN article. Why? I read  a NFP article on the Giants emerging star WRs Manningham and Smith. These two look really good and it made me mad watching them Sunday night. "Why can't we draft guys like that?"

BB may or may not have lost his fastball when it comes to the overall draft--I have renewed hope in the class of 09. However, I have little doubt that the Pats have a blatant inability to draft offensive skill positions. Edelman will no doubt prove to be a keeper, but that was a truly low-risk roll of the dice. 7th rounder--he makes it great, if not, no biggie.

Tate could prove to be a steal as well. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, the thought of Owen Daniels and Greg Jennings instead of David Thomas and Chad Jackson makes me only think of what might have been...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

"Patriot Nation"???
    Save that faggity expression for the Sox and their fans if they want to have it. 
    It's too clownish for the Pats and their fans in my opinion. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Wasn't this the same Bill Simmons that said Doc Rivers couldn't coach?  Just a thought, and then Danny got him some players, and what happened?  Oh yeah banner #17.  Last year had KG not been hurt, the finals would most likely have occurred.  But I digress, Simmons can write, but if he is trying to say that this will come to an end well I think we should all stand up and cheer for his tremendous insight.  They have been the best of the decade, and it will end, but until it does some media folk are begging to tell us what we know will eventually happen...circa Ron Borges who will eventually get it right just maybe 9-10 years later. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I know I'd love to have Maualuga instead of Chung right now. Chung will be good, but we were already thin at linebacker before Bruschi retired and Mayo got hurt. The '09 draft was four rounds deep at safety.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Simmons on the state of Patriots nation:
    [QUOTE]I know I'd love to have Maualuga instead of Chung right now. Chung will be good, but we were already thin at linebacker before Bruschi retired and Mayo got hurt. The '09 draft was four rounds deep at safety.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE] Chung cannot even beat out McGowan to get any playing time.I don't see him as a factor this year or next.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

chung will b fine... i think just like lineback, safety is another spot on the patriots defense that deals with alot of adjustments... It took merriweather a while to learn, and he was drafted higher. I think chung will get in there later on this season and continue onto next year as merriweather did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Everything that simmons said has been posted on this site by someone at sometime.  Maybe not in aggregate, but it is there.  

The Simmons, the ultimate public homer (be thankful for him), article was necessary for many to remove the rose colored glasses in order to see things as they really are.  

Now many have commented correctly that it is only the second game, and I believe that Brady will get his act together, but Simmons had to question this. In additon, Brady created a whole new life during his time off.  Is it possible that his new life has taken some of his focus away from football?  I don't think so.  I think he simply suffering from the mental stress of returning from serious injury.  But admittedly the confidence that the board here had in the off season and preseason regarding his return actually made me question my position that he would struggle in the beginning. 

So was I actually right at that time, or is brady really healthy (and mentally) and suffering from a lack of focus?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RantinRaven. Show RantinRaven's posts

Great article and I'm in Camp 2.  A small store owner told me yesterday, he doesn't hire anyone living at home with their parents, someone without a mortgage, and preferably car payments.  I've felt Belichick has been playing a lousy poker hand for awhile and I doubt his players would follow him into a fire after the way he's treated some of our past veteran players.  The Patriots have lost their identity.  They've become a huge, slow dinosaur without any swagger.  When I saw 2 years ago the Ravens, Eagles, and Giants defenses coming at Brady from all different directions, I said now that's exciting defense.  Now we have the Jets' Tsunami to look at and envy (resent).   Let's see what they do with other teams, and I'm beating, if they stay healthy, their defense will continue to dominate most teams.

I'm hoping the Pats do find an identity, but if they don't, it's probably time to clean house in the coaching department and go with a "slightly" younger, more aggressive and someone with a mortgage persona (i.e. Chucky).  Belichick would probably make a great GM (i.e. Oakland).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

RantinRaven:

After seeing the Bucs being coached By Chucky for a few years, trust me: you do not want to see the Pats' being coached by him.

Yes, I think that something is going on in that locker room due to the timing of Seymour's trade (initiated by BB, by the way), since it had been obvious for months that Wilfork would be the one kept and not Seymour - why wait until one week before the season? This is the type of thing that would rankle the players (especially veterans) and would provide an undesired distraction on top of the serious issues already faced by the team (i.e. revamped defense, Brady's return etc.).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

We've always talked here about BB puting players in position to succeed but Seymour look like a new player for Oakland aleast week one. Lined up all across the D line causing mismatches and making plays. Unlike anything Burgess has shown us. I think we all remember Tom had a vet QB at his side when he was in the spot Cassel was last year? that team chose to be introduced as a TEAM /but Tom was told to stay home. I can't say much about the drafts they speak for themselves. If BB just could 'nt find the LBers to play his system maybe he should have looked for D linemen before he was forced into a 4-3 D. I don't see how there was'nt someone to play a no pressure bend but don't break game plan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Simmons' article is a good one. The nagging question in my mind for the past few years is:

Has Belichick's ego gotten too big? Is he starting to believe that coaching--and really just his own coaching since he doesn't seem to care to hire offensive and defensive coordinators--wins games and that top talent isn't really important? The constant attempt to assemble a team out of rookie free agents, middle- and late-round picks, and old men certainly raises eyebrows. I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid on the Seymour trade, but it's starting to taste a bit sour as I watch the anemic pass rush. Is Mike Wright really the guy we want standing next to Wilfork in that 4-3, especially when we have such a limited LB corp?

Belichick seems to be relying too much on himself. At some point, Robert or Jonathan Kraft is going to have to pull him aside and give him a good talk about how the leaders of great organizations don't try to do everything themselves. Instead they hire good talent and let that talent excel. That's what Robert and Jonathan did when they hired Belichick and Pioli. By nature football coaches are control freaks. But sometimes trying to control everything results only in everything spinning out of control. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The article is on point for this one thing....  REAL good things can't last forever!

So many Pats fans are expecting the successes of the 2001 - 2004 and 2007 seasons to reappear magically.  Yes, you can always have the confidence the history of the team supports this thinking, but, the players have changed as did the chemistry.  Kool-aid drinkers have a tendency to be blind to the possibility things can change and as a result, things may not go too well.  Being positive is one thing, being "blindly" positive is something else.

Look at the defense for example.. it has changed dramatically, much more so than the offense, since the 2007 season.  We can't take anything away from the players, they are trying the best to succeed.  Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't.  Another thing, we are 3 weeks in and the injury bug is hitting hard again with the possibility BOTH Welker and Moss could be out this Sunday.  Talk about how so many things need to fall into place and stay there for an NFL team today to be, and stay, consistently be on top.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zigmundo. Show zigmundo's posts

This has beeen one of the better strings I have read lately. Great posts by all. My gut tells me the Pats are in trouble this year. But I am a kool-aid drinker. The Pats 4-3 D doesn't seem to work. Sanchez looked like he could have watched a movie waiting for the pressure. On the other hand, Brady looked about as uncomfortable as my future son-in-law was the first time we met. I think Brady has always thought of himself as invincible. A no fear because I will never get an injury kind of guy. Now that he has discovered he is actually human, he is focusing on not going throiugh something like that ever again, instead of leading his receivers and putting his passes on the money. Just a thoiught.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I will give BB credit for thinking so long-term, like with the 2011 pick acquisition.

Bill Parcells will roll into a town, mortgage the long-term future of a franchise for a good couple years, and then leave town. He definitely did that with the Jets, which is why BB didn't want to replace him.

But yeah, we always go into a season under-staffed, and Simmons is exactly right that trading Branch cost us a Super Bowl in '06.

One other serious benefit to BB's stockpiling of future picks, though, is that the 2010 draft could be the deepest ever. If players are concerned about a rookie salary cap being installed in 2011, which apparently the NFL players union and the owners both want (making it close to a sure thing), every quality eligible junior and red shirt sophmore will come out for the 2010 draft to cash in.

This means that the Patriots could be looking at FOUR first round or borderline-first round quality players in the 2010 draft. That is very exciting!
    The 2011 draft will probably be incredibly shallow, but our two first rounders will be swell.

I wonder if BB and the Krafts considered the exedus of juniors and red-shirt sophmores into the 2010 draft when they traded away so many picks this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

WEEI and the 98.5 group are just jealous because they don't have half the talent of Bill Simmons. Simmons is an excellent writer, something the Globe writers and the bums on WEEI can't compete with. All the good writers have moved on and we're stuck with the likes of Mazz.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, an article with real insight and analysis.  As opposed to Mazz who just repeats the most obvious comments about what happened in last week's game.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

As an aside,  come to think of it, when you do read a Mazz column, it's 1000 words of nothing.  God do I miss Will McDonough. 

I think Mazz floats from sport to sport and as a result brings no level of depth to the table. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

I think this is Simmons just trying to reverse jynx the Patriots.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]I know I'd love to have Maualuga instead of Chung right now. Chung will be good, but we were already thin at linebacker before Bruschi retired and Mayo got hurt. The '09 draft was four rounds deep at safety.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

The guy really kicking up a shetstorm is Detroit's Louis Delmas.  I think he was on the Patriots radar and was drafted right before we took Chung.  Perhaps he was their first choice?? Who knows.  BB is on record saying that he is happy with Chung's progress to date.  From my perspective, we have Meriweather, Wheatley, Wilhite, Chung and Butler.  I think that's as solid as can be for a kiddie corp DB unit.  All in all You can't complain about this group.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"All in all You can't complain about this group."

Just sayin' we could have drafted a quality safety in round 3 or 4, or even skinny safety Sean Smith at the end of round 2.

Maualuga was passed on 3 times, when BB had to know Bruschi was borderline productive at best. The depth at safety in this draft was better than the depth at linebacker.

Mayo is a little light to be a real thumper, and McKenzie is on the light side also.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]"All in all You can't complain about this group." Just sayin' we could have drafted a quality safety in round 3 or 4, or even skinny safety Sean Smith at the end of round 2. Maualuga was passed on 3 times, when BB had to know Bruschi was borderline productive at best. The depth at safety in this draft was better than the depth at linebacker. Mayo is a little light to be a real thumper, and McKenzie is on the light side also.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

Bottom line.  I wrote it earlier this wek on another thread and Bill Simmons' article stated it in depth very very indepth regarding the failure of the past three drafts netting only Meriweather Mayo and Gostowski.  (the 2009 draft is too early to tell, however I believe it will be ok)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

That article prob needed to be written, it is an intelligent fans perspective... but man it was depressing.

I got 9-7 or 10-6 with 1 playoff win out of that

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

Or Clay Mathews for that matter..we needed to draft a linebacker in my opinion one who could step in right away - I guess they have faith in Pierre Woods, Gary Guyton and Banta Cain coming back

Sections
Shortcuts