Bills @ Patriots Report Card

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card

In Response to Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card:
    [QUOTE]Uhh....this is how you rationalize. The Pats schemed to insure Evans/TO did not beat them. The LB's played the underneath route opening up the middle for the rb's/qb to takle advantage of the middle of the field. The Bills, to their credit did take advantage. But Kudo's to the Pats "D"...they followed the scheme taking Evans/TO out of the way, "daring" a middlin qb and back up rb to beat them.  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

rkarp:

What difference does it make whether its' TO thats' killing you, or, as was the case last night, Jackson? Allowing Trent Edwards to move the Bills for 17 points in just 23 minutes is not a good nights' work.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Got to give the Bills some credit, they play hard for Dick Jauron.  That was their Super Bowl.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Offense- OL -C Great to open the game.  Terrible in the middle.  Better at the end.

RESPONSE: The OL did a horrible job run blocking. The Pats are going nowhere if Brady has to takes hits, as will happen when he is being asked to throw 40 plus times per game in order to move the team.  

QB -C Shows rust, but he will come around.

RESPONSE: Just a "C"? Got to give the Terrific One a littlle more credit than that...for his late 4th quarter heroics. 

RB C+ Everyone good except Maroney.  As he always has, runs too much side to side.  Get him out, put in BJGE. WR -B First game jitters as both Moss and Welker drop passes

RESPONSE: Pleaseeee...enough Maroney bashing!! The guy was constantly being hit behind the line of scrimmage. The blame falls on the OL, not the RBs.

TE -A Great performance by Watson

RESPONSE: Amen...perhaps his best game as a Patriot.

Defense - DL - C Horrible.  Could not stop the run and until the end created no pass rush.

RESPONSE: If they were horrible, why give them a "C"? A "C" grade to me means that they were just OK/fair.

LB - C Mostly bad.  Obviously the loss of Mayo hurt, but the Pats are supposed to be able to interchange player - Didn't happen.  They were getting pushed way too deep.  Pierre Woods got smoked all night.  TBC had a great game.  Especially near the end.  Always seemed to be around the ball.

RESPONSE: The LBs gave up too many yards on screens and swing passes to RB Fred Jackson. Remember his name. He'll play for the Pats someday. 

DB's- C Played well with the exception of tackling.  (Actually, the tackling goes for the entire defense).  I liked the hard hitting of the secondary.  Good change from the past few years.

RESPONSE: Bills RB Fred Taylor looked like a man playing among boys, when he broke into the Pats' secondary. But, this unit did a decent job on the Bills' pair of talented WRs. 

Special teams B+ Other than Gost's missed FG, he had great kickoffs and the coverage was awesome. 

RESPONSE: Amen.

Coaching -  Defense- C-.  It seemed like the players on D were always in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

RESPONSE: Coaches were scrambling after the loss of Mayo.

Offense- C-.  I think the Offensive Coordinator grabbed McDaniel's playbook from the first few games last year.  You would think we have a bunch of old, slow receivers.  Throw that ball down the field already!  It's easy to game plan if you only have to worry about a twenty yard area.  Even if it's not there.  Throw it, to keep it in their mind!

RESPONSE: Remember, job one for the offense is to keep Tom Brady in one piece. The OL had some protection issues last night...so its' doubtful that Brady would have had the time to air it out. Thats' why the running game is so important. It keeps defenses honest.

Overall grade for the entire team - C.  Granted there were a few key plays that may have affected the score (Wilfork, Thomas, Brady's Int.), I was still disappointed.  Those are my thoughts on this game. 

RESPONSE: It could have been worse. At least the Pats escaped with a win. The offense will improve as the season goes on. But, where was Joey Galloway? It looks like the Pats will miss Jabar Gaffney. But, most importantly, the OL needs to start moving people off the line, and establish a running game. The defense is a work in progress. The Pats can ill afford the loss of Jerod Mayo for any extended period.

For the rest of the season, I am still very optimistic for the year and feel this team will take time to gel.  I think there will be a bunch of 38-31 type scores early this season, with the opponents scoring less as the season goes on, provided everyone is healthy.

RESPONSE: 38-31 games mean that the Pats are going nowhere this year. The Pats' "D" must hold their opposition to under 20 points per game, if this team is to be a legitimate SB contender. 

Posted by jeepguy2358[/QUOTE]

Great to talk Pats again, isn't it!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

From the Bills perspective...heres' a report card on the game from The Buffalo News: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/795882.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Makassar. Show Makassar's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously, his coaches need to discuss the concept of situational football with this knucklehead. Speaking of coaches, why wasn't McKelvin told before the play to accept the touchback, should Gostkowski's kick reach the endzone?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I think the Bills coaches were practicing situational football.  There was 2:06 left.  A touchback runs no time off the clock, so the clock would stop at the 2-minute warning, effectively giving the Pats another time out.  Running the ball out would've burned off 6 sec (you'd think) and saved the Bills one clock stoppage.  I was thinking, before the kick, that a touchback would be great for the Pats, give then the extra time out.....  I'm wondering if the Bills were thinking the same thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card : I think the Bills coaches were practicing situational football.  There was 2:06 left.  A touchback runs no time off the clock, so the clock would stop at the 2-minute warning, effectively giving the Pats another time out.  Running the ball out would've burned off 6 sec (you'd think) and saved the Bills one clock stoppage.  I was thinking, before the kick, that a touchback would be great for the Pats, give then the extra time out.....  I'm wondering if the Bills were thinking the same thing.
    Posted by Makassar[/QUOTE]

Good point, Mak.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

I give the TEAM a P for pass

Truth be told, this was one of the more exciting games that I have seen in a long time.

It is clear however that the Patriots are a work in progress.  No one should be surprised about this.

The timing of the offense was off a bit, particularly with Brady missing his receivers on several screen passes.  The run offense only produced 3.2 yards per carry.  In the end when it mattered the most the offense was unstoppable.  The offensive line was disappointing particularly Matt ‘swiss cheese’ Light.  

The defense was slow to react.  They do play a read and react defense and it seemed the Patriots were a step slow reacting.  Their ability to shut down the edge was very disturbing and the soft underbelly was undefended most of the night.  However I do think we should have expected this.  It will take a while for this defense to come together.  I liked the hitting that took place by our defensive backs and they did shut down T.O.

The 4 -3 sure looks a lot different. 

I think getting this first game under their belt was needed because now they will identify flaws in their game.

I still expect the offense to carry the team until the defense comes together as a single unit.

Next week against the Jets, look for Brady to pick the jets apart with his short passing game.  Look for the defense to put more pressure on the quarterback (inexperienced) Look for Sanchez to be intercepted twice.  Look for the defense to do a better job shutting down the running game. 

dboss

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Pats had a rough initial outing last night. But, it would be a mistake to write them off: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/3073/fans-need-to-settle-down-after-monday-night

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card : Mpat-- TexasPat is a real PATs fan. Your name calling does not reflect well on you. It is obvious that many people enjoy reading his posts.
    Posted by TSWFAN[/QUOTE] Texas Pat, has been an asset to this forum, he puts forth the time and effort to research and forward the info to those of us too lazy to do so. I enjoy his input and hope he considers the source and not shy away from continuing his input. Pat and I have had differences of opinions but that does not mean that I respect him any less. Pat keep up the good work, you are appreciated. Sonieboy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agentcooper. Show agentcooper's posts

I thought the secondary was much better. Evans and TO didn't even hurt them, just the screen passes (not really their fault). Feeling much better about this group than last year's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Hiya TEXPAT, Good Job. Three concerns I have are that Burgess and by extension most on the D line did not get enough pressure on a weak Bills offensive line. Burgess made maybe two plays the whole game. Banta-Cain and Mike Wright looked better than him and they got less PT. Offensive Line, The Pats are in big trouble if the O Line cannot effectively run block and Brady is constantly one personal foul away from a serious injury. If the   O Line peforms this badly against teams with better D Lines, then contenders like the Ravens and Steelers will crush Brady. Plain and Simple. #3 or secondary played well enough to stop TO or Evans from having a big game, but if the only turnovers the members of our secondary cause are on special teams....we are in alot of trouble.... we have DBs that can tackle, but can't get any key turnovers.....still very early on this one.....yet it seems like Meriweather is only DB capable of 3 or more INTs this year.

I excluded Mayo because that is an obvious concern. Anybody have any updates.. does BB still have Seau on his rolodex.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card : Texas Pat, has been an asset to this forum, he puts forth the time and effort to research and forward the info to those of us too lazy to do so. I enjoy his input and hope he considers the source and not shy away from continuing his input. Pat and I have had differences of opinions but that does not mean that I respect him any less. Pat keep up the good work, you are appreciated. Sonieboy!
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

Thanks sonie. Great to be talking about real football again! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

I have a slightly different take on the game. The D was able to create some pressure especially when it counted on the last drive (2 sacks ) keeping the bills kicker out of FG range. 4 Sacks total is not bad. Fred Jackson was limited to under 60 yards rushing and he isn't a slouch, he ran for over 100 on the Pats last year. The secondary didn't give up any deep balls and Bodden had a few well timed hits which caused lee evans to drop a couple passes.

If the ref's don't call that penalty on Wilfork for what was a great textbook form tackles then Buffalo's drive is over and they don't score.

The main damage came from screens which Guyton was not prepared to defend. If Mayo was in the middle fred jackson doesn't get all those receiving yards.

All in all the D is still a work in progress but after watching the last stand I was encouraged because they came through when it counted the most.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

The jury is still out on the defense. Corners will be better than E. Hobbs & D. O'Neal that's for sure. Brandon Merriweather wants to take the next step! I think he will continue to improve. Sanders is the one I worry about. I bet he gets bumped by Chung later in the season. As for offense they literally played without a third receiver! What's up with Galloway? My feeling is they need a tough 3rd receiver ala Givens. Moss can be brilliant but does he bring toughness? I know Welker is tough! Good for watson, the guy showed up this game ( Is it a contract year?). Brady looked rusty. He will obviously get better. Unfortunately, every defense that the Pats play will have a game plan of hitting Brady every opportunity they get. That said, the Pats need to continue improving at running the ball!!!!
    Special teams? I thought they were physical out there. I like seeing Maroney on kick offs as he seems to do well when he build up speed and get into space. How about Gotowski the kicker coming up with the fumble! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Where else can a QB thrown for 2 TDs, 370+ yards, and the entire fan base thinks he's having an 'off' night? Seroiusly. a B-?  Aren't we a bit spoiled?

As for your comments on Jackson, last time I checked, BB was of the 'if Thurman Thomas runs for more than 100 yards and we lose I'll retire' school... I'm not saying that was the case here, but you stress Jackson like it is a huge gap in our D and seem to neglect that the two biggest playmakes on the Bills were held to under 80 yards total combined... I mean, which is it... a D designed to stop TO and Evans did its job...  is it somehow easier to swallow when elite players get theirs and you hold everyone else?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LovelyLeon. Show LovelyLeon's posts

I give the fan base a resounding F-!!!

Did anybody contribute to the Game thread last night???If you did you are NO fan of any team in the NE area!

The sky was falling and there was 10 minutes left in the game-You should ALL be ashamed of yourselves!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Bills @ Patriots Report Card:
    [QUOTE]            1.) QB:  Lots of work still needs to be done to shake off the rust of what was such a well oiled machine in 2007. Obviously, the Terrific One did not have his timing down with his receivers. Brady missed many 3rd and 4th down dinks and dunks for drive sustaining first downs, which once were so automatic. Horrible interception while under pressure, thrown right to Bills' DE, Aaron Schobel, handing the Bills an easy TD, was unforgivable. That said, Tom was his terrific old self in the final minutes...hurling two lasers to Ben Watson to pull victory from the jaws of defeat.  GRADE: B-       2.) RBs: These guys are of no consequence when the OL is not opening up any running room...as was the case tonight. Usual nice job by Kevin Faulk catching passes out of the backfield.  GRADE: C       3.) OL: Though the big uglies allowed only one sack, the Bills were able to apply constant pressure on Tom Brady for most of the game...until the final five minutes or so of the 4th quarter. Horrible run blocking...as the Bills' front seven generally controlled the line of scrimmage. The lack of a ground game was so pronounced that Brady threw the ball 53 times!! That dog won't hunt. GRADE: C-      4.) TEs and WRs: This group was outstanding, as usual. Randy Moss torched the Bills for 141 yards, while Wes Welker added 93 more. Good to see Ben Watson get involved...hauling in two Brady lasers in less than two minutes to win the game. Is Joey Galloway still on this team?  GRADE: A     II. DEFENSE: The Pats made Trent Edwards look like Drew Brees, as Edwards finished with a 114 passing rating. Though the Bills only had the ball for 22 minutes, they hung up 17 points on the "D". Too many tackles made by members of the secondary. The Pats must cross their fingers that the knee injury to Jerod Mayo is not serious.      1.) DL:  Was able to apply some pressure on Edwards. But, should have been able to dominate a very mediocre Buffalo OL. GRADE: C      2.) LBs: Good game by Tully Banta Cain, who was a thorn in the side of Trent Edwards for mosy of the night...and had a couple of sacks. Dumb penalty on Adalius Thomas after having Edwards clearly in his grasp...and slamming him into the turf after the whistle had clearly been blown. The early loss of Mayo really hurt...as there were far too many tackles made by the secondary tonight. Too many yards allowed on screens. GRADE: C      3.) Secondary:  As mentioned several times above, they made far too many tackles tonight...due primarily to the loss of tackling machine Mayo. As was the case last year, too much cushion was seemingly given to the Bills WRs. But, the Pats were able to pretty much contain TO, and Lee Evans. RB Fred Jackson was a pain in the neck on screen plays, and running the ball...as he finished with 140 all purpose yards, including 83 on pass receptions. Nice hit by Bodden to separate Evans from a 20 plus yard completion.  GRADE: C+ III. SPECIAL TEAMS:  Brandon Meriweather and Pierre Woods combined to strip Leodis McKelvin of the ball, allowing the Pats to steal this one. Stephen Gostkowski was 2/3 on FGs, but also chipped in by courageously diving into a pile of players to recover the aforementioned McKelvin fumble. Nice kickoff return by Maroney to start the game.  GRADE: A- IV. COACHING: The offense showed rust, and needs to be fine tuned, by the time the Pats arrive in NY. A monkey wrench was tossed into the defensive plans when Mayo went down with his injury. If Mayo is out for any extended time, the Pats, with their already thin LB corp, are in serious trouble. Pass rush showed some promise. GRADE: B- V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The strip of McKelvin, setting the stage for the go ahead TD. VI: PLAYER OF THE GAME:  Ben Watson...perhaps his best game as a Patriot with 6 catches for 77 yards, and 2 TDs.       Here is the box score: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290914017      Thoughts?             

I disagree on three counts:

1) QB.. Sure Brady was rusty in the first half, but on the last two drives he was brilliant and really picking them apart. The last two drives show why he is the most prepared QB in the NFL and how he is the smartest one. He played on Buffalo's tendency to go red 2 (cover 2 shell) in the red zone where CB play trail on #1, #2 receivers and safeties play over the top and the only way to exploit this is going up the middle, and he called for skinny post on Watson up the middle on man to man (because he knows safeties only go on vertical) and threw to his back shoulder for the perfect catch, timed perfectly for when the MLB turned to look at his man (Watson). This is f****** clinic football at its best. Grade: A 

2) Are you serious on grading the secondaries? Do you realized they gave up only ONE pass play for the TD? Do you realize they held TO and Evans to a total of FIVE catches? Moss had twice the yardage of both TO and Evans combined, and that tells a lot. There were also  a lot of hard hitting over the middle which is what we were sorely missing last year. Grade: A.

3) Coaching: leave it up to BB to play solid vanilla D and start pulling stunts only at the very end, on the last Buffalo drive that forced two sacks (although one came on the outside). My guess is he believed Jauron would coach his rookie OL to watch for tricks, but at some point (being rookies) they would let down their guard after seeing no tricks for most of the game.  Grade: A

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GR2009. Show GR2009's posts

Leon i know this is hard to say, but what is the record of the jest and the pats moron

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Bills @ Patriots Report Card:
    [QUOTE]     Please, burn those red jerseys...and never dress our team in them again. For most of tonight, the Patriots' performance brought back memories of the bad old days...until the Pats got extremely lucky in the 4th quarter. Thanks to an early Christmas present from Bills' CB/KR Leodis McKelvin, the Patriots escaped an embarrassing loss on national TV. This game actually has me feeling bad for the Buffalo Bills. This was a killer loss for them. Here are my grades: I. OFFENSE:  Despite 441 yards of total offense, and controlling the ball for 2/3 of the game, the Pats still needed a bonehead play by Buffalo KR Leodis McKelvin, to eek out a 25-24 win. Failure to finish drives nearly cost the Pats this win.        1.) QB:  Lots of work still needs to be done to shake off the rust of what was such a well oiled machine in 2007. Obviously, the Terrific One did not have his timing down with his receivers. Brady missed many 3rd and 4th down dinks and dunks for drive sustaining first downs, which once were so automatic. Horrible interception while under pressure, thrown right to Bills' DE, Aaron Schobel, handing the Bills an easy TD, was unforgivable. That said, Tom was his terrific old self in the final minutes...hurling two lasers to Ben Watson to pull victory from the jaws of defeat.  GRADE: B-       2.) RBs: These guys are of no consequence when the OL is not opening up any running room...as was the case tonight. Usual nice job by Kevin Faulk catching passes out of the backfield.  GRADE: C       3.) OL: Though the big uglies allowed only one sack, the Bills were able to apply constant pressure on Tom Brady for most of the game...until the final five minutes or so of the 4th quarter. Horrible run blocking...as the Bills' front seven generally controlled the line of scrimmage. The lack of a ground game was so pronounced that Brady threw the ball 53 times!! That dog won't hunt. GRADE: C-      4.) TEs and WRs: This group was outstanding, as usual. Randy Moss torched the Bills for 141 yards, while Wes Welker added 93 more. Good to see Ben Watson get involved...hauling in two Brady lasers in less than two minutes to win the game. Is Joey Galloway still on this team?  GRADE: A     II. DEFENSE: The Pats made Trent Edwards look like Drew Brees, as Edwards finished with a 114 passing rating. Though the Bills only had the ball for 22 minutes, they hung up 17 points on the "D". Too many tackles made by members of the secondary. The Pats must cross their fingers that the knee injury to Jerod Mayo is not serious.      1.) DL:  Was able to apply some pressure on Edwards. But, should have been able to dominate a very mediocre Buffalo OL. GRADE: C      2.) LBs: Good game by Tully Banta Cain, who was a thorn in the side of Trent Edwards for mosy of the night...and had a couple of sacks. Dumb penalty on Adalius Thomas after having Edwards clearly in his grasp...and slamming him into the turf after the whistle had clearly been blown. The early loss of Mayo really hurt...as there were far too many tackles made by the secondary tonight. Too many yards allowed on screens. GRADE: C      3.) Secondary:  As mentioned several times above, they made far too many tackles tonight...due primarily to the loss of tackling machine Mayo. As was the case last year, too much cushion was seemingly given to the Bills WRs. But, the Pats were able to pretty much contain TO, and Lee Evans. RB Fred Jackson was a pain in the neck on screen plays, and running the ball...as he finished with 140 all purpose yards, including 83 on pass receptions. Nice hit by Bodden to separate Evans from a 20 plus yard completion.  GRADE: C+ III. SPECIAL TEAMS:  Brandon Meriweather and Pierre Woods combined to strip Leodis McKelvin of the ball, allowing the Pats to steal this one. Stephen Gostkowski was 2/3 on FGs, but also chipped in by courageously diving into a pile of players to recover the aforementioned McKelvin fumble. Nice kickoff return by Maroney to start the game.  GRADE: A- IV. COACHING: The offense showed rust, and needs to be fine tuned, by the time the Pats arrive in NY. A monkey wrench was tossed into the defensive plans when Mayo went down with his injury. If Mayo is out for any extended time, the Pats, with their already thin LB corp, are in serious trouble. Pass rush showed some promise. GRADE: B- V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The strip of McKelvin, setting the stage for the go ahead TD. VI: PLAYER OF THE GAME:  Ben Watson...perhaps his best game as a Patriot with 6 catches for 77 yards, and 2 TDs.       Here is the box score: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290914017      Thoughts?             

I'd only disagree with QB and secondary. Brady clearly was working the rust off in the first half, which i wouldn't even count in grading him. He returned to vintage brady in the second half for which I'd give him an A.
    Secondary is vastly improved. Shutting down TO is no easy task but he was a non-factor. I noticed several balls shaken loose by hard, timely hits. What I did not see was Patriot DB's flailing around, 3 yards behind a receiver, while he's running downfield after making  a catch untouched. This has been SOP for the past few years. Our young, athletic DBs are only going to get better each game. Merriwether had the best hit of the game on the kickoff/fumble. I'd go with an A-.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

TexasPat,

Thx for the effort and time you put in writting your report card.
    After every Pats game I am looking forward finding it on the Forum and it has always been a real pleasure to read it.
    That was really a thrilling game because I thought everything was lost. But what a lapse of mind from McKelvin! It hurts to compare his blunder to for instance Stokley clever play... The idiot even put another nail in his coffin by saying after the game: "If it happens next week I am going to do it again".
    I don't know why the Bill coaches didn't tell him before the play to accept a touch back or to go for it, eat up time and just SLIDE.

Anyway a win is a win, that all what matters for now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

C- might be a fair overall grade but, once again, you are overly critical of the OL's pass blocking abilities, Texas Pat.

Very poor run blocking but the RBs didn't help out either. 

On pass blocking, it's really hard for any OL to shut out a pass rush when the offense is operating out of 4 and 5 reciever sets.  With the RBs and TEs split out, there SHOULD be pressure on the QB.  Theres not 5 OLs in the NFL that can consistenly keep the QB clean for a whole game under such circumstances and the Pats do as good as job as any in those open sets.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Bills @ Patriots Report Card : I disagree on three counts: 1) QB.. Sure Brady was rusty in the first half, but on the last two drives he was brilliant and really picking them apart. The last two drives show why he is the most prepared QB in the NFL and how he is the smartest one. He played on Buffalo's tendency to go red 2 (cover 2 shell) in the red zone where CB play trail on #1, #2 receivers and safeties play over the top and the only way to exploit this is going up the middle, and he called for skinny post on Watson up the middle on man to man (because he knows safeties only go on vertical) and threw to his back shoulder for the perfect catch, timed perfectly for when the MLB turned to look at his man (Watson). This is f****** clinic football at its best. Grade: A  2) Are you serious on grading the secondaries? Do you realized they gave up only ONE pass play for the TD? Do you realize they held TO and Evans to a total of FIVE catches? Moss had twice the yardage of both TO and Evans combined, and that tells a lot. There were also  a lot of hard hitting over the middle which is what we were sorely missing last year. Grade: A. 3) Coaching: leave it up to BB to play solid vanilla D and start pulling stunts only at the very end, on the last Buffalo drive that forced two sacks (although one came on the outside). My guess is he believed Jauron would coach his rookie OL to watch for tricks, but at some point (being rookies) they would let down their guard after seeing no tricks for most of the game.  Grade: A
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

An "A" for the secondary? Please. They were giving up lots of cushion, and didn't tackle all that well. As for your points on Brady and BB (on which I agree), you point out specific instances of fine play during the 4th quarter. When I grade, I take into consideration how the various units performed for the entire game. Surely, you don't rate Brady's boneheaded pick to Aaron Schobel, which handed the Bills an easy TD, as an "A" play, do you? Are we simply to ignore that because Brady performed brilliantly in the late stages of the 4th quarter?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]C- might be a fair overall grade but, once again, you are overly critical of the OL's pass blocking abilities, Texas Pat. Very poor run blocking but the RBs didn't help out either.  On pass blocking, it's really hard for any OL to shut out a pass rush when the offense is operating out of 4 and 5 reciever sets.  With the RBs and TEs split out, there SHOULD be pressure on the QB.  Theres not 5 OLs in the NFL that can consistenly keep the QB clean for a whole game under such circumstances and the Pats do as good as job as any in those open sets.
    Posted by bobomul[/QUOTE]

Bobo:

Overly critical? Due to the OL's pathetic run blocking, Tom Brady was forced to pass 53 times last night. What are the odds that he stays healthy, at that rate? When talking OL, you can't segregate the run blocking from the pass blocking. One compliments the other. Yes...Brady wasn't sacked much. But he was hit far too often.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

im wondering if its part of the gameplanning with the secondary.we are seeing this cusion they give,for the past three years.usually you see this if the players are not that good,but this was the first game.plus T.O,and lee evans were getting double teamed,and that left wilhite getting killed in the short area.if our guys could play man to man real well,it would free up a safety to help the underneath,or in the pass rush.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card :      An "A" for the secondary? Please. They were giving up lots of cushion, and didn't tackle all that well. As for your points on Brady and BB (on which I agree), you point out specific instances of fine play during the 4th quarter. When I grade, I take into consideration how the various units performed for the entire game. Surely, you don't rate Brady's boneheaded pick to Aaron Schobel, which handed the Bills an easy TD, as an "A" play, do you? Are we simply to ignore that because Brady performed brilliantly in the late stages of the 4th quarter?

1) May have confused tackling with what they did outside their area of responsibilities. When they were within their responsibilities they tackled well (20 of 35 team tackles came from secondaries).

2) Brady's "boneheaded pick" happened as a result of Matt Light getting blown up by Schobel. Schobel is one of the best DE in the NFL and historically has given Matt trouble.. this is why you had 7 OL in there with Vollmer at T and Light reporting as eligible TE. If you watch that play, you see Matt Light on the ground when Schobel intercepts that throw.

3) You have a good point in regard to Brady playing awful for the first three quarters. Overall grading should not be outstanding in that regard. The way I grade it is a good play can wipe out a bad play when it results in a W.

Sections
Shortcuts