Bills @ Patriots Report Card

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Bills @ Patriots Report Card

Please, burn those red jerseys...and never dress our team in them again. For most of tonight, the Patriots' performance brought back memories of the bad old days...until the Pats got extremely lucky in the 4th quarter. Thanks to an early Christmas present from Bills' CB/KR Leodis McKelvin, the Patriots escaped an embarrassing loss on national TV. This game actually has me feeling bad for the Buffalo Bills. This was a killer loss for them. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Despite 441 yards of total offense, and controlling the ball for 2/3 of the game, the Pats still needed a bonehead play by Buffalo KR Leodis McKelvin, to eek out a 25-24 win. Failure to finish drives nearly cost the Pats this win.  

1.) QB: Lots of work still needs to be done to shake off the rust of what was such a well oiled machine in 2007. Obviously, the Terrific One did not have his timing down with his receivers. Brady missed many 3rd and 4th down dinks and dunks for drive sustaining first downs, which once were so automatic. Horrible interception while under pressure, thrown right to Bills' DE, Aaron Schobel, handing the Bills an easy TD, was unforgivable. That said, Tom was his terrific old self in the final minutes...hurling two lasers to Ben Watson to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. 
    GRADE: B-

2.) RBs:
    These guys are of no consequence when the OL is not opening up any running room...as was the case tonight. Usual nice job by Kevin Faulk catching passes out of the backfield. 
    GRADE: C

3.) OL:
    Though the big uglies allowed only one sack, the Bills were able to apply constant pressure on Tom Brady for most of the game...until the final five minutes or so of the 4th quarter. Horrible run blocking...as the Bills' front seven generally controlled the line of scrimmage. The lack of a ground game was so pronounced that Brady threw the ball 53 times!! That dog won't hunt.
    GRADE: C-

4.) TEs and WRs:
    This group was outstanding, as usual. Randy Moss torched the Bills for 141 yards, while Wes Welker added 93 more. Good to see Ben Watson get involved...hauling in two Brady lasers in less than two minutes to win the game. Is Joey Galloway still on this team? 
    GRADE: A   

II. DEFENSE: The Pats made Trent Edwards look like Drew Brees, as Edwards finished with a 114 passing rating. Though the Bills only had the ball for 22 minutes, they hung up 17 points on the "D". Too many tackles made by members of the secondary. The Pats must cross their fingers that the knee injury to Jerod Mayo is not serious.

1.) DL: Was able to apply some pressure on Edwards. But, should have been able to dominate a very mediocre Buffalo OL.

2.) LBs: Good game by Tully Banta Cain, who was a thorn in the side of Trent Edwards for mosy of the night...and had a couple of sacks. Dumb penalty on Adalius Thomas after having Edwards clearly in his grasp...and slamming him into the turf after the whistle had clearly been blown. The early loss of Mayo really hurt...as there were far too many tackles made by the secondary tonight. Too many yards allowed on screens.

3.) Secondary: 
    As mentioned several times above, they made far too many tackles tonight...due primarily to the loss of tackling machine Mayo. As was the case last year, too much cushion was seemingly given to the Bills WRs. But, the Pats were able to pretty much contain TO, and Lee Evans. RB Fred Jackson was a pain in the neck on screen plays, and running the ball...as he finished with 140 all purpose yards, including 83 on pass receptions. Nice hit by Bodden to separate Evans from a 20 plus yard completion. 
    GRADE: C+

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Brandon Meriweather and Pierre Woods combined to strip Leodis McKelvin of the ball, allowing the Pats to steal this one. Stephen Gostkowski was 2/3 on FGs, but also chipped in by courageously diving into a pile of players to recover the aforementioned McKelvin fumble. Nice kickoff return by Maroney to start the game. 
    GRADE: A-

IV. COACHING: The offense showed rust, and needs to be fine tuned, by the time the Pats arrive in NY. A monkey wrench was tossed into the defensive plans when Mayo went down with his injury. If Mayo is out for any extended time, the Pats, with their already thin LB corp, are in serious trouble. Pass rush showed some promise.
    GRADE: B-

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The strip of McKelvin, setting the stage for the go ahead TD.

VI: PLAYER OF THE GAME: Ben Watson...perhaps his best game as a Patriot with 6 catches for 77 yards, and 2 TDs. 

Here is the box score:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290914017

Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card

Player of the game - Leodis McKelvin, thanks man!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

As for the O-Line, sacks allowed do not tell the whole story.  You need to count hits on the QB too.  The O-line has picked up right where they left off since the Eagles game in 2007; letting Brady get hit way too much.  Cassell got hit and/or sacked a lot last year, and all of that was blamed on him being a virtual rookie.  I think the other teams got the memo that our O-Line is overrated.  Brady cannot keep getting hit like this.  This was the Bills, how often will he get hit when we play a good defense?

Taking too many hits will eventually take their toll.  I think we did get better towards the end of the game though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Despite our QB protection issues, you could see signs that this offense could be very potent this year.  What I liked most about the game was that it reminded me of a typical game in our championship years; finding a way to barely win no matter who the opponent is.  The Pats should not be watched by people with heart conditions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

To think that the Bills are just another bad team is very premature this early in the season.  T.O. adds a whole new dimension to this offense and don't be surprised to see the Bills put some major points on some teams.

That being said, I think people are being too hard on the Patriots D.  First off Mayo got injured early in the game, you can deduct 7pts on the the Brady INT, and the Pats got flagged with two very questionable calls.  I like the speed I saw from this D late in the game and I only expect more improvement.  I give the Pats Defense a B.  OL a C, and the rest get A's.  Brady however, doesn't get a grade, he's always great! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

To give the Pats' deffense anything less than a B is ridiculous. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Offense:

They were definately rusty, especially the first half. Brady threw some bad passes, Moss and Welker dropped a few they almost always catch, and they couldn't run outside the tackles. BUT.....the second half passing game gave us a glimpse of what this offense can do. The preseason doesn't mean squat...it will take a few real games for the timing to get better. The second half passing attack was more indicutive of what this offense should be able to do. The timing got better as the game went on evident by several of the timing routes and completions between Brady and Moss. Brady was like 26 for 31 in the second half.
    As far as their run game.....the O line is much to blame. They looked mediocre with a few flashes of brilliance. They need to become more balanced to beat the better teams.

Defense:

Losing Mayo outright hurt us tremendously. I agree with Texas's analysis on the D, however disagree completely on the Thomas hit. Thomas let go of him on the way down and didn't "throw" himself on top of Edwards. It was a poor call. 275 lbs doesn't stop on a dime.

Wilfork.....loved his hustle. It is one thing to see a safety make a tackle across the field, but another to see a 350lb nose tackle make a tackle 20 yards downfield after penetrating 5 yards up field. Great hustle. He definately needs to stay a PAT.

Secondary was so-so. I agree that the loss of Mayo caused the secondary to make more tackles than normal.

The team is rusty. They will get better. Preseason doesn't allow for the kind of meshing that this team needs after being overhauled this off season. One thing is for sure though, if this is the team that shows up for the Jets, we will get beat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Good teams win even when they don't play well. A missed field goal here, a couple botched fourth downs, uncharacteristic drops and poor timing in the passing gamethere, an outstanding one-handed interception for a touchdown . . .

Correct even a little of that and this game could easily have been 34-17 Pats.

Finish with touchdowns instead of field goals and it's a blowout.

Okay, so the Pats stole one they didn't really deserve to win -- or more accurately, Buffalo didn't deserve to lose -- but much of what I saw last night looks correctable. The biggest question now is the status of Mayo's knee, and I don't expect to hear anything definitive about that from Belichick until  . . .

well . . .

ever.

A win is a win is a win.

Bring on Green New Jersey.

(ohhh . . .  and I like the red jerseys, and especially the old helmet logo)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card:
    [QUOTE]Player of the game - Leodis McKelvin, thanks man!
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

Can't feel sorry for McKelvin. When asked after the game why he decided to run that particular kickoff back, rather than simply take a knee in the endzone, he said something to the effect, "Thats' just me man. If I had that play to run over again 100 times, I'd run it back ever time."

Obviously, his coaches need to discuss the concept of situational football with this knucklehead. Speaking of coaches, why wasn't McKelvin told before the play to accept the touchback, should Gostkowski's kick reach the endzone?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]As for the O-Line, sacks allowed do not tell the whole story.  You need to count hits on the QB too.  The O-line has picked up right where they left off since the Eagles game in 2007; letting Brady get hit way too much.  Cassell got hit and/or sacked a lot last year, and all of that was blamed on him being a virtual rookie.  I think the other teams got the memo that our O-Line is overrated.  Brady cannot keep getting hit like this.  This was the Bills, how often will he get hit when we play a good defense? Taking too many hits will eventually take their toll.  I think we did get better towards the end of the game though.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Amen...hence the "C-" grade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]To think that the Bills are just another bad team is very premature this early in the season.  T.O. adds a whole new dimension to this offense and don't be surprised to see the Bills put some major points on some teams. That being said, I think people are being too hard on the Patriots D.  First off Mayo got injured early in the game, you can deduct 7pts on the the Brady INT, and the Pats got flagged with two very questionable calls.  I like the speed I saw from this D late in the game and I only expect more improvement.  I give the Pats Defense a B.   OL a C , and the rest get A's.  Brady however, doesn't get a grade, he's always great! 
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Wish you were my college chemistry teacher my friend, after seeing your rather generous grades. Lets be honest here...the Patriots should have lost this game...they were extremely lucky that Bills return man Leodis McKelvin (a) foolishly decided to return the Gostkowski kick, instead of accepting the touchback, (b) fumbled, and (c), that the Pats were able to recover his fumble (thanks to a rather courageous dive into the fray by kicker Gostkowski).

Yes...the loss of Mayo was damaging. But, theres' no excuse for the Pats "D" making Bills reserve RB Fred Jackson look like Brian Westbrook (140 all purpose yards...including 83 on 6 pass receptions). Furthermore, I did deduct the "7" Brady gave up, in my consideration of the performance of the "D".  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]To give the Pats' defense anything less than a B is ridiculous. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Uhhh...how do you rationalize the "D" allowing Bills reserve RB, Fred Jackson, to amass a combined 140 yards (57 rushing and 83 receiving)? Do you call that good defense? What say you to defend the "D" when a mediocre QB like Trent Edwards posts a 114 passing rating? 

When you consider that the Bills accomplished what they did offensively, despite having the ball for only 23 minutes of the 60 minute game, I believe that I was being generous giving out an overall "C" grade. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Offense: They were definately rusty, especially the first half. Brady threw some bad passes, Moss and Welker dropped a few they almost always catch, and they couldn't run outside the tackles. BUT.....the second half passing game gave us a glimpse of what this offense can do. The preseason doesn't mean squat...it will take a few real games for the timing to get better. 

The team is rusty. They will get better. Preseason doesn't allow for the kind of meshing that this team needs after being overhauled this off season. One thing is for sure though, if this is the team that shows up for the Jets, we will get beat.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Agree, Adam...the Pats were rusty, and the offense will improve as the season goes on. This team must be much sharper on both sides of the ball next week, if they are to beat the invigorated Jets in NY.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Good teams win even when they don't play well. A missed field goal here, a couple botched fourth downs, uncharacteristic drops and poor timing in the passing gamethere, an outstanding one-handed interception for a touchdown . . . Correct even a little of that and this game could easily have been 34-17 Pats. Finish with touchdowns instead of field goals and it's a blowout. Okay, so the Pats stole one they didn't really deserve to win -- or more accurately, Buffalo didn't deserve to lose -- but much of what I saw last night looks correctable. The biggest question now is the status of Mayo's knee, and I don't expect to hear anything definitive about that from Belichick until  . . . well . . . ever. A win is a win is a win. Bring on Green New Jersey. (ohhh . . .  and I like the red jerseys, and especially the old helmet logo)
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Sorry...this team didn't play like the Pats we're used to seeing in the red jerseys. Unfortunately, we'll probably see them in red again next weekend in NY.

You're a bit too optimistic, my friend. I agree that the Pats might have won a lot easier if they had only "finished" their drives. But, the Pats "D" allowing reserve RB Fred Jackson to Westbrook them for 140 yards concerns me...particularly with Jets' RB Leon Washington on deck next weekend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Oh great, this f*ggot is back with his report cards, playing armchair quarterback and handing out half a dozen C's to a team that rallied from an 11 point deficit in the final 5 minutes.  We all know you're a Cowboys fan, why do you keep posting on here?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Mpat-- TexasPat is a real PATs fan. Your name calling does not reflect well on you. It is obvious that many people enjoy reading his posts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

in the first half brady got an F.second half an A

the rb,s- B-
    WR/TE-A
    OL-D
    the defense got an F in the first three Quarters,an A+ the fourth quarter.
    player of the game-ben watson.savior of the game.mckelvin

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bills @ Patriots Report Card : Mpat-- TexasPat is a real PATs fan. Your name calling does not reflect well on you. It is obvious that many people enjoy reading his posts.
    Posted by TSWFAN[/QUOTE]

Thanks TSW. Judging from his rudeness, Mighty must be a Yankee fan. Yeah, he's right. I'm a Cowboys' fan. Thats' why I spend so much time talking Patriots...LOL!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JetsJetsLeon. Show JetsJetsLeon's posts

Pats Fans Grade-F-Go read the game thread and try to deny that ALL of you were ready to abandon ship for the season when the going got tough last night!

You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

Is there such a thing as an F-?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that.  I was wrong.  You're a good person, Tex.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeepguy2358. Show jeepguy2358's posts

Offense-
    OL -C Great to open the game.  Terrible in the middle.  Better at the end.
    QB -C Shows rust, but he will come around.
    RB C+ Everyone good except Maroney.  As he always has, runs too much side to side.  Get him out, put in BJGE.
    WR -B First game jitters as both Moss and Welker drop passes
    TE -A Great performance by Watson

Defense -
    DL - C Horrible.  Could not stop the run and until the end created no pass rush.
    LB - C Mostly bad.  Obviously the loss of Mayo hurt, but the Pats are supposed to be able to interchange player - Didn't happen.  They were getting pushed way too deep.  Pierre Woods got smoked all night.  TBC had a great game.  Especially near the end.  Always seemed to be around the ball.
    DB's- C Played well with the exception of tackling.  (Actually, the tackling goes for the entire defense).  I liked the hard hitting of the secondary.  Good change from the past few years.
    Special teams B+ Other than Gost's missed FG, he had great kickoffs and the coverage was awesome. 
    Coaching - 
    Defense- C-.  It seemed like the players on D were always in the wrong place at the wrong time. 
    Offense- C-.  I think the Offensive Coordinator grabbed McDaniel's playbook from the first few games last year.  You would think we have a bunch of old, slow receivers.  Throw that ball down the field already!  It's easy to game plan if you only have to worry about a twenty yard area.  Even if it's not there.  Throw it, to keep it in their mind!

Overall grade for the entire team - C.  Granted there were a few key plays that may have affected the score (Wilfork, Thomas, Brady's Int.), I was still disappointed.  Those are my thoughts on this game.  For the rest of the season, I am still very optimistic for the year and feel this team will take time to gel.  I think there will be a bunch of 38-31 type scores early this season, with the opponents scoring less as the season goes on, provided everyone is healthy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Uhh....this is how you rationalize. The Pats schemed to insure Evans/TO did not beat them. The LB's played the underneath route opening up the middle for the rb's/qb to takle advantage of the middle of the field. The Bills, to their credit did take advantage. But Kudo's to the Pats "D"...they followed the scheme taking Evans/TO out of the way, "daring" a middlin qb and back up rb to beat them.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Its always hard for me to grade the team, not knowing the gameplan (the D did a great job shutting the WRs down - maybe that was the top priority) - still, it looked like the Bills O-line was having their way with the DL and linebackers - I saw lots of sustained great blocks from the Bills that opened up their running game. 

I am bummed out about Mayo, too, I was hopng to see him really explode this year - I hope his injury isn't too serious... Towards the end of the game though, I thought Tully Banta-Cain really stepped it up.

Brady in those last few minutes looked unbeatable - we are so fortunate to have a player like that.

Anyway, a thriller.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Good to see the report card back for another year.

I'd give coaching a C. I wasn't happy at all with the play calling especially on 3rd and 4thdowns.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukebusy. Show lukebusy's posts

I hope the rest of the season goes more smoothly.  That was the least enjoyable Pats win I have ever watched.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that.  I was wrong.  You're a good person, Tex.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Mighty One.

Sections
Shortcuts