BJGE: 2d Best Back in Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

BJGE: 2d Best Back in Football

The Professional Football Researchers Association just came out with a rating system for RBs accounting for efficiency, in both YPA and fubles per attempt.  You can read more about the system at CHFF: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3810_LT%2C_TD_big_winners_on_%27rusher_rating%27_list.html

If you look at effeciency rather than volume, BJGE comes out as the #2 RB last year:

Surprise best of 2010: Brandon Jacobs, BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    Naturally, armed with rusher rating, we wanted to know which ball carriers were the most productive in 2010. We don’t have to normalize the numbers in this case, because we’re looking at players from a single season.

Once again, the results are surprising.

Arian Foster, for example, was the break-out star of 2010, with a league-best 1,616 rushing yards. But he was not necessarily the most effective running back last season.

That honor goes to punishing ball carrier Brandon Jacobs of the New York Giants. He was followed by a true shocker: BenJarvus Green-Ellis, “the law firm” who unexpectedly handled the bulk of the work of the 14-2 Patriots last year; and then Michael Bush, who shared duties with Darren McFadden in Oakland’s highly productive rushing attack.

Jacobs had an incredibly high ever per attempt and a great touchdown ratio: 9 scores in just 147 carries. Green-Ellis skyrockets up the list for obvious reasons: his 13 rushing touchdowns were second in the NFL (with 98 fewer carries than league-leader Foster) and he did not fumble once all year. That’s a very effective effort. Bush also had a high touchdown percentage without a single fumble.

You’ll notice from this list that rusher rating is much like passer rating in that it rewards players for efficiency, not for volume. Running more often doesn’t make you more effective as a running back, just like passing more often doesn’t make you more effective as a quarterback.

2010 Ball Carriers Ranked  by Rusher Rating (min. 100 attempts)

ATT
    YARDS
    YPA
    TD
    FUM
    RTNG
    Brandon Jacobs
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    Michael Bush
    Arian Foster
    Mike Tolbert
    Adrian Peterson
    Willis McGahee
    Rashard Mendenhall
    LeSean McCoy
    Michael Turner
    Chris Johnson
    Marion Barber
    Jamaal Charles
    Darren McFadden
    Ryan Mathews
    Chris Ivory
    Peyton Hillis
    Joseph Addai
    LeGarrette Blount
    Matt Forte
    Ryan Torain
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Knowshon Moreno
    Tim Hightower
    Justin Forsett
    Ahmad Bradshaw
    Marshawn Lynch
    Chester Taylor
    Ray Rice
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Thomas Jones
    Jahvid Best
    Steven Jackson
    Ronnie Brown
    Donald Brown
    Fred Jackson
    Brandon Jackson
    Chris Wells
    Cadillac Williams
    Cedric Benson
    Frank Gore
    Mike Goodson
    Shonn Green
    Felix Jones
    Jonathan Stewart
    Ricky Williams

Obviously, running backs are more than just rushers. They are also receivers. In our next article, we’ll include a receiving component to the equation in order to give a complete Normalized Running Back Rating System.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Re: BJGE: 2d Best Back in Football

How do the fine people at the Professional Football Researchers Association have jobs? This list is beyond stupid and has no correlation with reality. BJGE is a great guy and hard worker, but he is nowhere near a top 10 back in the NFL. In fact, he's very limited. He doesn't catch the ball well and he doesn't break off long runs. If Vereen is legit then I bet he takes a good % of the carries away from BJGE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

That's right, Pats got the best running back, best quarterback, best team in football.  Go Pats!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It's not surprising to me. These figures only account for rushing attempts not for receiving. Green-Ellis is a very efficient rusher. He is sufficient for his role with the Patriots.

I agree about Vereen. If healthy, he will play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

sad part is Danny missed the list by 3 carries. With 5 TD's, 5.6yrd/carry, and 1 fum (which he was injured on the play) he'd be pretty far up that list too

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

They're right about fumbling being important.  If Benny has zero fumbles in 229 carries, that's zero short fields for the opponents.  With a punter like Zoltan the Space Emperor in the wings, zero fumbles are the key to 14-2 success.  How many fumbles has the next RB made?

Benny also doesn't get negative yardage very much.  He doesn't put Brady in a hole on second down, and that always leaves the offense with a possibility of running the ball next time, so that opponents can't really lay back their ears on Brady with confidence.

Next, Benny's job on the Patriots is simply to get the ball farther upfield, not to rip off 30 yards after that.  We just watched an offense pick up first downs like nobody's business, and it crushed the stuffing out of many NFL defenses with up to 70 offensive plays a game.  The Patriots play a different game than any other NFL offense.  The other teams all try to score six points on every play, but the Patriots use every play to try to pound opponents into the ground like a tent stake. 

The only argument against Benny is the same argument used against Tom Brady:  he's on a great, great team so he alone isn't that good, it's the supporting cast of characters.   Well somebody or other has to be pretty good, and it's not the water boy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

In Response to Re: BJGE: 2d Best Back in Football:
    [QUOTE]How do the fine people at the  Professional Football Researchers Association have jobs? This list is beyond stupid and has no correlation with reality. BJGE is a great guy and hard worker, but he is nowhere near a top 10 back in the NFL. In fact, he's very limited. He doesn't catch the ball well and he doesn't break off long runs. If Vereen is legit then I bet he takes a good % of the carries away from BJGE.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

Thank you dog........this is my post under Players on the bubble.

Laugh now but since no one else will say it ,I will.
    BJGE...........not so much getting cut, that's not going to happen,but I can see him as trade bait. BJGE is like the average chick who happens to walk into a party full of hyenas(insert Laura Maroney). On the plus side,he's a great straight line runner with good vision who hits the hole full stride barely losing yardage and NEVER fumbling.Good to above average blocker. ON the not so plus side is the FACT that he is ONLY  a straight line runner with none or less impact on the passing game thus making substitutions easier for the defense.
    I love BJGE eternally for making me look like Nostradamus when I called for Maroney's head, but If Shane Vereen is healthy, he(BJGE) becomes an excellent short yardage,goal line demon...hell eat more, add 10 lbs and play some full back while you're at it....or BB can fleece someone again via trade while he's hot !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

I like Benny, too, but if he's so great, why did the Pats draft two more backs this year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

He's a solid back, never fumbles , but 2nd best in the league?  Don't think so.  Not a breakaway threat, doesn't scare anyone. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Don't forget best coach, fans and stadium too!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

I thought he'd be 1st.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

[QUOTE]It's not surprising to me. These figures only account for rushing attempts not for receiving. Green-Ellis is a very efficient rusher. He is sufficient for his role with the Patriots. I agree about Vereen. If healthy, he will play.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

The next iteration of the system is supposed to account for receiving as well, and no doubt BJGE will come out much lower then.  As you point out, this only accounts for rushing.

That being said, BJGE was an extremely effecient rusher last year, and that's something the average fan (who only understands highlights and what ESPN tells them to think) is going to miss.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

*puts on his patriot suglasses*

Oh my!!!!

he is so much better than Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson.  I dont know why I never noticed that before.

*takes off the patriot sunglasses*

oh, he is sh1t...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]*puts on his patriot suglasses* Oh my!!!! he is so much better than Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson.  I dont know why I never noticed that before. *takes off the patriot sunglasses* oh, he is sh1t...
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately a Patriot fan didn't write this article. Your argument would hold water if this statistical system/article was devised/written by a Patriot fan - but that's not true.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

this list has no connection with the game. jacobs did nothing last year.  BJGE is a nice rotation RB, but not much more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like BJGE, but this is the same web site that had Merriweather as the 4th best safety in the nfl or something last year.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BJGE: 2d Best Back in Football : Unfortunately a Patriot fan didn't write this article. Your argument would hold water if this statistical system/article was devised/written by a Patriot fan - but that's not true.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

Law Firm is pretty good nothing more. You can crunch silly numbers all you want and certain players rate well. When you take into account yards after contact, receiving, blocking, elusiveness and big play ability he doesn't rate against the top tier running backs. Period.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]How do the fine people at the  Professional Football Researchers Association have jobs? This list is beyond stupid and has no correlation with reality. BJGE is a great guy and hard worker, but he is nowhere near a top 10 back in the NFL. In fact, he's very limited. He doesn't catch the ball well and he doesn't break off long runs. If Vereen is legit then I bet he takes a good % of the carries away from BJGE.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

You need to understand, because clearly you do not, that Green-Ellis did what he did last year on a very pass happy team and a team that was really running the ball by committee.  His achievement is much greater than you indicate.  He does catch the ball out of the back field.  True, not often but when they did throw to him, he caught it and did his signature thing, which is that he then ran for positive yardage, which has always been the philosophy for running backs in the BB system.  The PATS have not had a breakaway running threat since Curtis Martin left the team in the Pete Carroll era and if you are going to raise Coery Dillon, I note that most of his runs for BB and the PATS were a lot like Green-Ellis', four and half yards and a cloud of dust.  Green-Ellis also has a nose for the end zone, witness the 13 rushing TD's.. 

The guy came from nowhere, was undrafted, has done nothing but work hard, be a team guy and produce and yet the stupidity goes on of denigrating him because he's not a marquee back with a big college pedigree.  You are simply wrong, this guy does what he's asked, plays his role and almost always generates positive yardage.  Perhaps you were a Lawrence Maroney fan?  How soon we forget.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]*puts on his patriot suglasses* Oh my!!!! he is so much better than Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson.  I dont know why I never noticed that before. *takes off the patriot sunglasses* oh, he is sh1t...
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT[/QUOTE]

You know this is a stupid post and frankly your better and smarter than this even if you are a fan of another team.  Just my opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

In the fantasy world of aggregate stats, players like Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer and Eli Manning are all better passers than TB (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1). Same with rushing--in fantasy world, someone like MJD is rated vastly higher than someone like BJGE (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2010&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go). Of course, it took MJD 70 more rushes than BJGE to get that aggregate number.  And he had only 5 TDs but still managed to lose two fumbles.  BJGE had 13 TDs and NO FUMBLES.  Which is pretty important in the real world of actual football games. 

In fantasy world, Arian Foster is the best rusher in football, because of his aggregate yards (327 rushes to get there).  In the real world of actual football games, with all those touches, Foster gives you 16 TDs, but fumbles three times, dramatically hurting your team's chances.  BJGE, with 2/3rds the touches, gets you 13 TDs and NO FUMBLES.

I certainly think we should account for receiving and blocking, which are critical to an RBs job, and including those statistics would make for a much more complete analysis.  But please, spare us the stupidity of "ripping off big runs" or "elusiveness."  That matters to Chris Berman and to casual fans who don't kow anything about the game.  Actual, real world performance in actual football games, which affects wins and loses, matters.

I think this sort of thing

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]  But please, spare us the stupidity of "ripping off big runs" or "elusiveness."  That matters to Chris Berman and to casual fans who don't kow anything about the game.  Actual, real world performance in actual football games, which affects wins and loses, matters. I think this sort of thing
    Posted by USMCM1A1[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke post? Yeah. Making people miss and the ability to be a home run hitter is not important for a RB. How about realizing Law Firm runs behind a great offensive line with the best QB and almost never faces 8 man fronts in compariston to say an Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson , Jamal Charles, Steven Jackson, Maurice Jones Drew etc who have  produced while teams gear up to stop them. The list goes on and on.  I can't even believe what your saying is serious. Law Firm is one of the worse yards after contact RB in the league which means the OL gives him a nice hole to run through then when he gets touched he's down. Your sipping Kool Aid hard. Making people miss and the ability to make big plays is not important for a runing back. Hahahaha. Be a comedian instead of evaluating a RB.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I've got no problem with the Law Firm. He does is job, but this is just another example of selective statistical analysis.

Start with a premise and then pick the appropriate numbers that buttress that premise, while ignoring or undervaluing anything that doesn't.

I would certainly agree that sure-handedness is often an overlooked quality in a running back. Everyone remembers the Brett Favre interception that cost the Vikings a potential Super Bowl shot two years ago, but if Adrian Peterson -- the consensus "fantasy superstar" isn't dropping the ball all over the field in that game, Favre is never in position to blow the game in his own inimitable fashion.

Of course, if memory serves, Peterson didn't fumble at all last year, although the Vikings did manage to go from the brink of the Super Bowl to the bottom of their division with surprising alacrity, so make of that what you will.

In short, and again, statistics can say whatever you want them to say.