BJGE FINED FOR CHOP BLOCK

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BJGE FINED FOR CHOP BLOCK

In my humble estimation this is a travesty.   

www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

Was it a legit 15 yarder?  Yeah, I suppose.  Was it an intentional chop block?  I can't imagine how any reasonable human looking at that replay could call that intentional.  The whole thing unfolded in a split second.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: BJGE FINED FOR CHOP BLOCK

I am just beyond confused with Goodell's policies.

Unbelievable.

He engaged the block before Light did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

This is utter BS. The only reason it was called a chop block was because Light touched the guy after the block.

This is silly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm sure the Union will appeal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow that is just insane. He was in the process of making a legal block when Light released and entered into a new block. Was it the right call yes but even the refs would agree that it was not intentional and never endanged the person being blocked

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Hank Hill would describe the degeneration of the NFL to "lawyer ball"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Putting obvious bias aside this is a totally B.S. fine. Should be appealed.

Also note that Woodley fined $12,500 for hit on TB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Now Goodel looks to balance the scale. What a joke! The politically correct league. Classic knee jerk reaction to all the complaints from defensive players. The NFL is too legalistic and it's ruining Pro ball. Can you imagine just how many fines the old Denver Broncos would have got for chop blocks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

*** puts hands up in the air and bows to the "Prophet Hank Hill" ***

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

He should and will appeal this.............Googell has lost his mind and is on the verge of ruining this league............I firmly think that. He is fining guys everything. He runs the league.......he don't own it........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

fines and/or suspensions should only be handed out if the player involved was injured. BJGE was penalized 15 yards, fair enough end of story, the player being blocked wasn't hurt so move on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

In Response to Re: BJGE FINED FOR CHOP BLOCK:
    Yea that fine is about 25% of his yearly salary....how the f*ck is that a fair fine?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I agree 100%. What about when Harrison went for Brady's knee?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm going to ask that the preceding post be deleted.  If it can't be, I'll ask that the thread be closed.  Sorry guys but I simply can't stomach this ignorant nonsense.

(Edit:  11-21:  The offending post was removed.  The offender was whitetrash gang or some such blather.  It was an ignorant, anti-Semitic post)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

He needs to be blocked, not just the post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dont-hate. Show dont-hate's posts

I may start watching womens Rugby if this keeps up...

All the hard hits with no pads. Pun intended...

http://buffalowomensrugby.org/womengallery/main.php?g2_itemId=158

Who knew Buffalo was actually competitive in any sports...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Godell should be the Commish of the national touch football league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's not as much Goody Goodell as it is the arbitrariness of the fines. Any given week you'll see two dozen borderline personal foul calls and yet not every one is given a fine or suspension. It's the Goodell grab bag of random fines. Until the league and the Commish's office come up with set fine and suspensions the system will continue to be random and arbitrary. I call and accidental chop block on a guy to save your QB from getting hit, a good play even if it gets you penalized 15 yrds. The health of Brady is more important than any PF call. Don't believe me, then ask yourself what the ratings would be like in an Indy vs NE  game without one of the star QBs.

As I have stated all along Goodell and/or anyone else will not be able to legislate aggressive hits out of the game. It simply will never happen. Especially when being aggressive can be equated with keeping your job (very true for defensive players).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Better for him to get the penalty and fine than not agressively blocking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Goodell is a lawyer and he's running the league like lawyers would do. Not trying to be critical of anyone here who is a lawyer, etc, but when you aren't a football person and put lawsuits, politically correct thinking and image FIRST, over the game, this is the kind of stuff you see.

The irony is, he then turns around and contradicts that concept in some ways.

It's very confusing.

It's like he goes overboard making a stand, but then turns around and totally contradicts that stand.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

Goodell has been a joke from day one. Belichick could have totally exposed him when the the "Spygate" thing broke. Everybody in football knew illegal videotaping and signal stealing was going on. But Belichick chose not to be a rat and took his ridiculous punishment for something everybody else was doing.

As for the BJGE fine? Yes it is outrageous. But it's not like he's going to pay a dime of it. His wealthier teammates will take care of it.

I swear Goodell and Stern are having some sort of contest to see who is the bigger a sshole. I still have to give it to Stern. As far as I can tell, the NFL still isn't rigged. Of course, we'll see how I feel about that after the Pats/Colts game and Lord Manning's customary half dozen bailout pass interference calls. Hopefully none of the Pats graze a small portion of his helmet while trying to knock the ball out on a 3rd and 18. Automatic first down and 50k fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Pete Rozelle made this league and Goodell can't unmake no matter how hard he tries.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Goodell has been a joke from day one. Belichick could have totally exposed him when the the "Spygate" thing broke. Everybody in football knew illegal videotaping and signal stealing was going on. But Belichick chose not to be a rat and took his ridiculous punishment for something everybody else was doing. As for the BJGE fine? Yes it is outrageous. But it's not like he's going to pay a dime of it. His wealthier teammates will take care of it. I swear Goodell and Stern are having some sort of contest to see who is the bigger a sshole. I still have to give it to Stern. As far as I can tell, the NFL still isn't rigged. Of course, we'll see how I feel about that after the Pats/Colts game and Lord Manning's customary half dozen bailout pass interference calls. Hopefully none of the Pats graze a small portion of his helmet while trying to knock the ball out on a 3rd and 18. Automatic first down and 50k fine.
    Posted by df2

Taping is not illegal.  I don't know how many times we have to say this. 

It's legal to film, the home team has to give the road team a specified spot by rule, so there is no "perceived" advantage with regards to scouting procedures provided by the NFL.

I still believe if this was not the Jets, the tape wasn't leaked on purpose or "stolen" and if the public saw what BB gave Goodell, everyone would  have learned that the Jets were trying to take advantage of knowing Goodell was looking to use an iron fist with his new position as commissioner.

Since there was so much of a sinister tone to the whole situation, framed by the jealous Jets and the media ("caught them redhanded"), once that tape leaked, it cornered Goodell.

He panicked and buckled to media pressure.  The jealous fans around the NFL wanted their Schaudenfreude day in the sun, and he delivered.

But, you can tell by the time the witch hunt finally wound down in the Spring of 2008, even by February, his comments tell us he caused more of a stir with the severity of the punishment v.s. what NE actually was in violation of.

He could have done that to Miami or the Jets in 2006, both in two different cirumstances.  Miami literally bought CBS/NFL owned property (audio), which is "technology" and they used it for future scouting purposes.

The NFL called it "just football".  

How is that "just football" and any team legally filming, but mistakenly in the incorrect spot in violation, somehow, magically so far worse, it's worthy of the punishment he handed down?

That makes no sense, especially when he does not hold up his own rule in the NFL ini 2006 when NY was in violation.  And that's just what we know.

These are just incidents we know about.   You can bet other rival teams in other divisions were involved with similar aspects of gamesmanship for years and years and years, prior to this.

But, no organization would be so pathetic enough to go running to the commissioner about it.

Since NFL gameday personnel never once penalized NE from 2000-2006 for road, on field filming, this tells me it wasn't deemed a violation enough to be penalized for OR the procedure was just to show the video intern a proper spot if it hadn't been specified by the home team.

That and the 2001 title game where Walsh filmed is the proof.  Pitt gave him a perch across from their own bench in broad daylight for 3 hours.

Why did they do that if it is illegal?  That's because it isn't.

All the Walsh tapes showed him on the road on the sideline and that's because teams either didn't provide the spot, didn't care or BB never asked where he should be.

It's just so pathetic and polticially correct in nature for Goodell to pretend the fans, who dug a little deeper for the truth, didn't know what this was about from the beginning.

It was a witch hunt and GOodell played right into it.

Hopefully, someday BB writes his autobiography and devotes a whole chapter to this with full immunity because it will be hilarious to see what actually happened.

Goodell couldn't just coome out and say because it would look like his league was corrupt and it's hard to sell la damaged product overseas or in Canada.

I have always stated NE should have been punished for a rules violation, but what happened after that, courtesy of Goodell's very poor leadership, is flat out disturbing.

The classy Krafts and the Pats organization were unfailry skewered to the point, 3 years later jealous fans still obsessed with the success continue to prop the witch hunt up for more than it was ever worth.

And we know why that is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

Pete Rozelle made this league and Goodell can't unmake no matter how hard he tries.....
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Remember what the NHL looked like in the 80s before Bettman got a hold of it? Stern is doing the same thing in the NBA- absolutely destroying it.

I think you may be underestiming the effect a misguided commisioner can have on a league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Misguided commish.  Doesn;t matter. If the game loses significant amounts of money Goodell (via the owners) is toast. With a large loss of TV revenue Goodell would lose his job simply by not carrying on a lucrative tradition with TV revenue. We can talk about hits and offense vs defense, but if the game loses money the commish will be the first person the owners (who have more power) will point their collective fingers at. A key selling point of the game is its overall aggressiveness; if that is extricated from the game than the game itself will lose fans and this will inevitably lead to some serious fingerpointing, mostly in the direction of Goodell. People seem to think he is some sort of god-like emperor of the NFL and he's not. If he doesn't accomplish what the owners want him to accomplish, he's gone and they hire someone new.

Sections
Shortcuts