BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

love hearing and seeing drew again. you can feel the man's pain still after all these years in regards to his benching. he said point blank he still likes tommy but he should have been named the starter and based on his performance versus pittsburghm he should have also been named the super bowl qb and he could have been the man bringing the first ring home as well. i must say drew has lots of good points, but i just cant see him winning that snow bowl game though... perhaps once the team had momentum, he could have settled the ship as well. 2002 the team regressed, perhaps with drew around, we could have had a second ring as well. who knows....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER UPON HIS RETURN IN '01, HOW DIFFERENT COULD THINGS HAVE BEEN (PERH...

That 2002 team had plenty of offense, it was the defense that couldnt stop the run.   The team scored 23.8 (10th) per game and gave up 21.6 (17th) per game.  The team was 31st against the run, so it really didnt matter who the QB was, the defense was awful (23rd in total yard allowed).  However, I still would want Brady over Bledsoe anyway.  The offense moved better with Brady under center.  Bledsoe was in BB's offense for 18 games (5-13 record) and Brady was in this offense for 17 games (14-3 record including a SB win).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER UPON HIS RETURN IN '01, HOW DIFFERENT COULD THINGS HAVE BEEN (PERH...

In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER UPON HIS RETURN IN '01, HOW DIFFERENT COULD THINGS HAVE BEEN (PERHAPS 5 RINGS)?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER UPON HIS RETURN IN '01, HOW DIFFERENT COULD THINGS HAVE BEEN (PERHAPS 5 RINGS)? : DID DREW not lead the pats to the promised land of the super bowl u moron? of course i too would take brady, i just wanted to provoke a little discussion and respect for drew. without him, there would be no brady. drew and parcells laid down the foundation that bel and brady got to build their lovely roof over. at drew's peak in new england, he was right up there, a top 5 qb.. brady clearly is a #1 hands-down at his best. we had a roethlisberger/drew brees, we have a brady/montana/steve young. had drew stubled upon a belichick during the wasted carroll years and played for another 10 years with said coach in gillette, he would have had at least 2 RINGS!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you CC.  Without Bledsoe, the Pats would be like Detroit (minus B Sanders) in the 90's.  The Pats were 1-15 Before Bledsoe, 2 years later they were in the playoffs, 4 years later in the SB.
    People forget how good Bledsoe was because when Carroll took over, he never addressed the O-Line and Bledsoe started getting hammered!  Everyone sees what Bledsoe was in his last few years in the league which wasnt even 50% of what he was in the early to late 90's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER UPON HIS RETURN IN '01, HOW DIFFERENT COULD THINGS HAVE BEEN (PERHAPS 5 RINGS)?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER UPON HIS RETURN IN '01, HOW DIFFERENT COULD THINGS HAVE BEEN (PERHAPS 5 RINGS)? : I totally agree with you CC.  Without Bledsoe, the Pats would be like Detroit (minus B Sanders) in the 90's.  The Pats were 1-15 Before Bledsoe, 2 years later they were in the playoffs, 4 years later in the SB. People forget how good Bledsoe was because when Carroll took over, he never addressed the O-Line and Bledsoe started getting hammered!  Everyone sees what Bledsoe was in his last few years in the league which wasnt even 50% of what he was in the early to late 90's.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]WELL thank you for helping me bring some sense and perspective to some of these kool-aiders. heck, had drew stayed with parcells for 10 years, he could have won 3 rings, without a doubt and would not have been roasted in the super bowl thanks to a delilah-trojan horse in a gissy!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER UPON HIS RETURN IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

That's BS. You always go with who's hot. In '69 Johnny U. went down, and when he was healed up, Shula stuck with Morrall through the playoffs and Super Bowl.  Shula made the mistake of bringing Johnny U. in the SB game too late thought ot relieve a very ineffective Morrall. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

drew didn't say that at all. he said at the time he thought that he should have had his job back but in hindsight he can't say that it was the wrong choice to name brady the starter. he said that he didn't have any idea that brady would be that good back then. 

drew played well enough in the afc championship game but he wasn't the reason why they won. the patriots were leading and brady had just completed a pass to brown putting them in steeler territory when he went down. drew threw a nice td pass to patten but also threw what should have been an easy pick into a steeler dbs hands that he dropped. 

its not even a controversy. drew played a big role in turning the franchise around and giving the patriots credibility. good guy and deserves to be in the patriot hall of fame. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?

Drew was always a class act. I'm glad he's in the PHOF. I wish the guy well in life. Brady was the guy to go with. Drew always threw is 30 yards down field. Carson Palmer followed in his footsteps IMHO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Drew Bledsoe is probably the second greatest QB in Pats history and helped make the pats contenders in the 1990's. He was actually a pretty clutch player who had several last second wins (I recall one against the Dolphins and the Flutie led Bills on back to back weeks in 1998, if I recall correctly). His career was a solid and honorable one who definately earned his first pick in the draft legacy. I remember a lot of people around here wanted Rick Mirer drafted instead of Bledsoe because of his Notre Dame pedigree. It's not Drew's fault that he was replaced by maybe the second greatest QB of all time in my opinion (sorry guys, but I still put Montana number 1).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

As far as I'm concerned, Drew should feel that way.  He was the starter and leader of the team for all those seasons and he could definitely have brought the Pats to the super bowl.  He had/has every right to believe that he should and could lead the team to the promise land.

Now, am I glad that BB made the decision,as it definitely worked out for the Pats.  Similar situation to SF switching from Montana to Young. 

The way he handled the entire situation was complete class.  Look at Reggie Bush...as soon as Ingram get drafted, he tweets goodbye NO.  Farve threated Rodgers like trash.  If the Colts draft a top QB to groom, I wonder if Peyton would flip or would he help the kid along. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Had Bledsoe not gone down that Sunday vs the Jets, I suspect we still would have made it to the Superbowl that year.  Brady has become the kind of quarterback Drew could only dream of becoming, but that particular year Drew was playing well and it was largely our D that took us to the SB that year.  Our offense didn't play so much to win but to not lose, and it was largely the foot of Vinateri and a swarming D that didn't allow a lot of points that won it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?:
    [QUOTE] Drew Bledsoe is probably the second greatest QB in Pats history and helped make the pats contenders in the 1990's. He was actually a pretty clutch player who had several last second wins (I recall one against the Dolphins and the Flutie led Bills on back to back weeks in 1998, if I recall correctly). His career was a solid and honorable one who definately earned his first pick in the draft legacy. I remember a lot of people around here wanted Rick Mirer drafted instead of Bledsoe because of his Notre Dame pedigree. It's not Drew's fault that he was replaced by maybe the second greatest QB of all time in my opinion (sorry guys, but I still put Montana number 1).
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]awon both games with a broken finger with pins hanging out of them... that would have put JD drew on the injured reserve list!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I don't remember the pins in the broken finger but your probably right because he ended up not being able to play in the playoffs that year because he reaggravated an injury on the game winning drive. I recall a Zolak lead team getting spanked by the Jaguars in the playoffs. That being said, Bledsoe was too much of a gambler, throwing too many interceptions. In 2001 I agree the defense was the key and with an unhurt Bledsoe they would have improved as the year went on but I can't believe he would have been as good a "game manager" that year as Brady was. Bledsoe was too much of a gunslinger for that team to win the superbowl. I do think in 2003 and 2004 they would have been contenders because of the defense but I am still convinced that only Brady would have been able to win those superbowls. Back then Brady never had bad playoff games like he has had recently.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Hey CC your an idiot. That team was nothing before Brady you are a true Contrarian. Bledsoe was a truely journeyman QB compared to Brady and to be frank CC i hate you for this statement and i'd wish you left the forum and never came back. Look Bledsoe had his time and did what he did and look what TB12 has done and he's still doin, get outside of your damn a ss you fool.  11 playoff games without a loss just go away man. Your a true idiot man just leave the pats alone. I actually despise your opinion and if you think Brady couldn't have won that AFC game in 2001 what sort of fan are you, you should be ashamed!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

FLINK Drew man he had years and did nothing Brady had one and did it all. If you like him more your a true fool CC. Your a serious fool man how could you ever say Drew should have been the QB. Did Drew ever once in his career show ice in the blood to march a team down the field and win the game, doubt it. He didn't do it in a superbowl. Do you think that team put it all together because of anything other than the momentum TB created. Your living in dream land man and I really feel sorry for you to be honest!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Belichick has said that Tommy actually had a better preseason than Drew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Wow! I can't believe the hatred for Drew Bledsoe by some people. Bledsoe was, in my opinion the best quarterback this franchise ever had before Brady arrived and he helped take the Patriots to the superbowl in 96. He did have  last minute drives to win games during the middle of a playoff chase. Bledsoe to Coates was one of the best QB to TE tandems in the history of football, or at least in the 90's it was. Doesn't anybody remember that great comeback win against the vikings when Bledsoe set the NFL record for completions in a game. That game helped jump start a 6 game winning streak that put the Pats in the playoffs for the first time since 1986. To this day I feel that was the most exciting Pats comeback I ever witnessed, or at least that I can remember. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Bledsoe was a decent qb, but by 01 he was done. He lost game 1 and had thrown 0 TD & 2 INT's (for a rating of 49.6) before being put out of his misery. Had he not been hurt, BB may have taken him out of that game anyway, or at least gave Brady shot in game 3.

Even in the AFCCG against PIT, he only completed 10 of 21 passes (47% & 77.9 rating) though he did throw a great TD pass w/beautiful touch on it,

My memories/opinion of Drew, in order: strong arm, tackling dummy, class act, intelligent, respected, but a bit overrated.

For a funny recap of 01 AFCCG check out:
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/7/5/939045/the-12-most-heartbreaking-playoff

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Re: BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?:
    [QUOTE]drew didn't say that at all. he said at the time he thought that he should have had his job back but in hindsight he can't say that it was the wrong choice to name brady the starter. he said that he didn't have any idea that brady would be that good back then.  drew played well enough in the afc championship game but he wasn't the reason why they won. the patriots were leading and brady had just completed a pass to brown putting them in steeler territory when he went down. drew threw a nice td pass to patten but also threw what should have been an easy pick into a steeler dbs hands that he dropped.  its not even a controversy. drew played a big role in turning the franchise around and giving the patriots credibility. good guy and deserves to be in the patriot hall of fame. 
    Posted by kjfitone[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! Bledsoe was and still is a total class act and never took the view that the change of the guard at QB should have gone any other way. When the topic came up Thursday afternoon in foxbourough during the meet and greet he had NO ill feelings about the way the team handled the situation or towards Tom. 

Also no fan who has followed the team for any respectable amount of time could have anything but respect and admiration for Drew for helping to make the franchise the respected organization it has become.

As far as comparing Drew on the teams he lead to the teams Tom inherited is comparing apples to oranges. Minus the combined efforts of the 01 to 04 teams that put Tom into the fore front of NFL history this argument comparing the two players would be much different. Not to mention the change in coaching quality and strategy that happened at the same time. Both QB's were and are of exceptional quality and made the absolute most of what they had to work with.

So to take the regrets of a man who wished he could have held the torch of leadership a little longer and twist it into a life long distaste for the way things played out shows nothing but disrespect for Drew and a total lack of knowledge of the man and his values. In fact he stated that he had the utmost trust and belife that BB had the right man in at the right time.

Why disrespect both players in trying to play one against the other?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The answer is now very obvious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

The Pats beat PittsburHGH thanks to Troy Brown, and no DB would not have accomplished what TB has done. DB was to slow physically and mentally.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I liked Drew... but he developed a habit of hanging on to the ball, and he took some bad hits and sacks.  He also had developed a habit of patting the ball 3 times before he released it...  and hopping.. hop hop hop pat pat pat release.  Defensed were starting to time him out and he was becoming less and less effective.  If you are arguing with 3 Superbowls you are insance.  Did Bledsoe win in 96?  I don't recall that he did.  Seems to me that he lost that one.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]I liked Drew... but he developed a habit of hanging on to the ball, and he took some bad hits and sacks.  He also had developed a habit of patting the ball 3 times before he released it...  and hopping.. hop hop hop pat pat pat release.  Defensed were starting to time him out and he was becoming less and less effective.  If you are arguing with 3 Superbowls you are insance.  Did Bledsoe win in 96?  I don't recall that he did.  Seems to me that he lost that one.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]great points. bledsoe would not have developed those carroll-induced habits had he suck with carroll or a belichik. bleds got worse as a free lancer. he was better than my second best all-time qb PHIL SIMMS (BRADY'S FIRST BTW) so if simms could win 2 rings (technically) so could drew. he needed to be controlled. if u saew the documentary on belichick you would see that tommy is just as easy to get delusional if left to his own devices. bb corrects him and he shouts back increduously.. no clue that his passes were way off the mark. a pete carroll lets that slide, a bb brings in facts and immediately stops it.

give brady a carroll early on and he isnt the brady we see today either. bledsoe had lousy footwork plus the pats of the ball and the gunlinger throws with happy feet. those teams were largely correctable for he didnt do them with parcells around, brady's best quality frankly is how he slides around that pocket intuitively and buys extra precious seconds in the midst of a pss rush!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

I always liked Bledsoe.  Kraft-Parcells & Bledsoe (probably in that order) were responsible for turning this franchise around. 

TB was much more of a game manager QB in 2001, but no, no way Bledsoe should have started in the Super Bowl. He tended to try to force things in big games.  In the AFC championship game, anyone remember that weird hook shot desperation lob right over the middle of the field he did in order to avoid a sack?  As Shenanigan says, the answer is and was obvious.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bledsoe deserves a lot of credit for turning this ship around, but he also was a pass happy QB who had to be practically wrestled by Parcells to do the right thing and hand off the ball to the runningback instead of audibling to a pass... he admired Dan Marino entirely too much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to BLEDSOE STILL BELIEVES HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE STARTER IN '01, COULD WE HAVE HAD 5 RINGS?:
    [QUOTE]love hearing and seeing drew again. you can feel the man's pain still after all these years in regards to his benching. he said point blank he still likes tommy but he should have been named the starter and based on his performance versus pittsburghm he should have also been named the super bowl qb and he could have been the man bringing the first ring home as well. i must say drew has lots of good points, but i just cant see him winning that snow bowl game though... perhaps once the team had momentum, he could have settled the ship as well. 2002 the team regressed, perhaps with drew around, we could have had a second ring as well. who knows....
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    Taking a contrarian view is one thing, Monday Morning Quarterbacking is another. You can "what if" all you want about how the Pats would have done if Bledsoe remained the Pats QB after he recovered from his injury. In all probability, in that 2001 SB, Drew could have done the job given the D won that one stopping the "Greatest Show on Turf". But, wold we have experienced the overall success of the 2000's with Drew at the helm for most of that decade? Who knows!