Blount In, Bolden Out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Blount In, Bolden Out?

After Bolden's return from his suspension, he didn't seem to play as well. Lots of competition at RB, only so many slots available.

Blount In, Bolden Out?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/07/legarrette_blount_set_to_bowl_over_competition

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Blount In, Bolden Out?

Will Blount play special teams? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Will Blount play special teams? 

Does Bolden really?

It's a fair question but provided Blount can hold on to the ball he provides a short yardage grinder that can get a couple of tough yards. Something the Pats have sorely missed. What does Bolden provide that Ridley or Vereen doesn't? I think that's where Blount will get the edge unless he really messes up in camp

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Bolden, pre suspension was one of the few who did play all 4 ST's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Bolden, pre suspension was one of the few who did play all 4 ST's.

He did but I don't remember him doing anything special that anyone else didn't provide. Unless he's a ST ace like Slater, Ebner, Edelman then he's replacable if someone provides something more than they can. Blount provides the short yardage RB we've needed, Bolden didn't provide that and was mainly just a body on STs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

Between Bolden & Blount, it will likely come down to who is more of an Ivan Fears guy rather than who can/will participate on ST. If the PED issue with Bolden was non-steroid and his physical ability & body type are undiminished, then I think he will be the third RB.

Once again, some very good football players will be cut from the Patriots pre-season roster. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He did but I don't remember him doing anything special that anyone else didn't provide. Unless he's a ST ace like Slater, Ebner, Edelman then he's replacable if someone provides something more than they can. Blount provides the short yardage RB we've needed, Bolden didn't provide that and was mainly just a body on STs

plus, maybe blocking for other RBs or protecting Brady?  Heath Evans was prolly our last "big" RB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Went to camp last Friday and throught Bolden totally outplayed Blount . . . Bolden look quick into the holes and he held onto the ball and caught all the passes . . .  BB is not going to go with a backfield of Blount and Ridley because that will mean at least 8 fumbles this year!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Bolden is by far the better player imo. I think if the Pats go with 5, it is between Winn and Blount. My bet is on Winn

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I thought Blount has a reputation as a big guy who wants to run in the open field, not move the pile.  A toss sweep RB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Bolden is by far the better player imo. I think if the Pats go with 5, it is between Winn and Blount. My bet is on Winn

I was very impressed with Winn at camp (quick of the line) was thinks he might clear waivers and get a spot on the practice squad this year . . . isn't Ridley's and Vereen's rookie contracts up after this year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

I was very impressed with Winn at camp (quick of the line) was thinks he might clear waivers and get a spot on the practice squad this year . . . isn't Ridley's and Vereen's rookie contracts up after this year?

Nope, they're both signed through the '14 season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bolden may have to be kept, if Ridley can't hold onto the ball than we'll need Bolden as the 1-A guy.  He has all the same moves as Ridley but hopefully has a better grip... You guys want to consider the improbable... Imagine if Ridley gets cut?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

blount doesnt block or catch and hes a head case, but hes also a quality runner. id like to keep both, but if forced to chose one i go with the younger bolden.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Bolden may have to be kept, if Ridley can't hold onto the ball than we'll need Bolden as the 1-A guy.  He has all the same moves as Ridley but hopefully has a better grip... You guys want to consider the improbable... Imagine if Ridley gets cut?!

after last season there is no way ridley gets cut. he has to improve his ball security, but his troubles are overblown. too young too talented to be get cut.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Winn will out last them all.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I agree.  I think Bolden gets the nod over Blount if it's close.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

That would be disappointing because Ridley is the first running back we've had in a while who shows a good combination of power, agility, and explosiveness.  Bolden ran well, but I didn't see the same explosiveness from him as Ridley.  He does, however, catch the ball better.  Besides his  fumbles, Ridley does not catch well, which limits what the offense can do when he's in the backfield. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Pats keep 5 rbs.  I don't see edleman making the team. He was Leon washington'd. If you think edleman will be a receiver then you don't have a lot of hope for the others.  One of the 5 takes his spot.  With Gronk out we could keep 6 rbs till Brady tha the receivers get on the same page and or Gronk is back. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I just want to see Blount play in a game, because until then I really don't know what he can do on this team. He did look like he tried to run a little too cute in Tampa for a guy his size, but that may be different here - Belichick has a way of changing guy's mindsets. With the exception of Vareen, none of our runners are going to look dazzling in drills, shells, etc...they need contact.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

I really hope Blount makes this team, the guy can pound the rock.  With Brady behind center, I see Blount as a possible next Corey Dillon for the Pats.  In Tampa, the opposing defenses had no respect for the passing game.

Yeah that's the thing - no one was trying to stop Tampa's passing game - the focus was on the rushing attack. It's so much different here, where the runners aren't the focus...it should be easier.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Yeah that's the thing - no one was trying to stop Tampa's passing game - the focus was on the rushing attack. It's so much different here, where the runners aren't the focus...it should be easier.

I'd like to see a bigger back on the roster.  Will be icing on top of the cake if he can catch and block too.....lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Shaun (Boston)

How is the RB situation unfolding? My 'old man' watched practice the other day and said Blount looked good. Or at least from what he saw. One has to think the missing time is going to affect Bolden. Do you think he's at risk to get cut? Can they stash him on the PS or is he out of eligibility?

Mike   (12:51 PM)

Bolden doesn't have practice squad eligibility, Shaun. He's also a big factor on special teams, so I think he and Blount could actually both stick. On Blount, it was only one play, but I saw one time where he and Brady had a miscommunication because it appeared Blount went the wrong way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Stranger things have happened. Ridley has fumbled during training camp - so, one wonders if Ridley getting his bell rung/knocked unconcious, might still be affecting him - plus, got into a fight with Arrington about a hit. the latter probably "violated" some kind of honor code for training camp - but also he's prolly still sensitive from getting knocked silly by Pollard.