Bob Kraft and Marv Levy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Bob Kraft and Marv Levy

I am not so sure.  That could very well be true, but we do know BB thought very highly of Belichick when BB was Def Coordinator in NE for 1996.

Wasn't Levy long gone out of Buffalo by 2000? I doubt an honest opinion from a guy would have been something NOT to be an issue.

Levy wasn't getting a paycheck from Buffalo in 2000. He left in 1997, so it's very, very possible that story is true.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

You are right on the money. That is the why I remember it as well and I'm not THAT senile yet.

There was the hope by some (especailly) that Coach Levy would coach here in NE but he felt he was too long in the tooth and elected to stay retired.
    Coach Levy coached the Bills, but he wasn't an owner and had been let go by the Bills.
    I also believe he was paid to consult. It wasn't like he was turning on the Bills as much as being paid to do a job.

Tell your friend that he is mistaken.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Bob Kraft and Marv Levy:
    [QUOTE]Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was talking to my buddy last night and I was telling him that back in 2000 when the Patriots were doing a coaching search, Bob Kraft brought in Marv Levy as a consultant to get advice on who he should hire. As I remember correctly it was either hiring Tom Donahue (former GM of Steelers and Bills) and Dom Capers as coach or hiring Bill Belichick. So Marv Levy told Kraft to hire BB because he said he was a brilliant coach and how his gameplan in the super bowl 1990 between the Bills and Giants was great and all. Anyway my buddy didn't believe me because he said Levy would never give advice like that to a division rival even though he was retired from coaching, he still had ties with the Bills. So a friendly wager was made and we tried googling to get the info to settle the bet but couldn't find anything. So if anyone here could back up this story and tell me who's wrong and who's right that would be greatly appreciated! If I'm wrong then I will accept it and buy him the cheapest 6 pack of beer I can find.
    Posted by Homecheese[/QUOTE]

You are wrong, Levy told Kraft to hire Pete Carrol and that is how we ended up with the dope.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not sure about the Levy thing (though it sounds familiar), but while we're on the topic of Pete Carroll--does anybody else think the guy sounds like a complete dweeb when they show his locker room speech on NFL network? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

If he beats the Saints he won't be a dweeb anymore. People will say he is a prophet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

I also remember that right after BB was hired, Ted Sarandes [sp?] and D&C had members of the Cleveland sports news press on their shows saying what a crappy coach BB was and how disappointed they were that BB was hired.

Reason being is that BB treats the press like crap, thus the Cleveland folks all took the chance to get one last jab at him on Boston talk radio. It still makes me laugh and reminds me how the press is biased.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

The Story is 100% true. Pete Caroll was already let go and Marv Levy did give Kraft that Advice.The problem at the Time was that BB still was working for the Jets. Levy told Kraft, if you really want your Guy BB, do whatever it takes. There were still some Players who had played under BB as the D Coord with the Pats under Parcells as Head Coach that Highly Recommended Belichick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayco. Show Jayco's posts

In Response to Re: Bob Kraft and Marv Levy:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bob Kraft and Marv Levy : You are wrong, Levy told Kraft to hire Pete Carrol and that is how we ended up with the dope.
    Posted by Clay73[/QUOTE]

Nope.

You are wrong!

Pete Carroll's tenure with New England ran from '97 - '99.

The Pats hired Belichick in 2000, did they not?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

Levy was a fine coach; an intellectually gifted man and great football ambassador--but he never achieved BB status in the game! To talk about this now is silly. If Kraft did seek Marv's opinion on hiring BB it just proves my earlier point!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

In Response to Re: Bob Kraft and Marv Levy:
    [QUOTE]Levy was a fine coach; an intellectually gifted man and great football ambassador--but he never achieved BB status in the game! To talk about this now is silly. If Kraft did seek Marv's opinion on hiring BB it just proves my earlier point!
    Posted by MinniSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Levy was indeed a fine coach, and seemed like a really great guy. He's no BB, but he took the Bills to 4 SBs in a row - they got beat every time, unfortunately for Marv, but that is still a heck of a run. 

They had a chance against the Giants, but IMO BB's defensive game plan foiled that opportunity. It was a great scheme that if I remember was geared to allow Thurman Thomas to get his yards, but he made sure that the receivers got jammed and hit on nearly every play. Sure enough, the Bill's receivers' arms got shorter and shorter as the game went on. Offensively, the Giants really ground it out with Joe Morris and OJ Anderson, who had a memorable run for a first down where he forearmed a would be tackler out of his way. I can still see that run in my memory, that was a heck of a play. Some blame Scott Norwood for losing the game, but I remember thinking that the game was lost before he kicked the ball. 

I think they also lost SBs to the Skins and Dallas twice.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Told ya.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Thanks for the responses and input guys. I'm glad people remember this. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Carrol that Levy told Kraft to hire unless it was a joke and after Kraft hired Carrol, Levy jumped out with a camera crew and yells YEAH YOU JUST GOT PUNK'D!!

Sections
Shortcuts