BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE

In Response to Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE:
    In Response to Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE : Not so much laziness. That's a built in aspect, but it's about money. THey make a ton of money off of doing this. THis is why it continues to creep in. This is why Bob Ryan writes this crap. He's actually correct in the premise, but do we need to hear another one of these on the cusp of such a great time? I mean really, Bob?  The thing that bothers me is the phony behavior. When Cowher tells Mazz and Felger he did what BB did, and they continue with it not doing their jobs as professionals, they come across as unprofessional and hacks. If Kraft had sued the Herald in February of 2008, I don't think you'd see any of this. The media pinned this on the Pats and BB because they could and it was a way to guarantee an angle with how they'd be able to make money. It's that simple. There are suits in a room asking ESPN managers how they're going to draw more clicks on a webpage with each team that is covered, especially the big players like this Pats organization.  NE is clearly a huge, huge moneymaker for ESPN and obviously the Globe. NE won 3 SBs, ESPN covered them well, and then realized they were losing money because a deep rooted jealousy was bubbling up with people/fans who were jealous.  I've lived out of market for a while in multiple spots and it's absolutely true. I rememeber people mocking Bruschi saying he faked his stroke to get more media attention diverted to NE. Yep. No lie. It's sick. I am telling ya. If you saw an objective anlysis here or with ESPN now, they'd lose money. That simple. This is why the Bruschi thing bothers me. Bruschi makes that work because he didn't want to move from Mass and commutes from Conn to Mass easily, but really, he'd be better off doing what Troy Brown does for less money or moving to LA for the NFLN. The guy has completely sold out and doesn't even realize what he's doing.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Rusty - I have always totally agreed with you about this - ESPN decided a long time ago that there was money is casting BB as the heel - and the NFL loves to feed that - they see that model works in the WWE and they know their own fan base

What is sad - as has been mentioned above - is how the local Boston media, rather than sticking up for the Patriots - help fan the flames because BB refuses to kiss their collective azzes

The one honest thing that Bob Ryan wrote is that this Patriot team - like all but maybe the 2009 team toward the end - is absolutely worthy of admiration because they play as a team - and stay out of trouble

Instead - all we hear about is the irrelevance of Spygate( what I normally refer to as Goodell's taping incident) - truly the single most overblown issue in the history of modern sport

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Fish lips Ryan needs to tap into that 401k (if there's anything left) and call it career. I'm just glad this stuttering (because I'm just sooo smart that multiple thoughts can flow from my mouth at the same time) is not on the radio as much anymore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Ryan and Shagnasty are of the same ilk as their predecessor Col. Dave Egan and like him are seldom out of their cups. Neither have had anything relevant to say since Chester was a pup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'm still trying to figure out how, exactly, the patriots benefitted from video taping the opposing team sending in signals to the defense. I mean, it's not like they were able to use the video during the game. And certainly the opposing team would change the signals for the next game. Plus, the offense was receiving the signals for their play at the same time. Were the pats able to video tape the defensive signals, analyze the tape to determine the defensive scheme being called, figure out the best play, communicate the play to the pats' sideline, who in turn signalled it to Brady all within the allotted time?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Unfortunately DWL, In any given instant when the rest of the world either dismissively concludes that there's neither point, nor value, as they can't figure out any way for anything to be positively gained by way of spending their efforts and endeavors on something...AND then they see someone who's a success (and as it relates here, "Someone who IS a success for whatever reason or collection OF reasons," period, point, blank)- And this "successful person" IS for whatever reason STILL deploying any parcel of his time or his efforts in an area of focus, which NO-One...not "Ah-eh" single 1 of his colleagues understands or even comprehends to be useful, or sees even the most trivial real use in doing....

Well when someone inevitably sees that successful person who even ostensibly DOES apparently see enough value in spending any of his/her time & effort on something that NOONE else sees as worthwhile, beneficial, or lmao, is even pointful...Well, deep down and If ya got the ego enough to recognize it, That person is 1 thing:  He's scary...  Because his efforts are utterly confounding & totally beyond your understanding on the why, & how...  And IF you have ANY aims at all that are within this guy's same sphere of influence...He Is certainly someone you really should fear and have certain concerns about. 

I'm man enough to admit that I would. 
    (I'm just not st#pid enough to believe that this aspect wouldn't be a concern...Lmfao-my "only" concern being totally objective "righteousness" and "fairness").

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

^^^^^and his twin
    Posted by harleyroadking12

bob ryan is a CLOWN....not even worthy of capital letters!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I slapped Ryan around a bit on the comments section, with my first comment actually censored. Speaks volumes. I've lost complete respect for Ryan and his career, because he's sold out.  He sold out to be a company guy here once the Globe changed their model in 2009. The irony is, the media created this Spygate crap and never challenged truth and fact, which is what they went to college for as Journalism/Commication or English majors. I don't where these clowns got their degrees,  but all of sudden being irresponsible, promoting libel, etc, is the way to go.  And, they still can't write about what she would be reading, which is explaining how ingenius BB's rebuilding is and that they are back in this position. Sad and disgusting, really.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Welcome back Russ.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

Bob Ryan used to be a great sports writer. When I was younger I felt priviledged to be able to pick up the daily globe and read him writing about the Celtics, and Gammons on baseball, and McDonough on Football, and Leigh Montville, and even Ron Borges. Those days are sadly long gone. He's still better than Shaughnessy (who is a hack, and pretty much always has been) but he's really just a shadow of himself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE : Common sense does not rule in this matter.  This will never go away for the haters ( who are fans and not in the know football folks, except for some ignorant few) as a way to diminish all that the Pats have done since 2001. 
    Posted by agcsbill

it ill never go away because we won 4 rings and are looking for a 4th.
    if we're a bottom feeder team the story would have never been big media.
    broke the rules  regarding WHERE you can film from(which many teams were doing), that's all)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

You know what really aggravates me now about the whole Spygate thing? It's the fact that four-plus years later, the NFL still doesn't even seem to know what the rule regarding videotaping from the sidelines actually is.

Remember the first Jets game this year in Foxboro? The guy with the lime green vest on the NYJ sideline filming the field?

Apparently that's OK---all of the NFL's media lapdogs like Florio instantly tweeted that it was "nothing to see here; had a lime green vest on; works for the Jets' weekly TV show in New York; well within the rules."

Wait. What?

Taping from the sidelines is well within the rules if you have a lime green vest on and say you're taping for the team's weekly TV show?

Damn...why didn't Belichick just get Matt Estrella a lime green vest and a "Patriots All Access" media pass then, right?

Oh, maybe because that sort of thing being legal was NEVER mentioned by anyone at the time. Was it even "legal" to do that back then? Wear a lime green vest and film from the sideslines?

What's the rule Mr. Goodell? What is it, really? Why didn't your precious memo from four years ago mention the lime green vest anyway?

What a crock.

Ryan and the rest of his media maggot friends need to get it through their thick skulls: Goodell punished BB ludicrously hard because he was PO'd about the memo being ignored, period. The "crime" was not even a crime; it was much ado about nothing.

Then, when "Red Light" Goodell realized what a mess he'd made of the whole thing, he began backtracking, but by then it was too late. The Belichick-hating media smelled blood in the water, and the feeding frenzy was on.

Lime green vests? Really? That makes it OK?

Four years later, even the league doesn't know what the rule actually is.

That's the impression that I get anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

You know what really aggravates me now about the whole Spygate thing? It's the fact that four-plus years later, the NFL still doesn't even seem to know what the rule regarding videotaping from the sidelines actually is. Posted by hardright

Not sure if anyone else remembers, but about 3 years ago on here (give or take), some troll came on this forum railing on and on about Spygate...  Specifically, the guy started mentioning Belichick's take that "He didn't fully understand the rules," and how it was load of B-.  So hilariously, the guy went out, found, then cut and pasted 3 seperate NFL Front Office takes on team videotaping...1 was the NFL Rulebook, 1 was a NFL FO memo from the year before The SpyGate thing, and 1 was the NFL FO memo that was sent to teams before training camp that '07-'08 season...

You couldn't even try to make up the descripancies and contradictions within these ALL-correct (because not 1 said otherwise of having any greater or lesser value)- amongst these 3 different (again=LEAGUE declarations on what the rule actually was): 1 said NO videotaping allowed at all (and insanely, time-wise it was the middle one that said this), then 1 of the 2 others said, Videotaping was allowed (and it offered ZRO mention on the "where" specifics), but it had to be done by team staff in some fashion where said team staff member had no way of giving it to the coaching staff within the same game (something like this); The 3rd was by far THE best: It stated how NO videotaping was allowed (o.k...everybody got this?).  Then in the very next set of phrases, it said, that Any and ALL videotaping must be done in an enclosed structure, with at least some simple form of side enclosure, some roof enclosure, but the front (window or not) was not emphasized...  LMAO, Even FURTHER, it started offering different conditions on where you COULD also videotape (i.e. areas devoid of ANY roof, side, or what-have-you type of "enclosure").

IF Bill Belichick actually wanted to push the intrepretative aspects of these things (apparently ALL of which, were "The Rules"), he could have.  Not sure that BB going the loud, open, legal courtroom, media further st#nk, Would be anything he would personally enjoy (compared with some simplier form of actual bloody torture). 
    It was however, A Perfect Roger Goodell Collection of Rules: Set mandates fully open to various forms of intrepretation.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

It's Super Bowl week and the media is going to dig up dirt every chance they get. Let's not forget the huge distraction the Patriot organization had to deal with the last time the Patriots were in the SB. Tomase couldn't back up his non story but he and the press couldn't help themselves.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE : Yup. I forgot about that this year.  That's what is annoying. Any team can try to smear another and then corner Goodell. There's really quality control process in place. Wyy not just employ NFL personnel to all shoot the games the same way? None of it ever made sense. If you truly were fearful ablut compromised signals that were recorded for potential future use, there is no way you'd allow filming. We have no idea what that Jets person had on film this year. No idea. Technically, you could clip any team's in-game video scouting tape and then just broadcast it and frame it in such a way, that any coach on camera is now available to be studied for hand signals or whatever else. Estrella was way out front like that in the Jets' face in 2007 because they were trying to mess with Mangini.  At worst it's a "hey, Jets and Pats, knock this crap off" and it's a fine or something. Without question, the greatest witch hunt and most overblown sports story in this country's history.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

There was a guy over on the ESPN boards a few years ago calling himself "NE Insider"--he claimed to be, naturally, an "insider" down in Foxboro...who knows if it was true or not, but he did post some pretty interesting stuff.

One of the things he posted, after Spygate, was that "we did it (videotaping) to mess with the other team's head and make them take extra precautions about their signals...we gained nothing from it otherwise because 99% of the time those signals are changed by the next time we play that team, and also, regular film study reveals everything we need to know about other team's tendencies anyway."

I'm paraphrasing, of course, but he was basically saying that it was gamesmanship or a form of "psychological warfare", and nothing else.

Again, don't know if the guy was for real or not, but his take on it was interesting to say the least (and it makes perfect sense, since the vast majority of NFL coaches are smart enough to change their signals every few weeks anyway).

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE":
    In Response to Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE : Not sure if anyone else remembers, but about 3 years ago on here (give or take), some troll came on this forum railing on and on about Spygate...  Specifically, the guy started mentioning Belichick's take that "He didn't fully understand the rules," and how it was load of B-.  So hilariously, the guy went out, found, then cut and pasted 3 seperate NFL Front Office takes on team videotaping...1 was the NFL Rulebook, 1 was a NFL FO memo from the year before The SpyGate thing, and 1 was the NFL FO memo that was sent to teams before training camp that '07-'08 season... You couldn't even try to make up the descripancies and contradictions within these ALL-correct (because not 1 said otherwise of having any greater or lesser value)- amongst these 3 different (again=LEAGUE declarations on what the rule actually was): 1 said NO videotaping allowed at all (and insanely, time-wise it was the middle one that said this), then 1 of the 2 others said, Videotaping was allowed (and it offered ZRO mention on the "where" specifics), but it had to be done by team staff in some fashion where said team staff member had no way of giving it to the coaching staff within the same game (something like this); The 3rd was by far THE best: It stated how NO videotaping was allowed (o.k...everybody got this?).  Then in the very next set of phrases, it said, that Any and ALL videotaping must be done in an enclosed structure, with at least some simple form of side enclosure, some roof enclosure, but the front (window or not) was not emphasized...  LMAO, Even FURTHER, it started offering different conditions on where you COULD also videotape (i.e. areas devoid of ANY roof, side, or what-have-you type of "enclosure"). IF Bill Belichick actually wanted to push the intrepretative aspects of these things (apparently ALL of which, were "The Rules"), he could have.  Not sure that BB going the loud, open, legal courtroom, media further st#nk, Would be anything he would personally enjoy (compared with some simplier form of actual bloody torture).  It was however, A Perfect Roger Goodell Collection of Rules: Set mandates fully open to various forms of intrepretation.    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium
    I for one, would LOVE TO SEE the facts as well as the legal arguments on both sides of spygate presented in an open legal courtroom. This case BEGS for a lawsuit just to CLEAR THE AIR, if not for the proper historical context. We have seen a clear abuse of power from goodell. When is the injustice large enough to supersede the "private club enterprise" or whatever the NFL is operating under...? The irony is the respect BB has for history which has him front and center and rising. Goodell can't change that but the next commissioner might want to clarify this murky issue that Goodell botched and left behind.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE":
    In Response to Re: BOB RYAN writes about SPYGATE : There was a guy over on the ESPN boards a few years ago calling himself "NE Insider"--he claimed to be, naturally, an "insider" down in Foxboro...who knows if it was true or not, but he did post some pretty interesting stuff. One of the things he posted, after Spygate, was that "we did it (videotaping) to mess with the other team's head and make them take extra precautions about their signals...we gained nothing from it otherwise because 99% of the time those signals are changed by the next time we play that team, and also, regular film study reveals everything we need to know about other team's tendencies anyway." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but he was basically saying that it was gamesmanship or a form of "psychological warfare", and nothing else. Again, don't know if the guy was for real or not, but his take on it was interesting to say the least (and it makes perfect sense, since the vast majority of NFL coaches are smart enough to change their signals every few weeks anyway). Posted by hardright
    Gamesmanship, exactly.... I speculated on that in earlier post. Again, if this is true does it make it less of a violation ? The other thing is you don't need film in the camera to accomplish this. (wish they thought of that to cover their a$s). Point a camera at people and they do stupid things. It worked at bikey week in Laconia NH(weirs beach)... Pointed a camera at the bikes going by in the slow parade... Very entertaining ...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from msts-1. Show msts-1's posts

When it was first made known that the Patriots/Belichick were facing disciplinary action for filming The rule was xplained. A memo had come out the previous year to restrict any filming of the NFL sidelines, from the sidelines, to the NFL. The NFL wanted to control all video and audio content from games so that it could be marketed solely through NFL Films. There was no talk of any compettive advantage being held/lost because all the games are filmed from throughout the stadiums for use during the game. Asst coaches are up in the box filming and sending pix down immediately. Filming is allowed in the first row and anywhere else. It was the sidelines the NFL wanted to control and that's why the Pats were fined.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

And the obvious is, WHY would you put someone in broad daylight if you knew the punishment would be 1 million bucks a 1st rd pick and a witch hunt that would carry on for years later? This is the problem and what Goodell failed to understand.  It should have been a small fine for BB, a warning into the Jets direction and that's it. Clarify the rule to each team directly and then warn all other teams no antics will be tolerated.  I loved it when the media said the punishment wasns't enough and Goodell was beside himself saying it was plenty stiff. Goodell was completely unaware of the history of how the rules were applied pre 2006, and he was also unaware of the behind the scenes manevuring by teams who were/are supremely jealous of the Pats organization. These teams then used the media to continue to pester and prod the situation, obviously lying and then talking to Matt Walsh, a pathological liar.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

I still think Goodell would have punished the BB and the Pats more if he hadn't done his wife and his friends at FOX the favor of handing over copies of the tapes to them. The question of how they got to his wife's employers at FOX was never answered. Goodell's only choice after that little tidbit got out was to make the whole thing go away as quickly as possible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

And the obvious is, WHY would you put someone in broad daylight if you knew the punishment would be 1 million bucks a 1st rd pick and a witch hunt that would carry on for years later? This is the problem and what Goodell failed to understand.  It should have been a small fine for BB, a warning into the Jets direction and that's it. Clarify the rule to each team directly and then warn all other teams no antics will be tolerated.  I loved it when the media said the punishment wasns't enough and Goodell was beside himself saying it was plenty stiff. Goodell was completely unaware of the history of how the rules were applied pre 2006, and he was also unaware of the behind the scenes manevuring by teams who were/are supremely jealous of the Pats organization. These teams then used the media to continue to pester and prod the situation, obviously lying and then talking to Matt Walsh, a pathological liar.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Two excellent points.

1--it was being done in broad daylight by a guy wearing Pats' gear...how was it "secretive" or "spying"?

2--the media saying the punishment wasn't enough was the height of insanity; the Broncos' and 49ers' salary cap cheating--a far, far worse crime when it comes to "competitive advantages" over other teams--was given a slap on the wrist by Goodell's predecessor; now THOSE punishments were insufficient, for sure. The punishment of BB and the Pats was insane and excessive.

It was all about media hate for Belichick after the incident occurred and Goodell overreacted to it (because he was PO'd about the memo being ignored).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Exactly... A small fine.... Justice. Common sense reality with all facts on the table. Yeah but how could ANYONE have imagined the hysteria that caused that ridiculous penalty? This goes to why doesn't Kraft have the desire to clear it up for history, or his own legacy? Is he so rich that the money doesn't matter...? He's clean because BB was the fall guy? Or is he just being extorted to accept it. He and Gpodell may be fast friends but Kraft is close to looking like a fool as Goodell clearly screwed his team. Of course Roger is buddy buddy now... That's how people act when they're guilty. What a complete D!CK...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

I read that article by Ryan the day it came out and could only think why Bob? Why would a local writer go out of his way to bring this crappola back up again just before the Super Bowl?  I don't read the New York papers but I wonder if any of the NY Sports Writers are writing real negative "do do" about the Giants going into the Super Bowl like our local writers write "do do" about the Patriots.  

I think the last time I watched ESPN's Around The Horn was when I saw Woody Paige go off on the Patriots while screaming his love for Tebow and the Denver Broncos.  When it came time for Ryan to speak he was a little Wimp and appeared very reluctant to give a lot of credit to the Patriots.

I don't like it when National Writers and Talking Heads dump all over the Patriots but I can understand it.  However, while leading up to the Biggest Game of the year to have our local writers write this kind of Junk is an absolute travesty.

I don't know what kind of a local fan base Ryan is trying to appeal to.  I know I won't read him again.

And FWIW, thanks to "Scoops Tomase", no matter how hard I try to read the Herald, I just can't do it.   

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts