BOBBY McCRAY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

BOBBY McCRAY

I wonder if Bill has any interest in DE Bobby McCray who was just released by the Saints.  Pretty fair pass rusher who might be able to play OLB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Re: BOBBY McCRAY

In Response to Re: BOBBY McCRAY:
    We dont need a "Might be able to play OLB" we already have those, what we need is a solid OLB.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Bill was more than willing to try that experiment with Julius Peppers for about $80 Million - it is not that much of a stretch as you might think.  Remember a young Mike Vrabel?????

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'll take a 6'6 260 # edge rusher with 7 1/2 sacks for a superbowl team and is 28 years old, aslo Russ I wouldnt mind another guy to blitz with TBC. I think he is an upgrade over Burgess and could have an immediate impact. We have some beef with Warren n Warren and Vince. We could use a guy that plays with his hand down and can put pressure on the QB. Might be able to sign him for one year only, considering the labor situation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

I'll take a 6'6 260 # edge rusher with 7 1/2 sacks for a superbowl team and is 28 years old, aslo Russ I wouldnt mind another guy to blitz with TBC. I think he is an upgrade over Burgess and could have an immediate impact. We have some beef with Warren n Warren and Vince. We could use a guy that plays with his hand down and can put pressure on the QB. Might be able to sign him for one year only, considering the labor situation.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Actually, its 7 1/2 sacks over the last 2 seasons if Im not mistaken. But it cant hurt to take a look at him. He'll be 29 going into the season which is still young enough to contribute on special teams(maybe?). So he'd technically have more more value than Burgess and if he was able to play in our scheme at his size he'd be a nice addition ofr the future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: BOBBY McCRAY : Who do you cut then?   You have Mike Wright here with Pryor and they drafted Deaderick.  Those are the 4-3 DE types with others also in the mix in that area. You can't just ask a DE at age 29 to stand up and play OLB in this defense. I am not saying it can't happen, but it's really difficult. It's a whole different approach and why BB and other 3-4 teams passed on Jerry Hughes in Round 1. If he came ultra cheap, sure. I just think many teams will be looking to bid on him.
    Posted by russgriswold

Good point. But didnt Burgess do that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

...and what kind of success did Burgess have? 

Bringing in McCray will take time away from Cunningham, Burgess and Crable who need a chance to see if they can do the job.  McCray just clouds the issue with no guarantees.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I know Pryor has some potential as well as the young players we drafted. i think with the young defense we have it couldn't hurt to add some veteran(superbowl) experience into the mix. At least in training camp and preseason to add some competition. We have a lot of big body's but other then Wilfork and Ty Warren I would say we have no guaranteed impact defensive line players.

Who says DE always has to play olb in our system. Willie Mac and Vrabel are gone they were unique players. TBC and Burgess can't play much olb at all. Burgess is primarily used on pass rushing and Im not enthusiastic ha has too much gas left in the tank.

Don't get me wrong I love the draft we had and I think we have lots of unproven potential but I would like to see us take a shot at a guy who has done it before.

I think 7 1/2 sacks with 45 plus tackles is what I read.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

When was Bill willing to pay 80 million for Peppers did I miss something? Cause from what I recall anytime Bill was asked about Peppers he dodged the question so how exactly do you know what he was willing to do? And if he did say he was willing to make that deal can to please give us a link to back up what you say? thanks.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Just prior to Peppers signing with the Bears for $100 Millon, it was reported that Bill had a last minute offer of $80 Million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

...and what kind of success did Burgess have?  Bringing in McCray will take time away from Cunningham, Burgess and Crable who need a chance to see if they can do the job.  McCray just clouds the issue with no guarantees.
    Posted by garytx

Burgess and Crable haven't won a position as yet and Bill loves having competition during the preseason. I just see McCray as a possible Mike Vrabel type player at OLB.  I would have him in here in a heartbeat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Posted by TrueChamp

He had some nice numbers for the Playoffs and Super Bowl games so you know he can play well against good talent in big games.  I am just not sure why they released him. They did bring in a couple of other DEs but I would certainly take a good look at this kid as he is a playmaker in the money games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Plus this kid is no Mike Vrabel. We might not ever see another Vrabel or Bruschi on this team. They aint walking through that door.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Vrabel and Bruschi were role players in the Pats defense. Superb role players. One of Bill's best abilities is to project players into the roles which he feels they have the skill set which allows them to flourish in these different roles.  McCray might project as an OLB as he reminds me of Willie McGinest.  I am sure Bill and his staff have had some thoughts about this kid when he became available.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

it'd difficult to expect someone to come flying in like Burgess did last year and adapt quickly at OLB in a 3-4.

I personally don't think Burgess played all that well. We had virtually no pressure on the QB and our corners had to cover for what seemed like 10 seconds a play. I hope hes a good backup this year but someone beats him out for the starting position. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

[QUOTE]"Just prior to Peppers signing with the Bears for $100 Millon, it was reported that Bill had a last minute offer of $80 Million. " - Clay Reported? Since when does "reported" equate to it being a fact? You have no idea if we offered him 80 million dollars what so ever you are making a guess and not even an educated guess you are going off of speculation.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE

Agree on your point with regard to the issue of $80 Million as reported. But I think you are missing the fact that Bill was in the "hunt" for Peppers during the process but we are not sure of how much was offered. Bill loves to take a smaller DE and convert them to a OLB as it makes a lot of sense in his defense. And we are not really sure how much money has been offered to Logan Mankins. Do I think the $35 Million is a legit figure - probably not and what kind of guaranteed money has been offered??? Do we ever know the truth with regard to these deals????