Bodden Demoted?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Bodden Demoted?

The Patriots have "demoted" Leigh Bodden to nickel back, though he still played 66-of-77 snaps in Monday night's opener.

Rookie Ras-I Dowling is now the first-team right cornerback. The Pats were in their nickel package for virtually the entire game, so Bodden spent the night mostly covering Davone Bess in the slot. Dowling held up well on the outside. Bodden was at least partially to blame for Bess' 92 yards on five catches.

If he is our third best CB then I am happy about our depth........ the dudes rusty.. that's all. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Re: Bodden Demoted?

Did they officially demote him or was it more of a match up fit??? Because I believe Bodden could cover Bess better than Dowling while Dowlings size matched up better when Brandon Marshall lined up on his side.  McCourty is affective against whoever lines up in front of him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Bodden Demoted?:
    [QUOTE]Did they officially demote him or was it more of a match up fit??? Because I believe Bodden could cover Bess better than Dowling while Dowlings size matched up better when Brandon Marshall lined up on his side.  McCourty is affective against whoever lines up in front of him.
    Posted by 617AcrossDaBoard[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

Or Dowling maybe the long term answer afterall regardless. 

I only look at this as a huge vote of confidence for Dowling rather than a diminishing skill set for Bodden. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think it speaks more for Bodden. Would you rather have Bodden cover the Fins 2nd best receiver in Bess or waste him on Brian Hartline?

We absolutely drafted Ras I for guys like Marshall and Plexico. We threw him right in the fire and he didn't disappoint, if he plays to potential we could be in for a major surprise in the secondary.

I watched the game again this morning and it was one of those games where we were within 3 feet of at least 5 INT's(3 of them dropped)...I think we may lead the league in turnovers again this year as we will see lots of opportunities!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Dont let Rusty see this...you will have a long rant coming.

Seriously tho', this was evident in camp that they were trying him in the nickel before Ras was even healthy, so what that tells me is they had already thought about Bodden playing nickel in the offseason.  Covering the slot was a problem last year even though people will point to Wilhite being a good player there, I thought he was only adeqaute so did the coaches as they put Chung there before any other guys and this year Chung being the only vet back there , he is needed in the back end. 

Pats play a lot of nickel and have gotten gashed the last few years in subpackage 3rd down runs, and so the purpose is to put a physical guy like Bodden in there to cover but also be able to stop the run if need be and Wilhite could not do it.

I think its actually a compliment of his skills putting him there, as the Star position inside is not easy to play...Its why I gave Asante props his rookie year for playing well there all year(with a good front seven I know)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]I think it speaks more for Bodden. Would you rather have Bodden cover the Fins 2nd best receiver in Bess or waste him on Brian Hartline? We absolutely drafted Ras I for guys like Marshall and Plexico. We threw him right in the fire and he didn't disappoint, if he plays to potential we could be in for a major surprise in the secondary. I watched the game again this morning and it was one of those games where we were within 3 feet of at least 5 INT's(3 of them dropped)...I think we may lead the league in turnovers again this year as we will see lots of opportunities!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I honestly had no idea....  that's good to hear.

I expect many improvements to come a long as the season goes on. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Bess killed us every time he played us so you put your second best cover guy on him which is Bodden. Besides, Ras played 66 snaps, Bodden 65, McCourty 76 so I don't think 87% of snaps is a demotion at all.

Actually I think you'll see more of this. I think Bodden will gradually be moved into that Nickel/FS hybrid position as the season goes on which is a perfect fit for him. If you think about about now a days a lot of teams 2nd best WR is in the slot or is a TE/RB releasing and you either need an extra starting caliber CB or a coverage FS on the field in this modern day passing NFL. By having Ras, Bodden, and McCourty on the field at the same time you have 3 of your best coverage DB's putting your best foot forward. Given our DL and LB can shut down the run having 3 coverage guys on the field just makes sense to me.

It's the evolution of the position not the demotion that you're seeing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

We seem to be blessed with a plethora of riches.  I feel like there's two hundred guys on this team now instead of just fifty three.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ditto.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

All in the game plan Getzo as every one is saying. It was a great plan to play him as nickel back!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

To add to the talk, They played a tone of single coverage which is why you saw the big guy cover the big guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]All in the game plan Getzo as every one is saying. It was a great plan to play him as nickel back!
    Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE]

I know... I just reported what rotoworld said. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

It would seem that we have the best CB trio in the AFC.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Bodden Demoted?:
    [QUOTE]The Patriots have "demoted" Leigh Bodden to nickel back, though he still played 66-of-77 snaps in Monday night's opener. Rookie Ras-I Dowling is now the first-team right cornerback. The Pats were in their nickel package for virtually the entire game, so Bodden spent the night mostly covering Davone Bess in the slot. Dowling held up well on the outside. Bodden was at least partially to blame for Bess' 92 yards on five catches. If he is our third best CB then I am happy about our depth........ the dudes rusty.. that's all. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

After Marshal the next threat is Bess which had Bodden. Ras-I is not the #2 corner, at least not yet. It's called matching up your second best corner to the opposing second best receiver. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

There are no starters, only matchups...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]It would seem that we have the best CB trio in the AFC.
    Posted by kevin13130[/QUOTE]

Be careful, Vontae Davis said he and Smith were the best duo in the league before the season started and look at the kharma they faced on Monday....

that poor Carrol kid is still waking up in the middle of the night screaming "No mas, No mas"  " "coach , I need OUT"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I thought of that too, jayshizzle. But in this case, it was I who said it, not McCourty or Bodden or Dowling. As long as they don't believe it, or as long as they don't say it, there's no kharma against them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]I thought of that too, jayshizzle. But in this case, it was I who said it, not McCourty or Bodden or Dowling. As long as they don't believe it, or as long as they don't say it, there's no kharma against them.
    Posted by kevin13130[/QUOTE]

true

I bet Davis will keep his mouth shut now....but in all seriousness, I will wait until midseason but if Ras I stays healthy,, I 'll be curious to see if our trio is playing better than Samuels, Asamogha(sp), and Cromratie.  I think they can be better then those 3, simply because they all can tackle as well as cover...and cant say the same for all 3 of the Eagle players..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Bodden has a bad hand,he'll be just fine once he heals.Ras-I is the real goods,always has been.His only problem through his college years were injuries.He may well be their third CB this season but he has the wherewithall to be a number 2 and perhaps even a legit number 1 if his injuries are a thing of the past.He just about has it all,size,speed,a smart kid who works hard and the instincts that the really good corners all possess.It's going to fun watching him mature and develop,assuming he can avoid further injuries.By the way,his injuries,though numerous,were not the kind that saps physical talents.I was very pleased when the Pats drafted him and his play in game 1 just reenforced my feelings towards this young man.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Bodden Demoted?:
    [QUOTE]The Patriots have "demoted" Leigh Bodden to nickel back, though he still played 66-of-77 snaps in Monday night's opener. Rookie Ras-I Dowling is now the first-team right cornerback. The Pats were in their nickel package for virtually the entire game, so Bodden spent the night mostly covering Davone Bess in the slot. Dowling held up well on the outside. Bodden was at least partially to blame for Bess' 92 yards on five catches. If he is our third best CB then I am happy about our depth........ the dudes rusty.. that's all. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't classify this as a "demotion". Miami had no running game, and played 3 WRs all night. That explains why Bodden played in 66 out of 77 snaps. 

That said, it's great news that BB is showing so much faith in Dowling. If the "D" is going to improve to championship caliber, Dowling, the 33rd overall selection in the 2011 draft, unlike Butler, needs to pan out.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Good updates by everyone here. Thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Look at the bright side, Ras-I Dowling was no Darius Bustler!

Im loving our depth at Corner right now. I was not expecting Ras-I Dowling to take part in a game until week 4 at best. To see him get that many snaps in and look as good as he did was very impressive.

Bodden on Bess was a great move, Bess was not too much of a factor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bodden Demoted? : Agree 100% Or Dowling maybe the long term answer afterall regardless.  I only look at this as a huge vote of confidence for Dowling rather than a diminishing skill set for Bodden. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

i've been commenting a few places, ie dowling thread, you may have seen. dowling is alreaady the best cover corner on the team (imo)

Sections
Shortcuts