Bodden Demoted?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Bodden Demoted?

In Response to Re: Bodden Demoted?:
    I think it speaks more for Bodden. Would you rather have Bodden cover the Fins 2nd best receiver in Bess or waste him on Brian Hartline? We absolutely drafted Ras I for guys like Marshall and Plexico. We threw him right in the fire and he didn't disappoint, if he plays to potential we could be in for a major surprise in the secondary. I watched the game again this morning and it was one of those games where we were within 3 feet of at least 5 INT's(3 of them dropped)...I think we may lead the league in turnovers again this year as we will see lots of opportunities!
    Posted by TrueChamp

"We absolutely drafted Ras I for guys like Marshall and Plexico. We threw him right in the fire and he didn't disappoint, if he plays to potential we could be in for a major surprise in the secondary. "

agree totally true,

saw it on his college film. saw it on mon game. thi skid has got it.
    he can get better, but he is a good cover corner now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Dont let Rusty see this...you will have a long rant coming. Seriously tho', this was evident in camp that they were trying him in the nickel before Ras was even healthy, so what that tells me is they had already thought about Bodden playing nickel in the offseason.  Covering the slot was a problem last year even though people will point to Wilhite being a good player there, I thought he was only adeqaute so did the coaches as they put Chung there before any other guys and this year Chung being the only vet back there , he is needed in the back end.  Pats play a lot of nickel and have gotten gashed the last few years in subpackage 3rd down runs, and so the purpose is to put a physical guy like Bodden in there to cover but also be able to stop the run if need be and Wilhite could not do it. I think its actually a compliment of his skills putting him there, as the Star position inside is not easy to play...Its why I gave Asante props his rookie year for playing well there all year(with a good front seven I know)
    Posted by JayShizzle45

"Pats play a lot of nickel and have gotten gashed the last few years in subpackage 3rd down runs, and so the purpose is to put a physical guy like Bodden in there to cover but also be able to stop the run"

toatally agree jay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Bess killed us every time he played us so you put your second best cover guy on him which is Bodden. Besides, Ras played 66 snaps, Bodden 65, McCourty 76 so I don't think 87% of snaps is a demotion at all. Actually I think you'll see more of this. I think Bodden will gradually be moved into that Nickel/FS hybrid position as the season goes on which is a perfect fit for him. If you think about about now a days a lot of teams 2nd best WR is in the slot or is a TE/RB releasing and you either need an extra starting caliber CB or a coverage FS on the field in this modern day passing NFL. By having Ras, Bodden, and McCourty on the field at the same time you have 3 of your best coverage DB's putting your best foot forward. Given our DL and LB can shut down the run having 3 coverage guys on the field just makes sense to me. It's the evolution of the position not the demotion that you're seeing
    Posted by PatsEng

nice points eng

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

" they all can tackle as well as cover."

yep

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Its about the matchup, Most team's 2nd best WR is usally the slot guy... so its good to have the 2nd best corner in the slot. The slot killed us last year as butler and willhite didnt cut it. And i think bill put bodden there because hes good and also because he doesnt want to risk what happened to butler to happen to Ras I. So Ras I will get to play the outside because hes best suited for the outside. I think it might change next week vs the chargers, bodden might b back to the outside.
    Most people underestimate Bodden... I have no clue why most pats fan dont understand that he is VERY GOOD! 
    "His skills are diminishing" Are you kidding me? Take a look at the replay, he played 65 snaps and i did not see him once! (I admit i was at work so did not watch every single snap so point out if u did see him get thrown on) BUT THATS A GOOD THING!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Bodden Demoted?:
    The Patriots have "demoted" Leigh Bodden to nickel back, though he still played 66-of-77 snaps in Monday night's opener. Rookie Ras-I Dowling is now the first-team right cornerback. The Pats were in their nickel package for virtually the entire game, so Bodden spent the night mostly covering Davone Bess in the slot. Dowling held up well on the outside. Bodden was at least partially to blame for Bess' 92 yards on five catches. If he is our third best CB then I am happy about our depth........ the dudes rusty.. that's all. 
    Posted by Getzo

it's not a demotion

it's more of a reflection of what he can do

McCourty is the best against taller receivers

Arrington is better on the outside than in the slot

so Bodden bites the bullet.  They're in nickel most of the time anyways, so it's not a demotion

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i dont think arrington is a good cover cb period.

dowling is the best against tall receivers.
    watch again and see him in coverage.
    notice miami puts marshall up against mccourty and picks at mccourty all night (not dowling).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

"Last week, I had stated the gameplan should be to try to take out Bess and focus on keeping Bush in the middle.   It worked."

Too funny.

Sections
Shortcuts