Bold draft predictions

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Bold draft predictions

The only thing I'd add BBReigns are the good ol Alumni boosters. Get cushy job where you never work and still pull down $5000/month.

The NCAA does suspensions selectively. Newton violated rules (or his dad did), but they are not going to suspend him from playing the national championship ( top player/most important game of the year). Let's not kid ourselves, at big schools (Ohio State for example) this aforementioned violation happens all the time and usually the school gets penalized, not the player. Or at least that used to be what happened. Now it's 50/50.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Bold draft predictions:
    That's fair.   I just don't think it's uncommon nor is it a red flag considering this stuff has been going on since we both were born. I see bad attitude, lack of passion/desire, work ethic, etc, as a red flag. Not taking a hotel reservation during spring break.
    Posted by BBReigns

It's a red flag because he was caught and lied about it that is all. It's like speeding, everyone does it to some degree under different situations however your insurance can't assume that you do. The moment that you get caught and given a ticket they can then point to that ticket as a red flag and increase your insurance rate. Just because an unknown portion of college athletes take cash doesn't mean anything but because he was caught you can then say it's a red flag because you have evidence he knowingly broke the rules and it's a second red flag that he lied about it.

With the cancer I give him all the credit in the world but it could still affect him at some point. If it was anywhere else but his brain stem I don't think anyone would give it a second thought but it does have the potential to end his career before he even starts it if it starts to grow again, which to a team investing a ton of cash that's a red flag. It's really a gamble on based on a pre-exsisting condition much like any player who's had hip or knee surgery. You have no clue if it will never affect him or if next month it could suddenly turn bad for him, you can only base it on what your doctor thinks could happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The only thing I'd add BBReigns are the good ol Alumni boosters. Get cushy job where you never work and still pull down $5000/month. The NCAA does suspensions selectively. Newton violated rules (or his dad did), but they are not going to suspend him from playing the national championship ( top player/most important game of the year). Let's not kid ourselves, at big schools (Ohio State for example) this aforementioned violation happens all the time and usually the school gets penalized, not the player. Or at least that used to be what happened. Now it's 50/50.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Exactly. That's what I mean. It looks completely phony.  They turn up the heat when they have to, act like they know nothing of the last 40 years of college students being wined and dined by agents, and then manipulate the bowl system to improve their margins.

It's all one big racket and they need to scapegoat players to take the heat off them.

I love it when they have their NCAA BBall tourneys in pro arenas and make them cover up the sponor boards around the arenas.

Freaking hilarious.

Oh yes, NCAA, you're so offended by all that money you take in with your own sponsors, the Papa Gino's sign at the TD Garden just has to be covered up. lol

Hypocrites.

They can't even lay down a set of basic ground rules.  They avoid doing it because they make money off not doing it.

Quinn is a great athlete to boot. He was 86-0 in high school as a wrestler.

I also like his answers:

"I don't really compare. But people always tell me I'm ready to be the next Julius Peppers or DeMarcus Ware. I always tell them, 'Why do I need to be the second of somebody else? Why can't I be the first Robert Quinn?"

"Like I said, I made a selfish mistake and I paid - me and my team and my family and coaches - paid a price for it. I truly apologized for it...When I took the jewelry, it was from a jeweler. In the back of my mind, it wasn't an agent, so I was thinking it wasn't as bad or wasn't bad at all. But coming all the way through, actually it was."

I just don't see these as red flags. He also worked a job in high school while being a multi-sport athlete.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

OK, here goes....

Pats package picks 17-28-33 for arizonas !st & 2nd rounder this year & take Von Miller at #5
    Pats package next years #1, arizonas #2, & pick # 74 for Jags #16 pick & take JJ watts 
    Pats pick best o-line available with pick #60
    Pats pick RB Dion Lewis Pitt  with pick#92
    Pats pick WR Fred Rouse with pick #159
    Pats take best o-lineman available with pick #193 

How's that for BOLD??!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Belichick trading down is not a bold prediction...give me some surprising names.
    Posted by tenacioust

Fine, fine, WHAT-ever..."surprising names", fine.  Here goes nothin'...

Guess what Julliard educated man was an ad-exec, before getting his music deal?  A:  Barry Manilow.  Manilow BOTH wrote the catchy jingle:  "Like a good neighbooor, State Farm is thereee!"  And, "I'm stuck on Band-Aid, 'cause Band Aid's stucke on ME!"  

Also, Did you KNOW that "The Heart of Darkness" novelist Joseph Conrad, was just a pen-name?  Conrad's REAL name was Josef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski (Imo that's somewhat less marketable on a book cover).  Oh, and try this lil' jabberwocky on for size:  Check out Lewis Carrol's surprising REAL name...  Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.  Trust me, no one's questionin' a fanciful magical tale about a schoolgirl chasing a talking rabbit around, by someone name "Lewis Carrol", but buyin' into this premise from a "Charles Lutwidge Dodgson"...?  Well, that just might be a tougher mushroom to swallow.

Finally, you'll NEVER believe some of these surprising names of ACTUAL Tennessee towns:  Pigeon Forge, Wall-land (Walland), Friendsville, Greenback, Bean Station Wartburg, Soddy-daisy, and Jelly-co (Jellico). 
         Now, I tell'ya the name "Jellico" on the surface at least, appears to be one of the lesser interesting ones of the whole bunch, but just now hold on there big fella BEFORE simply jumpin' to conclusions on good ole Jellico...  Just WAIT 'til I tell you EXACTLY how the name Jellico came into being...
         Ya see, if ya take I-75 north about 75 miles to where highway 25W intersects it, and then hang a left, you'll start to curve up northwestard in Cambell County until you're near spittin' distance of the Kentucky state-line.  Right 'bout here you'll come across a sleepy ole woody-knock called Jellico, a quiet town nestled in between Pine Mountain (which many a' outta-towner has mistaken for Jellico Mountain...but it ain't jellico mountain), and Indian Mountain (of which, the latter peak of Injun Mt, IS Jellico mountain, and it inevitably stretches into Kentucka).  Now, before this cute ole hidden town of Jellico actually adopted its current name, it was originally & long after, known as Smith burg, for the Smith family that first settled there.  Fitting name, no doubt, but a tad borin' I say...  Well, all that changed in 1883 when a railroad line finally reached the town, and Smithburg began serving as a trading station for the area's suddenly burgeoning coal mining industry.  THIS, is when the town suddenly changed its name to Jellico, attempting to capitalize on a newly discovered seam of high-quality bituminous coal found in the nearby Jellico Mountains (remember: not Pine mountain, but Indian Mountain), which (the high-quality coal) achieved a certain renown as the one and only, Jellico Coal.  Now, you inevitably must ask:  How then, Did the MOUNTAIN itself get the name of Jellico Mountain...?  We-he-he-ll (and this is the part you've been waiting in suspense for)...Ac-cording to the town documents:  THIS "is shrouded in some mystery"...so noone actually knows for sure.  Pretty wild stuff, huh?   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Can't belive you left out DogD**k, Indiana

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I disagree as well.  Any kid able to fight through cancer and still perform at a high level, with that kind of size and pass rushing ability, as well the ability to break off into coverage, that's rare. I dont' see any character concerns unless we are talking about the self righteous NCAA all of a sudden pretending poor, black kids just started taking money from agents in 2010. Sorry, wasn't born last night. Every single talented poor kid to come through college has likely taken "gifts" from an agent. Old news and not really a character concern to me at all. The NCAA is a phony and only pretending to show they are cracking down with this stuff, likely to appease the government. But, I wasn't born last night. I'd bet the % is very high for players taking gifts from agents, whether it was 1985 or 2005. Or today. I don't blame a poor kid for wanting to take care of his parents.  I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't accept the gifts if I was in their position. Not this! Arrest him! "As a junior in 2010 Quinn didn't play any games after he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA for lying to investigators about receiving travel accommodations and jewelry. [ 6 ] " As for him not playing....Gronkowski didn't play his Sr year and he had a serious injury. Quinn is a great fit across the board for a 3-4 OLB, IMO. I'd love it if he dropped to 17,  but I doubt it. I put a lot more stock into surviving cancer than I do taking a hotel reservation from an agent. http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120508aae.html Also, if you want an elephant prototype in a 3-4, a la McGinest, he is it.
    Posted by BBReigns

Maybe you don't think taking bribes is a serious violation but most of football nation does. Do you have some evidence that he did so to "support his family" or was this just rhetoric?

I'd probably be more sympathetic if that were the case but, still, a couple of thousand other NCAA kids managed to get through the season without milking the cash cow so, at the very least, it shows he has real bad judgment and at worst that he's a Jamarcus Russel type who thinks that rules just don't apply to him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEden. Show BlueEden's posts

Pats use 17 and 28 and trade up far enough to get WR Julio Jones. Pats stay at 33 and get the best player that falls defensively, or grabs RB ML.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Okay...BB trades #28, a fourth rounder, and Hoyer to Cincinnati for #3 and takes Marcell Darius...then he trades Mankins and #33 to San Fran for #5 and takes Robert Quinn....and then he takes Pouncey at #17....and drafts McElroy later in the draft...bold enough?.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I'm with BB, i don't really care if Quinn got a hotel reservation from his agent. He is a cancer survivor, and a true warrior.  Everybody makes mistakes, and it appears Quinn learned from it.  He is determined, talented, and has all the makings to take our defense to the next level.  A good defense wins championships-and I think the Pats realize this and WILL pounce on Quinn.  They have the firepower, and this is a fairly weak draft.  I really think this is the draft where they get their bona fide pass rusher.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

I really mean this. My bold prediction is this: BB trades UP in round one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: Bold draft predictions: You ready to trade up to number 6 or 7 to get this guy? That's what it will take.
    I disagree as well.  Any kid able to fight through cancer and still perform at a high level, with that kind of size and pass rushing ability, as well the ability to break off into coverage, that's rare. I dont' see any character concerns unless we are talking about the self righteous NCAA all of a sudden pretending poor, black kids just started taking money from agents in 2010. Sorry, wasn't born last night. Every single talented poor kid to come through college has likely taken "gifts" from an agent. Old news and not really a character concern to me at all. The NCAA is a phony and only pretending to show they are cracking down with this stuff, likely to appease the government. But, I wasn't born last night. I'd bet the % is very high for players taking gifts from agents, whether it was 1985 or 2005. Or today. I don't blame a poor kid for wanting to take care of his parents.  I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't accept the gifts if I was in their position. Not this! Arrest him! "As a junior in 2010 Quinn didn't play any games after he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA for lying to investigators about receiving travel accommodations and jewelry. [ 6 ] " As for him not playing....Gronkowski didn't play his Sr year and he had a serious injury. Quinn is a great fit across the board for a 3-4 OLB, IMO. I'd love it if he dropped to 17,  but I doubt it. I put a lot more stock into surviving cancer than I do taking a hotel reservation from an agent. http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120508aae.html Also, if you want an elephant prototype in a 3-4, a la McGinest, he is it.
    Posted by BBReigns

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

I look at these "bold" trade-up proposals. Do you really think the other teams are that stupid? Yeah, somebody will trade us Petersen for a late second and late third. I think we should trade Crumpler to the Jets for Revis. Why isn't BB doing that? And Mangini isn't in Cleveland anymore so that Browns' trade idea has no validity, either. If you want to talk bold, it would be something like trading both our number ones to get into the top 6 or 7.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: Bold draft predictions: Yeah, you were specific. With trade proposals that are laughable and can't possibly happen. When will somebody offer something serious... for example, is it worth it to trade way up and sacrifice 17, 28 and maybe more to gamble on what may be the real marquee guy? Or....knowing that many teams want a QB and the draft seems to have late first-early second round guys who are too risky to pick higher, do we trade down at 28 to some team hungry for a QB (Minnesota, Cincy, Redskins, Panthers, or whoever at that point).
    In Response to Re: Bold draft predictions : Did ya even read the whole thing...I mean, I thought I was pretty d#mn specific on ALL the scenarios that'll happen.  Sheez, wad'dya need a selection number and the time of day too?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agreed on the round difference even though Gronkowski's situation is more serious due to health, but you are out of your mind if you think there is only a small % of kids taking a gift from an agent at any time in the last few decades in the NFL draft. I would bet close to 80% of 1st rd draft picks in the last 30-40 years have taken some version of a "gift" from an agent and it didn't stop them from drafting that player.  It may even be higher. I hope Quinn falls to 17, but there is no way that many teams pass on a once in a decade edge rushing talent like that. Singling out Quinn because he went to a school that was made an example of during this recent push as the phony NCAA tries to get away with knowing about this for 50 years is hilarious. When the NCAA comes down from it's high horse, puts in rules and regulations and then enforces the punishments fairly across the board, then I'll care. Until then, all they are doing is trying to take pressure off themselves as a corporate entity.  They'll deny that, but they are full of it. Until then, it's as phony and corrupt an organization as we'll find in this country. I can only imagine the gifts Lawrence Taylor received.
    Posted by BBReigns

Russ
    I don't know why you are so high on Quinn. I think MB did a good job of laying it out...I'll put the character concerns to the side for a second...
    He only had 1 stellar year, and that was 2 years ago. Bascially, he's only played 2 years of college football, missing last year, and the year before last was his stellar year. And, as MB stated, most of his production was against mediocre talent. I think Quinn can be good, but he is also a conversion guy. Bake into that his still in tact brain tumor and there is a lot to question here other than character.
    If we are going that high, I'm going up for a more proven kid like Von Miller. He is every bit the pass rusher if not more than Quinn, and has played OLB productively in college.

Sections
Shortcuts