Bolden out 4 games for PED's

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Bolden out 4 games for PED's

It didn't sound like he was coming back any time soon. Does it open a roster space when a guy is suspended?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

So he was positive for testosterone, if I understand correctly?  What exactly does that mean? He's a young male, so I would hope he has testosterone.  

I guess I don't get the logic behind banning various substances.  Why do we care if a guy takes testosterone supplements, or HGH or anything else?  Don't we want these guys to be at their best?  If that stuff helps them, who does it hurt?  Who exactly are the rules against PEDs intended to protect?  

If we're worried they will build muscles that are too big, why don't we just ban weight training?  Ridiculous, sure.  But so are these rules.  If a guy is hurt and takes an anti-inflammatory or a pain med, isn't that performance enhancing?  What about laser eye surgery where a person's natural state is being enhanced artificially?  That's far more radical than taking testosterone.  

I suppose I could understand it if the stuff was illegal, like certain steroids.  But I don't think testosterone or Adderall or HGH is illegal.  I know the standard reply is 'well, those are the rules and he broke a rule.' I just don't get the need for these rules.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

So he was positive for testosterone, if I understand correctly?  What exactly does that mean? He's a young male, so I would hope he has testosterone.  

I guess I don't get the logic behind banning various substances.  Why do we care if a guy takes testosterone supplements, or HGH or anything else?  Don't we want these guys to be at their best?  If that stuff helps them, who does it hurt?  Who exactly are the rules against PEDs intended to protect?  

If we're worried they will build muscles that are too big, why don't we just ban weight training?  Ridiculous, sure.  But so are these rules.  If a guy is hurt and takes an anti-inflammatory or a pain med, isn't that performance enhancing?  What about laser eye surgery where a person's natural state is being enhanced artificially?  That's far more radical than taking testosterone.  

I suppose I could understand it if the stuff was illegal, like certain steroids.  But I don't think testosterone or Adderall or HGH is illegal.  I know the standard reply is 'well, those are the rules and he broke a rule.' I just don't get the need for these rules.  

I suppose a lot of things could technically be performance enhancing like lifting weights.  But I think that within the parameters of a game it shouldn't be necessary to take illegal drugs to the point that they may kill you in order to play.  And I think all those drugs are illegal without a prescription, for reasons that have nothing to do with how awesome they make you at football.  I don't want to see a contest where the best players are those who have found a way to acquire illegal drugs without a prescription or fooled a doctor into giving them a prescription they don't need.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

...I guess I don't get the logic behind banning various substances.  Why do we care if a guy takes testosterone supplements, or HGH or anything else?  Don't we want these guys to be at their best?  If that stuff helps them, who does it hurt?  Who exactly are the rules against PEDs intended to protect?  

I suppose a lot of things could technically be performance enhancing like lifting weights.  But I think that within the parameters of a game it shouldn't be necessary to take illegal drugs to the point that they may kill you in order to play.  And I think all those drugs are illegal without a prescription, for reasons that have nothing to do with how awesome they make you at football.  I don't want to see a contest where the best players are those who have found a way to acquire illegal drugs without a prescription or fooled a doctor into giving them a prescription they don't need.

Adderall is a prescription drug used for ADHD as I understand it.  I don't know what it does exactly, but I think it's like speed.  Is it OK to take it then, if he has a prescription based on ADHD, legitimately?

Testosterone is a hormone produced by your body, there's nothing illegal about it and it's not a drug.  Same with HGH.  Why do we object to hormones or anything that would increase the production of those hormones?  

What about blood doping, that's adding red blood cells to your own blood to increase the oxygen content.  Why is that illegal?  I can't think of any possible reason why anybody would have a problem with adding red blood cells. It's a problem because there's a rule and you're not supposed to do it.  But why does such a rule exist?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

All the liberals out there should be OK with PEDs. It's no different from affirmative action. If you're not good enough to make it in the NFL or MLB or whatever on your own abilities, and you need a little help, why shouldn't you be allowed some artifical means. It's not your fault your parents weren't of the right stock to enable you to succeed. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Both my neighbors are unemployed and stay home all day listening to conservative talk radio. One guy drinks all day while the other smokes weed and is stoned 24/7 . They do okay because they collect from the government. I work 45-50 hours a week and am a former Army Ranger. The odd thing is that they are both republican and I'm a democrat. My point is that the stereotype that liberals are painted with isn't true at all. We are all entitled to our own beliefs, half my family is republican and half democrat, other than that we're not much different.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'm wondering if the Patriots get a roster spot when a player such as Bolden is suspended. There really shouldn't be an excuse as these guys are probably made well aware of what is leagal and what substances are banned. If unsure they should ask. I doubt a guy like Brady would ever test positive for any banned substances.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

All the liberals out there should be OK with PEDs. It's no different from affirmative action. If you're not good enough to make it in the NFL or MLB or whatever on your own abilities, and you need a little help, why shouldn't you be allowed some artifical means. It's not your fault your parents weren't of the right stock to enable you to succeed. 

aawwww Muzzy still cwyin' over the a** kicking you righties got on tuesday?

didn't get ur fox happy face? chin up! u self-reliant types will pull thru somehow!

I'm libertarian, but yeah you're right, that self reliance stuff sure is silly.  Whoever thought that was a good idea, jeesh?

And by the way, I'm the one sticking up for the poor, downtrodden PED users.  The rest of you shun them like they're lepers. I say let 'em play. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

...I guess I don't get the logic behind banning various substances.  Why do we care if a guy takes testosterone supplements, or HGH or anything else?  Don't we want these guys to be at their best?  If that stuff helps them, who does it hurt?  Who exactly are the rules against PEDs intended to protect?  

Adderall is a prescription drug used for ADHD as I understand it.  I don't know what it does exactly, but I think it's like speed.  Is it OK to take it then, if he has a prescription based on ADHD, legitimately?

Testosterone is a hormone produced by your body, there's nothing illegal about it and it's not a drug.  Same with HGH.  Why do we object to hormones or anything that would increase the production of those hormones?  

What about blood doping, that's adding red blood cells to your own blood to increase the oxygen content.  Why is that illegal?  I can't think of any possible reason why anybody would have a problem with adding red blood cells. It's a problem because there's a rule and you're not supposed to do it.  But why does such a rule exist?

Yes, it's ok to take adderall if there's a prescription.  HGH, and testosterone as well.  Theres really no proof HGH does anything for adults but maybe.  All steroids basically find different ways to synthetically create testosterone in the body.  When the body finds all the testosterone it stops creating it, which can be a problem by itself.  A number of health issues can occur by having ten times the normal testosterone in your body.  These problems could really be short term if the steroids were stopped for a period.

Point is, they are dangerous especially in the hands of people who don't know how to use them which is why they are prescription drugs.  I just think that it would be a bad idea if the NFL came out and said "From now on we are going to allow illegal drugs, if you can get them than go ahead".  And the result would be players taking dangerous amounts of drugs to be competitive or great. So I'm in agreement with avoiding certain drugs.   I suppose if blood doping were relatively safe I wouldn't care, I don't know much about it though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

the you should've never watched a football game or baseball game in your life because it's been going on forever...they popped amphetamines (greenies) like candy in the 50's and 60's in baseball (yes Mantle probably and maybe Mays and certainly Banks and Brock and Wills to name but a few) and used coke like candy in the 70's and especially 80's (to bring it home Bernie Carbo admitted he was flying on coke when he hit that famous Game 6 HR-it wasn't only excitement that made him fly around those bases!) to everything today. Football? Been using steroids in various forms since the 60's (Read North Dallas 40 to see exactly what the ol Cowboys were doing in 1968) and it was rampant in the 70's and 80's, probably moreso than today. Hell I am a Giants fan and I know LT was coked out of his brain when he played so spectacularly as I know Dwight Gooden was at times when he threw 95 and was the best in the game for a short time-as were more than a few of their opponents (Ken Stabler admitted he was on blow when he threw 3 tds to win a game in the mid 70's) and forget about the nuts he played with (steroids and other drugs eventually killed Matuzsek and Alzado)

Thats why all this steroid/"Today's players are cheaters" stuff created by the media is major BS-it's as old as the hills 

I could care less about non performance enhancing drugs like marijuana, or amphetamines, or coke.  Professional athletes have the same temptations as the rest of us for those drugs, and are subject to the same rules.  The issue here is performance enhancers where no testing could create a rat race of who can take the most steroids the fastest before they get hospitalized.  

And that issue really is simple, when performance enhancing drugs came out in the 70's everyone was using them, then they made them illegal and have tried to keep them out since.  Nobody cares the LT was on coke because it wasn't a performance enhancer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'll apply the logic of giving out condoms at public schools, another favored liberal program. The idea is that kids will be kids and they're going to have sex, so we should encourage them to have safe sex.  I think the sports leagues should follow that logic and do the opposite of what they do now, which is to say they should encourage their athletes to take steroids and all of the other performance enhancers they want to, except it will be under the supervision of league medical staff.  We know they're going to do it, so why not make it as safe as possible?  

This way, the athletes will be at their best at all times under medically safe conditions. Isn't that what we want?  Then everybody has access to the same stuff and the playing field would be level. And they can stop testing.

I've never heard anybody explain why we don't want our athletes to take PEDs other than "it's illegal" or "it's dangerous." So if we eliminate those objections, what's the downside?

Oh wait, there's the sanctity of the record book. "Hank Aaron didn't take steroids, blah, blah, blah..." Who cares?  Progress happens. Hank Aaron played under better conditions than Babe Ruth did, that's just the way it goes.  If we're going to wring our hands about sacred records, then we should make all teams travel by train, get jobs in the offseason and wear those puffy hunks of leather that passed for baseball gloves back in the day. Modern golfers should be required to use hickory shafts and golfballs wound from goat intestines (or whatever they used then).  Football players should wear leather helmets and eliminate curved blades and metal shafts in hockey.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

I'm wondering if the Patriots get a roster spot when a player such as Bolden is suspended. There really shouldn't be an excuse as these guys are probably made well aware of what is leagal and what substances are banned. If unsure they should ask. I doubt a guy like Brady would ever test positive for any banned substances.

Yes, they get a roster spot and it was taken by Shianco.  Interesting, for the next 4 weeks they don't have to make a cut or roster move.

Sections
Shortcuts