Boldin for a 3rd?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Boldin for a 3rd?

"According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the Cardinals' asking price for Anquan Boldin is a third-round pick.
    While Boldin is going on 30 and would likely require a pricey multi-year commitment, Arizona's demands appear to be plenty reasonable. Fellow trade candidate Brandon Marshall is roughly four years younger, but presents far more knucklehead factor, would ask for more money, and costs a first-round pick. The Cards will find plenty of suitors if Lombardi's report is true."

http://www.rotoworld.com/CONTENT/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2078

now this might be interesting. If next year is uncapped and with Moss's contract expiring after next year would the Pats be willing to give him an extension worth slightly less then what they gave Moss in 07'? If so why not try to trade back #22 for an earlish 2nd and 3rd pick and flipping the 3rd for Boldin.

I wasn't for getting Boldin to begin with (thinking it would take the 1st and a pricy contract) but if they are looking for a 3rd that sounds like a steal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Boldin for a 3rd?

Sounds plausable I have liked Boldin for a while but I have no idea what the Patriots will do. I know this though they need to improve the defense especially the pass rush if they are going to get back to championship caliber. So I am ok with moving back as long as the Patriots can get what they want with a second.

They could also move a second round pick for a 3rd and a 6th... just saying there are other options.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Give me ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

yeah they could move the 2nd for a 3rd and 6th but I was looking at a team like Tampa or KC who would want to move back into the late 1st round. Though I agree pass rush is a big need if moving from #22 to #35/36 means we have a shot at Kindle instead of say Graham or Weatherspoon that's a small price to pay for Boldin

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Yes!! Bolding for a 3rd would be great!

But it will never happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Report: Cardinals want a third-round pick for Boldin

Cardinals G.M. Rod Graves has made it clear that his team is willing to trade wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

But what would it take to get Boldin out of Arizona?

Michael Lombardi reported on NFL Network that the Cardinals "only want a third-round pick" for Boldin. That's not too high a price for a starting wide receiver.

But, Lombardi said, the big sticking point is whether a team acquiring Boldin will be willing and able to fork over the money necessary to make Boldin happy. In other words, Boldin won't just cost a third-round pick. He'll cost a third-round pick plus a big new contract.

Boldin said after the season ended that he wouldn't request a trade. But the Cardinals may have come to the realization that their offense is just fine without him, and that they ought to get whatever they can for him. If what they can get is a third-round pick, the Cardinals would apparently be fine with that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

WOW - I would do that in a HEARTBEAT!  I was thinking a 2 for him.  A 3rd - for sure!

I hope the Pats hop in this one!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

why focus on the trade issue for a player like Boldin? the trade issue is minor compared to the signing issue. what will it take to sign this guy? is signing this guy more important to the team than retaining Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden et al? Clearly the answer is no in this Pats system.
    why do we on this board see the constant nit wit headings of "BOLDIN" or "MARSHAL" with zero thought on the signability of that player, and the efffect of that signing on the other FA's on the team??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Pats actually don't have a 3rd.  Anyways, in Signing a WR like Boldin, I think the 'signability' for Boldin Will BE GOOD! He wouldn't be top money like Marshall would be. 
    With Welker hurt and not knowing will he will back - the Pats need to put someone like Boldin on the other side of Moss for one year. 

Have you seen Boldin Play?  This kid is a tough player which I believe could fit nicely here.  He is injury=prone but aren't they all? - I think Brady would be happy to get a guy like this too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Yeah I agree Noise, Boldin will be easier to sign then Marshall and he comes with a lot less baggage and he is a super stup he came back in next to no time from that broken face. He is a workout warrior a good influence on the youngsters and should make Moss even a bigger threat cause you can't double moss if Boldin is across from him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Thanks DaBlade:  Also, don't forget - After this year, Moss will most likely be moving on or retiring?  who knows.  I don't see him back here.  Boldin would be a NICE #1 WR in 2011-(if there is football)-moving forward.....

With 2 1st rounders Next yrs draft - Maybe there is a stud WR that the Pats can land - who knows...But more importantly - we know what Boldin can do - we don't with players coming out of college.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

won't happen because the Pats will actually have to pay him after the trade. Boldin will want a decent contract so unless they sign Wilfork first this will not happen. Don't expect ANY FA moves until Wilfork is decided on as well as Brady's deal. This is a typical frustrating NE off season. Lots of "dreams" but I expect the usual scrap heap picking after 3 weeks after the initial FA smoke clears.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

IF the Pats have a 'typical' NE off-season, then Bobby Kraft wont' be seeing 2 extra Playoff games in Foxboro AGAIN this year.  (Losing lots of $$ b/c of this and his Vendors/stores down there).  This is one of the reasons why I THINK it 'won't' be like a typical off-season, I think they will dive in and playhardball this year.  (Sorta like 07 offseason).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ac3boogi3. Show Ac3boogi3's posts

would do it with out any regrets..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Boldin for a 3rd?:
    IF the Pats have a 'typical' NE off-season, then Bobby Kraft wont' be seeing 2 extra Playoff games in Foxboro AGAIN this year.  (Losing lots of $$ b/c of this and his Vendors/stores down there).  This is one of the reasons why I THINK it 'won't' be like a typical off-season, I think they will dive in and playhardball this year.  (Sorta like 07 offseason).
    Posted by NOISE

What is a typical NE offseason?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I hear some of you about the contract but there are a couple things I don't think you understand:

1) Next year is an uncapped year
    2) Moss averaged as the 3rd highest paid WR over the last 3 years
    3) Moss's contract expires after this year

Boldin could be a true number 1 after Moss leaves and paying him slightly less then what we payed Moss for an extra year would most likely get it done. In truth this would just be replacing Boldin for Moss so it wouldn't prevent resigning anyone, esp with some large contracts coming off the books (ie Ad, Light 2010 and Green 2009). I see this as the Moss trade all over again except we are getting a player with less issues coming in and get to have him next to Moss for a year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Russ I hear you but I'm not sure how much value you will get for Moss. IMO anything less then a 3rd isn't enough to trade Moss and with Boldin going for a 3rd why would anyone trade a higher pick for Moss? This just isn't the offseason to get good value for Moss with his last big contract coming up and other big, younger, WR's available for trade it would be rough to get fair value.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'd rather sign Kevin Walter for 1/2 the money and get the same production minus the drama.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Sign Boldin then trade Moss? How exactly would that make the team bettter? Moss is twice the receiver Boldin is.  If they trade for Boldin, its to complement Moss, not replace him.  Boldin is strictly a possession receiver.  Moss is the only big play guy we have.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

How many SBs did this team win without Randy Moss? Ever think that as great as Moss is, teams can gameplan much easier against NE?  They need better depth at WR, more money to use for that position, an upgrade to TE which is essentially another WR (think Dallas Clark), and more commitment to the run. The O Line can't be expected to sit back on 50% of the 75% of pass plays called in an average game and protect Brady who looks for Moss on downfield plays. It's just not going to work with a QB on a rehabbed leg who is 33.  Get the value now if you can get a #1 type like a Boldin.  We have a possession WR and his name is Wes Welker or Julian Edelman. The offense should be more about using the middle of the field as much as it is the sidelines.  Boldin is not a slot receiver.  Brady had plenty of "possession WRs" when he led the team to 3 SBs.  That 01-04 corps just wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a batch like Boldin, Welker, Edelman and hopefully someone like a Tate (or even a  '10 draft pick) would be.   This team needs a TE who gets open and less long ball theatrics against bad teams.  Clock control and consistency is what the offense needs.  Not 3 TDs for Moss against Jacksonville.  That said, Moss is absolutely a great player. I am just not sure he's this secret weapon over a full season en route to a SB.  Defense and ball control wins titles.
    Posted by russgriswold

I believe the Pats won all their SB's without Moss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

How many SBs did this team win without Randy Moss? Ever think that as great as Moss is, teams can gameplan much easier against NE?  They need better depth at WR, more money to use for that position, an upgrade to TE which is essentially another WR (think Dallas Clark), and more commitment to the run. The O Line can't be expected to sit back on 50% of the 75% of pass plays called in an average game and protect Brady who looks for Moss on downfield plays. It's just not going to work with a QB on a rehabbed leg who is 33.  Get the value now if you can get a #1 type like a Boldin.  We have a possession WR and his name is Wes Welker or Julian Edelman. The offense should be more about using the middle of the field as much as it is the sidelines.  Boldin is not a slot receiver.  Brady had plenty of "possession WRs" when he led the team to 3 SBs.  That 01-04 corps just wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a batch like Boldin, Welker, Edelman and hopefully someone like a Tate (or even a  '10 draft pick) would be.   This team needs a TE who gets open and less long ball theatrics against bad teams.  Clock control and consistency is what the offense needs.  Not 3 TDs for Moss against Jacksonville.  That said, Moss is absolutely a great player. I am just not sure he's this secret weapon over a full season en route to a SB.  Defense and ball control wins titles.
    Posted by russgriswold

First of all, I never said Boldin is a slot receiver.  I said he is a possession receiver.  If you swap Moss for Boldin, you get worse.  There is no logical way to argue that, unless Moss brought us a top draft pick, which he won't.  Over the last 3 years, Moss has 19 plays of 40+ yards, Boldin has 5.  He's more injury prone to Moss, and his new contract will be close to the $9 million Moss makes now.  Explain to me how Boldin, Edelman, Welker, Tate is better than Moss, Edelman, Welker, Tate?  If getting rid of Moss and bringing in Boldin saved money, and gave us extra high picks, then it might make some sense, but all you're doing is swapping Moss for Boldin, a huge downgrade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

pyegian - did you read where Moss said he won't be back after next year? I'm not for trading Moss for just any pick and truthfully I would like to see Moss and Boldin opposite eachother for a year but Moss will be gone after 2010. Why not get his replacement in Boldin, who is possibile the best replacement for Moss out there right now (Sorry I don't count Marshall. To much of a headcase and a me me me type of player. He's more of a TO type of guy). I love Kevin Walter but he's not on the same level as Boldin and drafting a wr in the 2nd is risky (look at or former 2nd wr choices). Boldin is the best overall choice IF it's only a 3rd for him. If the price starts jumping up then Walter becomes the better of the 2 options imo followed by drafting an unknown.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Right on the Money here PatsEng!

I hear some of you about the contract but there are a couple things I don't think you understand: 1) Next year is an uncapped year 2) Moss averaged as the 3rd highest paid WR over the last 3 years 3) Moss's contract expires after this year Boldin could be a true number 1 after Moss leaves and paying him slightly less then what we payed Moss for an extra year would most likely get it done. In truth this would just be replacing Boldin for Moss so it wouldn't prevent resigning anyone, esp with some large contracts coming off the books (ie Ad, Light 2010 and Green 2009). I see this as the Moss trade all over again except we are getting a player with less issues coming in and get to have him next to Moss for a year.
    Posted by PatsEng

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Whether Moss is gone next year or not, his value to the team in 2010 is far greater than the draft pick we'd get for him (my guess would be a 3rd rounder, MAYBE 2nd).  I do understand your points about protecting ourselves from Moss' departure, but I also would caution not to read too much into his comments.

Moss is a smart man and he was positioning himself for negotiations with the team.  If he has another great year and they come back with an offer of comparable value to what he's getting now, I think he'd jump at it.  

If he does end up leaving, at least we had him this year.  Relying on Boldin as a #1 is not a smart move at this point in his career.  He has been playing off the double teams of Larry Fitzgerald for a few years now.  He also is injury prone and is bound to miss a few games.  That leaves us with the real possibility that Julian Edelman would be the #1 receiver in a number of games in 2010.  As much as I like him, that's scary.  

Brady's needs a deep threat, and without Moss, that element of the offense would be gone.  Now, if we could sign Boldin for $5 million a year, then spend that extra $4-5 million to bring in another reliable receiver with some speed, that might be a different story.  However, Boldin wants to break the bank.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

russgriswold, first of all I don't enjoy being combative, I'm simply arguing my opinion on the matter.  Isn't that the point of the boards.  Second, I do understand your point about making the team more well rounded.  I mentioned that.  My point is that I really believe Boldin will require close to the same money as Moss, and we won't really end up with extra resources to add to the rest of the team.  In that case, what does it accomplish?  The offense would be just as predictable because they'd still only have that one true threat.  Again, if we could trade for Boldin, sign him for half of Moss' money, then use the rest of the money to sign another legit threat, I would definitely consider it.  I just don't see how that's possible.  Let me know what contract you think it will take to sign Boldin.  Maybe I'm off base with it, but Boldin for a few years now has talked about cash even more than A$ante $amuel did.

Sections
Shortcuts