Book it - Revis on Welker (at least on 3rd downs)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSRyan. Show PSRyan's posts

Book it - Revis on Welker (at least on 3rd downs)

Ryan is a blowhard (no, we are not related), but he's not an idiot. He saw that the difference in the two games last year was definitively Welker. Now it's a pick your poison thing with both Moss and Welker lined up; however Cromartie being a larger corner I think he rolls the dice and tries to neutralize Welker with his best corner: Revis - even if only on the critical third downs. Revis' physicality can help disrupt the quick timing routes Brady to Welker that make him so effective on 3rd down, giving more time for his blitzes to work. Even though Revis is an outside corner; he has excellent technique and is extremely physical on the line so it's not a huge stretch.

I may have to eat crow Sunday, but I'm almost guaranteeing this takes place Sunday. Luckily, I think Belichick recognizes the same thing and the Pats have prepared for that eventuality as well running Moss on crossing routes, slants, and outs in practice so he can morph his role to possession guy IF the Jets do exactly this.  

And this doesn't even take into account the TEs which was shown to be a weakness by Todd Heap and Flacco last week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Re: Book it - Revis on Welker (at least on 3rd downs)

In Response to Book it - Revis on Welker (at least on 3rd downs):
    Ryan is a blowhard (no, we are not related), but he's not an idiot. He saw that the difference in the two games last year was definitively Welker. Now it's a pick your poison thing with both Moss and Welker lined up; however Cromartie being a larger corner I think he rolls the dice and tries to neutralize Welker with his best corner: Revis - even if only on the critical third downs. Revis' physicality can help disrupt the quick timing routes Brady to Welker that make him so effective on 3rd down, giving more time for his blitzes to work. Even though Revis is an outside corner; he has excellent technique and is extremely physical on the line so it's not a huge stretch. I may have to eat crow Sunday, but I'm almost guaranteeing this takes place Sunday. Luckily, I think Belichick recognizes the same thing and the Pats have prepared for that eventuality as well running Moss on crossing routes, slants, and outs in practice so he can morph his role to possession guy IF the Jets do exactly this.   And this doesn't even take into account the TEs which was shown to be a weakness by Todd Heap and Flacco last week.
    Posted by PSRyan

I pray that Ryan is stupid enough to do that. Not only would Welker eat Revis alive, Moss would be essentially wide open on 3rd down.

The Pats have far too many weapons for the Jets to even slow them down. The only way this offense gets held in check by the Jets, or anybody else, is if they gat massive amounts of pressure on Brady and the Pats give up on the running game. 

Rex can move his corners around all he wants. It's not going to make any difference. The only question is, will the Pats defense show up against the Jets Arena League QB?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I thought the same thing. It makes a lot more sense to put Revis on Welker, Cromartie on Moss with a S to help. Then they only have to worry about the TEs and RBs...and Tate/Edelman.

And that horrific joke of a QB they have.

And talking too much.

Should be a fun game on Sunday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

that won't matter not with Hernandez and Tate out there too

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I don't understand what makes anybody think Revis can cover Welker. Putting your number one CB on Welker is foolish. His double and triple move 5-7 yard slants and hooks are unguardable. All you are doing is wasting your number one corner. You put Revis on the team's best deep threat. Anything else, and you are outhinking yourself. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That would be silly. 

Revis cannot cover Welker. No one can. He is in another stratosphere (with the help of modern NFL rules) at getting open.

And no one else on the Jets can cover Moss.

They are better off just leaving Revis on Moss and playing with that.

If they put Revis on Welker he still catches 7-14 passes, and Moss torches whatever stiff they put on him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Agree with Z.  Revis cannot cover Welker. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I posted that a couple of days ago. I also said it won't matter. In order to make that work the Jets defense is going to have to effectively blitz Brady everytime Revis covers Welker or they'll get burned downfield. That leaves the Pats tight ends free to block then release. Even if that plan works 75% of the time for the Jets they'll get burned badly the other 25% for long gains.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Mighty,

No one can. He gets to line up a yard behind the LOS. Nearly free release and is lightning quick.

The best bet is to bracket him with two zones, and keep a safety over the top on 3rd. That way, you might be able to tackle him before he gets to the marker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSRyan. Show PSRyan's posts

We said the same thing about Revis covering Moss before last year too. Hate the Jets all you want, but Revis has an impeccable record against the very best receivers in the game. Now, most of those are the larger guys and Welker's skill set is much more reliant on quickness then those other guys, but the added factor is they've allowed Revis to be VERY clutchy/grabby at the line (it is very Ty Law like at the line of scrimmage) which could negate said quickness and allow time for the blitz to work.

Let me adjust my thinking - they may not do it all game - but they WILL DEFINITELY try Revis on Welker Sunday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

there's no way to mask that assignment....Brady will see it and adjust....gotta question how effective that would be...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I think the Jets blitz works only if they can fill the passing lanes...Brady will have enough time if he can see a passing lane...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I hope Revis covers Welker on 3rd downs.  Revis can't cover the inside quick slants.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Welker is too slippery a receiver to cover with a cover corner because of his size and quickness.

Like stated before, your best bet in slowing Welker down is with a safety spying to keep him from the marker or getting to Brady extremely fast. The Jets are very capable of the latter. Not so sure they want to tie up both safeties on Moss and Welker knowing the threats we now have at TE.

The Jets will do what they do best and thats blitz. Brady will decide the outcome of the game with his decisions under pressure.

Sections
Shortcuts