Boston Bruins Billboard Backlash

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Boston Bruins Billboard Backlash

To ALL:

First, the alliteration just started happening...so I just ran with it.  Next, I had NO idea The Bruins were doing this (HI--larious!):

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Lightning-fans-force-Bruins-to-remove-Bear-ads-m?urn=nhl-wp5215

Two thoughts:  Growing to hate The Pats clean, bandwagon Country Club Majority Fan, type of Image.  IF you think this isn't true these days (as much as the yesteryear Fans & Team), Then "Yes"=You're one of these Fans...  Wish The Patriots would do something, in order to BOTH keep their "Toned down" "Just Do your Job" Belichickean sweatshirt-Image, while bringing...idk-A bit of the nastiness...a bit of what I loved from 2001 Pats Team.  I don't care...Make an Anti-Country Club bunch of signs directed at Pats Fans themselves...decorate Gillete Stadium in muskets, pictures of gruesome revolutionary war scenes...something.

Second:  You're a bunch of p#ssies, Tampa Lightning Fans (I don't think I need to expand on this sentiment).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Boston Bruins Billboard Backlash

The billboard was funny and Bruins management should be embarassed of folding at a little brouhaha from a place that has no business even fielding (icing?) a hockey team. The idea of a hockey rivalry with Tampa is preposterous, but even worse is the Bruins effectively backing away from the fight. It's wonderful to see this team with a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup after, lo, these many years . . .   but these are not your father's Big Bad Bruins.

As for the Pats: I've never been to Gillette Stadium (and am not likely to go), but from afar it certainly looks as if the fan base has become gentrified. I guess that's the nature of the beast when they charge more to park your car than a ticket to the game should cost. But before we get all misty-eyed about how great the fans used to be, let's not forget that a lot of those people who populated Ye Olde Schaefer Stadium -- while passionate -- were, perhaps not the type of people you would choose to hang around on a daily basis.

I know this much: If I'm paying $4,000 (give or take) to attend a football game, I certainly would not be interested in sitting anywhere near the kind of fan I used to be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from docmartin72. Show docmartin72's posts

Cowhead is a afternoon drive show, not a morning show. Bubba has mornings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Bruins Billboard Backlash:
    [QUOTE]The billboard was funny and Bruins management should be embarassed of folding at a little brouhaha from a place that has no business even fielding (icing?) a hockey team. The idea of a hockey rivalry with Tampa is preposterous, but even worse is the Bruins effectively backing away from the fight. It's wonderful to see this team with a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup after, lo, these many years . . .   but these are not your father's Big Bad Bruins. As for the Pats: I've never been to Gillette Stadium (and am not likely to go), but from afar it certainly looks as if the fan base has become gentrified. I guess that's the nature of the beast when they charge more to park your car than a ticket to the game should cost. But before we get all misty-eyed about how great the fans used to be, let's not forget that a lot of those people who populated Ye Olde Schaefer Stadium -- while passionate -- were, perhaps not the type of people you would choose to hang around on a daily basis. I know this much: If I'm paying $4,000 (give or take) to attend a football game, I certainly would not be interested in sitting anywhere near the kind of fan I used to be.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Lmao, Because prairie....it's like you read my mind here (terrifying, I know).  Never been on the A-List to get into Gillette myself, and I'm not sure I could pony up the cover charge these days I'd need to get in, so it becomes a hard sell trying to make the correct social contracts to get my name on the list from the get-go...  But I'm LOL-ing here at your response, b/c halfway into my post, I thought about the times I've spent as a youth brought to the old stadium...  I remember 1 time, there was-this guy musta been pushin' 400+ lbs, NO question- and he was sitting diagnally down from me, me in 1 row on the stairs, him across the stairs down into the next...And he screamed, and drank, and screamed and drank...then passed out in his seat ("freazing cold metal strip of industrial bar tubing"), then woke, and drank a bit more before repeating the process again...  Really, no prob with drinking, but when the empty plastic cups are crushed, withered, on top of one another, and they still can't fit, and so they empty crushed then simply empty second layer has spilled out WELL into the open stairwell...yegh.  And it was just far uglier after he began fighting with someone he came with.  I believe I've suppressed the larger part of the experience.

So, as I'm writing the "getting some nastiness back" part up above, I'm slowly beginning to try to get my creed and dogma...Like shallowly squeezing my rampant belief in tough, hard fandom and tough, hard gameday & team experience, More and more narrowly through the ever shrinking tunnel, Of EXACTLY how I remember the Idealistic, then Very Real, Then rather Sobering, then rather sobering AND depressing (I believe there was a final step, involving the word, "pathetic") GREAT Patriot Days of yore...

The fine line, becomes sorta hazy, swervy, dwindling, then trails off all together.  I want rowdiness, violence, tough-guy, hard-#ssed, and take no mercy concepts, but I'm trying to somewhat forsake (altogether, really), any of the Barbarism that goes along with it.  It's not very easy.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]Cowhead is a afternoon drive show, not a morning show. Bubba has mornings.
    Posted by docmartin72[/QUOTE]

Cowhead is a afternoon drive show, not a morning show. Bubba has mornings.

The universe does not give first warnings. Or second chances.
    -Solomon Short

Follow me on twitter: MattDocMartin

Love comics? Listen to Retcon Radio:
    www.bonus-level.com/podcasts/">www.bonus-level.com/podcasts/

Was this an ad?  Idk if this is Computer generated or not...?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Oh man Mike!  Before I forget, and now that I've reawakened a long dormant experience:  I remember something else about the 400lb circus freak barbarian (I started RingOFLOL)=For a great deal of time as the game went on, I was far less intrigued by what was happening on the field (it was the 2nd quarter, so the "win" was already well outta reach)- but ALL I could focus on, was that this guy was muttering to himself...sometimes quietly...often, REALLY loudly.  And I kept trying to see if he was conscious, unconscious, or in some sort of semi-conscious state- Because he'd stare forward and mutter alot (Laz: "Oh, he's conscious"), then he'd swerve his head around back and forth, side to side (Laz: "Semi-conscious? What is going on here?"), and then his head would slump totally backward or forward onto his chin (Laz: "Phew...just unconscious. Please don't let him wake...").  For a full quarter and a half or more, this was the overriding theme, and it would vary between these states with no rhyme, or reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]I agree the Bruins shouldn't have caved. That's slighltly embarrassing, but not more so than TB's request. What little girls.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

See, this is what I believe too...But within that article, there happened to be some tiny, small, teeney, Easily overlooked reference that invoked whether or not Tampa Fans began making death threats, or not...  And say what'cha will, that FLA is NOT the true "South", but make no mistake, I've lived there for 2 seperate 1 1/2 year stints...and the people (how do I say this unfortunate generalization)+By and large, they're st#pid.  Very st#pid...Very careless, care free, easily swayed, and they're st#pid. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Blackout drinking aside . . .

One time I went to a game with a group of eight people and when we got to our section, there wasn't enough room on the bench for all of us to sit down. It was one of those short rows that abutted the concourse access, so there was a concrete wall on one end of the row. We thought, at first, that somebody had snuck in and there were too many people in the row . . .  but it turned out that it was just one really fat guy who took up more than the approximately 10 inches of seat space alloted for each patron. We ended up taking turns standing in the aisle and having to explain to the ushers all day that we had paid for eight seats, but there wasn't enough space to accomodate everybody because of the big guy.

Nothing against morbidly obese people, mind you (and the guy was kind of embarassed, which I imagine was bad enough), but that was just one of the many "qualities" of the old stadium that made attending the Pats game a new adventure every time. Of course, in those days, I think it cost about 12 bucks for a sideline seat (and three to park your car), so nobody was really complaining too loudly  . . .   except about the often embarassing product on the field.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I've already documented my thoughts on Gillette Country Club frequently.  I've sat in Section 111, Row 3, Seat 3

Reader's Digest version: I'd take the old Schaffer/Sullivan/Foxboro any day of the week, right down to the bad seating conditions.  The benefits for me (crowd noise, freedom of speech, lack of complaints when cheering for the Patriots' defense, lack of popcorn thrown at you for cheering for your hometown team) outweigh the costs.

I'm glad to see the Pats successful, but I don't think they HAD TO water down the fan bae in the process.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]I agree the Bruins shouldn't have caved. That's slighltly embarrassing, but not more so than TB's request. What little girls.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Russ speaks for me here