Boston Globe Possibly Being Shut Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Boston Globe Possibly Being Shut Down

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/04/AR2009050400756.html

This is horribly dissapointing to me. There's two things I want to say about this:

1) if this does happen, I cannot thank enough all of the reporters who have spent so much time providing us with excellent news, up-to-date stories, and spending time with us fans and readers to talk with us and answer our questions. Not to mention giving us a place to discuss the Patriots (yes, even you Jet fans who feel the need to discuss your team here as well). I'm sure Jets and Giants fans will come on here so they can laugh at us for losing the paper, but keep in mind that it's only because the NY Times bought the Boston Globe and is going through tough financial times that this is happening. I am hoping that this closing does not happen, but if it does, I hope you all find positions in Boston to help provide us with the news we've come to enjoy.

2) if this does happen, where else are we going to get our Patriots news? Seems like the Boston Herald is having its own issues as well. Maybe we can post links to some of the more popular places to get Patriots news so in the event this happens we can all still have a message board to discuss things.

With that, I leave you all with a quote:

"From the moment the Times Co. purchased The Globe in 1993, it has treated New England's largest newspaper like a cheap wh*re," former Globe columnist Eileen McNamara wrote last month in the Herald.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Re: Boston Globe Possibly Being Shut Down

http://www.patsfans.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-in-md. Show pats-fan-in-md's posts

Hey everyone.....If the globe goes under ( hope not ) does anyone have an
    alternate site to meet at? Damn, I used to deliver the Globe when I was a kid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I've forgotten how old you are when you learn how to read...well enough to read a newspaper...maybe six or seven. I"m 63 now. I know that I could read what Ted Williams did the day before by the time I was eight....a long time ago. Today, I read online, the Washington Post and NY Times for news and the Globe for sports. The Globe was instumental in introducing me to the world and I regret its decline, but it must fashion its business to reflect the 21st century realities and I hope that it does. New England still needs the Globe to exist going forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I predicted the demise of all paper newspapers and most magazines several years ago. I spent my military service in New England where I learned to appreciate the fall foliage, Cape Cod, the Patriots, Bill Russell and the Boston Globe ( although I also thought the Record-American was fun to read ). I remember Sunday mornings with the Globe and one dramatic photo ( which probably appeared in other 
    papers ) which had an immediate educational impact on me about hypocrisy, incompetence and complete disregard for government and military security regulations. I will be sorry to see the Globe go. Others will follow. Also, movie theaters will not be around in ten years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Ben Franklin used to set type for the printing press of his brother's Boston newspaper, before he set out for Philly at age 15. He went on to run his own successful newspaper.

But back then, many small, independently owned publications thrived, and nurtured the democratic environment that led to the American Revolution.

Watching media giants go down gives me mixed feelings at most.
    Some 8 or 9 companies feed us the information that shapes our knowledge and opinions, and that is extremely unhealthy.

I'm pretty sure the Globe Sports section could survive in some form, since it's probably the most popular section of the paper.

But the NY Times helped bring us the Iraq war, through the lies of Judith Miller (aluminum tubes, anthrax stockpiles, mobile biological labs, etc) with full support of Executive Editor Bill Keller.

The Times then sat on widespread warrantless wiretapping story for a year, so that Bush could be re-elected.

Whatever else the NY Times has done to appear liberal or progressive pales in comparison to those propagandist efforts.

I only wish News Corp (Fox, NY Post, Wall St Journal) and GE (NBC) and the rest of them would go down as well, to be replaced by thought provoking independent journalism to save our democracy.

Worst comes to worst, Mike Reiss gets a job at a Patriots blog like PatsPulpit or something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

[QUOTE]I predicted the demise of all paper newspapers and most magazines several years ago. I spent my military service in New England where I learned to appreciate the fall foliage, Cape Cod, the Patriots, Bill Russell and the Boston Globe ( although I also thought the Record-American was fun to read ). I remember Sunday mornings with the Globe and one dramatic photo ( which probably appeared in other  papers ) which had an immediate educational impact on me about hypocrisy, incompetence and complete disregard for government and military security regulations. I will be sorry to see the Globe go. Others will follow. Also, movie theaters will not be around in ten years.
    Posted by Yapple

The papers are going to have to move on line and charge us for viewing. The movies - the teens keep them busy on the weekends. With the rates they charge how can anyone keep going. I agree - 10 years and they will be storage lots. We seem to like to store and pay for stuff we dont want / need anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The papers are going to have to move on line and charge us for viewing.      

Most papers are already online, like this one. Even the Camden Chronicle Independent down here (usually about 10 pages in length twice a week) has it's own website. But they certainly shouldn't have to charge us for coming here! The small price for the newspaper is to cover things like the actual paper itself, operating the presses, and distrbution. They should have enough revenue from advertising to cover the cost of the website. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have to pay a "subscription" (like ESPN insider) for full access. It would really s u c k if they would do this. It would also be unfortunate for all the people in the printing press to be put out of a job, too. I certainly hope this message board continues, though. I don't go to any other boards, and even though we have our share of trolls, it's sort of like a family here. I guess Leon would be the mogoloid who is chained in the basement who nobody ever admits being related to!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Yapple, you've left me and I'm quite certain many others dangling by not informing us of the contents of "one dramatic photo ( which probably appeared in other 
    papers ) which had an immediate educational impact on me about hypocrisy..."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Yeah, show me the photo......

It wsn't a picture of leon was it???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Yapple is certainly right about fewer media outlets being a bad thing. Has anyone besides me noticed how, now that the physical paper is in its death throes, the Globe has suddenly become this ferocious political watchdog, ferreting out pension abuse throughout the hierarchy and reminding the public of a newspaper's basic function. Now I don't live in the Boston area anymore, but I did live there for some 30 years and I can tell you that the political hackery you are hearing so much about today is nothing new. Patronage and nest-feathering didn't start yesterday and it's not gonna stop tomorrow. The Globe's reporting of it is new, however. Ask yourself why that might be. The form is dying. It can no longer support itself in this technological age, and it's not just because corrupt unions are still trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Answer me this: How many of you are still listening to Long-playing albums (or eight-track tapes -- or cassettes -- or any kind of "hard" music technology)? The internet radically changed the music industry the same way it is radically changing the way we absorb news. That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing (except for printers), but when media conglomerates like -- for instance -- Gannett own most of the major outlets, what you get is news through a filter, and that is a very bad thing. The NY Times divesting itself of the Globe is really not that big of a deal. That marriage was a horrible idea from the beginning. That said, a city of Boston with only the Herald as its watchdog -- well, I don't like to imagine that. It remains to be seen if some enterprising fool with more money than sense will step into the vacuum the loss of the Globe creates -- if that happens.

phewww!

Man, that just kept going. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"Yapple, you've left me and I'm quite certain many others dangling by not informing us of the contents of "one dramatic photo ( which probably appeared in other 
    papers ) which had an immediate educational impact on me about hypocrisy..."

If I described the contents of the photo in any meaningful detail, I would be as guilty as the people in the photo. This must sound ridiculous since the photo was probably seen by 
    850,000 ( the reported circulation at the time ) Globe readers. No more ridiculous though, than what happened to me. I reported the publication of the photo by showing it to the colonel. After his initial shock at seeing easily recognizable highly classified items in the Sunday Globe, he said to me..."Ok. But don't tell anyone." The 850,000 didn't know what they were looking at, but I did, so I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut. Which I have since it happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Good on you then....OPSEC and all

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

It would be a real shame to see this site go as I do believe the online content is worth visiting this site for, but I don't see how it would 'work' in the print form... and ultimately, I don't think I'd 'pay' for the service directly...  However, I'm sure people will figure things out... maybe NFP or otherwise (already seems to be loaded with Pats fans via connections through Simmons and sites like this)... heck, nothing is stopping some of the regulars from just creating their own Pats' driven site (are there any decent ones already?). I'd gotta believe if things come to that it would happen...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

Ben Franklin used to set type for the printing press of his brother's Boston newspaper, before he set out for Philly at age 15. He went on to run his own successful newspaper. But back then, many small, independently owned publications thrived, and nurtured the democratic environment that led to the American Revolution. Watching media giants go down gives me mixed feelings at most. Some 8 or 9 companies feed us the information that shapes our knowledge and opinions, and that is extremely unhealthy. I'm pretty sure the Globe Sports section could survive in some form, since it's probably the most popular section of the paper. But the NY Times helped bring us the Iraq war, through the lies of Judith Miller (aluminum tubes, anthrax stockpiles, mobile biological labs, etc) with full support of Executive Editor Bill Keller. The Times then sat on widespread warrantless wiretapping story for a year, so that Bush could be re-elected. Whatever else the NY Times has done to appear liberal or progressive pales in comparison to those propagandist efforts. I only wish News Corp (Fox, NY Post, Wall St Journal) and GE (NBC) and the rest of them would go down as well, to be replaced by thought provoking independent journalism to save our democracy. Worst comes to worst, Mike Reiss gets a job at a Patriots blog like PatsPulpit or something.
    Posted by arodrambone

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

Ben Franklin used to set type for the printing press of his brother's Boston newspaper, before he set out for Philly at age 15. He went on to run his own successful newspaper. But back then, many small, independently owned publications thrived, and nurtured the democratic environment that led to the American Revolution. Watching media giants go down gives me mixed feelings at most. Some 8 or 9 companies feed us the information that shapes our knowledge and opinions, and that is extremely unhealthy. I'm pretty sure the Globe Sports section could survive in some form, since it's probably the most popular section of the paper. But the NY Times helped bring us the Iraq war, through the lies of Judith Miller (aluminum tubes, anthrax stockpiles, mobile biological labs, etc) with full support of Executive Editor Bill Keller. The Times then sat on widespread warrantless wiretapping story for a year, so that Bush could be re-elected. Whatever else the NY Times has done to appear liberal or progressive pales in comparison to those propagandist efforts. I only wish News Corp (Fox, NY Post, Wall St Journal) and GE (NBC) and the rest of them would go down as well, to be replaced by thought provoking independent journalism to save our democracy. Worst comes to worst, Mike Reiss gets a job at a Patriots blog like PatsPulpit or something.
    Posted by arodrambone

I'm glad to find someone else who recognizes what a rag the NY Times became during the Bush Administration.  The paper made me so furious that at some point I could no longer read it.  I still won't pay money to read the Times -- I look at it online.  I am sorry they got their clutches on the Globe, and the thought that we won't have a real daily newspaper up here -- the Herald does not qualify as a real paper -- is painful.  It's dangerous too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

[QUOTE]I'm glad to find someone else who recognizes what a rag the NY Times became during the Bush Administration.  The paper made me so furious that at some point I could no longer read it.  I still won't pay money to read the Times -- I look at it online.  I am sorry they got their clutches on the Globe, and the thought that we won't have a real daily newspaper up here -- the Herald does not qualify as a real paper -- is painful.  It's dangerous too.
    Posted by LuvsThosePats

I assume a liberal rag is more your style. The news media is very left leaning. Thank god we have FOX!

The Herald is junk. I lived in Boston for 20 years and loved the sports page of the Globe. Peter Gammons on Sunday morning was great.

Sections
Shortcuts