Boston.com Inspirational Cover Story: Safety Sergio Brown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Re: Boston.com Inspirational Cover Story: Safety Sergio Brown

Nice post Laz, this is why I root for guys like Sergio and started a thread last Sunday night about him "another rookie plays well" these are the good stories from the NFL that never get any air time it's all about the holdouts, criminals or the me,me,me, T.O.'s Ochocinco's.   cudos to you Laz

*careful out there zombies are about

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Myrtle?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Boston.com Inspirational Cover Story: Safety Sergio Brown:
    Nice post Laz, this is why I root for guys like Sergio and started a thread last Sunday night about him "another rookie plays well" these are the good stories from the NFL that never get any air time it's all about the holdouts, criminals or the me,me,me, T.O.'s Ochocinco's.   cudos to you Laz *careful out there zombies are about
    Posted by harleyroadking

Tank ya Harley (aka-Leader of the Zombie Movement).  Ya know, I'd like to think that I personally, was Sergio Brown's Complete and Total Inspiration.  Because: #1) I, personally, witnessed that Antonio Gates tackle...I mean, I wasn't actually AT the game...heck, I didn't even see the play live on television.  YET, I was watching NESN, and they replayed some highlights, this being one of them, And I said RIGHT then and there (to myself): "Good Tackle, whatever your name is."  #2) In Spanish class, MY name, WAS Sergio.  Seriously, this kid ain't lyin' folks.  Then, my Senior Year, when I became real popular, and was captain of the sport's teams I was on, I would walk down the HS halls and I'd actually hear people sayin', "SUUUuuuuurge!"  Dat's right folks, "Inspiration #2" alone, simply should end matters, YET I have 1 more for you to muse over...  #3) When I saw that New England had signed Sergio Brown, from this past 2010 NFFL Draft Class, I ACTUALLY said...well, 1st I said, 'WhoInTH is this guy?', BUT after I said that, I looked him up right away, and THEN I said (ready for this folks?):  "That's not really a bad pick up."  I did, as certain as I'm typing these very words, I honestly did. 
         Shoot, when Brown got cut from the team, I said to myself: "This guy's got heart, He's STILL worth something, TO Me!"  And Even though, I didn't actually know that Brown was ever cut, because I was refering specifically to Shawn Crable at the time, I'd like to think My Sentiment is applicable (only for the successes though, and not some worthless failures). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Laz,

Fantastic post. Very coherent for a change. Not that I dislike your particular flair, but that was singularly readable and a bit less itinerant than your typical go. 

That stop was enormous; moreover, it was pure situational football, which is what BB preaches. Give them enough rope to hang themselves and 9/10 times they will. He really sat, played it conservatively, and then made sure to make a solid tackle before the marker. Well played. Well earned game ball too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's a very good story and I hope he only improves and sticks with the team. I always love an underdog story and love to root for the little guy. Might be why I like Woodhead so much

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

Can he catch?  Maybe he'll turn out like another Brown.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Boston.com Inspirational Cover Story: Safety Sergio Brown:
    Laz, Fantastic post. Very coherent for a change. Not that I dislike your particular flair, but that was singularly readable and a bit less itinerant than your typical go.  That stop was enormous; moreover, it was pure situational football, which is what BB preaches. Give them enough rope to hang themselves and 9/10 times they will. He really sat, played it conservatively, and then made sure to make a solid tackle before the marker. Well played. Well earned game ball too.
    Posted by zbellino

Thank you zb~...I ahh, think?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

What's "Itinerant" mean..."Awesome", "Brilliant", "Genius", or some combination therein?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yep, good article and better story. Anybody else notice how confident the kid looked on the field. I remember from his 1st play his body language made him look like a vet. He picked an angle and finished the plays he was in every time. Another good addition by BB..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

In Response to Boston.com Inspirational Cover Story: Safety Sergio Brown:
    To ALL : Here are some excerpts from the BDC Top Cover Story, here on the Patriots's Page.  It's well-written, and rather inspirational, in fact.  The story highlight's Sergio Brown .  Brown, an Undrafted Safety from Notre Dame (many know this)-Was thrown right into the fray during last weekend's Chargers's Game, ater Patrick Chung got injured, and also subsequently with Jarrad Page's calf injury: excerpt ~ All Brown knew was that, with safety Jarrad Page inactive because of a calf injury, he needed to be ready. For anything. And everything. Litt le did Brown know, however, that he’d be thrown into the breach when second-year safety Patrick Chung injured his knee in the second quarter. It forced the Patriots to rely upon Brown to help repel the Chargers’ fourth-quarter rally . Brown made his 5th unassisted tackle of the game, on that critical Antonio Gates reception, pulling him down from behind: excerpt ~ And Brown delivered when it mattered most, making his fifth and final tackle of the game (all unassisted) on Gates on a third-and-10 play. “We had to be aware of the down and distance,’’ Brown recalled of the play, for which he was awarded a game ball. “Once he came out of the backfield, I peeked at the quarterback [Philip Rivers] for a second. I saw him look over to Gates and I was like, ‘I’ve got to get over there and make a stop.’ ’’ After Gates made an 8-yard reception, Brown quickly pulled him down from behind 2 yards shy of a critical first down. “I thought that Sergio had a lot of good plays in the game,’’ said coach Bill Belichick, also crediting Brown for his special teams contributions. “I think he would have played on defense anyway, but regardless of that, he certainly got more of an opportunity when Patrick went out .’’ In under 2 months, Sergio Brown was cut entirely by New England, THEN signed to New Englands's Practice Squad, THEN signed to New England's 53 man Active Game Day Roster...let that amount of utter uncertainty about your (or anyone's future) sink in just a bit...  excerpt ~ Sergio Brown settled into his seat on the Patriots’ charter flight home after last Sunday’s 23-20 victory over the Chargers in San Diego. A warm feeling enveloped him as the rookie safety began to decompress from his whirlwind weekend. It was a feeling of satisfaction from a job well done. Brown paused and shook his head as he recounted his rise from the practice squad to the 53-man roster to maker of a key fourth-quarter tackle on Chargers tight end Antonio Gates. All this, in one amazing weekend. It was an opportunity Brown had worked hard for, but when he was initially released he admitted to giving in to negativity. “I was disappointed, angry, mad, every type of emotion you could have,’’ Brown said. “At the end of the day, when you sit back and look at everything, you have to take a positive note and make the best out of every situation.’’ So when Brown was signed to the practice squad two days later, he took it as a second chance at an NFL career. But life as a practice-squad player is often filled with days of hard work and frustration at not knowing if it will result in playing time. “I think that’s a great example for all our players to be just ready to go,’’ Belichick said. “You never know when you’re going to get that opportunity. Some players aren’t active and guys are on the practice squad. Or some guys that are active don’t necessarily get to play that week, depending on their particular role. But that can change in one play, and Sergio’s a good example of a player that worked hard, that was prepared, and that when he got an opportunity, really took advantage of it and performed well .’’ His play @ San Diego?  It not only awarded him a gameball from Bill Belichick (and his 1 single 3rd down solo, heads up, Gates tackle OUR Franchise another "W" in the win column), BUT it awarded Brown a 4 year 1.79 Million Dollar Contract.  Now let THAT sink in just a bit...  Say ya make 50k a year, JUST outta freakin' college, and you're an unbelievably LUCKY one.  Sergio Brown's unquitting effort has just earned him 9 TIMES that A Year.  As NFL Fans, we're continually bombarded with certain players that CANNOT apparently feed their children on numbers like 5-7 mil a year, and opt, rather than playing a sport that they should adore, To sit out entirely due to the fact that they feel "insulted" by not being offered that extra mil.   Personally, I feel great for this hard-working UNdrafted kid, who never quit when things looked incredibly uncertain for him.  450k a year ain't peanuts for most of us people in the real world, And it simply feels wonderful seeing someone FROM this real world, get rewarded...and whom is (and should be)-simply Ecstatic, to come across this contract & "meager" salary...  Kudos to you, Sergio Brown.  excerpt ~ “ Got on the plane and I was all smiles on the way home,’’ Brown said yesterday in front of his locker at Gillette Stadium. “Had so many voice mails, my phone went dead.’’ First thing I did was call my mother,’’ Brown said. Of course, Myrtle Brown reacted like any proud mother would, especially when she learned of the salary her 22-year-old son, the youngest of her three boys, would be making. “She was screaming on the phone and everything, so it was real,’’ Brown said with a laugh .
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

I have a strange feeling that this guy is going to surprise a lot of people.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What a turn around for a guy that was basicaly out on the streets a month ago. If he plays well in  the next couple of years he'll out grow that contract, but it looks good for both sides right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Good read and excellent thread. The Safety position is looking very promising,all in all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Some things to consider further here:

Some stuff I knew (or...think I know)

~The 2010 NFL Draft WAS one for the ages~

For ALL the naysayers whom say, "You Draft-Nuts say that EVERY year!"  Sorry, NOT this guy.  With the uncertainty of the collective bargaining agreement in the NFL, The Owners are gonna be sticklers on 1 thing, hands down: A lower Rookie Pay-Scale.  No more untested 1st Rounders getting paid millions and millions more than proven NFL veterans.  And on this, no doubt, the player's union WILL agree (ideally this = more $ for them).  Now, this meant that this 2010 Draft had just a TON o early draft declaring underclassmen, on ALREADY a decent draft class.  Simply look at That Safety Class alone from 2010:  Early back last September, before these college underclassmen realized the upcoming stipulations, probably starting in 2011 (lol, IF there's a season)-The 2010 Safety Class had players like Major Wright & Taylor Mays as the top guys on many Draft Boards.  YET, after the great influx of underclassmen, We see people like Wright & Mays pushed towards mid-2nd round-3rd round selections...  Now, these 2 didn't have excellent years, BUT they DID have excellent Collegiate careers, wherein any other year, these players still would have been much higher selected overall.  

~The Safety Class itself in the 2010 NFL Draft, was NOT greatly filled with top-tier talent...BUT boy, was it deep, deep, deep, with Above Average Safeties~

Think of the sheer number of Safeties who WERE Drafted in this '10 Class: Roughly 20 Safeties in Total chosen with Draft Picks on draft day by NFL Teams.  Comparitively, Only a dozen Runningbacks were selected on Draft Day.  2 Positions, one could certainly argue, Carrying closely equaled amounts of importance altogether.  THIS 2010 Safety WAS really, really deep with decent, if not spectacular talent...Just run down this list of draftable Safeties from '10: Eric Berry, Taylor Mays, Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, Reshad Jones, TJ Ward, Earl Thomas, Major Wright, Darrel Stuckley, Kurt Coleman, Larry Asante, Kam Chancellor, Barry Church, Kendrick Lewis, Myron Rolle...you drafftnuts, HAVE heard of nearly all of these guys.  Deep, deep, deep...Well above average Safeties...NO top-tier huge talent drop-off.  THIS means in all, some guys @ this Safety spot (IN an already talent-laden draft)-WILL slip through Undrafted.

~Certain things I looked up Post-Draft, upon NE signing him as an UDFA~

I recall, that Brown did NOT have big-numbers (more on this later)...  Yet those scouting bio's I DO remember, said: Brown was Intelligent, Highly Instinctual, A Good-Hitter/Tackler.  I recall, The Big "Con" on Brown, was that he wasn't a "ball-hawk".  In retrospect, I think now...GIMME a BREAK!  Look, ball-skills CAN be refined.  He!!, Gimme a smart, athletic, Big & Instinctual hard-worker ANY and EVERY time, over the embodiment of some Asante Samuel as a Safety, jumping routes and shying from contact.  

~Another obvious, Post-Draft: Where he hails from-Notre Dame~

Not sure, IF the same stipulations hold now as it did way back when, BUT that immediately tells me 2 things: #1) The Past: Higher Rules & Criterion for athletes than many of the "dumber schools" (see-most schools in FLA...no offense).  #2) He does come from a program that is massively in a transitional state- They're an Independant, The whole Charlie Weiss Situation, and Coaching changes, etc., etc., etc....the program is, by and large, A Mess.  I'm not merely attempting to "glorify" his limited playing time while @ ND, but ya gotta figure in the fact that at least a "greater majority" off student-athletes from ND, DO focus, OR at least, place greater equality of balance on the "student AND athelete" ratio.  Place this coupled, with such uncertainty in within the Football program @ ND as of late, and who knows???

THINGS I just learned about Sergio Brown, himself...

~He's a Special Team's Demon...Blocked Kicks/Field Goals while @ ND...THIS is where he made his biggest mark within the program=to me, at least, A Hustler and hard-banger.
    ~AND Hey Knightsailor...I believe that I just read that Sergio Brown, lol-DID play WR in high-school too!
    ~LOVED this 1:  Sergio Brown coming outta HS WAS By several predicators (USA Today/Chicago Tribune)-A Top 100 NATIONAL Prep Player=so the boy's got mad skills, don't think he doesn't.

~In ALL, I ain't sayin' he's the 2nd coming, BUT Sergio Brown very much seems like...idk, A Patriot type of guy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Good stuff Laz... keep'em coming.

Sections
Shortcuts