boyce + no burst= bust...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

boyce + no burst= bust...?

Mystified ,   but really down on Josh boyce.  Where was the 4.3 speed?  had a step on the DB and then nothing.  On the pick and the failed 4th down throw was he not the guy going the wrong way?  His only kick return went to the 15 yard line  ? Really thought he and Dobson were playing for roster spots last night,  and he didn't show anything to separate himself while Dobson at least beat somebody.   Boyce looked slow and indifferent.

At 5-11 , he better be blowing by people or he is unfortunately on the outs.  He was projected as a slot guy but Pats have 2 of those already.  Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and has just mailed it in already.  Could be that his injury history has robbed him of his speed.  Maybe he can't grasp the "system".   Or ... all of the above.

BB has finally got some size in his receiving core.   Dobson and Tyms have shown ability to get over the top.  This could be the end for Boyce...  unless BB clings to another under performing draft pick receiver .... wow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: boyce + no burst= bust...?

If you can't learn the playbook you can't possibly go at full speed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mystified ,   but really down on Josh boyce.  Where was the 4.3 speed?  had a step on the DB and then nothing.  On the pick and the failed 4th down throw was he not the guy going the wrong way?  His only kick return went to the 15 yard line  ? Really thought he and Dobson were playing for roster spots last night,  and he didn't show anything to separate himself while Dobson at least beat somebody.   Boyce looked slow and indifferent.

At 5-11 , he better be blowing by people or he is unfortunately on the outs.  He was projected as a slot guy but Pats have 2 of those already.  Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and has just mailed it in already.  Could be that his injury history has robbed him of his speed.  Maybe he can't grasp the "system".   Or ... all of the above.

[/QUOTE]

Worse than that is that he signaled for the ball on that long pass and he was just barely by the taller defender.  After that it was the defender who blew by him.

SLGDEV/sheldong/sheldonlg

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Boyce clearly not on the same page as JimmyG.

I still see Boyce catching the balls he gets to with his hands, not his body. I still see Boyce as the fastest WR on the team. I still see a ton of potential.

Remains to be seen if the Pats see the same..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

Boyce was lousy. He did flash some promise last year, but that is gone. Dobson was definitely not playing for a roster spot last night IMO. Regardless, I thought he looked good given he was coming back from injury.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still see Boyce catching the balls he gets to with his hands, not his body. I still see Boyce as the fastest WR on the team. I still see a ton of potential.

[/QUOTE]

Chad Jackson had potential.

Taylor Price had potential.

Bethel Johnson had potential.

Brandon Tate had potential.

Potential doesn't run routes and catch passes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to sml1210's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, knowing where to go is more important than how fast you can get there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why can't these coaches tap that potential?

why is this GM misreading that potential?

why are players being selected in the draft that are not understanding this offensive system, even though they flourished in a passing offense in college?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why are players being selected in the draft that are not understanding this offensive system, even though they flourished in a passing offense in college?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Bad coaching and bad GM work. All the other teams nailed their receiver picks, just look at the Lions...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Bad coaching and bad GM work. All the other teams nailed their receiver picks, just look at the Lions...

[/QUOTE]

obviously I was being sarcastic. ultimately its on the player (because he is the one who gets cut)..but seems to be a pattern here, no? if you throw in the free agent poor decisions at Wr (other than Edelman) at what point do you look at the chooser rather than the choosee?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

at what point do you look at the chooser rather than the choosee?

[/QUOTE]

I'd say you can start when they stop winning so much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]
    Who did the Lions draft and at what position were they taken??

Always Right.....at least in my mind

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Boyce was a 4th round pick last year with obvious physical skills.  With the exception of a couple of plays last year he hasn't impressed me. Honestly, if he makes the 53-man roster I'll be disappointed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]
    Not sure if it's either unless the question of putting defense in a position and scheme to succeed, but the receivers are expected to play to the tune of TB and McDaniels when the maybe can't. 

I remember a clip of Bledsoe asking Brady on the sidelines what plays he liked and didn't .   Wonder if that would work with WRs.   I don't know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boyce was a 4th round pick last year with obvious physical skills.  With the exception of a couple of plays last year he hasn't impressed me. Honestly, if he makes the 53-man roster I'll be disappointed.

[/QUOTE]

I am on the fence with Boyce... that being said with the measurable Boyce has you would have to think he would be given a 2nd year based on their track record with Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price and Brandon Tate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I labeled Boyce a bust last year and was quickly jumped on by the usual suspects.  Guess I was right. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am on the fence with Boyce... that being said with the measurable Boyce has you would have to think he would be given a 2nd year based on their track record with Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price and Brandon Tate.

[/QUOTE]

You're more than likely correct; I'll still be disappointed.  And if the kid gets a second year and ends up kicking bootie then I'll own up to selling him short.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

As I said last year, people need to temper their expectations.  Most fourth round picks are nothing more than roster filler.  This idea that Boyce was some kind of prize never made any sense.  When half the receiving corp was hurt and he could't beat Austin Collie to the game day roster it was obvious he was on the Taylor Price route.  And Price was a third rounder . . . 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

might that be when Brady stops playing?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

might that be when Brady stops playing?

[/QUOTE]

There'll be a hiccup or two when Brady's gone but I don't see them plummeting off the edge of the table.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]
    Not sure if it's either unless the question of putting defense in a position and scheme to succeed, but the receivers are expected to play to the tune of TB and McDaniels when the maybe can't. 

I remember a clip of Bledsoe asking Brady on the sidelines what plays he liked and didn't .   Wonder if that would work with WRs.   I don't know.

[/QUOTE]

good point. I keep hearing that Boyce has the most talent, but cant learn the offense. either make the offense simpler, or don't draft him. seems the same guy makes both decisions (and its not Boyce)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good point. I keep hearing that Boyce has the most talent, but cant learn the offense. either make the offense simpler, or don't draft him. seems the same guy makes both decisions (and its not Boyce)

[/QUOTE]

Is it really that black and white, rkarp?  Is it not possible that the kid is talented, bright enough but simply can't grasp it?  I mean I can assure you I have seen a good many people over the years who were bright and committed enough but just couldn't grasp certain concepts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I always felt like there were 2 positions that BB and the scouting staff had blind spots for; WR and DB's.  Remember all those DB draft picks we made that never panned out?

HOWEVER, if you look close enough you can see the mark of an intelligent manager.  Smart people know when they aren't getting it done and make adjustments.  We have since acquired some decent players via the draft and UDFA. Who drafted McCourty?  Who drafted Dennard?  Who drafted Ryan?    Who drafted Dobson?  Who signed KT? Who signed Butler?  We've gotten better in those positions.  A great GM made an adjustment.  Ahhh.... but if we miss on anyone, anyone at all then BB must stink.

You'd think we never draft or pickup any good players.  We have one of the most talented teams in the NFL yet we have a bad GM...  Take off the feces stained glasses.  Don't try telling me to take off my rose colored glasses because unless I'm mistaken we do indeed have one of the best teams in the NFL top to bottom.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As I said last year, people need to temper their expectations.  Most fourth round picks are nothing more than roster filler.  This idea that Boyce was some kind of prize never made any sense.  When half the receiving corp was hurt and he could't beat Austin Collie to the game day roster it was obvious he was on the Taylor Price route.  And Price was a third rounder . . . 

[/QUOTE]

Pro, you're better than this.

The only way you should mention Boyce and Collie in the same sentence would be to say Boyce and Collie should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Boyce is a like a thoroughbred that has no stretch drive.

Collie is an excellent route runner and pass catcher with plenty of speed to boot.   When the playoffs started he was the Pats best wide receiver not named Edelman.  I realize that might not be saying much, considering the rookies on the roster, but Brady trusted him and he picked up the play book faster than anyone I can remember.  The only thing that keeps him off an NFL roster is his concussion history.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I labeled Boyce a bust last year and was quickly jumped on by the usual suspects.  Guess I was right. 

[/QUOTE]

Haha dude you call everyone a bust right out of the shoot. At some point a guy won't stick and you'll be right.

Clearly Boyce is a football dumbo but can a 4th rounder really be considered a bust?