Brace a Bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Re: Brace a Bust?

Pryor has played better but I also think he is better in pass situations right now. Brace is a hulk run stopper and we already have one of the best on the field. I think Brace will be fine. He's not getting playing time because of Wilfork and he has more to learn. 

What can you say? Pryor has really impressed but that doesn't mean Brace is a bust yet. Plus a big fat run stopper isn't the type of player that gets the limelight. It took Wilfork a few years to develop into a disrupting force on the line. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I wish we had Maualuga and no Brace..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

bill has had a great draft and management recruiter in floyd reese. the only "bust" thus far has been ron brace. thats pretty good. i believe the problem with brace is that pryor has performed like the higher draftee rather than the lower one (6th i think) that he was. u cant play everyone esp rookie guys. he will be fine. will play next year. i dont believe wilfork is coming back. even if he does, u could keep brace on the bench for another year or 2 as other guys get old and are shipped out.  seriously, with everyone healthy, whose place will he take? u cant play everyone. when he has played, he looks good. i will reserve bust for the next year or two. if they sign wilfork, he may be the odd guy out, not because he is a bust but just because of attrition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Brace a Bust?:
    [QUOTE]Calling a guy a bust 9 games into his career is nothing short of ridiculous.  What did Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork do their rookie years?  Not too much.  Brace could turn out to be a great player, or could never becoming a useful player, but at this point we know nothing about what his future holds at all.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

Nose is one of the hardest positions on the field to learn and he's learning a completely different technique than he played at BC. Give him a break!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]all we will do is trade down and even then whoever it is will not be a proven commodity. seymor would have helped for a superbowl run and it seemed unfair just like when we dumped mcginest because we didn't want to pay him
    Posted by uncleadam13[/QUOTE]

Did you think about this post at all before publishing it? What does "unfair" have to do with anything?

We "dumped" macginest when his production fell below the salary he was making and when we could still get something in return for him. Excellent move.

same thing for seymour who's been dogging it here for the past two years. It was a brilliant move for BB to get a high 1st rounder for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Really? A bust? Take a look at Mike Vrabel's career. He didn't crack the starting lineup his first four seasons in Pitt. Was he a bust? Sanctimonious idiots like the one who started this tread are who give Boston sports fans a bad name. Get a life.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

People were saying the same for Chad Jackson. Give the kid a chance, he'll be back. And he got thrown out.

And then same for Kevin O'Connell. He has vision, accuracy blah blah, better than Cassel!! lol! And he got released. 

Brace is a bust. The sooner we fact that the better. We are lucky we managed to find Pyror so the damage isn't so bad from the Brace bust. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

1 defensive snap against the Jets.

Something is wrong with this picture.

Since BB does not provide any info, we can only go by what we see (don't see) on the field.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Randy Moss played 1 snap on defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Perhaps Pryor was more NFL ready coming from the SEC, but it's too early to say Brace is a bust. They can afford to bring him on slowly this year with Wilfork showing him the ropes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I guess if Wilfork is re-signed we can conclude Brace is a bust.

But even if that were so, the emergence of Pryor definitely makes up for it. Nobody expects 6th round picks to be contributors, nevermind instantly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Why is this thread getting so much play?

Our defense is playing really well, moreover we've been running a 2/4/5 defense or a 3/4 all season.  Vince Wilfork is our nose tackle, Mike Wright is his backup and Warren can play nose as well...  Brace isn't going to see the field because defensive tackle is our deepest position, even without Seymour.

Pryor gets more PT because he has more mobility and can play end, Brace is more Ted Washington than defensive end.  Even if he was a "bust" it will be a long time before we ever know so why are we concerned again..? 

Anyone prematurely labeling him a bust at this point must have late night dinner conversations with Belichick and should really invite me over one night...  I'll bring the dessert.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

This thread is a Bust...................

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

You could be right wozzy, and it's definitely too soon to be sure, obviously.

But let me know if I've missed some recent BB quotes like "Ron is working really hard at practice. He's making strides every day. He just happens to play a position where we have a lot of depth, and Pryor has obviously been a pleasant surprise."

I haven't heard any such quotes from BB, and I'd feel better if Brace were getting even 5 or 6 snaps a game. Brace exhibiting some ability, even in limited snaps, only helps the Pats in their negotiations with Wilfork.

I'm not at all ready to write Brace off as a bust, but I'm highly inclined to conclude he hasn't exactly set the practice field on fire so far.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Brace has been on the injury reports, he was a product of BJ Raji but the kid has tons of potential.  Playing a two gap position in the NFL is different than what he was used to getting one on one against a linemen in college because most of any double team went to BJ Raji.
    Brace needs to get used to what he's doing, by playoff time I think he'll get more playing time and begin picking up his role.  Calling him a bust right now is not right, we have one bust on the team LM.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickb101. Show rickb101's posts

He has had too many scratches.  A second round pick on a DL that has had alot of injuries and he doesnt dress for most games?  Of course he is a bust.  If he had even the slight bit of talent he would be dressing at the very least.  Another bad pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]You could be right wozzy, and it's definitely too soon to be sure, obviously. But let me know if I've missed some recent BB quotes like "Ron is working really hard at practice.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

There are only so many snaps in a game, I can't get into practices or into Bill's brain but just a look at the roster tells me Brace is way down on the depth chart.  I haven't heard anything negative about Brace from BB either so I can only assume it's game planning and personnel. 

We have been running a 2/4/5 most of the season, two tackles, 4 linebackers and 5 defensive backs with Banta Cain and Burgess playing as down linemen.  Even when we've gone with more beef upfront we've only gone 3/4, thereby limiting the need for tackles and run stopping (nose) tackles especially. 

We're limiting our use of defensive linemen and have increased the amount of safeties on the field at any given time... why I don't know, I suspect because Bill has always liked creating mismatches and especially with defensive backs.  We've given up a little in run defense, but maybe it's to keep the big guys healthy for the playoffs or because Bill just prefers Brace sit and watch Wilfork?   

Again I'd only be making an educated guess...  but we haven't exactly needed him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The Patriots have more draft picks then most teams year after year thanks to BB and his ability to build a team through the draft. BB drafts for value and with the amount of picks we have what is wrong for drafting "Developmental players" Guys to sit on the bench and learn the NFL and our system so they can be ready to contribute at a later point. Yes there is no experience like live game action but maybe Brace is not ready for that yet. No problem. We had 4 2nd round picks. Tough for all of them to see the field.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fessin. Show fessin's posts

This idiot was probably complaining back in 2007 about how Merriweather was a bust.  Now he is one of the top safeties in the league.  Just because Johnson was a bust doesn't mean jack.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Not saying Brace is a bust--I always thought that he was insurance for Wilfork leaving--but I though he would have gotten more run at this point.  I'd give it to the end of next year before I'd label him anything.   

Look at it this way though, the glass is half full point of view.  Of this past year's picks, 3 of the 4 2nd rounders look like pretty good picks at this point.  Butler, Chung and Vollmer all look like they will be good to very good NFL players.  Brace?  Who knows?  Way to early to tell. 

And also look at it this way.  They have 2 other guys who may help next year (Tate, McKenzie).  And Pryor and Edelman look like they'll be around a while too. 

So we can criticize the Pats for making a bust pick without seeing what happens over time.  Or we can be glad that this past draft is looking like the foundation for the next 3 or 4 years or longer. 

Just a thought...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]This idiot was probably complaining back in 2007 about how Merriweather was a bust.  Now he is one of the top safeties in the league.  Just because Johnson was a bust doesn't mean jack.
    Posted by fessin[/QUOTE]

Agree, also what was every expert saying when we took Voll, could have gotten him in the late third they guy is not good enough to play LT blah blah...How has that worked out?  How did he do against Indy pass rush which btw is one of the better ones in the NFL.  I trust Bill's decision and talent accessment he has hit more than he has missed.  Every coach has those picks they would have never made if they had to do it all over again but to say Brace is a bust and compare to a WR for that matter is not fair.  We have the best NT in the game, I rather have VW and MW in the game than a rookie who played a completely different type of D in college.  He'll learn the system and will be fine, any injury for a guy that will be doubled every down is worst than for a position player.  Why run the risk at messing this kid up for a long time if he can just rest and get 100%

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

[QUOTE]all we will do is trade down and even then whoever it is will not be a proven commodity. seymor would have helped for a superbowl run and it seemed unfair just like when we dumped mcginest because we didn't want to pay him
    Posted by uncleadam13[/QUOTE]

The difference with Seymore, McGiniest and Dillion for that matter was that Belichick cut McGinest and Dillion early in the offseason to give them time to hook up with a new team and have a full training camp. No one seems to remamber that Seymores last contract was structured that he'd be young enough for one more payday at the end of this contract. The Pats would have never gotten a good value to try to give him a new contract or just to have let him go. The sweet thing about an Oakland pick is that it could be a top 5 or even the number 1 over all if they don't get things fixed there soon.  I think it was a heck of a deal. Imagine if they have a rookie salary structure in place then, you could get some excellent value. No one wants to trade up for a top 10 pick, you dump your whole cap into one player. Now if they have a rookie salary structure you may find teams willing to trade up for #1 overall cause it wont kill their cap. I think the draft will become really exciting soon.

The down fall of the Oakland pick, the only one I can see, is that its possible that all the qualitity college players may declare for this years draft cause they know it'll cost them millions in 2011.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Brace a Bust?:
    [QUOTE]Is it too early to label Brace a bust? Last week the defense played with 2 DL for a large part of the game. Brace got on the field for 2 plays. He's about as useless as Vernon Gholston is for the Green Slime.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget Gholston was a top ten pick and Brace is a 2nd rounder who plays behind one of the best NT's in football.  I think you need to give this one some time pats fan. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

It's taken 3 years and Meriweather is looking like a fine player. Very good.

The problem becomes this:  What happens with the contract.  He will be LOOKING for the big bucks.  Do the Pats pay him.

Wilfork, Gostkowksi, and Muroney expire.  Who do you sign?

Chung and Butler look like potentially good players.  They make plenty of mistakes.  Willhite drives me crazy.  Let him go.

VOLLMER clearly is the steal of the draft.  Credit to BB on that one.

Ron Brace - who knows, give him another year then we will see.

Sections
Shortcuts