Brady addicted to Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Brady addicted to Welker

This just occurred to me like a slap in the face.

Welker has a unique skill set that a quarterback loves... He gets separation and he gets it right NOW.  quick-twitch acceleration that Brady can see at the exact time that he wants to throw it... RightNOW.  If you clock it , Brady releases the ball to ww on most completions before every other receiver in the league has completed a simple route.

This explains all the receiver failures that have come and gone while also explaining the disparity between 20 targets for ww and 1 for Lloyd.

it also explains the bliwout to baltimore when welker was injured AND thw loss to nyj when BB stupidly benched ww for some petty reason.

patriots coaches and Brady  need to wake up and either run the ball or run a play where a receiver can complete a route that IS NOT NAMED WES WELKER.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: Brady addicted to Welker

The parallels to addiction go further... When Brady held the ball and tried to deliver a bomb to moss in 2008 he got hit and knocked out for the season .  It reinforces the compulsion to get rid of the ball... Right?

Enough psychology 101... Point is find a balance where Brady can complete passes to more receivers.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Welker has a unique skill set that a quarterback loves... He gets separation and he gets it right NOW.  quick-twitch acceleration that Brady can see at the exact time that he wants to throw it... RightNOW.  If you clock it , Brady releases the ball to ww on most completions before every other receiver in the league has completed a simple route.

This explains all the receiver failures that have come and gone while also explaining the disparity between 20 targets for ww and 1 for Lloyd.

it also explains the bliwout to baltimore when welker was injured AND thw loss to nyj when BB stupidly benched ww for some petty reason.

patriots coaches and Brady  need to wake up and either run the ball or run a play where a receiver can complete a route that IS NOT NAMED WES WELKER.

it occurs to me every game i watch when there is a wr open (including in the end zone) and brady is locked on welker who is double covered.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

It occurred to me YEARS ago.  It's still very concerning. It really is. Go to Pats.com and look at the post locker room video from the Miami game. Brady all but makes love to Welker in the locker room.  Then, he walks over to a confused Lloyd congratulating him.   This, all after they almost lost because Brady wanted to run a shotgun base spread, ignoring the run in the first half. It's very odd. Brady looks thrilled to have played a terrible game and barely escape simply because he wanted to throw as much as he did.  

The fact is, every defense knows this, too. It's why Ochocinco isn't to be blamed last year or why Lloyd isn't to be blamed this year.   The crack pipe is real and I am just not convinced BB can ween him off it in time.  We'll see.

Thank you...  I've been hittin off that pipe myself with all the completions and touchdowns ya know...?  But really there is a disconnect between ww and every other receiver in th league.   he's different. He's better...  in a lot of ways.  But in this league you can't be one dimensional. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Brady also throws to Gronk and Hern a lot. I think the issue has been the lack of true wideouts. Lloyd is more effective than Branch was last year, but I really wanted to see the Pats pick up a guy like Garçon during the last offseason. Someone like that would change the dynamics of the passing game I think. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Brady also throws to Gronk and Hern a lot. I think the issue has been the lack of true wideouts. Lloyd is more effective than Branch was last year, but I really wanted to see the Pats pick up a guy like Garçon during the last offseason. Someone like that would change the dynamics of the passing game I think. 

It's like we're talking about split seconds ... that it takes to get rid of the ball.  ( before you get drilled). Don't know if it's the receiver or the addiction... that needs to be changed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

...Brady looks thrilled to have played a terrible game and barely escape simply because he wanted to throw as much as he did...

Yeah, BRADY is the OC. Josh is only a figurehead. They certainly didn't go down there with a plan and if they did, Brady just ignores it & does what he wants. LMFAO. This must be the latest Rusty incarnation.

I couldn't believe they didn't try to run to at least keep from being one dimensional, but I guess BB & Josh figured it was the way to go for the first half, where they scored 17 points. Not bad for a halftime score. They did run it more in the 3rd and got ZERO points. The final drive worked to perfection though. So I guess they ran it juuust as much as they needed to and won

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

This is one addiction I think most Patriot fans can live with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to hang3xc's comment:

...Brady looks thrilled to have played a terrible game and barely escape simply because he wanted to throw as much as he did...

Yeah, BRADY is the OC. Josh is only a figurehead. They certainly didn't go down there with a plan and if they did, Brady just ignores it & does what he wants. LMFAO. This must be the latest Rusty incarnation.

I couldn't believe they didn't try to run to at least keep from being one dimensional, but I guess BB & Josh figured it was the way to go for the first half, where they scored 17 points. Not bad for a halftime score. They did run it more in the 3rd and got ZERO points. The final drive worked to perfection though. So I guess they ran it juuust as much as they needed to and won

its not just running, its when, and how (design)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

Brady looks for Hernandez almost as often when hes healthy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

gonna suck for you when they don't resign him

and the receiver failures were just bad draft picks/signings

I hope Welker returns, but I won't be devastated.  As crazy as this may sound, I thought Brady was a better QB when he had few weapons around him.  The stats tell me I'm bonkers and should check in with a psychiatrist, but it's how I really feel.  In fact, I believe Brady's best year as a QB was in 2006 when we nearly went to the SB.  He had no weapons.  Gaffney was signed during the season.  Brown was already showing his age (but still made a great play in San Diego), Caldwell was our best WR, and we had and released Doug Gabriel.  I liked that Brady way more than the guy who puts up great stats now.  Welker is like giving a calculator to a math student for most of the year.....and then you take it away for the final exam.  Take away Welker and Brady still has a ton of weapons who can catch the ball between the numbers.  He just needs to channel his old self in a post Welker world should that happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

you dont quite have it understood. Brady locking in on Wes during the games you mention is not an affinity for Wes. It is a reflection on the OL not alllowing him the time to look at options 2,3,4. So Brady finds the first open option, Wes (or Gronk)

If the OL gives him time, Brady looks at all options and finds the open man, not only Wes.

The losses you refer to the OL played poorly

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Any QB, including Brady, is going to look for the open reciever. It appears to be WW a lot of the time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

As well he should be addicted to Welker.  Hernandez has hands of stone a little too often for my taste even though he's a very dynamic and versatile player.  Lloyd is what he is and that's that.  Gronk is out...so he's not really looking too much to any other guys...which is going to bite us in the playoffs if it keeps up.

I would have loved to have signed Reggie Wayne...he's one of those guys that can get deep, but also willing to take a pounding in the middle of the field.  There's a reason BB really likes that guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I think its scheme.  Force the D to cover the entire width of the field with spread receivers while throwing easier balls to those that operate in the center and find the seams in coverage.

As Prolate pointed out, the TE's get plenty looks and they operate in the same space as welker. 

All of that said, the TE's and Welker are all pretty damn good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Well they got lucky and have one of the highest scoring offenses in NFL history again.  Amazing accomplishment, despite not having the brilliant insights of boston.com members sitting at home in their underwear tapping out football strategy gold. 

Personally, I wish you guys would stop pointing out all the ways to run an offense better than the Patriots because some Buffalo Bills coach or Jets coach might see it and then the Patriots run of dominance is over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I kind of agree with the original post, but the you watch as he throws to Hernandez and Gronk and then how do explain all of it? I do think he needs to start looking around the field a bit more and spread it out to a guy like Llyod - Brady said that the guy is open, he's just not looking his way enough. To me this is a problem when we face better defenses.

Still I think it has more to do with who's healthy and who isn't right now. And I'm not sure that Lloyd is open as much as Brady was telling people on weei this Monday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

you dont quite have it understood. Brady locking in on Wes during the games you mention is not an affinity for Wes. It is a reflection on the OL not alllowing him the time to look at options 2,3,4. So Brady finds the first open option, Wes (or Gronk)

If the OL gives him time, Brady looks at all options and finds the open man, not only Wes.

People never seem to get the role the OL plays in many of the Pats' losses.  Generally, this OL is quite good, but the injuries take their toll and the line doesn't always perform great, especially when key players are hurt.  Brady makes the line look better than it really is because he gets rid of the ball quickly.  But take away Welker and Gronk (both of whom allow for quick strikes) and Brady cannot make up for an O-line that is struggling to protect him. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Exactly... The pass blocking gives Brady only so much time.  Its all about time. If you throw to Welker 100 times after 2.1 seconds (not an actual measurement), the clock  in your head gets recalibrated.  Some of his missed throws against Miami were too early.  This is what the addiction is doing.  It messes with the timing of the whole offense. 

The real problem is when you take Welker out ( which is what they should do in practice at full speed.). Online has to block better .  They're addicted to Welker too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

The OP:

Rusty old scissors Royalty Free Stock Photo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Brady has trust in Welker the most. Shame on the Patriots if they don't find a way to bring Welker back next season.  It will make defenses around the league that much easier to defend us, if Welker is not on this team.  Not sure why they are playing hard ball with a guy like Welker.  Makes no sense for a guy who plays week in and week out and keeps the chains moving on a consistent basis.  There is NO other Welker in this league.  The Chemistry between him and Brady is remarkable.  You can't just plug another guy in his spot and expect same or similar results, won't happen.  Hopefully Pats and Welker find a way to come to terms for next season, or even longer. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

So, what you are saying here is Brady should make more attempts to throw to other receivers, just to spread the ball around more, so as not to appear to be focused on Welker?  If that is the case, I can see it now when his INT rate goes up because the other receivers are no where near as open as Welker most of the time.  The screams from this board will be loud!  From above, the "other" receivers may appear open, but, from Brady's vantage point, he may not see them as open.  You try and stand behind an O-line of 6' 5" + folks, with defenders all around, and throw a pass before you get hammered.   It always seems easier from the comfy confines of your couch!

Sections
Shortcuts