Brady and my old dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Brady and my old dog

Maybe its the bone chilling cold. Maybe its the 2 feet of snow on the ground. Maybe its the fact I spent the last 2 hours snowblowing a 1/4 mile path to a small skating pond in the woods behind my house for my boys to play on. Something started me thinking about the fact that sooner rather than later we will be without Tom Brady. It was difficult trying to imagine gearing up for a Pats season without Brady under center. Try as I might the image was fuzzy when I attempted to picture the moment when its all over. It reminded me of my beloved old Rotti, Yukon. I had him for over 11 years and every so often the thought that his time was growing short crept into my mind. I tried to start preparing myself for the days after he was gone. It was always the same fuzzy picture when I imagined him not being there. After 2 apartments, several girlfriends, 3 jobs, a house, wife and two kids it seemed as if he was ingrained in everything around me. It feels the same with Brady. The closest thing I can compare it to is when Bird retired. How could there be the Celtics without Larry?

Perhaps its the fact that time fades the memory but the Brady era seems to be in a category by itself. Perhaps it has been the fact that TB's tenure has overlapped a coming of age period in my own life(27 to 38). I dont know for sure. When I had to put Yukon down about a year ago I realized that, for some of lifes chapters, you cant really prepare. You just have to wait for that fuzzy picture to come back into focus. Life moves on and change has a way of creeping into our present until it seems like it always was there. Brady seems to have been a Patriot since the beginning. He and BB's era seems to not be an era at all. It feels like it has always just been there. Wasnt it just a couple years ago when Brady was the NFL's hot young guy?! Where has the last decade plus gone? I for one am going to savor every second of these last few playoff runs all the while knowing that someday that fuzzy post-Brady picture will be a reality. Its just not gonna be today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Re: Brady and my old dog

Yup, it's a new year, and here are our Pats...back in the playoffs again.

"Life is short, make profit of the present".. Marcus Aurelius

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

Maybe its the bone chilling cold. Maybe its the 2 feet of snow on the ground. Maybe its the fact I spent the last 2 hours snowblowing a 1/4 mile path to a small skating pond in the woods behind my house for my boys to play on. Something started me thinking about the fact that sooner rather than later we will be without Tom Brady. It was difficult trying to imagine gearing up for a Pats season without Brady under center. Try as I might the image was fuzzy when I attempted to picture the moment when its all over. It reminded me of my beloved old Rotti, Yukon. I had him for over 11 years and every so often the thought that his time was growing short crept into my mind. I tried to start preparing myself for the days after he was gone. It was always the same fuzzy picture when I imagined him not being there. After 2 apartments, several girlfriends, 3 jobs, a house, wife and two kids it seemed as if he was ingrained in everything around me. It feels the same with Brady. The closest thing I can compare it to is when Bird retired. How could there be the Celtics without Larry?

Perhaps its the fact that time fades the memory but the Brady era seems to be in a category by itself. Perhaps it has been the fact that TB's tenure has overlapped a coming of age period in my own life(27 to 38). I dont know for sure. When I had to put Yukon down about a year ago I realized that, for some of lifes chapters, you cant really prepare. You just have to wait for that fuzzy picture to come back into focus. Life moves on and change has a way of creeping into our present until it seems like it always was there. Brady seems to have been a Patriot since the beginning. He and BB's era seems to not be an era at all. It feels like it has always just been there. Wasnt it just a couple years ago when Brady was the NFL's hot young guy?! Where has the last decade plus gone? I for one am going to savor every second of these last few playoff runs all the while knowing that someday that fuzzy post-Brady picture will be a reality. Its just not gonna be today.

we all mark time in our lives by different events and places and people and they always bring us back to a certain time and place no matter how many years have gone by-our favorite teams and athletes are definitely one of them

ever hear "Time Stand Still" from Rush? says this in a most poignant way

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Kraft is a good owner. He will do whatever he has to - assuring we don't have a perpetual tailspin like the Raiders. But when Brady goes these sure-thing playoff appearances will go with him. I've enjoyed every game he has played and intend to enjoy every one he has left. He is in the Williams, Orr, and Russell category of Boston legends.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good thread and I was thinking of this the other day...how lucky are we to of had this guy for the last 13 years? My daughter was just a baby when we won our first Super Bowl and my wife was ready to give birth to my son during the second Super Bowl. And here we are with another bye week gearing up for another run. Amazing.

Brady is a once in a lifetime talent. This has been a once in a lifetime run. I hate to think what it'll be like when we try to replace this guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Good thread and I was thinking of this the other day...how lucky are we to of had this guy for the last 13 years? My daughter was just a baby when we won our first Super Bowl and my wife was ready to give birth to my son during the second Super Bowl. And here we are with another bye week gearing up for another run. Amazing.

Brady is a once in a lifetime talent. This has been a once in a lifetime run. I hate to think what it'll be like when we try to replace this guy.

queenie has the answer i am sure

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Did you just reference Rush and then call me queenie? Look in the mirror, tutz.  lmao

Did you play Dungeons and Dragons in high school too?  bawahah

no never did though i was/am a tolkien freak

don't see what digging Rush has to do with poking fun at one of ur silly names however

btw least Rush finally made the RRHOF...long overdue of course

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Thats wild. Your daughter must be a teenager now and her entire life has consisted of this greatness. My first son was born in 2003 right after the Super Bowl and my second son (Brady) was born just before the magical(at least for 18 games)2007 season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Thats wild. Your daughter must be a teenager now and her entire life has consisted of this greatness. My first son was born in 2003 right after the Super Bowl and my second son (Brady) was born just before the magical(at least for 18 games)2007 season.

It's funny, but our kids probably won't understand what this time was like. I remember my dad telling me about Bobby Orr and I was like...he can't be better than Bourque! And then I can remember family parties where everyone would be watching the Celtics and Bird would just hit these 20 foot jump shots all day and I thought, this is easy...we'll be winning like this for the rest of my life. Next thing you knew it was over and I was stuck watching Antoine Walker...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

It's funny, but our kids probably won't understand what this time was like. I remember my dad telling me about Bobby Orr and I was like...he can't be better than Bourque! And then I can remember family parties where everyone would be watching the Celtics and Bird would just hit these 20 foot jump shots all day and I thought, this is easy...we'll be winning like this for the rest of my life. Next thing you knew it was over and I was stuck watching Antoine Walker...

Well if Belichick is still coaching I think the Pats can hang on a little longer. The defense seems to be heading in the right direction. If the Pats can get a top 5 defense going they could be like the Ravens. They never go to the super bowl but they are an annual contender. I believe Joe Flacco types are available in every draft. Belichik would never have given Antoine Walker that max contract by the way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

If the next Patriot's starting QB is as good as Brady the league will scrap the salary cap and just make the quarterbacks change teams every year.   Probably need to fine Belichick too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Well if Belichick is still coaching I think the Pats can hang on a little longer. The defense seems to be heading in the right direction. If the Pats can get a top 5 defense going they could be like the Ravens. They never go to the super bowl but they are an annual contender. I believe Joe Flacco types are available in every draft. Belichik would never have given Antoine Walker that max contract by the way.

Yeah, honestly we probably have our Joe Flacco type right here on the roster now (Mallett), although I hope he's better than that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

apparently there are two young Roethlisbergers in Ohio who will be ready for the draft in 4 or 5 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to seymonster's comment:

apparently there are two young Roethlisbergers in Ohio who will be ready for the draft in 4 or 5 years.

well Brady's son will probably be ready around 2030 or so...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I will shed a tear the day Brady hangs up the cleats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Did you just reference Rush and then call me queenie? Look in the mirror, tutz.  lmao

Did you play Dungeons and Dragons in high school too?  bawahah

no never did though i was/am a tolkien freak

don't see what digging Rush has to do with poking fun at one of ur silly names however

btw least Rush finally made the RRHOF...long overdue of course

I'm a longtime JRR man myself. Love the Fighting Irish too. You would be a hell of a guy if not for that "jints" issue you have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, honestly we probably have our Joe Flacco type right here on the roster now (Mallett), although I hope he's better than that.

My gut on Mallet is that he will be Bledsoelike. And I'm not too thrilled about that. After Brady's legendary ability to take care of the ball, Mallet will be painful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

My gut on Mallet is that he will be Bledsoelike. And I'm not too thrilled about that. After Brady's legendary ability to take care of the ball, Mallet will be painful.

If Mallet is anywhere near Bledsoe then the Pats would be lucky to keep him. The Pats did go to a superbowl with Bledsoe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

ya these re the good old days for Pats fans! It really stinks to think we are in the 4th quarter of TB12's career! Enjoy the day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

ya these re the good old days for Pats fans! It really stinks to think we are in the 4th quarter of TB12's career! Enjoy the day!

Thats a good way to put it. We certainly are in the "4th" qtr of this ride. As someone else noted, these are the "good old days" for the Pats. The mid 80's Niners, the late 90's broncos etc.

Guys, look at the last 5-10 years for both the Celtics and Red sox. Most of us would say for the most part its been a great run for both of them as a whole. Mulitple playoff runs, championships, consitent contender. Think about that compared with the Pats 12 year stretch. No comparison. No real "let down" year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Truthfully just about any QB that comes in after Brady will be painful. I had season tickets when Bledsoe was here and honestly I don't think I've ever seen a QB that could throw the football like that live (and I've seen Elway, Favre, Brady, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Culpepper and many others that had an arm). The problem with Bledsoe was he would go through these stretches that you just knew he didn't know (or couldn't react to) what the defense was doing. He also had feet made of stone and as soon as he had to move them (after he initially set his feet) he was done - every pass after that was a mystery...ball would sail, go into the ground, go behind the reciever, way too out in front...his feet killed him.

I was at the game he threw that interception to the Steeler's defensive lineman - I don't think I've ever seen a play so dumb. Then in other stretches I'd see him make the most beautiful passes where the ball would be on a perfect trajectory...just slicing threw the air. He was always frustrating to watch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Mallett could be the QB of the future, but I and most here have not seen him play him enough to really make an accurate assessment. Unfortunately one thing is certain; one day Brady will not be the QB of the Pats.It's just inevitable. I'd like to say there won't be a Manning to Curtis Painter precipitous drop in QB play, but I don't know for sure. My guess is BB  will start drafting a QB in the next two years. He might draft a QB in 2013, but I don;t think he uses a 1st or 2nd round pick to draft a QB. A more likely scenario is that BB drafts a QB from 3rd on and coaches a young QB up. As opposed to a Sanschise/Jets scenario where a GM (no longer employed) trades 4 draft picks for some supposedly great QB in a huge trade up. There is also a possibility that BB signs a free agent, but that is hard to project because I don't honestly don't know which FA QBs will be available in 2015-2017.

I'm sure BB and Kraft will have a core group of decent players to work with a New QB (Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley, Mayo, Solder, Spikes, Jones etc....). Also a big drop off when Wilfork (31?) retires; he is easily the Pats best defensive player and arguably the best DT in football. This is why some (including myself) want the Pats brass to look at this year's deep DT 2013 draft. A player as dominant as 'Fork is difficult to replace and you have to start looking early and maybe get a player (DT) that 'Fork can tutor.

As a sidenote, we also get to find out if Ozzie can replace Lewis and eventually Ed Reed. Both great players. BB has already rebuilt his D on the fly his friend Ozzie will now have to partially rebuild his D as well. This is standard in the NFL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Bob Ryan said it best a few years back...these are the golden years and they'll NEVER be like this again.  I think it was in 2004 when he said that.  He was spot on.

This is one of those special times likely never to be duplicated in the same spot...ie, 49ers of the 80s, Cowboys of the 90s, etc.  However...BB has obviously created a system that can endure.  Depending on how he comes up with his succession plan, it's possible for us to have some measure of sustained success going forward.  Five SB appearances in 10 seasons? That lelvel might be impossible...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The changing of the guard for the Pats will be the toughest on the fan base who has yet to experience adversity in which the Pats struggle week after week.  This 10+ year run, with an expected 3 - 5 years more, is magical and a tough pill to swallow when it is done.  But, as many have pointed out, BB as coach can be around well after Brady as will Kraft as owner.  With these two, plus the coaching staff, in place, the Pats continue to be a force in the NFL.  Look at all the ups and downs we have experienced with the Bruins, Celtics and Sox.  There were magical years with them, too.  A brief time with Yaz way back when then the run with Manny and crew with 2 WS wins this past decade.  The Celtics with Red at the helm, followed by the Bird years succeeded with the Big Three.  Bruins with the years of Orr and Esposito then the Bourque years and the recent Stanley Cup.  All over there will be ups and downs, but, this Patriots run is one for the ages, on par with the Celtics, almost, lacking only a handful more of Lombardis.  From 2001 to present, can sports fans of NE ask for more from their professional teams as we have seen?  Is there any other fan base that has experienced such a run of success among all of its pro teams?

Sections
Shortcuts