Brady and Pats Close to Deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Re: Brady and Pats Close to Deal?

The guy has had one serious injury in his entire career and put up big numbers last year despite being nicked up with the finger, ribs, etc.  No long term injury worries with #12 whatsoever. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

19 mil per season is a nice deal for both sides, just wish it was for longer than 3 years.  Tom and Belichick walk away after 2013?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Brady and Pats Close to Deal?:
    [QUOTE]The guy has had one serious injury in his entire career and put up big numbers last year despite being nicked up with the finger, ribs, etc.  No long term injury worries with #12 whatsoever. 
    Posted by 123meg[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying you need to follow him around with a stretcher, but I do think he's has shown enough on the injury front to at least merit some concern with regard to the length of a deal.  That's all I'm really saying.  Yeah, I'm aware he had his 2nd best year stat-wise last year.  It's why I hate stats.  Personally, I think Brady's best year was in 2006.  Crazy, right?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]19 mil per season is a nice deal for both sides, just wish it was for longer than 3 years.  Tom and Belichick walk away after 2013?
    Posted by 123meg[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Tom, but 2013 could be a candidate year for BB.  The Pats are setting themselves up for another run in the 2011-2013/15 seasons.  If he were to retire about then, and he has won one or two more SB's, he will go out in style and setup the next guy for success.  Personally, I hope he stays much longer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The reconstructed joints are generally stronger than the original joints.  Unless he sustains the same type of injury there is no need for caution, especially since he now wears knee braces. 

He can either walk away after 4 years or more likely get another deal in 2014.  It's most likley in his best interest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SausageandPepper. Show SausageandPepper's posts

Mr Kraft is a great businessman but he should put that side to rest for a moment. C'mon man !  Brady should be looking at least six years 120 million. Three years for a Hall of Fame QB in the prime of his career ? C'mon Man!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady and Pats Close to Deal? : Close but not quite. Brady's 2010 Cap figure is a better proxy to use than his 3.5 min salary figure for comparison purposes. So basically this is a $10m+ $58m = 4 years for $68m deal, so on average $17m. This is just higher than Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Brady could have demanded and commanded more no doubt. As usual Brady is taking a fair deal leaning towards a home discount.   Thank god we have Brady.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

No. As far as I know, if or when they renegotiate, they would have to work off of the new figures. To renegotiate a deal a player must, under NFLPA guidelines, receive a per season raise from the standing deal, and must receive more guaranteed dollars than are remaining on the contract. Previously amortized bonuses are not part of the equation, although were there a cap this season they would still count against that.

Let's suppose, to answer another question with speculation, that his SB amounts to something that tops what Bradford made per season in guaranteed dollars, so something between $36 and $40, we'll say $40 because we all think Tom is a great QB. Which would be A/B or $61.5/$40 million.

If Brady wanted to renegotiate his deal the day he is eligible after signing this one (LOL, you never know these days, but IIRC that's 12 months) his new deal would require an increase in the yearly salary average -- the cumulative total of both A and B -- and more specifically a raise in B as well. The leftover bonus is now gone, and would not be used in that negotiation.   

The way teams can make "cap friendly" extensions is by increasing the non-guaranteed dollars and years at a greater rate than the guaranteed dollars. For instance, giving Brady (at that point) an extension that is two years long (making it five years remaining) while only increasing the total yearly figure by $20 million. 

He has already been paid his signing bonus for the contract, and his roster bonus for this season which is counted just like a signing bonus anyway, so they can't apply to a contract that is extended in this way. It's earned money already. 

Hence, I feel more comfortable discussing the money Brady will actually make under this deal, as opposed to money he has earned in the past. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I might add that you are all assuming Tom wanted something longer than three seasons. At 36-7 years, barring injury and still performing, he could get MORE money than he is now, and still be considered "nice" about it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Yeah, I'm guessing the 3 years is Brady's thing.  This way he can scale it up if the market bears it.  Plus, it three years PLUS his current year, so a 4 year deal.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]I might add that you are all assuming Tom wanted something longer than three seasons. At 36-7 years, barring injury and still performing, he could get MORE money than he is now, and still be considered "nice" about it. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Well said Z...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Its a four year deal.  The new money doesn't kick in until after this season.  3 years $58 mil.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Sorry, its a 3 year deal

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The new deal would be 3, but he'd be a Pat for 4 years.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Yeah, that sure is some offense the Jets have isn't it!  LOL! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Also noticed "Gang Green" hasn't won a thing in over 40 years.  How are ya!?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

That d is going to have to have a shutout every night to try to make up for the horrible offense.  And please, get a clue - Sanchez is awful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Jets won't even make the playoffs

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Brady needed to be extended Revis was already under contract. Pretty lame move of the Jet FO to pull a Farve and kiss Darelle's backside.

Sanchez isn't awful he's just not ready to lead a championship team.  It's the Jet offense that's awful.  The offense they generated late last year left the building.  The two top RBs and one of the best running OGs all gone and replaced by wet behind the ears RBs and OG.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

They extended nothing but give Revis more money, on what is essentially a 4 year deal. What exactly has Greene done?  He was supposed to be the guy last year and wasn't.  He has a worse OL and has yet to do anything for any length of time. 

Then again who cares about the 3rd best team in the AFCE, this thread is about Brady and his new deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady and Pats Close to Deal? : Yeah, you are right on.  That was so lame to extend a contract of the best corner in football.  It was equally as lame to do the same for Mangold & Brick.  Now the Jets stuck with these team friendly contracts and great players.  Seems that you think that Shonn Greene is no longer on the Jets.  He is.  I think you'll be impressed by the way he runs forward when they hand him the ball.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

Team Friendly? You guys just paid a cornerback quarterback money. Sounds like your front office is confused. You know how this is called a "Quarterbacks  League" now? A Quarterback gives you the best chance to win. A cornerback can take away 1 player of the opposing team.

I wasn't the smart guy who said this. Gil Brandt(The God Father) was as he shredded a Jets fan on Sirius the other night.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts