Brady clock is ticking

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Brady clock is ticking

In response to TheGronk87's comment:

It`s just ridiculous to see Brady in this stage of his carrer having to develop new WR and the worst part is that none of them is a first round pick.

A first round pick constitutes a sure fire play maker at the WR position?  Pffft.  Is the second round too far for you were Dobson was taken? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Funny I did not see last night's game as a bad Brady game or bad game plan. I saw several passes dropped and a whole lot of open rookie recievers who are still learning the pro game. Like the pass to Dobson over the middle that hit him in the chest as he was just turning to look at Brady. A guy that has played more than two pro games knoews to be looking as soon as you make your move. The rookies are not yet used to the speed of the game that is what I saw ands as stated many times they were open and behind the D but just not ready to make the play.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

I really wanted to have Patterson instead of Dobson and Collins.

You mean the guy that had 1 catch for 5 yards for the team that has the best RB in football that everyone stacks the box to stop?  Plus if you think Dobson or Thompkins are raw Patterson is like 10x more raw.  I really doubt he'd be able to contribute more to this team in the near term which is what you seem so concerned about.

[/QUOTE]

I know he had a bad game, but his QB is Ponder, but IMO( I really respect others opinion) he could contribute a little more, look Dobson had 0 Drops last year, and now in the nfl he had a lot. This mean the level of competition in his conference in the college was not a little bit like NFL, now Patterson played on SEC the best conference in college which is the most close to NFL level of competition, that`s why I think Patterson would be a better fit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

It`s just ridiculous to see Brady in this stage of his carrer having to develop new WR and the worst part is that none of them is a first round pick.

A first round pick constitutes a sure fire play maker at the WR position?  Pffft.  Is the second round too far for you were Dobson was taken? 

[/QUOTE]
     Yeah I know a guy in the first isn`t a sure succes pick but, the chance to find a good player is bigger and there was better receivers than dobson earlier in the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

look at BB job he knew Light will retire after the 11 season what he did? Drafted solder wich learned with Light and than take his spot. same think with the RB, now with the WR he just change the entire group to a non experience players.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

If the Pats had a few veteran wide receivers the rookies would never step on the field again.  That is exactly what had happened in the past.  

I have to believe when Brady allowed his contract to be revised that he expected another vet to be signed at wr.

That TD pass to Dobson though was a thing of beauty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

I saw several passes dropped and a whole lot of open rookie recievers who are still learning the pro game.

Lots of times referencing rookies who "are still learning the game" simply means they suck.

Frankly, FEW that have acted as clueless as these guys have eventually make it. We have a whole series of busts that people have said exactly the same thing about as you are saying about these guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

FOXBOROUGH — Dropped balls. Poorly run routes. Penalties. Reviews. Interminable commercial breaks. Eleven Patriot punts. The Patriots converting four of 18 third downs. Tom Brady’s worst game in at least four years. Frustration bubbling over.

It’s like Gisele says, Tom cannot throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. He looks like he’s reached his boiling point as Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick ask him to throw passes to Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch.

The Patriots staggered and sloshed to a 13-10 victory over the Jets Thursday night. It was virtually unwatchable professional football. In the words of my new favorite Twitter friend, it was like watching a start by Daisuke Matsuzaka. Brady completed only 19 of 39 passes for 185 yards. It was his first sub .500 percentage game since 2009.

Tom was unusually demonstrative throughout the night. He was John Lackey-like (circa 2011). He was clearly frustrated with his young receivers. Brady put his hands to his helmet after one blown route. He did a lot of yelling.

Related PHOTOS Patriots beat Jets, 13-10

And the histrionics?

“I think I have to do a better job with my body language,’’ Brady acknowledged. “I definitely can improve that. I wouldn’t say it’s real strong right now.’’

No. Not at all.

Belichick came to Brady’s defense.

“Tom’s the best leader I’ve ever been around,’’ said Belichick. “I wouldn’t be too critical of him.’’

OK, we won’t. But here’s a little hyperbole for you: The 2013 Patriots look like the worst 2-0 team in the history of football. “The Waltz of the Tomato Cans” is playing over the loudspeaker at Gillette. Again. The locals are artificially inflated by the incompetence of their division opponents. Again.

The 2013 home opener was primarily about Missing Persons. It was about the people who were not there more than it was about the people who were.

You know who.

Wes Welker, the guy who’s missed three games since 2004, was not there. He was a wiseguy, made too much money, and plays for the Broncos.

“It wasn’t easy out there,’’ Belichick said after the sloppy win. “It’s early in the season. We’ll see. Keep grinding it out. Keep playing and get better. I thought we competed well as a football team. Everything we did wasn’t perfect, that’s for sure . . . We ran what we know how to run. We’ve got to do it a little bit better. It was what it was. We made enough to win, but we’re going to have to keep making more than that.’’

“I’m glad we won, but we obviously have a lot of room for improvement,’’ said Brady.

Is he frustrated?

“I think everybody was,’’ said the quarterback. “When you don’t execute the way you want to execute. We have a long way to go. No one’s coming to the rescue to save the day. We’ve got to fight through it. Do better and be more consistent and score more points.’’

Aaron Hernandez was not there. He spent the night where he spends all his nights, in an 8-by-12 foot cell at the Bristol County House of Correction and Jail in North Dartmouth.

Rob Gronkowski was not in uniform. He’s still recovering from surgery and we don’t know when we’ll see him.

Rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld was not in uniform. He’s got a hamstring pull and will have to wait another week before he joins Russ Francis and Ben Coates as all-time Patriots greats.

Danny Amendola wasn’t dressed for action, either. He suffered a groin pull in the first half of Sunday’s season-opening victory at Buffalo, came back to save the game in the second half, but was listed as “inactive” Thursday. Ian Rappaport of the NFL Network reported Amendola could miss up to six weeks. It needs to be stated that Amendola — the replacement for Welker — has missed 21 of his last 34 NFL games.

Does it really matter? Not until January. Remember when Moses Malone said he could take four guys from his hometown in Petersburg, Va., and beat the Celtics? That’s pretty much what we have here. In 2006, Brady went 12-4 throwing to Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell. Now he’s got Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins. And Julian Edelman — who caught a whopping 13 passes Thursday.

These games are a cruel trick. The Patriots beat everybody in their division because they play in a hideous division. Imagine Belichick being fed rookie quarterbacks in the first two games of the season?

The Patriots win and we have no measure of their ability. We know where they are going. They are going to win the bottom-feeder AFC East. Again. And then they are going to play a real team in January and then all the conversation about Brady’s weapons (or lack of weapons) will be relevant.

Brady’s athletic biological clock (colleague Christopher L. Gasper came up with that one) is ticking. It’s hard not to think that this could be a wasted season in the career of one of the NFL’s all-time great quarterbacks.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at dshaughnessy@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter@dan_shaughnessy.

Excellent post.
    I truly believe that TB will retire with 3 rings due to our inept GM. BB has always overelied on TB. The other day, I reviewed the different rosters Brady has had to work with over the years and compared them to the receivers Gomer has had. Except for maybe a couple of years, TB's receivers don't compare with Gomer's receivers. I am referring to the all the years both were starting QBs and am including TEs. Ever since Belichick got burned on the Adalius Thomas bust, he has avoided big, long term contracts to legitimate difference makers. BB has adhered to a rigid value system of acquiring FA jags. And he routinely takes risks on questionable draft choices and FAs that have injury or character concerns in order to aquire good value.This rigid strategy has failed miserably. Clearly, an effective GM has to be selective when acquiring a difference maker (ie. see Mike Wallace). However, to adhere to a rigid value system and never know when to bring in a difference maker on offense or defense displays minimal FO acumen.     

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Look you have a Future HOFer Qb, with more 2 or 3 good years, what a good GM would do? Give to the future HOF Qb great receivers, a good group of players in the field with him, don`t loose his favorite receiver, Draft a top receiver in the Draft. But what our GM do? He just trade back and get average WR in the draft, let the HOF QB favorite weapon go to another team. Really good choises by our GM

When the team was being built for this year (during free agency and the draft), BB had no idea that Hernandez was going to be gone, there was no indication of what type of person he was and what that would lead to. Hernandez was expected to have a monster year, and given all of the current injuries, he might have been huge in both of the games so far. Had they known what was going to happen with him, the building of the team would have been handled differently. What you described here above exactly what the GM did in 2007. He went all in on the offense, trading for Welker and Moss, and hoping that Brady and the high powered offense could carry them to another super bowl. It didn't work, they came up two minutes short in two different super bowls, both because the offense couldn't put up enough points and the defense was just not good enough at the end to close them out. Sorry, but that just didn't work out.

When Gronk gets back, Edelmann (who has been the MVP so far) goes to option number 2. All of these injuries might be the best thing that could have happened for Edelmann, he is next man up and is showing that he can ball. When Amendola gets back, both he and Gronk will be seen as better options that Edelmann, but suddenly you have 3 good options to go throw to, and the rookie WRs drop down to options 4 and 5 and are then fighting each other to get on the field. Maybe Sudfeld can contribute. I think he and Gronk on the field at the same time will open up a lot of options for all of the receivers. And finally Vareen comes back, and you have that guy to throw the screens and swings to, who can also line up wide and create a mismatch on a LB. People just need to have a little patience.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

Excellent post, Zeltgeist troll?  "I truly believe" Brady choked in SB 42 and 46 and generally has been the most spoiled QB in this league since 2007 with the weapons he's had through the years.

Brady retiring with 3 rings will be his own fault. Welker will take his drop to his grave.  

You`re right about the Sb losses

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGronk87. Show TheGronk87's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Excellent post, Zeltgeist troll?  "I truly believe" Brady choked in SB 42 and 46 and generally has been the most spoiled QB in this league since 2007 with the weapons he's had through the years.

Brady retiring with 3 rings will be his own fault. Welker will take his drop to his grave.  

You`re right about the Sb losses

[/QUOTE]

I am right about a lot of things here, troll.  RIght a lot more than I am wrong, I'll tell you that.

[/QUOTE]

I`m not a troll I just have a different vision about the GM job, from yours, we may not agree about the GM but we agree about the Sb losses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

[QUOTE]

If the Pats had a few veteran wide receivers the rookies would never step on the field again.  That is exactly what had happened in the past.  

I have to believe when Brady allowed his contract to be revised that he expected another vet to be signed at wr.

That TD pass to Dobson though was a thing of beauty.

You've always a good fan here, but I noticed you're talking the bait lately. Don't do it. You;ll look foolish in the end.

When Tony Mazz was still writing here back in 2009, he claimed Brady's window was closing back then.

Why? Anti-BB rhetoric is what the Globe wants. ESPN sells it, the Globe saw it, so they do it.

This EXACT same premise can be found by Donaldson, an anti-BB writer, in the Providene Journal.

The question is, do people like this get on the phone and tell one another to write the same article just to make it seem like it's a widely accepted view so they can get more clicks on their columns?

I haven't read anything here by any writer abou the Pats in YEARS. I think Gasper actually charges people to read his drivel. Pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

I once had an encounter with CHB at Spring Training one year. He all but ran away from me. It was hilarious.

Biggest fraud in this town next to Borges.  

[/QUOTE]

I try to see both sides here. Neither BB nor TB are god's.  They both want to win.

You were right about the cap space it was $9.9 million but now it's down to $8.4 million according to 

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2013

Who dropped the cap space to $8.4 in a week? Maybe it takes them time to adjust and I don't know how accurate it is but when you said $10 million that site showed $9.9 million which is on the money.  Now its down to $8.4

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

These kinds of fans are despicable, miserable humans. They'd rather deflect all blame to BB, the GM, because Brady sucked in two SBs or has been AWFUL in his last 3 AFC title games at home.

So, it doesn't really matter.

BB is not going to shorten the team's window by knee jerking overpriced ego maniacs with big mouths like Greg Jennings. or Mike Wallace to appease an entitled fan or an entitled Brady. Ain't happening.

So, if you don't like the way he runs the team, go watch some other overhyped team that the media likes to prop up to drive ratings. The rest of us will be fans and know the score here.

And, picking a WR at random in Rd 1 down at the bottom of Rd 1 does not even guarantee that pick to be superior than what they have gone with.

By mid October, which is what I've said here, people will be asking how BB does it. Just watch.

And, all these little troll idiots, like "Gronk87" and all the generic board names they sign up with out of nowhere, will look like troll idots yet again.

Agreed. I don't always like BB's decisions or agree w/ them but his track record speaks for itself. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Look you have a Future HOFer Qb, with more 2 or 3 good years, what a good GM would do? Give to the future HOF Qb great receivers, a good group of players in the field with him, don`t loose his favorite receiver, Draft a top receiver in the Draft. But what our GM do? He just trade back and get average WR in the draft, let the HOF QB favorite weapon go to another team. Really good choises by our GM

I agree with this. In Denver Manning has been surrounded by weapons. Pats have done it for Brady before with Moss and Welker. Manning would be on strike by now if he was given these receivers Brady has. Danny A to replace Welker was always a risk with his injury history so why didn't BB get someone else as well. Sure enough reports are he is out for 6 weeks after playing 1 whole game straight. I am impressed by the defense though.