Brady Freaks Out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: Brady Freaks Out

I'm pretty sure they were just discussing where to have the Super Bowl victory party. Brady, knowing what Indianapolis is like, was lobbying hard for Hooters (he likes the wings), while O'Brien was insisting he wants a place where he can 'make it rain' (which might be hard to find in Hickville Indiana). Belichick had to come over and tell them 'This is still my ship, I'll be making that call, and we are heading to Vegas, baby!! Now both of you kiss and make up for the cameras, you are making us look like the f---ing Colts here...'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Brady Freaks Out:
    looks like tb was blaming underwood for the int and ob just would not have it. that kind of argument is not the result of one blown play. looks like an argument that's been waiting to blow up for a while now.
    Posted by seattlepat70

Totally agree. There is definitely something else going on behind that blow up, and I bet it has to do with OB's less than perfect game planning. Unless they are waiting for the playoffs to really put the pedal down on the best Pats O (up tempo, 3 tight end sets), somebody is missing the boat, and Brady probably thinks it's OB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

T.B. needed that. He hadnt been checked since 2002 season finale vs Miami when Charlie Weiss let him have it.

Sometimes you need some one to take you down from that high horse.

Hoepfully playcalling is better next week,. I dont wanna see another Tebow comeback or hear about it for weeks after....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hahaha, had to get a little laugh from hard nosed ex coach Brian Billicks take on it this morning saying (paraphrasing) that he didn't see anything wrong with it but you better make sure you don't go at your boss like that too often, and in this case Brady is the boss.

While I might not agree with Brady being the boss of Obrien it just kind of points out that you dont go at Brady like that. Listen, I don't mind Obrien getting on Brady but it's how he did it was totally unprofessional for him to do it that way (screaming, ripping his headphones off and then keep it going) to one of the best in the game. You just don't do that. If Brady needs that let BB be the one to do that not Bill OBrien for goodness sakes. This makes me wonder if OBriens ego is in check or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't have much to add here, although I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Hall had Underwood by the jersey (clearly visible on the replay and chuckled at by the insufferable Dan Dierdorf) before the ball was thrown, which, of course, was not called. I'm not really very surprised by that. The officiating was . . .  curious . . .  all day long (and that's being kind).

A few things:

This:

is expectedly hilarious.

Also . . .  I agree with everyone who said the Pats should have been running in that situation and that, as it was, Underwood was not to blame for not breaking up the pass. It shouldn't have been thrown, and as much as we love Tom Brady, in fairness we should be willing to point out when he gets caught trying to do things that even he can't do.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

TB had a late night partying or a bad fight with Giselle or maybe as some have said the pressure to score every drive is just getting to him. Clearly if the average TB showed up they could have had 50+ points on these guys. I look at  game like this is the best 'win' you can have with 3 more game still left.

This sets up a chance for the best NE team we can expect in the playoffs to show up next week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Brady should have been called out. No one is above the coaching. 

Brady, however, did not audible or change the play. That much is obvious. 

The pass was a little behind him, and TQ was pulled back (missed flag) AND TQ could have fought for it as well. 

But in the end, NE should have been running the football there as well. 

Passing is your highest percentage of scoring a TD in that situation. But you only need a FG to win. Given that it's much easier to kick a FG than score a TD (two incompletes, or two stuffed runs even preserve this), then kicking a FG is the highest WIN percentage. You preserve the chance to score. Running on the goal line there, even three times in a row, preserves the chance to score. Thus providing the best win percentage. 

Bad calls. Bad execution on both TBs and TU's parts. Bad officiating for missing an obvious defensive holding -- which would have also iced the game. 

If OB is calling plays afraid, he is doing so because he's afraid that with four minutes left the defense might let the Skins score a TD in under a minute. 

Considering how we've seen this happen against Buffalo, the Giants, and the Colts, plus the 28th ranked Skins offense basically blew that weak DB crew up yesterday there is reason to be afraid slightly. 

But you don't let it cloud your judgement to situational football. 

But a FG ices that game. And two runs makes it a 4 minute game with a two score lead.  And in the end, it's still unlikely that the Skins score in one minute or two minutes, even as bad as the defense was, convert an onside kick, which is always unlikely when you know it's coming, and then prevent NE from converting a first down to ice the game. Then marching back down the field and tieing the game with a FG. Then being the first to score in OT.

Even though it's clear that BB and OB don't have faith in the RBs to score (and for some good reason, they are mediocre at converting short yardage, and rarely convert past what the line blocks for them) they should have faith they don't fumble it, and that the defense doesn't fold twice, and the offense doesn't fold twice, and the Pats don't lose the coin toss, and then fold on "D" or "O" (or both) in overtime.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm not really focusing on if the pass should have been thrown or not.  Clearly it probably shouldn't, it could have been a game losing mistake.  Brady knows that, he beats himself up over these things as we clearly see in his interviews.  I don't think Brady was blaming Underwood for it other then letting him know that he needs to make a play on the ball. 

My main point is all about O"brien and how he handled the situation on the bench. The guy was out of control.  Hoyer even tried to step in and defuse the situation saying to OBrien 'Come On, Come On" then BB comes over and has a heated look on his face at OBrien and says some words to OBrien.

OBrien handled the situation very poorly.  Losing your cool like that to the leader of the team, a HOF'er, is just bad.  Maybe a different story if it was BB the head coach acting like that but certainly not the OC.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I guess we could look at the Fletcher hit on Brady yesterday as a make up call. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

Oh, I don't think there's any question about that, and it's yet another signpost on the road to NBA-style officiating in the NFL. 'Skins fan has a legitimate gripe on that call -- Brady went into his slide way too late -- but what really churned my butter about that play was our old buddy Dierdorf slurping Fletcher's balls on that play, while he had absolutely nothing to say about the cheap shot 24 took on Gronkowski . . .  or how the roughing against Carter that negated the interception was marginal horsesh*t.

I could go on and on, but I'm not going to.

Dierdort just grinds my gears.

I can't stand that hackneyed doofus.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Someone please tell me NFL films had a mic on this! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't have much to add here, although I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Hall had Underwood by the jersey (clearly visible on the replay and chuckled at by the insufferable Dan Dierdorf) before the ball was thrown, which, of course, was not called. I'm not really very surprised by that. The officiating was . . .  curious . . .  all day long (and that's being kind). A few things: This:   is expectedly hilarious. Also . . .  I agree with everyone who said the Pats should have been running in that situation and that, as it was, Underwood was not to blame for not breaking up the pass. It shouldn't have been thrown, and as much as we love Tom Brady, in fairness we should be willing to point out when he gets caught trying to do things that even he can't do.
    Posted by p-mike

When he let go of the pass TU was coming open. It was a timing throw to the back of the EZ. The refs, as you said, called a curious game, especially between the hashmarks, where it seemed like the Skins' DBs were riding the Pats WR/TEs like a hobby horse.

Outside of the obviously incorrect (and Dierdorff let us know ad nauseum) uneccessary roughness PF for hitting a late sliding TB, the Skins basically got away with murder yesterday. Late hits, helmet to helmet, jersey grabbing. 

When Hall threw that flag, I wished I could tell him that he should fold a couple benjamins in it, and hand it politely back to the ref. It seemed, especially against Gronk and Hernandez, that the Skins decided to interfere on every play and simply dare the refs to make it a game of flags all the way down the field. 

Even on a couple Gronk catches, the LBer covering him was on his back like he was Rocinante.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Brady should have been called out. No one is above the coaching.  Brady, however, did not audible or change the play. That much is obvious.  The pass was a little behind him, and TQ was pulled back (missed flag) AND TQ could have fought for it as well.  But in the end, NE should have been running the football there as well.  Passing is your highest percentage of scoring a TD in that situation. But you only need a FG to win. Given that it's much easier to kick a FG than score a TD (two incompletes, or two stuffed runs even preserve this), then kicking a FG is the highest WIN percentage. You preserve the chance to score. Running on the goal line there, even three times in a row, preserves the chance to score. Thus providing the best win percentage.  Bad calls. Bad execution on both TBs and TU's parts. Bad officiating for missing an obvious defensive holding -- which would have also iced the game.  If OB is calling plays afraid, he is doing so because he's afraid that with four minutes left the defense might let the Skins score a TD in under a minute.  Considering how we've seen this happen against Buffalo, the Giants, and the Colts, plus the 28th ranked Skins offense basically blew that weak DB crew up yesterday there is reason to be afraid slightly.  But you don't let it cloud your judgement to situational football.  But a FG ices that game. And two runs makes it a 4 minute game with a two score lead.  And in the end, it's still unlikely that the Skins score in one minute or two minutes, even as bad as the defense was, convert an onside kick, which is always unlikely when you know it's coming, and then prevent NE from converting a first down to ice the game. Then marching back down the field and tieing the game with a FG. Then being the first to score in OT. Even though it's clear that BB and OB don't have faith in the RBs to score (and for some good reason, they are mediocre at converting short yardage, and rarely convert past what the line blocks for them) they should have faith they don't fumble it, and that the defense doesn't fold twice, and the offense doesn't fold twice, and the Pats don't lose the coin toss, and then fold on "D" or "O" (or both) in overtime.  
    Posted by zbellino

Z, I thought Woody was very effective in his limited carries and could have easily scored in the redzone in the 2 minute drill before the half.  They didnt even need to use Benny, IMO

Danny was killing them. Strange playcalling like this is why I made that thread about the playoffs. If they continue this madness , its one and done again.

Last year they used too much Woody, yesterday it wasnt enough Woody and too much Benny.

I just cant understand how you go away from something thats working.

I have made up my mind that B.B. wants to get Brady to break Marino's record. B.B. also wanted Gronk to have his record. That B.S. almost cost us a game. All  can hope at this point is that come playoff time,, there are no postseason passing records they wish to break and they take their head from underneath their bums and call a good game. I was livid watching that madness. Like I said, by my count we had ONE negative play come from under center thru 3 quarters and over 11 incompletions, INT and bad calls from the Shotgun in 3 quarters.

Not until the Skins had got within one score did they try to settle down and run w/Benny and it was too late and predictable by then....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

TB had a late night partying or a bad fight with Giselle or maybe as some have said the pressure to score every drive is just getting to him. Clearly if the average TB showed up they could have had 50+ points on these guys. I look at  game like this is the best 'win' you can have with 3 more game still left. This sets up a chance for the best NE team we can expect in the playoffs to show up next week.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76

Wouldn't you rather this team be peaking as they enter the playoffs?

Plus, it is, as hard as the defense is to watch, somewhat comforting seeing NE play close games down the stretch. Last season, with the exception of a war wounded GB, they were anhialating everyone that last six games or whatever. 

A team that is playing through adversity now, and consistently being reminded of their shortcomings now, will be less likely to play sloppy football later, like they did against the Jets in last year's playoffs. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: Brady Freaks Out : "Spirited" - LOL.  What you had in yesterday was a 5 year old's response of blaming someone else for the milk he spilled.  Sugarcoat it all you like.  Manning's never been perfect, but as you are seeing now, neither is Brady.  In fact, Brady is currently getting a taste of what it is like to be Peyton Manning.  He has to win games for his team without the benefit of a stout defense.  His early career was a luxury.  Now he has to work, and the recent postseason results aren't spectacular.  It ain't easy for Brady these days.
    Posted by UD6

Easily the most honest thing you have written on this blog that I have read

The sad reality is that the Patriots have become the Colts - regular season juggernauts and playoff losers

Brady looked like a guy yesterday who is pretty frustrated with having to carry the team on his back week after week

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Brady Freaks Out : Z, I thought Woody was very effective in his limited carries and could have easily scored in the redzone in the 2 minute drill before the half.  They didnt even need to use Benny, IMO Danny was killing them. Strange playcalling like this is why I made that thread about the playoffs. If they continue this madness , its one and done again. Last year they used too much Woody, yesterday it wasnt enough Woody and too much Benny. I just cant understand how you go away from something thats working. I have made up my mind that B.B. wants to get Brady to break Marino's record. B.B. also wanted Gronk to have his record. That B.S. almost cost us a game. All  can hope at this point is that come playoff time,, there are no postseason passing records they wish to break and they take their head from underneath their bums and call a good game. I was livid watching that madness. Like I said, by my count we had ONE negative play come from under center thru 3 quarters and over 11 incompletions, INT and bad calls from the Shotgun in 3 quarters. Not until the Skins had got within one score did they try to settle down and run w/Benny and it was too late and predictable by then....
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I can see clearly in this specific situation where they failed to play situational football.

But if, on a off day the offense is scoring 27 points against the 8th best defense, and the defense on what is SCARILY looking closer to an average day than a truly bad one, gets reemed by the 28th ranked offense for 27, you are worried about whether NE needs to be absolutely perfect for every single down on offense, then you should adjust your expectations. 

If they had lost this game, it would have been squarely at the feet of a defense that has given up 50+!!! points to the 28th and 32nd ranked offenses on back to back weeks. 

In short, I have no problems taking that offense into the playoffs. No a bit. They aren't perfect, but no offense is. 

The defense,  (and it really makes me depressed) doesn't look like they belong on an NFL field right now. These are truly terrible offenses basically cutting them up, and it reminds me of a truly mediocre Jets offense dropping 28 on them last postseason. 

While NE may score 30 on the vast majority of weeks, sometimes they won't. That is football, and the average offense scores about 22 a week. I'm not sure the defense, at this point, can make 22 stick, even against bad teams.

If they lose in the playoffs, and their opponent scores another 28-30, it's because of the defense. Not because of O'Brien, who is not perfect, but certainly is not bad. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Brady def. knows that his defense is a revolving door. His desire to win is what makes him want to throw more because he knows his defense aint stopping anyone.

My only question is wil our defense ever be our strength again or we will continue to live and die on Brady's arm until he retires, then build up our "D" again and win with a game manager.

My problem is that someone needs to tell B.B. that its his decisions that have our defense looking horrible and passing as much as possible only causes more 3 and outs and hinders your already bad defense.

This formula is so old and sickening.

Pass, Pass, Pass on the way to a 14-0 lead and continue to pass while the defense catches on and the defense gets hung out to dry and evenutally wilts under pressure and caves in. The results are teams coming screaming back in the 4th quarter due to no T.O.P and then we are trying to run the ball at the end when everyone knows its coming and followed by a 3 and out and the ball back to the opposing offense to tie or win.

This is not gonna work today, tommorow, or 10 years from now in the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Whether Obrien is the right guy or not is another thread. TB blew it on this pass, should not have thrown it, should not have  thrown it to TU, should not have thought about throwing it. 

TB was pissed and when Obrien made any kind of comment, TB responded, what any normal man who just made a bone head play that could cost a tight game would do.

Tom, should not have thrown it and Obrien should know that TB knows that and kept away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Whether Obrien is the right guy or not is another thread. TB blew it on this pass, should not have thrown it, should not have  thrown it to TU, should not have thought about throwing it.  TB was pissed and when Obrien made any kind of comment, TB responded, what any normal man who just made a bone head play that could cost a tight game would do. Tom, should not have thrown it and Obrien should know that TB knows that and keep away.
    Posted by gmbill

I agree with your comment.  BUT this thread is titled Brady freaks out.  It clearly looks like it was OBrien who was the one freaking out and this thread is the perfect place to discuss this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: Brady Freaks Out : Wouldn't you rather this team be peaking as they enter the playoffs? Plus, it is, as hard as the defense is to watch, somewhat comforting seeing NE play close games down the stretch. Last season, with the exception of a war wounded GB, they were anhialating everyone that last six games or whatever.  A team that is playing through adversity now, and consistently being reminded of their shortcomings now, will be less likely to play sloppy football later, like they did against the Jets in last year's playoffs. 
    Posted by zbellino

That is what I am thinking in addtion to expecting their A game next week too.

They are also seeing a variety of agressive pass defenses during this season, don't see any defensive schemes/surprises  coming their way in the playoffs.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

OBrien might be feeling quite a bit of blame for the percieved sputtering* of the offense that he thinks belongs on Bradies shoulders. From his side it looked like there was a lot more involved in his emotions than that one pass.

*when an offense scores 27 (d scored 7) but makes enough mistakes to leave 14-21 points on the field

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts