Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BIGAPPLEORCHARD. Show BIGAPPLEORCHARD's posts

Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury

ESPN highlighting under-the-helmet microphone has Brady admitting he threw ball away on 1Q safety - "I had nowhere to get rid of it!".

Also 3Q injury to shoulder.  20/24 completions 2/0 TD/Int before shoulder 7/17 and 0/1 after. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury

it still was a bad call on the refs part.  They'll not make that call again, especially against Rodgers or Brees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No excuses.  It was a good call.  Brady was about to be sacked and there was no one anywhere near the ball when it landed.  The way the rule is written that's intentional grounding.  

In Brady's defense, once Tuck broke through, he really had no options except to take the sack or heave the ball and hope the refs were sleeping.  He only had three receivers in patterns and they were all double covered (the Giants sent seven guys into coverage). The two possible outlet receivers (Solder and BJGE) were tied up with the linemen.  Basically, the four Giants' linemen beat seven Pats blockers.  This has always been our problem with the Giants.  They're able to get great pressure with just four rushers.  Poor offensive play call on our part, good defensive play call by the Giants. I think we were hoping the play action would keep their defenders in close.  But the Giants weren't fooled and dropped everyone into coverage.  At that point, the play was a disaster unless Solder or Benny could make a catch as an outlet receiver. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Good points

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Had he thrown it in the vacinity of a receiver near the sidelines, but out of bounds (ala Tebow who threw it way out) he should have been ok.  It took Tuck quite a while to break through, and he didn't break through cleanly.  I thought if he actually hit Brady it might have resulted in a penalty for a low hit.

Brady should have gotten rid of it sooner and had the time to do so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury:
    [QUOTE]No excuses.  It was a good call.  Brady was about to be sacked and there was no one anywhere near the ball when it landed.  The way the rule is written that's intentional grounding.   In Brady's defense, once Tuck broke through, he really had no options except to take the sack or heave the ball and hope the refs were sleeping.  He only had three receivers in patterns and they were all double covered (the Giants sent seven guys into coverage). The two possible outlet receivers (Solder and BJGE) were tied up with the linemen.  Basically, the four Giants' linemen beat seven Pats blockers.  This has always been our problem with the Giants.  They're able to get great pressure with just four rushers.  Poor offensive play call on our part, good defensive play call by the Giants. I think we were hoping the play action would keep their defenders in close.  But the Giants weren't fooled and dropped everyone into coverage.  At that point, the play was a disaster unless Solder or Benny could make a catch as an outlet receiver. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Makes me wonder if, overall, it is better to throw an INT in that situation.

The thing you don't know is if, after the free kick, the other side will score. If they do, then it is 9 points. They are getting great field position with the free kick to start.

Now, if you throw it downfield for an INT, they get great field position, you still don't know if the defense will hold, but overall, the give is 7 points.

I doubt anyone would ever throw the INT because they expect the D to hold, but I thought it might be worth a mention.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

At this point, information like this gives more fuel to the fire for those who want to burn Brady in effigy for this loss.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

You don't make that call on tom brady in the super bowl, almost as bad a call as the catch out of bounds on mario manningham in the 4th quarter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

it was the right call by the refs,
    A bad offensive play call for the respective field position by Obie. I suppose, it could have been worse if a screen play or a quick out pass was thrown and it was intercepted.....lol Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury : Makes me wonder if, overall, it is better to throw an INT in that situation. The thing you don't know is if, after the free kick, the other side will score. If they do, then it is 9 points. They are getting great field position with the free kick to start. Now, if you throw it downfield for an INT, they get great field position, you still don't know if the defense will hold, but overall, the give is 7 points. I doubt anyone would ever throw the INT because they expect the D to hold, but I thought it might be worth a mention.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

I think croc in his post above has the best answer.  Brady's best bet would have been to throw it to the right sideline, either where Welker was headed or maybe in front of BJGE.  Both would have been risky throws though if they were in-bounds because of where the defenders were and possibly intentional grounding had they been thrown out-of-bounds.  An interception was risky because the receivers weren't that deep (Branch and Welker were deepest and both were running crossing routes between the 20 and the 25 yard line).  Giants would have had possession well within field goal range if they didn't end up with a pick six.  

Could Brady have gotten rid of the ball earlier?  I don't think anyone was open earlier.  Best he could have done was gotten out of the pocket, but until Tuck broke free, he had a good pocket.  Really weren't any good options on that play. The outlet receivers were engaged with blockers, the other three receivers were double covered, and Brady had no where to run.  Looking at the play, I do wonder if Branch could have run a go route rather than cutting in.  By cutting in he actually ran into double coverage.  He was initially in single coverage and if he had just run straight might have been a better target for Brady.  But I don't know what the play called for . . .  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommChairman. Show CommChairman's posts

In Response to Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury:
    [QUOTE]ESPN highlighting under-the-helmet microphone has Brady admitting he threw ball away on 1Q safety - "I had nowhere to get rid of it!". Also 3Q injury to shoulder.  20/24 completions 2/0 TD/Int before shoulder 7/17 and 0/1 after. 
    Posted by BIGAPPLEORCHARD[/QUOTE]

Even more revealing is the 2Q holding call on Kieth Boothe against Wilfork. Wilfork admitted to the officials that it was a bad call, yet the officials still enforced it. That led to a Giants punt and a Pats TD drive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Had he thrown it in the vacinity of a receiver near the sidelines, but out of bounds (ala Tebow who threw it way out) he should have been ok.  It took Tuck quite a while to break through, and he didn't break through cleanly.  I thought if he actually hit Brady it might have resulted in a penalty for a low hit. Brady should have gotten rid of it sooner and had the time to do so.
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]

I think why it took so long for the pressure from tuck and Brady holding on to it, was because Brady clearly was surveying the field to make a play - nothing was there and then it was too late. Against Baltimore there was limited plays to be made in that game as well - it looks like a good defense can shut our receivers out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

His arm was just fine on that Wes drop and the final drive as he was delievering bullets. 

He def was hurt/dinged up the drive after and we should have ran a lot more. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PorterRULES. Show PorterRULES's posts

In response to "Re: Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury": [QUOTE]In Response to Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury : Even more revealing is the 2Q holding call on Kieth Boothe against Wilfork. Wilfork admitted to the officials that it was a bad call, yet the officials still enforced it. That led to a Giants punt and a Pats TD drive. Posted by CommChairman[/QUOTE] Many football fans that I speak with couldnt agree with you more. That was clearly a TERRIBLE call and the ref knew it (why else would he ask Wolfork?). It totally changed the momentum of the game. The NYG looked like they were ready to go up 16 - 3 and take complete charge of the game. Instead, the ref seemed to feel the need to keep things more even....perhaps Buffalo Wild Wings rang up or something....so instead ther was a NYG punt and ample time for a NE TD drive. I've missed any discussion about this call on threads here, instead seeing endless discussion on the safety which was appropriately called (as generally agreed in this thread), the impact of injuries on NE outcome - remember ladies, injuries are part of the game, luck - you'd all do well to remember it was a chip shot shank that followed an absurd TD winning drop by Balt that punched your ticket to begin with.... In any case, congrats on making it to the SB. However, as ive suggested before, this team is on the downside of the hill. the oldest SB winning QB was 34...TB is now older and while he now has the chance to up that age, he's clearly not the same QB that he oncw was and was never quite what he was made out to be. If he never produced a SB winning TD drive in his prime, then why expect it now. If he could only manage small single digit SB victories with a shut down D, how can you expect a victory with this bend but don't break or concern yourself with TOP bunch of today?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Maybe if Brady makes the Super Bowl again the Coaching staff shouldn't have a 7 step drop called, as a first play, from inside their own 5 yard line.

Thank F'n God O'Blivious is gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe if Brady makes the Super Bowl again the Coaching staff shouldn't have a 7 step drop called, as a first play, from inside their own 5 yard line. Thank F'n God O'Blivious is gone.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

The truth

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BIGAPPLEORCHARD. Show BIGAPPLEORCHARD's posts

[QUOTE]You don't make that call on tom brady in the super bowl, almost as bad a call as the catch out of bounds on mario manningham in the 4th quarter
    Posted by p-dogg81[/QUOTE]

The rules apply equally to everyone, there is no Brady exception.  The ball landed 27 yards from the nearest receiver.  27 yards is further than any pass Brady completed all night.  It wasn't in the same zip code and more than one ref was reaching for the flag.

And you are the only person I have heard who saw the dozens of replays of Mario's catch and still thinks that it was a bad call.  Pick up the current Sports Illustrated.  It could not be clearer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]You don't make that call on tom brady in the super bowl, almost as bad a call as the catch out of bounds on mario manningham in the 4th quarter
    Posted by p-dogg81[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  The new york media had something to do with this. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury : Even more revealing is the 2Q holding call on Kieth Boothe against Wilfork. Wilfork admitted to the officials that it was a bad call, yet the officials still enforced it. That led to a Giants punt and a Pats TD drive.
    Posted by CommChairman[/QUOTE]
    Worst call of the game.  Wilfork didn't get turned, he was attempting to turn his back into the gap to clog up the running lane which is part of what makes him so good.  He understands his role and his size.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Maybe a 5 step drop on the opening play, in our own end zone, against a team that feasts on passing teams was a bad notion?

He could have stepped one foot to the right of the hash marks and thrown it away...  bad play by Brady.  Worse call by whoever made the offensive game plan to retry what already failed once in 2007 using an even weaker WR corps.

Has anyone rolled Brady out away from pressure like they starting doing in the 4th quarter of the 2007 Super Bowl... it worked then?  Apparently Obie didn't go back and watch the film from that disaster or else this second disaster wouldn't have occurred the same exact way?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Brady on Helmet Mic admits Intentional Grounding plus 3Q Injury": Many football fans that I speak with couldnt agree with you more. That was clearly a TERRIBLE call and the ref knew it (why else would he ask Wolfork?). It totally changed the momentum of the game. The NYG looked like they were ready to go up 16 - 3 and take complete charge of the game. Instead, the ref seemed to feel the need to keep things more even....perhaps Buffalo Wild Wings rang up or something....so instead ther was a NYG punt and ample time for a NE TD drive. I've missed any discussion about this call on threads here, instead seeing endless discussion on the safety which was appropriately called (as generally agreed in this thread), the impact of injuries on NE outcome - remember ladies, injuries are part of the game, luck - you'd all do well to remember it was a chip shot shank that followed an absurd TD winning drop by Balt that punched your ticket to begin with.... In any case, congrats on making it to the SB. However, as ive suggested before, this team is on the downside of the hill. the oldest SB winning QB was 34...TB is now older and while he now has the chance to up that age, he's clearly not the same QB that he oncw was and was never quite what he was made out to be. If he never produced a SB winning TD drive in his prime, then why expect it now. If he could only manage small single digit SB victories with a shut down D, how can you expect a victory with this bend but don't break or concern yourself with TOP bunch of today?
    Posted by PorterRULES[/QUOTE]

Anyone have any idea why this person is drooling in our forum?  Is there not someplace where your fellow viilage idiots congrgate to discuss the Giants?  You should go there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Long time Pats fan here... and I think Brady is top 2 all time but that was Intentional Grounding. Refs actualy did a decent job I thought. A couple calls were questionable but nothing that cost or gave a team a win or loss.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

it was the right call, i know because when it happened i said to myself "please dont throw the flag please dont throw the flag please dont throw the flag" and then "funk they saw it as i saw it"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The Giants players were the ones who alerted the refs of the call. They werent going to call it.

Sorry if this was already said..

This is why Justin Tuck was doing the Saftey signal before the fact.