Brady playing best football of his career

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Brady playing best football of his career

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

The Patriots are on a roll of late, catalyzed by a turnover-forcing defense and a stretch of play from quarterback Tom Brady that has been unrivaled by others in 2012. 

Since a Week 6 loss in Seattle, Brady has thrown 14 touchdown passes and zero interceptions, as the team has won five straight games in that stretch. It could be said that he is playing as well now as he has during any stretch of his 13-year career, which is what he was asked during his weekly appearance Monday on the "Dennis & Callahan" show on WEEI sports radio in Boston. 

"I hope so," Brady replied. "I hope I'm getting better and better and making more improvements. I think that's what our coaches expect of myself, that's what they expect of every player, is to keep getting better. There's really no reason anybody shouldn't. You should make your improvements, you should learn from your mistakes, and I think our team has done a really good job of that over the course of the season. We've just got to be able to continue to do it." 

Brady's not the only Patriot who has stepped up in 2012, as he's been supported by a stable of running backs that has continued to make an impact both as runners and receivers. He pegged that group, which includes Stevan RidleyShane VereenDanny Woodhead and Brandon Bolden, as the most improved from the start of the season. 

"There was a lot competition at running back in the early part of the season, and that whole group has really been a huge strength of our team," he said. "What our running backs have been able to do both in the pass game and the run game -- and not that I didn't think they could do it, it's just they didn't have the opportunity to prove it -- and I think what those guys have done, Shane [Vereen], Danny [Woodhead] and Stevan [Ridley] and Brandon Bolden when he's been in there, they've just taken advantage of their opportunities. It's really cool to see as a veteran player when young guys get opportunities and they take advantage of them." 

After playing Thursday night in New York against the Jets, Brady said this week feels a little bit like a bye week as the team prepares to face a Dolphins squad that he understands presents a number of challenges. 

"They won a big game yesterday against Seattle, a team we lost to," Brady said of the Dolphins. "I know that they've got a lot of players with a lot of talent. In the second game last year they played us tough. We didn't play very well in the first half of that game. Those players -- it's a team that we've always had a tough time with down in Florida. They're athletic, they can rush the quarterback, [defensive end] Cameron Wake is one of the best players that we play all season, very good third-down defense, good secondary. It's going to be a fun game." 

The stakes are high for the Patriots in Week 13, as a win would punch their ticket to the playoffs and clinch the AFC East division crown. However, Brady said that a win on Sunday wouldn't change his team's approach at all going forward. 

"No. It assures you a home playoff game. I think that's goal number one," he continued. "That's what we can accomplish this week. We always talk about championship games, and this is a championship game. You talk about must-win games, they're all must-win games at this point. We've been winning four or five games in a row now, and every game has been important, and as the season goes on, the next game is always more important than the one you just played. I think that's the case this week too."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Brady playing best football of his career

2007, 20010, 2011 and this year are all among the greatest of all-time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Yes, but, many still think even today, Rodgers is better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Ummm, did you see the game last night?  Rodgers sucks hard

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Actually over Rodgers career, Brady has been better. Look at the numbers. But Brady has years playing against the old contact rules that Rodgers didn't have to contend with.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Rodgers oline is horrible. I love Brady as much as the next guy, but you cannot put last night's game on Rodgers. That Giants dline has also been known to make a lot of QBs look bad.

Rodgers is every bit as accurate as Brady...However, I would say Rodgers is the most accurate QB while on the run. He make's some unbelievable passes while on the move. His receivers (most notably Finley) drop a ton of passes too.

And yes, it does seem like Brady is playing as well as ever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Best QB Ever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

In response to themightypatriots's comment:

BB.

The O Line and its depth is superior to that of what ROdgers has in GB.  Thank BB for that.  He's the GM here who cultivates the talent here, coached up brilliantly by Scarnecchia. Their All Pro LT is out.  Also, Greg Jennings was out.

Rodgers doesn't suck hard at all. You might, but he doesn't.

You are on a crazed O-line fetish of late. You use it to explain away every wrong assessment you have made. Same old BS spin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Agreed. He's not throwing picks, which is huge.

His deep throws are also better. Completions % could be better, but that's about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

He needs to pull it off in the playoffs though.

His last 2+ seasons (including this one) have been among the best statistically wise. Outside of the DEN game and the 2nd and 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl he has not been AS special in the playoffs.

5 straight games in the playoffs with an INT? That is a lot when you consider he's only thrown INT's in back to back games just ONCE in the last three regular seasons (how remarkable is that?)

If we get regular season Brady in the playoffs, then I really like our chances in the playoffs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

LOL @ trolls taking shots at Brady

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd still hold 10' as his best ever but this season is getting close. It's truely amazing and makes you wonder if he could go another 5 seasons and where that cliff actually is

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

LOL @ trolls making excuses for Rodgers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

He needs to pull it off in the playoffs though.

His last 2+ seasons (including this one) have been among the best statistically wise. Outside of the DEN game and the 2nd and 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl he has not been AS special in the playoffs.

5 straight games in the playoffs with an INT? That is a lot when you consider he's only thrown INT's in back to back games just ONCE in the last three regular seasons (how remarkable is that?)

If we get regular season Brady in the playoffs, then I really like our chances in the playoffs

Have you heard, playoff teams are better than the lot you play during the season?

Unfortunately our running was useless against the Ravens getting only 3 ypc (though Benny ran well). The Ravens had the top rated pass D in the NFL.

Other than that game Brady's INT rate was right in line with his career mark from the SB win years. Expecting Brady to put up gaudy numbers against the Ravens' D of old is unrealistic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I think 2006 was one of his finest years...That team had no business being what they were, especially with that horrific receiving corp.  If that defense had just held on a bit more (sounds familiar, no?), they would have completely destroyed the Bears that year.

As Rusty mentioned above, Brady has been brilliant since that Seattle game.  He's played, very very well...making the most of his opportunities.  He was a tad off in the Jets game at first, but he got going without issue. 

The only thing I'd chide him on at this point..."IF YOU'RE THROWING FROM THE ENDZONE...put it NEAR A WR or RB!!!!!! You will get called for it EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

The only thing I'd chide him on at this point..."IF YOU'RE THROWING FROM THE ENDZONE...put it NEAR A WR or RB!!!!!! You will get called for it EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!"

The only thing I'd chide him on at this point..."IF YOU'RE THROWING FROM THE ENDZONE...don't count on your 7 on 4 blockers to give you more than 4 seconds.!!!!!! You won't get decent protection EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think 2006 was one of his finest years...That team had no business being what they were, especially with that horrific receiving corp.  If that defense had just held on a bit more (sounds familiar, no?), they would have completely destroyed the Bears that year.

As Rusty mentioned above, Brady has been brilliant since that Seattle game.  He's played, very very well...making the most of his opportunities.  He was a tad off in the Jets game at first, but he got going without issue. 

Very good point 06' was a great year too. He had no receivers at all and still managed to have a great season.

One thing I can't understand at this point is why he's getting the intentional grounding penalties. He's on a run with them right now and I'm not understanding why. He's always been a smart player about knowing when and where to toss it away but the last couple games random intentional grounding penalties are unusual. Not really concerned about it though, but that is one thing Brady needs to keep an eye on as I think that really put them in a hole early last SB

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

LOL @ troll nitpicking the best QB of all time

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

06 was his best season, maybe tied with 07 because I maintained then and now that the 07 offense wasn't nearly as talented around him as people surmise. Who did he have that year in 06 ... ole bug eyes? What? A broken down Dillon? And a SB defense that was on it's last legs.  He took that team to the brink of the Superbowl, and had it negated by a bull faceguarding call and Heath Evans' too many men penalty that took a 3rd and short and made a 3rd and long.

At any rate ... Brady is always brilliant down the stretch. Every season he starts to pull away in the MVP voting or pull into contention. 

They need to get healthy, but with the emergence of Ridley and the addition of Talib, and Jones too, this could be the most talented team they've had since 2004.

It's not "smoke and mirrors" like Prolate and I were saying the past few years. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

2006 was his best year, as some folks have mentioned.  There isn't much difference between his talent level now vs. then but he was forced to do more and did so.

He turned chopped liver into filet mignon.  Biblical type stuff.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

06 was his best season, maybe tied with 07 because I maintained then and now that the 07 offense wasn't nearly as talented around him as people surmise. Who did he have that year in 06 ... ole bug eyes? What? A broken down Dillon? And a SB defense that was on it's last legs.  He took that team to the brink of the Superbowl, and had it negated by a bull faceguarding call and Heath Evans' too many men penalty that took a 3rd and short and made a 3rd and long.

At any rate ... Brady is always brilliant down the stretch. Every season he starts to pull away in the MVP voting or pull into contention. 

They need to get healthy, but with the emergence of Ridley and the addition of Talib, and Jones too, this could be the most talented team they've had since 2004.

It's not "smoke and mirrors" like Prolate and I were saying the past few years. 

I too was impressed by the 06 season - he was basically throwing to Caldwell and Faulk...pretty amazing he took us that far before the defense couldn't hold a three touchdown lead to the Colts. We would of won another Super Bowl that year if that hadn't of happened.

The numbers this guy is putting up and the efficiency he is operating at are legendary. We may never see a guy like this again aroung here...yet idiots put blame on his shoulders.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

if brady plays anything like this in the playoffs, the pats have a great shot to win a 4th super bowl this season.

Sections
Shortcuts